Sup Forums, my computer crashes if I don't leave Minecraft running. I'm not joking...

Sup Forums, my computer crashes if I don't leave Minecraft running. I'm not joking. If any of you are into CUDA then for the love of god help me out, but even if you're not I hope I can bait one of you poor bastards into being as intrigued by this problem as I am.

Let me explain.

I have a 970 GPU running archlinux. (I've tried other distros but not Windows) Ever since I got my GPU, my computer has randomly frozen. No kernel panic, no dmesg, no errors, no display artifacting, just completely freezes. Video stays the same, caps lock doesn't enable, networking instantly stops.

EXCEPT when I have a video game running. Through testing of various games I have no shit found that Minecraft will give me the lowest chance of my computer crashing (though it still happens sometimes). So every day I launch Minecraft in a separate workspace, spin around so all the chunks load, and then leave it in the background all day. If I could have this happen automatically somehow then that would be fine, but I can't.

I'm on a mission to find some way to recreate whatever load Minecraft is creating on my GPU in some CLI application I can load as a systemd service. I am familiar with C++ but not at all familiar with CUDA, but here's what I've tried:

>Cryptocurrency mining
Works when I run at 100%, but my computer becomes unusable. I edited the source of some miner to run at about the same load as Minecraft, but that causes it to crash

>VRAMdisk
Doesn't work at all. I load up a 2GB video memory ramdisk and put random garbage in it, still crashes.

>CUDA float stressing
I found an application called gpu_burn that stresses with floats using CUDA, and I edited the source of that to run about 2x of the load and memory that Minecraft uses, but it still crashes.

>Video Card firmware
flashed multiple versions multiple times. Still crashes

>Video driver versions
More than I can count.

cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So what the FUCK is Minecraft doing to the GPU that everything else I've tested doesn't? I have spent way more time investigating this issue than all of the time I have spent launching Minecraft, but I've fallen deep inside this hole and plus I'm convinced that if I can somehow automate this load, I can tweak it to b
ring crashes from once or twice a day to far less. (Without Minecraft my PC will crash 20+ times a day)

Some additional info: I am running a 2560x1440 monitor at 144hz via displayport. I'm using nvidia-smi to check load

>RMA your GPU!
In my country, that would take weeks. I plan on getting a 1080ti when it is available in my country and then I can RMA it no problem, but for now I am stuck with this GPU. Can't use integrated graphics either because my motherboard doesn't support displayport and it's the only connector my monitor has.

>my computer crashes if I don't leave Minecraft running

>running archlinux. (I've tried other distros but not Windows)
Why is this so unsurprising

I know this might be crazy but have you tried something other than arch linux

Funny enough my old old computer crashed if i didn't have a youtube video running at all times, this was by the time i was finishing my thesis so i just had a single video looping all the time, sadly that video was taken down

>girugaloop

buy a new puter

Try running glxgears instead of Minecraft.
>then I can RMA it no problem
WTF? Do you have an indefinite RMA period? Usually you can't get your money back, only a replacement product, after N weeks since you made the purchase.

reinstall arch linux, its not too hard to reconfigure, good luck man.

It seems your install is just plain borken. Its not hard to reinstall it, just read the manual and reinstall the drivers, which is easy. Reconfigure whatever window manager or DE you had ( if i3, use alex bookers guide), or if you want, back up your config files for everything to github and reinstall. Good luck, I'm sorry.

Kek

Install gentoo

Good thing you aren't using Winblows or Applel, hue hue hue!

I've tried other distros of linux but not Windows. I use Linux for my job.

Do you remember how to get glxgears to run in excess of your refresh rate? mine is locked to 144fps (since 144hz monitor)
>WTF? Do you have an indefinite RMA period?
I would be going for a replacement, yes. In the end I plan on running a 970 and a 1080ti for GPU passthrough for VR.

>reinstall arch linux, its not too hard to reconfigure, good luck man.
ecks dee

Obviously you should try Windows on a spare partition before you reach any conclusions about the GPU. Run a benchmark/burn test (e.g., FurMark) on Windows. If you don't, you're like a patient who insists on being diagnosed without blood work or an x-ray.

Until you can RMA, get a converter for whatever port available to DP.

>(I've tried other distros but not Windows)
Try Windows 10. Linux (as you're finding out) just wastes your valuable time.

Did you read my post? This happens when the GPU is not under load, not when it is under load. I am trying to find a way to generate the right kind of load to avoid this issue.

Also there are people online complaining of similar problems using Windows and DP, which is what I'm using. There was a GPU firmware upgrade that was supposed to address some of these issues but it apparently didn't work.

I work as a linux sysadmin. Also read above.

>I work as a linux sysadmin
Digital Stockholm syndrome

>Did you read my post?
I did. My suggestion is a two-parter: first, try Windows to see if your GPU can idle normally on Windows; second, run a burn test on Windows (regardless of how the first part goes).
>This happens when the GPU is not under load, not when it is under load.
If your GPU has a hardware problem that goes away under moderate load, it may still hang in a burn test. If it does, you'll know your hardware is bad.

Have you tried changing the slot the GPU sits in? Could be getting a PCI bus pin fault when temperatures are above room but below load

I have run several types of stress tests, as I detailed in my post...

I have tried different PCIe slots, a different motherboard, and a different power supply.

Yes, on Linux, which may have driver issues.

Happens with nouveau and nvidia drivers.

RAM, NIC, HDD all check out?
Have you tried headless no GPU or headless?
Do you have a surge protector ?

Try processor.max_cstate=1 in your grub file if you have AMD or intel.max_cstate=1 for an intel CPU. linux can fuck up the processor energy save states sometimes, putting that into the grub file helped me, had the same problem, random freeze, programs would lock up one by one as I tried using them, then Xserver went and nothing in the log files.

superuser.com/

Also don't forget to update-grub, not sure if I have to tell you. As far as I remember the problem was linux put the CPU into a energy saving mode and then failed to recover from that.

Also I just remembered I had 2 graphics cards in my computer, one r9 290 one gt 710, and removing the nouveau driver for the unused gt 710 helped with the crashes. Not sure which of the two things actually did the trick, but it was one of them. Maybe the nouveau driver is buggy, try installing the nvidia propietary one.

Swapped memory, motherboard, not SSD though.
Yes I have tried without GPU and it doesn't crash.

As stated in my reply to the other poster this issue isn't present without a GPU, but I will try this out. Currently I'm running glxgears as someone else suggested without a crash, though my GPU is at 95% utilization causing the same lag that mining did.

If my PC hasn't crashed by morning I'll have to recompile glxgears like I did everything else I've tested with to run at a more reasonable load.

>Minecraft
Do you watch The Big Band Theory and wear video game related clothing?

Have you tried a different GPU? Just to verify that it is related to that particular device?

See if you can get a wall power monitor, or a battery backup.

Delete system32

what vid?

I don't have any other GPU to test with, also it doesn't happen without a GPU attached. I've also tested it in two different buildings with two different sources of power. I may eventually get a UPS anyway but considering different PSUs/power sources I don't think that's realistic.

Have you tried minetest or openarena?

This is a fascinating issue but the practical solution boils down to this process.

>Is your hardware damaged?
You could verify this by swapping out the GPU for a similar known-good one (same gen, say- a 950 would work) and see if it still happens. Alternatively boot to Windows and see if it still happens there, or try your GPU in a different (Windows) PC.

>If your GPU is damaged
There is no point trying to recreate a synthetic load to work around it, just RMA ASAP.
>Can't use integrated graphics either because my motherboard doesn't support displayport
Get a shitty basic PCIE GPU to tide you over until then? See if the lower end 7xx models have DP or find a used older gen card.
>If your GPU is not damaged
If your setup is supposed to be supported, and the GPU is fine, then other hardware is bad (mobo, RAM). Troubleshoot as usual.

I've tested with CS:GO, EVE Online, and Minecraft. Minecraft so far has worked the best, but I suppose minetest or openarena may be an option if they prevent the crash for similar lengths if I can configure those to automatically load into a game on boot.

The best scenario would be something I could just load up as a systemd service, though, because then I could truly forget about it until I get my 1080ti.

your computer has autism

maybe its undervolted and minecraft makes it use just enough power to be stable?