Does your country issue national ID cards? and how often are they used? does everyone have them?

does your country issue national ID cards? and how often are they used? does everyone have them?

I just found out on wikipedia a few minutes ago that apparently Iceland does issue ID cards but I had never heard of it and they seem very uncommon

Yes
Fairly often
Yes, by law

interesting
do you need to keep them on you or just own it somewhere?
and when do you use it? in what circumstance?

Yes
Mostly when young people want to buy alcohol but also for other ways to identify yourself like police or mail
You must have one by law but if you don't go to the office to get one, you simply don't have one.

Yes.
They're needed for everything that has your name on it (banks, government matters, jobs, buying something with a credit card, etc)
You get one when you're born, then another one when you're 12 and then another one when you're 16 (I believe they do this to update your signature and your profile photo). Of course if you lose it you can get a new one at any point.

No, I don't think so.

We have them. They are for people who don't have drivers license or passports.

Many things require photo identification, this is a government issued photo id that people without drivers license/passport can use.

I ind of want to get one but there's no point. I already have the other stuff.

You have to keep it with you always. Usually for exams, receiveing notifications, paying with the credit card, official shit like asking for something in a public administration

Yes, to people over 18, it's so you can vote.
All the time, for bureaucratic stuff, clubs and alcohol (not always) and voting.
Everyone over 18 is supposed to have them but they aren't mandatory.

Yes, those are for us driver's license-less losers

Yes, sort of.
They're national in the sense that everyone needs one and they're recognized everywhere, but they're actually issued by the states. You could have one from each state if you wanted to.
I moved around a lot so I had IDs from three different states throughout my life, I just made new ones once the last one was too old or in one case when I forgot the older one in the laundry and washed it.

what about bank cards? are they not accepted as ID?

Oh, I say you could have one from each state but you'd actually need to live in that state to be able to issue an ID there.

whats a bank card?

What "bank cards"? Debit cards? Of course not.

Banks are allowed to issue national IDs though. You can get them from the national banks, the police or our version of the IRS

like a debit or credit card with photo ID
unless it's something super formal it's probably the most common form of identification here

>Of course not.
why not?

our driver's license is our national id card for everything

I think debit and credit cards have no photo IDs on them in most of the world.

What if you have no license/can't drive?

same here, if you don't have a driver's license you either have to carry your passport everywhere or get a photo id from the local police station, otherwise they aren't used anywhere

>like a debit or credit card with photo ID
fuck this is the most efficient thing i've heard this year

Then you have a social security number, which you need to know for employers and welfare but that's it.

>pretty much all of the world doesn't use a kennitala

>they accept the driver's license as a passport equivalent in their countries
Can't make that shit up

No
We did have National ID card at one point but programme only lasted for 4 years. The only people that had to get them were non-EU nationals. A few other groups of people such as airport workers, people renewing their passport, Londoners and Mancunians, and under 25's opening a bank account were encouraged to get them, but it was voluntary.

Like 99.5% of the time you a drivers licence is good enough as a form of ID, even in banks

You can use a provisional drivers licence here.

For air travel and ferries, it depends on the airline or ferry operator. You only need a passport for the Eurostar, and you might need one for the Belfast to Dublin train but you don't need one for any other train services.

I doubt it's really that efficient. ID cards need a fuckton of expensive security and a centralized personalization process to be considered safe. Handing it all out to the bank - and throwing all that money down the drain whenever you change cards - isn't the best idea. Easy to get blanks, easy to modify.

I think so, but I've never seen one before.

Most people just use a driver's licence or passport as a form of ID.

We do have them, but their only purpose is identifying you as 18+ if you don't have a license, which is almost nobody because who doesn't have at least their L's at 18.

There is no national ID, every state issues their own ID. So there is no "US" ID card, but there is New York ID, Texas ID, Maryland ID, etc

this

Well I didn't mean replacing ID cards with cards issued by banks, just putting a photo on the credit card so you don't need to carry both when you purchase something.

>Margarita
>Sexo: M

topkek this actually exists?

You said it did...

no I mean having to carry a separate photo ID from your bank card when buying something with said card?
this is hilarious

I don't lol.

How do you do anything that requires Photo ID?
And more importantly how do you get booze?

We also have photo on bank cards in Norway. Very convenient since you carry it around anyways.

National ID cards are in development and the first people will get it during this year. Don't know if i will get one though.

Nah we just use our driver's license.

This is the third world, if you can't identify yourself then no business will take your credit card.

Mujer
Hombre

Spanish Nigel

>having to carry a separate photo ID from your bank card when buying something with said card
Are bank cards and ID card really big in Iceland?

I don't see the problem in carrying an extra card.
Fuck, in my wallet I have a bank card, driving licence, uni ID uni discount card, bank card which is also an ID (but few people rarely accept it), loyalty scheme card, train discount card and a blood donation card

You can get one for 50 euros but I'm pretty sure a passport or a drivers license is always accepted as well.

I generally only carry a single debit card
lost my driver's license and haven't bothered replacing it since I don't have a car anyway

if I'm doing something very formal that doesn't accept bank cards I just grab my passport since I do those things so rarely

Yes
Very often, in fact it's like a passport within the EU. You need them for any check like flights, board tickets in the train, VIP entries where they check your name etc.
It's manatory, when you get 16

Yep, they are equivalent of a passport. You can't vote without them and you can't do most bureaucratic processes without them as well (unless you got a passport duh).
I use it everyday in order to buy shit with my debit card, some establishments no longer accept driver licences as ID's. It's also a common think to ask when you are in bar, or a nightclub.
Really shitty tho, I find them quiet hard to obtain (It takes 1 month to be delivered and only can be issued when it's not election time). So if you got mugged or lost your wallet you better have a passport because there's no other way to make your everyday life activities. Well unless you are a neet or a non functioning member of society.

Everybody uses either a drivers license or passport here.

Apparently they offer one as an alternative but I've never known anyone who had one.

This is like H meaning Cold and C meaning Hot all over again.

You people can't make anything easy, can you?

>board tickets in the train
you need an ID for the train?

the only time you need an ID for the train here is if you bought a ticket with a train ticket discount card or if you take the eurostar

>board tickets in the train
No.

For you ?
Never

Excuse him, he is retarded. Of course you don't need an ID when riding the train.

Yes, if you bought them with your credit card they want a verification that you are the actual person

No, I always buy them with my credit card and I do not have to show my ID card.

Not really. Most people use their debit card as ID.

Yes, then you were just lucky

Um, you realize it says that ID is just an option not a necessity? You can use your credit card as identification. It says it right on your picture.

Yeah,we use it to certify everything.
You need it when you're approached by the police,you need it to open accounts on the bank,etc...

Yes, and I didn't say you can't take the train without it. I just said what you could use your ID for.

m8, government proposed having chips on our IDs with our associated credit history, brief medical record, bus fare card, etc. like 15 years ago.
A shame it never took off, but the Ks tried to propose it again a year or two ago.
Nothing new

Lol, no you did not. Just admit that you were wrong.

you also need one if you have a season ticket, but it's an ID issued to you by the train companies

fortunately you get one for free with the first season ticket you buy and you get a plastic holder so you always have both with you at the same time

I don't think the conductors check that the numbers match, just that it's in date and you are at least heading towards either station on the ticket

That name tho

>photo on a debit card
Does that ever cause problems when your family or friends use your debit card? If they notice that you're different from the person on the card?

What's stopping someone from just taking your card and pretending they're you?
Most big bussiness ask for your ID especially on big purchases, and especially if you're not an usual to the place

I wonder which EU country gives an ID card to other EU residents. I'd love to start a collection.

>smiling on your ID

Is this allowed? If you have anything other than a neutral expression on the picture you use to apply for the ID, the application will get rejected

You're going to have to explain how you can have all of those

same here

Your state license/ID is not a national ID, the closest thing the US has to a national ID is your passsport.

As far as I know every state also offers ID cards which functions exactly the same as a license except you can't use it to drive.

Yea, everybody uses them all the time for all kinds of reasons from buying alcohol or signing documents in e-government.

you can laugh,actually they even tell you to smile,of course there's no fucking need to show all your teeth on the process

The Swedish one is given by banks even to foreigners.

He's probably a thieving nigger. He is French after all.

you can go out without ID only 200m from your home, than you can be fined

Can I get one without stepping foot in Sweden?
I'm not paying for a plane ticket for a meme but I will pay postage

We had a referendum on a single federal identity card in the 80s but it didn't pass. Individual government agencies have to collect and maintain their own information on clients and there are restrictions on sharing data. That said, there's more information being shared between government agencies and with the private sctor than there ever would have been associated with the Australia Card.
Also my.gov.au sucks donkey's balls.

r8

It doesn't. The cashier doesn't pay attention to it.

doxxed

It's for residents only. You can get one when you're registering in some places (normally banks), and you need to be physically there to retrieve it.

>Iceland does issue ID cards but I had never heard of it and they seem very uncommon

similar here. I don't know anyone who has one. most people use driver's license for identification

not using chip

3rd world brasil

fuck
I guess the next best thing is one of those Estonian e-Residency cards, but the train ticket to get to London is more than the price of the application

>spending money on useless stuf

Numbers work fine.

Aðeins vegabréf,ökuskírteini og nafnskírteini eru gild skilríki.

but your id is so ugly with that fongerprints

but you are probably all criminals since birth

>euros need their IDs to be pretty, otherwise they'll throw a fit

no wonder ID cards are rare over there

Better than prostitues since birth.

The Id card includes what you study in college, if you are a donor. and if you are a retard/blind/etc.

It's around $5 and it takes a week to get it after you took the picture.

But they are the exact same thing as a license just no class number

Yes.
If you look like a kid you might get asked for it when buying alcohol (did fine since I was 16), other than that only if you're trying to rent something or for students at state issued exams.
You need to have a piece of ID on you at all times by law. For most people that's gonna be the driver's license or the passport, but I you don't have one of thoses (the state took it or you're a kid) it's ID card.
The ID card is also cheaper than the passport.

Your state can give you an ID too. I seen it before when doing my license.

Hve oft þarftu gild skilríki?
Ég þarf það ekki nógu oft til að ganga um með þau á mér

I use my old passport.
It was a lot of trouble to get a new one without ID.
Well, actually, I literally couldn't.

yes. most of the people have it and it's still made of shitty paper

flawlessfakeids.com :)

We have 2 passports, one internal and one external.

Throw back form commie times. Papers please!

I'm really surprised UK does have IDs, big brother is so big there, but you don't have to carry any ID. Most of the EU you can't leave you house without an ID.

No.

Never.

This enables illegals to flood into America and vote.

Forgot the pic.