How long would it take me to become a webdev?

How long would it take me to become a webdev?

I can code (C and C++) but I'm a drooling retard when it comes to web: I don't know HTML or JavaScript and I don't know what frameworks are exactly or what DOM means and so on.

What does a webdev even do? Build websites right? So how hard can it be though: just buy a WordPress theme and make a few changes, and voila. Obviously I'm missing a lot.

Serious questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

webassembly.org/docs/c-and-c /
gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install nodejs

Couple of weeks if you are fast.
A year if you are slow.

>DOM

A shitty arbitrary tree that holds all HTML elements. Like texts, images, rectangles, semantical elements like form elements, that sort of shit. Technically it's similar to what XML does, but the APIs are even less auspicious.

Basically, there is the server side and the browser side. Some morons specialize on one side and another group of morons can do both, braggardly calling themselves 'full stack web dev'.

What basically happens is that the browser says to the server "give me site X, but since we can't remember our previous state, have this cookie I stored you little bitch." Then the server can answer accordingly. Also, databases. Also, thanks to browser side scripts, you can get more content with more requests while staying on the same page.

Also, while questionable, you can also pretend to have sockets.

Realistically, to reach shit-tier, your looking at 6 months to 1 year.

>webdev
>having any other tier than shit-tier

HTML is literally the easiest thing in the word, web dev is for people who want to be an """"IT expert/code artisan"""" without doing anything IT related

This

It doesn't matter how much experience you have, you will always end up "hacking" an element pixel perfect using position: absolute top, bottom etc.
You will always need to use shadows to stroke a text because CSS doesn't have fucking text strokes. You will always put your div in another div just because it just won't align correctly. You will always use negative padding and margin because padding/margining from the other side doesn't work for some reason. You will always copy/paste shit from other sites because "why the fuck not".

Client side web development (html, css and js) will always be hackerish, nonclean and unorganized, independend of how much 'pro' you call yourself.

just use flexbox
stop trying to support pajeets that are using 486 & ie3

back-end, front-end or full stack?

It's so easy you start laughing while learning shouldn't take more than 2 weeks maybe 3 if you are lazy.

You won't be zuckerberg#2 but you'll be able to make login register system with e-mail confirmation. admin systems like content editors and such.

What do you need to know?

Check HTML and CSS (just check, you'll learn this even without trying, special attention on CSS selector and you are good to go)

Study php, it's very weird and it has it's own way of doing things, You get used to it but it's kind of problematic still easy tho.

study javascript, if you know python or some other scripting language you'll feel natural here, my favorite language for the web, sadly no one wants to pay for muh animations and mu special FX

Ive been using sockets for the past 6 months and I'm still not really sure what they are. All i know is i give it serialized data, and the socket sends/receives it.

>All i know is i give it serialized data, and the socket sends/receives it.
That is the idea that sockets have in common.

Real network sockets happen to have their own port, UNIX sockets are a IPC mechanism and Web Sockets are about soft realtime communication in the browser which can't be done by normal requests. So what you just said is probably the only thing that defines a socket.

I decided to get into web stuff in January, started my first job (literally just modifying WP themes RN) a couple weeks ago. Used to be a mech engineer, love this industry, so fucking chill. If you're a perfectionist you'll hate it, otherwise get into it

please avoid posting mommy on this shit board.

Start with HTML. Thats markup language.
Then go javascript + HTML. markupt+scripting
Then go java+javascript+HTML.eveything
Then go full retard.

You can code in C and C++ but have a hard time with web dev? Are you shitting me kid? You probably write Hello World programs in C and C++ and call yourself good. Faggot.

Not like it's hard to program in C/C++.

*rolls eyes

Realistically, shit-tier can be done a lot faster than that. I took a front-end job in college while majoring in maths and my only prior experience was a month-long elective web seminar.
Give me a break. I realize that web isn't as glamorous and brag-worthy as the more esteemed parts of the dev world, but you can most certainly appreciate the work of a competent webdev.

That said, a good 75% of all web is shit-tier products made by shit-tier developers. The great irony is that most of the really shit-tier developers are CS grads who couldn't make it anywhere else and fell into web as backup job. They're completely cancerous.

That except don't bother with php unless you want to produce something absolutely crude.

You have no idea how many people I work with who studied C++ in college and can't grok basic JS.

75% of web if you count by raw number of sites yeah, but if you sort by page views and dollars behind web based products lel no. there are so many things that go into successfully scaling, maintaining, testing, and interconnecting with other apps a data intensive "web" product i always laugh when i see these threads, bunch of retards in community college who did a lamp stack demo are the only people who shit on web dev on Sup Forums it seems

It took me 10 months from the day I stated learning javascript on w3schools to land a front end job. If you go to a bootcamp it can take as low as 3 months.

It depends. If your just shitting out a static website or something like RMS has, then WebDev is easy and you can get to that point in about two weeks if you study. Getting to the point where you are able to build something that works in every major browser, is mobile compatible, looks nice, and scales well all on your own with custom solutions takes a good amount of practice and skill. Like everyone says, just start out with front-end technologies/languages like HTML/CSS/JS (When learning JS, try to learn ES6 and above, since it has a lot of creature comforts that will make your life easier.) Afterwards, you can take a pick of backend languages: PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, C#, and (sorta,but not really) Node.js. Those are the major choices and each of them have at least one decent framework (Something that make building backends a heck of a lot easier.) to pick from.

Also go to /wdg/, they'll tell you some decent stuff in between calling each other pajeets and various languages memes.

>Code in C/C++
>Not doing webassembly

Seriously why aren't you just doing webasm which will be default in all browsers soon. I believe FireFox and Chrome already activated it webassembly.org/docs/c-and-c /

In addition to web assembly, look at the front end developers handbook gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details

are you retarded ? web deb is nothing like normal programming. Most of the time is spent wading through markup language and figuring out how to make shit compatible with other shit.

I define "shit-tier" as anything lacking React/Angular/[insert latest trendy Javascript framework].

I doubt you learned jack shit at your little weekend seminar.

So which of those sockets am I using if I have a server running on my win 7 pc in .net framework with a typical walmart router? Also, since you seem to be in the know, is xml used for anything besides serialization?

Just use .net