Laptop rage

Is it just me or is buying a laptop incredibly frustrating?

There are so many different models out there and 90% of them are shit and/or targeted at retards, so you end up sifting through an endless stream of garbage just to find something that looks alright ON PAPER, but is still not guaranteed to actually be decent in practice.

I just want something lightweight/portable with a 12-14" screen, SSD and at least 4GB of RAM.
It seems like there is nothing of this sort for under $500 new. For some reason the retarded big laptops with fucking optical drives in them are cheaper.
How about used? Don't tell me I have to buy a fucking Thinkpad, surely there's something newer and not as bulky, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitebook-840-128-SSD-12-GB-Core-i5-4300U-1-9-GHz-Windows-8-1-Pro-/371786138995?nav=SEARCH
m.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G2-HSTNN-I26C-4-Core-i5-DC-5300U-2-3GHz-4GB-14-Laptop-No-HDD-/272592674320?nav=SEARCH
m.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G3-14-Intel-i5-6200U-2-30GHz-8GB-128SSD-win-10-MSoft-office-/152472301338?nav=SEARCH
amazon.com/Chromebook-C202SA-YS02-Ruggedized-Resistant-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489741386&sr=1-1&keywords=chromebook
m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Elitebook 840.

hp zbook

there are two types of laptops in the world. macbooks and the kind poorfags buy. the reason the non-macbooks are all retarded is because they have to give poorfags a gimmicky reason to justify their shitty purchase.

But macbooks are a shitty purchase themselves. Stop being poor, buy a real laptop. You try to come off as rich when you buy a macbook, but in reality you'll be buying the base model of what's already the cheapest and shittiest "pro" laptop on the market.

Adults buy Elitebooks, Latitudes, and Thinkpads.

>$1000
Anything under $500?

Not funny.

I'm not really considering a Mac yet, but I totally understand why people buy them.
Apple offers a handful of models with easy names (none of that XYF346-72gUAVB shit) and you know you'll get something decent.

You were totally right but then went full retard on the last two lines. Of course smaller stuff costs more dumbass; also what the fuck with that poorfag budget? You wouldn't buy a decent desktop with that, and it's a fact that laptops are more expensive than desktops.

>what the fuck with that poorfag budget

Because I said I'm open to second hand stuff and I DO NOT NEED A POWERFUL LAPTOP. I could live with Core2Duo-ish performance, but it should be newer and have decent battery life (not a literal C2D).

m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitebook-840-128-SSD-12-GB-Core-i5-4300U-1-9-GHz-Windows-8-1-Pro-/371786138995?nav=SEARCH

Also, I totally WOULD buy a sub $500 desktop. A $300 desktop will do anything outside of new games.

m.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G2-HSTNN-I26C-4-Core-i5-DC-5300U-2-3GHz-4GB-14-Laptop-No-HDD-/272592674320?nav=SEARCH

m.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-840-G3-14-Intel-i5-6200U-2-30GHz-8GB-128SSD-win-10-MSoft-office-/152472301338?nav=SEARCH

Nice. Not as cheap in EU, though.

I know. Same as in aus, they go for roughly 400usd here for the 840 g1.
Still a good deal.

Is it really over 500 in the EU though?

amazon.com/Chromebook-C202SA-YS02-Ruggedized-Resistant-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489741386&sr=1-1&keywords=chromebook

Problem solved.

A 300 dollar desktop can do new games though, Just not on ultra.

>16GB Flash Storage

I'm afraid this won't cut it. I need to install Windows and have another 100-200GB space.

>want to buy a high resolution laptop
>all of them are touchscreens
Laptops are shit

Use the fucking cloud, you can't be a chooser when you're poorfagging.

Protip: buy only business class laptop hardware.

Bam, you just eliminated 99% of the crap out there and you're left with the cream of the crop for solid reliable use laptops.

Dell Latitude and Precision, HP Elitebook (NOT SPECTRE, that's consumer class crap), or Lenovo ThinkPads in the T/W/X series only.

Protip: Anything made by Apple is consumer class hardware, believe it or not.

Nice buzzwords fag. What about military-grade battlefield-certified tactical laptops?

>buys $2500 Thinkpad
>gets shitty screen with 720p, 200 nits, 40% RGB and PWM

I'd rather use a macbook for business than a chinkpad.

>Dell XFR
>it's capable of deflecting small caliber weapons fire
>can be used to smash other rugged laptops like Getac and Panasonic Toughbooks into little tiny pieces

Try harder, son.

Thank you for outing yourself, you punk bitch.

What are some things to check if you want to buy a laptop that lasts:
- How the cooling is laid out, if it is easily cleanable (no compressed air bullshit) and replaceable. It's easily the most fragile shit in your laptop, easily gets clogged and is unique for every model, so hard to replace.
- If service manuals are freely available (thanks Lenovo for still doing this)
- If it is sold in large quantities in your area, so you can get used replacement parts cheaply when the time comes (mainly hinges, enclosure, cooling, ribbon cable, etc...)

Of course other technical specs are important too, but they are more available and you check them anyway.

>just 6000 bucks
>not sold anywhere anymore because it was such a meme that it flopped

I can buy a Pine64 and wield some steel plates to it to make it bulletproof. It could easily stop shots from an AK-47 at a few feet and it would cost less than $1000. These memes are for retards and you're one for falling for them.

Used MacBook Pro 2012 is literally everything you want

>goes cheap and tries to make it sound "special"

You're funny, kid.

>buy macbook
>gets a third the battery life of thinkpad
>can't use in sunlight because shitty glossy screen

Recently got a refurbished EliteBook with 8GB of RAM, replaced the HDD with an SSD. Feels solid. Consumer laptops are trash.

I struggled until I landed on the Lenovo Yoga 710.

I did a quick 4 min run down on the pro's and cons.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw

Xiaomi notebook air 12.

Done.

Just build one yourself user.

How do Elitebooks compare to Thinkpads?

I wouldn't mind the old Thinkpads if they weren't so fucking thick (and also heavy in case of the T4xx series).
Newer Thinkpads (X250) look great, but also cost more.

Better keyboard and touchpad imo, also I prefer the metal build. Worse screens though.

Xiaomi Air

Mi notebook air

imported one and it has amazing build quality and specs for it's price.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was looking for a new laptop the other day but I could not find ONE with a good keyboard. What the fuck? Even my Lenovo b570e has a better keyboard than 900+ euro laptops. That includes macbooks. I even considered them because Sup Forums but holy shit they are bad. If you guys have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Budget: 1000 euros max

>buying a 5 year old overpriced laptop

Don't buy consumer level hardware. Period.

>How about used? Don't tell me I have to buy a fucking Thinkpad, surely there's something newer and not as bulky, right?
... ?

So what if I have a budget of 1k €, what's a good laptop in that range, which will still run games(not new games, dota, strategies,...), but also have a decent (8-10h) battery and not be shit(ie, expensive parts, breaks frequently)
I would also not like to have an ssd, since it will carry sensitive data as well(work).

>I would also not like to have an ssd, since it will carry sensitive data as well(work).
Then you should want an SSD, especially in a laptop. You just don't want a trash tier SSD.

Do EliteBooks look like that these days? Fucking garbage. Sandy Bridge-era EliteBooks didnt look like gay toys.

But if I store 1-2 games, some music, movies as well as work, 256 won't really do it, unless I use an usb as well (I have one with 256 space). And what are good laptops in that price that will last roughly 3-5 years.

>specs look good
>brushed metal
Who likes this fucking shit

Then get a 500GB SSD. The only laptops you can really expect to last that long are mid-range/high-end business class ones, and you're paying a hefty premium for warranty and above-consumer-standard (internal) build quality, and either no GPU or a Quadro. Granted, you can likely run your older light-weight games on these no problem nowadays.

With that budget, you can probably score a nice refurbished 60 series Thinkpad.
Check out X1 Carbon (2016), X260, T460(s/p), and similar from refurbisher of your choice or Lenovo's own outlet.

everything, especially tech,bis overpriced here

By refurbished do you mean used?
Where are outlets for eu?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)
Dunno.

Where are all the fanless laptops?

I basically need a cheap small typewriter laptop, but the fanless ones tend to be either expensive or literally chinese.