Microsoft will block ALL updates for Win7 and 8.1 on Kaby Lake and Bristol Ridge/RYZEN:

Microsoft will block ALL updates for Win7 and 8.1 on Kaby Lake and Bristol Ridge/RYZEN:
dsogaming.com/news/microsoft-blocks-windows-update-from-being-used-in-windows-78-1-on-amds-intels-newest-cpus/

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/3174225/microsoft-windows/microsofts-support-rules-for-windows-10-ltsb-void-allure-to-enterprise-customers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>oh no my 8 year old OS is not supported anymore

fuck off and move on with your life and embrace the future which is WIndows 10

cuck

But user, they are only removing support if you're using new CPUs. Which doesn't make any sense.

>Which doesn't make any sense.

it doesnt make sense for retards

>they are only removing support if you're using new CPUs. Which doesn't make any sense.
It does make sense. They aren't going to cater to holdouts. Either move to a different OS or install Windows 10.

>They aren't going to cater to holdouts.
But user, they are only removing support if you're using new CPUs. Which doesn't make any sense.

>CIA is the future
That's a little bleak isn't it?

>windows

boo fucking hoo
Whats the matter, your windows overlords didn't want to keep shoveling you free updates?

I guess you better install Win10 and start stretching out your asshole, you obviously have no choice but to use Windows

Wincucks permanently rectally shattered

The problem is that microsoft has become abusive with windows 10 but at the same time they use monopolistic practices to have a lock-in with formats and APIs (the monopoly is getting weaker tho).

So a lot of people "needs" windows because a piece of software they actually need is windows-only but they don't want to deal with microsoft's bullshit, so they use the latest version where microsoft seems to still care about what their users think of them (the magic of monopolies and feeding the ignorant masses with publicity).

The most logical step would be to search for a nicer software provider and to ask the software creators to support those operative systems but a lot of people was trained from a young age on how to use microsoft's products and obviously they don't want to invest any time learning anything else, so using "the last good version" is the only alternative for that people sadly.

says more about linux that people try to avoid it as much as they do

No, it does not, and stop repeating yourself.

Do you complain that MS-DOS doesn't work on your year-old CPU?

But user, is actually does work.

You're missing the point that Windows 7 and 8.1 run fine but aren't allowed to get updates.

8.1 is still in "full support" according to Microsoft.

Good thing offline updates are a thing.
Also
>Updating windows

Linux doesn't have this problem. Seriously.

Disgusting.

So, if your business relies on something that isn't compatible with Windows 10 for a bevy a reasons, you're apparently just supposed to fuck-off if you want new hardware?

No but there is the
pacman -Syu
Problems.

Who fucking cares.

EntLTSB N

the point is there were no core changes between skylake and kabylake

Windows 7/Server 2008R2 is still supported till 2020. Security updates. So wtf. Not that I give a shit. I'll just grab whatever the last round of updates are for if I ever need to do a fresh install and just sit back. My current hardware will last a long time yet. (I've got spare mobo/gpu/ram). Sata Spec ain't gonna change anytime soon and win 7 supports drives like up to 250TB thanks to gpt.

if your a regular consumer that uses the normal os which is ubuntu then nop...

just use wsus

Nobody cares

And what problems would that be?
Once every 3 years or so there will be a major version change, but users are warned a long time in advance.

It's more like intel didn't right graphics card drivers for Windows 7/8.1 so Windows Update it warning the user that their OS is supported by their processor. Intel is the one who writes drivers for Intel GPUs not Microsoft.
Power users don't use Windows Update, so this is more of just a warning for the uninformed.

Disgusting.

>>Updating windows

This. Who the fuck even updates Windows? I've barely done it once in fifteen years since XP days. Using 10 now. Only issue I experimented was related with some msi installer thing in XP, which I had to install a single small update.

But can't this only happen if you install the update that added it?

Nothing stops Microsoft from breaking updates like they did with 7.
And make the update that fixes them the one that blocks them.

If you're not using an autistic distro then you're fine.

But win7 didn't ship with a 'feature' that breaks updates if I have a Ryzen CPU?
How are they distributing it?

Intel spends billions in R&D each year and it's naive for you to just assume there wasn't any actual updates between skylake and kabylake.

Because turning windows updates into a trojan that serves to download another trojan to force people to install spyware without their permission wasn't enough, now M$ must break their own license terms by ending support for win7 early.

I fucking hate those CIA niggers at Microsoft. I'm sure there's some way to spoof your processor and bypass this at least.

this

Not without running windows in a VM or flashing the cpu rom.

Just download updates manually if you actually want them for some reason

Not how it works in windows land.

How so?
I download all the updates manually because the updates is a POS

Not anymore you don't.

Sure you do
Here is the latest 'important update' from just days ago

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54857

OK shill

Your welcome, and remember, windows 7 is best windows.

Can you still just install updates manually with something like the Simplix pack?

You are the reason why win 10 works the way it does.

You can literally look up the die maps.

No it doesn't

If you have a regular Ivy bridge processor for example, you still get windows 7 and 8 updates. but if you upgrade to a kaby lake processor, you stop getting updates even though your OS is the same

It doesn't make sense AT ALL

this will singlehandely get me to use lincucks if it isnt remedied

>2017
>still using Windows

What viable alternatives are there, retard

Even microsoft employees don't like or use windows. They mostly prefer OSX, but some of them use GNU.

For many people NOT in the IT world, Windows is literally their only option. It's sad, but true.

Who exactly? Even if you use office products, which is extremely rare nowadays, there's O365 now.

Literally most engineering fields, like CE, ChemE, ME/AE, SE, and parts of CE/EE. They have to use software that is exclusively supported on Windows.

Source: College of Engineering IT support.

Yeah no. I'll use linux since I dont play vidya and already have a mac and the productivity suite i use for work runs on mac too. Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot, sad thing is this will only make apple sales grow. Oh well. Red Hat enterprise 7 it is for my next operating system

>not using win7 in a virtual machine that blocks ms spyware

What are you, a cuck?

>there are people who unironically believe this
MY FUCKING SIDES

Laugh it up cuck. Not an argument.

0.2 rupees were added to your account pajeet.

k.

Are there people who really care about windows updates of all things? When have they ever been relevant to anything?

I've got Windows 7 SP1 already installed. Is there anything significant after that point is it it just the usual security patches?

>Comfy XFCE Mint on laptop
>QXL Windows 7 VM that can run 1080p youtube and pass audio.
>Can run all Windows college shit on it
>Able to play 50% of gaming library native 75% with wine.

Do it.
Pull the trigger.

Can you play dolphin emulators games and morrowind? If you can I'll switch in a heartbeat

Yes you double autist. Dolphin runs better for me in Linux than it did in Windows.
Morrowind runs fine in Wine

You cannot install older LTSB versions too(and expect updates):
computerworld.com/article/3174225/microsoft-windows/microsofts-support-rules-for-windows-10-ltsb-void-allure-to-enterprise-customers.html

This, 7fgas don't really have a right to complain but there's no reason why 8.1 has been abandoned even though it's still commercially supported.

nice, wait what about dwarf fort?

>current year
>autoupdating anything
It's like standing with your ass out in the open and get surprised when they ram it with bbq

No, no, no. You see, just earlier today I had to MANUALLY DELETE ONE FILE to get Arch to update. Outrageous. What is this time sinking OS?! ONE FILE! That's like, more than no files!

>upgrading to Ryzen blocks the MS botnet
A good deal if you ask me.

>implying people still not on 10 won't get their screen full of death threats if they don't upgrade this millisecond
>implying it won't end up with the return of gwx in full nazi mode

good, would be nice if linux also shrunk down
fuck diversity, it only wastes human resources

Make at least 2 things decent before moving on.

If we go the fuck diversity route I say we keep everything for clouds and supercomputers and drop the shit (You) need to avoid learning all their management features.

Because (You) don't need that diversity, right?

How do we force developers to start porting to linux? Most of the 3d rendering things I use have all began to move to linux, but there's still a few critical programs that refuse to do it. It doesn't even appear to be a financial issue often it seems like they're simply too lazy or out of spite because they don't like customers telling them what to do.

They could make every update released from here-on-out hard-depend on the update that breaks updates. Any time you go to update, the hard-dependency has to download first, install, and then cuck you out of installing the other updates. But I dunno, sounds like a lot of extra work when doing nothing extra would still get them 90% of the intended effect (making people begrudgingly update as they're not persistent enough to avoid specific updates).

Don't use Windows and especially don't use Windows 10. That will force them eventually.

I'm supporting Vulkan by not wanting to switch to Windows 10.

Spread FUD about Windows, mock your mates who use Windows and make them extremely annoyed and sorry for using Windows. Do same to strangers, just random people you see on street.

Let's not have Microsoft close us into their proprietary ecosystem.

Dorf fort has a native linux version, it's on their website.

>How do we force developers to start porting to linux?

Get more people using Linux. Fix Linux so people don't need to go under the hood.

I though you couldn't install 7/8 on babby lake in the first place due to chipset drivers screwing up?

>Get more people using Linux. Fix Linux so people don't need to go under the hood.
It's not a userbase problem, linux has become quite common in the 3d animation industry but zbrush and adobe refuse to port anything. It mostly happens with programs that have few competitors. Linux developers should consider an initiative to target those sort of programs and develop an open alternative. The important thing is to keep the UI similar so users can switch without training.

Same with video game engines, if FOSS linux people would collaborate to use weaponized autism to create a high performance vulkan game engine written in C that is biased towards desktop linux use but still multiplatform lazy game developers would use it. Look at unity it's written in fucking c# and people still use it. If you seize control of game engines you get to control which APIs and platforms succeed.

>not updating windows
do you want to get fucked by exploits?

> chipset drivers
Yes, but it's possible to install Win7 on a 100 series chipset.

well, more reasons to stay on sandy bridge and not upgrade

When... I forgot the name. It's the open source os that tries to be Windows... Ah yes, React OS. When it becomes advanced, I'll use it! Now I use Windows 7.

I run several machines with XP, Vista, 7 and 10 without a single update in years and never had any problem. In fact, I've had LESS problems than people who update since I've never had to deal with windows taking over the machine when I need to use it or updates breaking things.
Now if 95% of the userbase will happily click every .exe "photo" they get in mail when there's no one around to slap their hands no amount of updates will help them stop being idiots.

>anecdotal evidence

>force
Not so fast, communist.

Sadly it is when most of the home users can't tell computer from washing machine as the result of OS makers efforts at expanding the market for the last 15 years

Windows 7 is not out of extended support.
Security updates and bug fixes that have literally nothing to do with what processor it's running on shouldn't be denied arbitrarily.

99 problems but being used aint one.

>i'm a normie that easily caughts every harmful piece of code online
>needing papa microsoft to protect me from that

Please.

>Future is Windows 10
Fucking kek, the future is Windows dieing as fast as MySpace you retard, Windows 10 is a festering boil.