/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 20 Trillion Operations per Second edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed) (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=454
pcpartpicker.com/list/HG6vVY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232173
pcpartpicker.com/product/yLDzK8/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbkw
pcpartpicker.com/product/svVBD3/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000&t=14&sort=a10&Z=16384002
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048&cm_re=Fractal_Design_Define_R5-_-11-352-048-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=coolermaster_hyper_evo_212-_-35-103-099-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132855
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01619708/
pcpartpicker.com/list/PgN24C
pcpartpicker.com/guide/zQNnTW/entry-level-gaming-build
pcpartpicker.com/user/Erickazo99/saved/dgBWZL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is an EVGA
>210-GQ-0650-V2
worth it? It's gold rated.

I know I heard the SuperNova ones were supposedly bad was recommended the G2-3, but said G2-3 are expensive as fuck, so I'm asking.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=454
Very good unit.

Thanks for the link.

Thinking of doing an upgrade, current rig is
>i5 2500k
>GTX 970
>2x8GB ram
>Asus P8P67 Pro

Because I live in a shitty eastern european country where the 7700k is over 50 euro(54$) more expensive than the 6700k I had to make some weird choices.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HG6vVY

>6700k
>2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair
>Maximus VIII Hero

Any suggestions on what to improve there? I'm kind of split between the VIII Hero and Ranger(I do like the extra 2 SATA ports but dunno if it's worth the 40 euro(42$) price increase.

Also, Ryzen is too expensive here(1700 is 35 euro more and 1700x is 80 euro more)

your specs are still decent, why not save up for money or at least wait for ryzen 5 chips to come and see if they're good or if intel lowers their prices on i5.

I assume you really want that motherboard for its features, right? Otherwise you could go with a more plain z170 and save more money instead of paying extra for gaymur shit. Actually you could probably go with a cheap z270 mobo and still have enough money for a 7700k

I've been delayin this for a while and there are some tech sales here so rather do it now.

Well, wanted the VIII Hero for the 8 sata slots.

The VIII ranger is pretty cheap here - 185 euro, same price as a Z170-A.

Got my new motherboard, rgb strips, 240mm aio, case fan, thermal paste, and 3600 cl15 samsung b-die dimms just waiting on my case now. This is the worst. I wanna UPGAYAYADE

there's many other boards with 8 sata ports

you're better off getting a cheaper z270 mobo and 7700k.

and R5 chips are just around the corner (they already released the lineups and prices).

still, your money and i cant stop you.

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232173
Will this RAM work with a R5 CPU and mobo?

Please rate what's inside in red. GPU & HDD are undecided and will be bought at a later date so don't comment on it please.

Upon this I'd also like recommendations for case, I don't know anything about cases, like dimensions, dust filters, etc... so I'm a bit lost. So far I only found one that seems alright which is this one :

pcpartpicker.com/product/yLDzK8/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbkw
pcpartpicker.com/product/svVBD3/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk

yes but why the fuck would you buy 2400mhz retarded gaymur ram with huge heatsinks that sticks up when you can get 3000mhz ram with standard heatsink that doesnt stick up for the same price?

good/10 but get a better cooler if you want to OC properly without a housefire

get a cheap 10 dollar cooler.

you cant OC on air and a stock cooler will do just as good of a job as a big bulky cooler.

thermal damage is non existent in cpus, raising the voltage is the only thing that lowers life time.

>you cant OC on air
please leave

You calling that part selection "good" has taken away all credibility from your request that I go to Sup Forums.

Your statement on 2400mhz vs 3000mhz shows you only parrot things you read. There are other options but you are not aware of them because you don't really know how computers work, you just read "3ghz is best value in ram" and repeat it.

Die. die. die. die. leave. i hate you

>airlet thinks he can bully anyone
im running 240mm water AIO.

fuck off retard.

>but get a better cooler if you want to OC
I'll only OC in a couple years when I'll need it I think, until then I won't up the voltage much at all I think as it's unneeded for what I'll do.

But for a better cooler, I was thinking the Cryorig H5 Ultimate (should fit since the RAM I picked is low profile) or Noctua NH-L12; thoughts?

Unless you can provide a source on this I'm afraid I'll still go with a medium cooler, I'd like to not have constant 80°C.

Because it was cheaper. And because I'm getting a B350 mobo which only supports up to 2666

>you cant OC on air
My 4,6ghz 6600k begs to differ

Go ahead and post proof.

Pick of case + pick of temperature and OC from your monitor on full load.

but it's not cheaper if you can get 3000Mhz RAM for the same price you fucking retard

you're pathetic and retarded. try reading a single article where they compare cpu coolers, there's fucking thousands of them if you knew how to type "cpu cooler comparison" into google, you fucking imbecile.

Uhh you can but you're gonna have to use a huge ass tower and check ram/case clearances

>you're pathetic and retarded. try reading a single article where they compare cpu coolers, there's fucking thousands of them if you knew how to type "cpu cooler comparison" into google, you fucking imbecile.
>no proof
good try retard.

Show me a 3000mhz kit thats cheaper.

>no proof
are you blind or just fucking retarded?

>you cant OC on air

By "air", do you mean you have no cooler of any kind on the cpu, or do you mean you have fans on the cpu and not a liquid cooler on the cpu?

I sure you have a cooler on your 6600k cpu. I've read several threads where people have lost that cpu to OC'ing above 4 ghz WITH a cooler. Coolers are cheap enough. Superb coolers are available for plenty cheap. You could get yourself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for $25. You could get an excellent liquid cooler for $100 (Corsair H100i). Both of those would be preferrable to spending $250 for another 6600k and perhaps also $150 for a motherboard.

tl;dr - unwise to OC a 6600k to 4.6ghz without a cooler on the cpu.

He's obviously baiting you. Just give up, we all know he's wrong.

>My 4,6ghz 6600k begs to differ
>Intel Core i5-2500k
>nigger thinks I cant read.
>still no case pics
nice try nigger.

Where's your 6600k?

i said 3000Mhz RAM was the same price as the fucking 2400mhz shit ram for $110 you posted, learn to read, retard.

pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000&t=14&sort=a10&Z=16384002

>implying samefag
>implying this isnt better proof because 2500k is older and runs hotter than a 6600k
please KYS

>implying samefag
where's your brain?

>>implying this isnt better proof because 2500k is older and runs hotter than a 6600k
proof?

case proof?

fuck off nigger if you arent going to post either.

Hmm, so you think going for a 7700k is worth the extra 50 euro? 7700k is 390 euro here and 6700k is 340, so thats about 20% price increase for a ~5% performance increase.

4.4ghz 6600k coolermaster hyper212
max temp: 51c on any core

Should I buy a new case for my build or can gut and use my old 2008 HP a6750y's mid size atx case? Is there something I'd get from a newer case that I wouldn't get from this one?

my coolmax v600 600w psu is dying, is an evga b1 600w psu good for a future upgrade to 6700k + 1070. I would the psu be silent under load (fx 8320e + 7850 current build)?

EUfag here and the Asus PRIME Z270M-PLUS is at less than 130€ where I live. Check your amazon and see how much it costs.

Pretty sure it has enough features too. It's a miniATX I think.

still no proof.

pics of case, pics of temp and OC from the monitor.

it OCs higher, but if it's worth €50 more is up to you. but it might not be that much more if you wait until Ryzen5 is released.

Better airflow and more front io, usually. And aesthetic.

Can't do that while phoneposting
>case
Corsair carbide 100r
>temps
~30c idle, highest i saw during my usual load was 65c

>still no proof
>admits to phoneposting
fuck off nigger

He's obviously baiting, it's common knowledge unless you put liquid metal all over your CPU and use a mini fridge to cool it it's L I T T E R A L Y impossible to overclock.

Stop responding to him.

Askimg for proof on a site where people pist random screen caps and snips of unattributed "benchmarks" and charts without even links. Where the goal posts are always moving and somehow low rez gaymen tests are now invalid after decades of use because g thats why

Rake yo leafs faggit

Saged

I only use liquid nitrogen, cause I'm not a fucking pleb.

>Should I buy a new case for my build

Depends on the build. If you plan to get a high-end cpu and gpu with the intent to do some overclocking, I'd go with a new case because your case appears to have poor airflow potential. I strongly recommend the Fractal Design R5.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048&cm_re=Fractal_Design_Define_R5-_-11-352-048-_-Product

I'm not the same guy, buy I will get you your pics one second

I recommend fractal design as well.

All other cases are nigger-tier, they just can't compete.

How is the Evga gtx 1070 acx 3.0? It is a good choice?

here are my temps, case pic coming

When are custom 1080ti coming out?

thats not OC'd you retard.

I asked about cases here but instead people argued about air coolers so if you can help please do I'd appreciate it.

Also are Fractal cases big enough if I end up buying a tower cooler?

okay I give up

my mistake, it is.

what cooler is on there?

My point still stands. Why get 3000mhz RAM when the mobo doesn't support it?

do you really think they would be as popular as they are if they couldnt fit every tower air cooler on the market?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=coolermaster_hyper_evo_212-_-35-103-099-_-Product

pic of case or its fake.

Cheapest I could find that one is 155 euro but it has only 4 SATA ports and in general I ain't a fan of miniATX.

take a pic of with your phone.

Thanks for the info. The a6750y's motherboard died and probably took the ram with it. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. I guess since the case isn't good for higher end builds, I should probably make sure I don't invest too much into the parts I put in it.

>I guess since the case isn't good for higher end builds, I should probably make sure I don't invest too much into the parts I put in it.
wrong. you can just switch the case. the only thing you have to worry about is the PSU being some cheap shit.

Reposting. My motherboard( newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132855 ) says asus aura on it. It just got here. I have a RGB strip from phanteks because I also ordered a phanteks case and the strip says it works with asus aura. I see no rgb header on the motherboard nor is it mentioned in the manual. Do i just plug it into a PWM case fan header????

alright its real my nigga.

edit: thats a different pc, fake as shit

I don't know how to help you

record a video of all the cables going to your pc with the air cooler to ensure that the monitor is connected to that pc.

show the monitor in the video as well.

stop feeding the troll you retard

The psu is 300 watt.

Anyway, are you saying it's not worth using the case at all? All the parts in it that weren't damaged by the motherboard dying are probably too old to be used for a modern build, right?
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01619708/

>can't even watch a youtube video and run a virtual machine at the same time, that the cpu cooler starts sounding like a hair dryer

at least i'm getting a better one soon

no im saying you dont need to buy shitty parts just because you have a shitty case.

but you might want to upgrade that PSU so you can buy better parts.

I've owned computers for over 25 years. I've never had more than one video card at a time. I've never had more than two HDD's at a time. I haven't used a DVD drive for at least the last eight years.

After giving that some thought, it appears that I don't really need an ATX Mid Tower. I was about to go with the Fractal Design R5. After giving it some thought, I think I will go with the Fractal Design Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower. It seems like all the size I've ever needed. I'm going to put three fans up front (thus, the two added Noctua fans). Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/PgN24C

One other question: I'm wondering about the fans. The case comes with two 120mm Fractal Design GP12 fans, and I am adding two 120mm Noctua NF-F12 fans. I want three fans up front. Should I use one of the Noctua to push out the back or should I have both Noctua pulling from the front?

>it has only 4 SATA ports
Doesn't that only mean you can only fit 4 SSDs/HDDs? Or am I missing on something here?

yes, exactly

unless it has m.2 or some meme port

I see. Pretty much like ape user above me I've never had more than HDDs at once so the 4 SATA ports is really not bothering me, I'm still gonna order it.

Another stupid question : currently running an old 232GB Seagate HDD with Win7 - will I be able to put it on my computer in slave mode without problems? My future OS will have Win10 on a SSD.

I have $1500, what the fuck do I get. No peripherals needed.

No problem, just remember to connect your old drive *after* installing windows 10 and your motherboard drivers, this is very important

Yes of course, I meant to do that only after I'm done configuring everything, etc. Cheers.

What monitor(s) do you have? what are you planning to do with your computer?

I did something similar, my old drive couldn't be detected by windows, I had to install the AHCI drivers specially

>AHCI drivers
I'll take notes thanks.

I live in Aregentina and i'm about to sell my old gtx 760, what should i do, i have three options:
>1- gtx 1060 at 330
>2- rx 480 at 355
>3- Wait till the new cards
wat do?

Depends 100% on what game you're upgrading for. All of the games I play are like 20 fps faster on a 1060 than a 480.

In the mean time is this not the worst feeling in the world. I want to STAAART. Haven't done a full rebuild since 2011.

pcpartpicker.com/guide/zQNnTW/entry-level-gaming-build
I kind of just want to go with this build they already picked. Are there any problems with this? It would be my first time building a pc.

I'm an American with a budget of $400-$600. I already own a keyboard, mouse and a monitor.
Is there a guide for a decent gaming PC? I don't need a lot of power, I've mostly been a console gamer.
[spoiler]I would pirate Windows.[/spoiler]

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a good budget build.

What's your budget?

Should I upgrade my mobo? When i built my pc a few months back I cheaped out on my mobo and got a Asus z170-E (not cheap, but def not the best) and I wanted to upgrade to,one with more I/o in the back (already using every usb port) and better oc capability, is it worth it? Money isnt a problem but is it that much of a hassle and should I just wait for my mext build?

About $600.

Is 650W overkill for ?

I can save some money by going EVGA 500/600W Bronze.

Do you absolutely need the 1TB now? You don't have any HDDs right now you can just use on top of the 240GB SDD you're taking and buy 2TB later down the road? Samsung make slightly better SSD by the way, with longer warranty, but again a bit more expensive. SanDisk is fine I think though.

Not a fan of the Dark Team RAMs but who knows maybe someone will prove me wrong. I bet Corsair or G.skill ones are just a few bucks more expensive. Are you taking 2x4GB for dual channel?

Also you should google which RX 470 is best / what their differences are and decide which one you think would fit you and your budget best.

I have an 8 year old 750 gb hdd from my dead prebuilt that might still work.
I can probably go a bit over my budget if it's for the sake of warranties and longevity. Which Samsung ssd should I get instead?
I changed the ram to corsair.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Erickazo99/saved/dgBWZL

Sadly this puts you fifty bucks over budget, but leaves room for upgrades (ram, storage, etc)
Should do great in just about all games at 1080 60fps high setting at least. Throw the list around and get input from others for better ideas. Also, having microcenter nearby helps for that sweet sweet mobo+cpu combo deal

Thanks, i meant to ask whether its better to upgrade to 480/1060 or waiting for the new cards.

Forgot to mention you could go for a cheaper GPU but RX480 is currently best bang for buck i believe