I have a project due in 6.5 hours which requires me to do something with one of these?

I have a project due in 6.5 hours which requires me to do something with one of these?

What does /g reccomend?.. Im just going to use it as a torrentbox if nothing else.. but how could i give it some creative flare? Is there anyway I could incorporate Ruby into a torrent box somehow?

Otherwise, Pi Thread i guess..

Other urls found in this thread:

pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-torrentbox/
my_pi_ip:9091..
makezine.com/projects/build-a-compact-4-node-raspberry-pi-cluster/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do you have besides the Pi?

Connect a button to a GPIO port, have a script listen for activity, play Horst Wessel Lied when pressed.

are you retarded or something ? how do you even manage to get through a whole day on your own ?

install gentoo

Provide screenfetch and screenshot as write-up.

why would a school start you at such a high level of abstraction? i never understood this. it's basically a complete waste of time. you aren't going to intern somewhere working on pi's. they should just start with C, motorola chips, and a breadboard.

Compile gentoo infront of the class

Normies will thin you're a 1337 hax0r and run away in fear

I just have a laptop using iphone tethering as internet and an ethernet broadcasting the internet connection to the Pi.. i appreciate the offer for the script but its not really what I had in mind...

What im really looking for is just some way I can spruce up the basic torrentbox idea and make it a bit my own, even better if I can incorporate Ruby somehow into it, such as broadcasting a rails server to my laptop.. although I will pass the project even if i just copy paste one of the torrentbox guides out there.

I should have started earlier but only the documentation is due later this evening.. I will still be able to change the webpage that serves as the actual project and that probably wont be graded till monday. Also I was busy with other finals last week and then this week I was really sick and put off this project and also had to study for a separate exam.. although yes I will admit i fucked up by procrastinating.

I understand the frustration with people posting their homework but people can post other PI stuff and it would help me out anyway and last year I posted the questions of an online test onto /g and they helped me get an internship.

well not a bad idea but not exactly what im looking for although I still appreciate the input

I think it was just to get people in the habit of documenting a project. I think its more a pass or fail kind of deal than actually being graded on creativity but I still would like just to add something small to the usual torrentbox idea that would make it my own.

lol

That's easy:
OP is an idiot that got accepted to the only school that would take him.

everybody has to start somewhere

> torrentbox

If you want that kind of project, then I would suggest installing Apache. Then it will be really easy to demonstrate the project just by bringing up a web page from another machine. Maybe have the web page contain a JavaScript calculator, or something like that, so the project looks like it has some kind of purpose.

But, really, the whole point of the Pi is the GPIO pins -- otherwise it's nothing but an underpowered desktop. But if you only have 6.5 hours, then I think your best hope would be maybe just connect a few LEDs, and write a little python program to blink them, or something.

To make it not quite so lame, maybe you could solve the "multiple blinking LEDs" problem. It's trivial to write code that blinks one LED. But blinking two LEDs at the same time (at different rates) is not nearly as trivial. Hook up 5 LEDs and let the user specify the Hz for each one independently.

well i dont have any LEDS

but i do know how to setup a LAMP server.. so i just want to have a small website that acts as a control panel for the torrent daemon

and the big thing is I just have to make a video really demonstrating it.. and then also provide a website link that serves as documentation, but not the actual webpage that the apache server broadcasts

>why would a school start you at such a high level of abstraction?

There's a theory that progressing education from high-level abstraction to low-level abstraction is easier and more natural for the student.

For example, you could teach programming by starting with some web page JavaScript, then later learn C, then later learn assembly.

Or, alternatively, you could start on day 1 with assembly, and then move up to the progressively higher-level languages.

Educators have tried both methods. They've found that the first way tends to be more accessible to more students -- an you see that fact reflected in curriculum design. If you are the kind of student who learns better the second way, then, well, too bad for you -- you're in the minority.

>you aren't going to intern somewhere working on pi's

Thats actually wrong. I work for a big company, and they have students work with Pi's in the R&D

>but i do know how to setup a LAMP server..

Oh, yeah, if you have experience setting up a LAMP server, that would be a lot better than what I suggested.

pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-torrentbox/

that is the guide i am following and basically it uses Transmission-daemon to bring up a little control panel at my_pi_ip:9091.. and i have that working on my pi and can bring it up on that screen but how do i access it from my laptop? Do i need to setup a Lamp stack for that?

yes and that somewhere is C or asm and embedded systems / network engineering. it's a waste of time to start on a pi. you might as well be doing web programming at that point. using massive (and proprietary) frameworks / toolchains completely abstracts you from what you're actually doing.

its useless to start that high if the goal of the class is to somehow prepare you for interning or working with embedded systems. pi's are for teenagers or children and an introduction to computers in general, not a university imo.

idk how the pi got so popular, texas instruments has kits more in line with what one would expect of an introduction to systems eng/prog.

oh well i guess not.. i can just access the same ip form my latop as the pi and the laptop are connected with an ethernet cord

now i have the basic requirement done and will get a passing grade for sure... i guess i can use the next few hours to try and figure out how to incorporate that control panel into a webpage that either a rails server or apache server is broadcasting to my laptop

what a time to be alive

i understand that this project is kind of BS.. dont get me wrong

later im going to use the Pi as a VPN or install arch for fun and figure something else fun to do with it

mostly though I am studying on my own and just trying to pass my classes so i have all the time in the world to study instead of having to work because i get money from the government to be in school and the school is free.. i have 3.5 more years of the lifestyle and if i use my time wisely i could rack up 15000 hours of study and practice time if i hit 100 hours a week which should make up for being lazy earlier in life i hope, but yeah I need to work harder at it.. i think i have been averaging like 20 hours a week so far, but that can change and I have been neglecting my social life recently so i am going to just study all day and night from now on.

im a total noob and really just started in november basically but i took some online course on java for example but its true that i need to study harder and also of course learn C among other things

raspberry Pis are interesting though and I would like to have Arch installed on this one and use it as a general machine, torrenting box and vpn simultaneously if that is possible.. or at least have the ability to change between them and i know that is at least possible

Apperantly it is much cheaper to flash the hardware they are using with Pi's instead of the actuall flasher, which costs a few thousands per unit (not because it is expensive hardware, just because they can)
One developer manages to flash the hardware using Pis and now they use a ton of them.
Students then work on some tools for the development cycle and so on.

Are you studying at a Dutch uni? We also started with Pi and it's all so fucked.

No I work for a german company.

I guess they are cheap for prototyping stuff/proof of concepting which will get moved to specialized hardware later.

I have the original model b and finally found a use for it. Currently running octopi on it and using it to control and monitor my 3d printer using an xbox 360 USB camera while away from home. Works breddy gud.

no but close :^)

Im not really jaded on my school.. they pay my rent and for food and the teachers are really flexible... i know there are some better compsci style universities but im just grateful to have the oppertunity to study all day and night for several years, AND im not going to be in any kind of debt.

The curriculum at my school is really dependent on self study but they did encourage us with a web dev class, digital circuits, and also java.. Also, the teachers are always available for questions if you want, although most people prefer to study by themselves mostly, but the teachers are there and some of them are experienced programmers. And this pi project is mostly for fun i suppose and to prepare us for other projects in the future.

Do you just wish that your school focused more on compsci or what? Do you wish they had taught you more with a more structured curriculum?

My most frustrating class was physics hypothetically.. which is not useful to me anyway, but the alleged teacher supposedly had no organized lesson plan he just gave us homework and told us to look up how to do them in 3 different books but he didnt follow a chronological lesson order and it was not evident in the books he recommended, and he even was audacious enough to tell us not to use the internet.. well needless to say most of the class failed and I barely passed myself although I only studied about 24 hours total allegedly. And i used some legal words just because there is a 0.001% chance that this thread somehow bites me in the ass with slander laws and government spying or whatever.. i know its paranoid but its always safer to be safe and slander and libel is crazy in europe.. supposedly.

thats bad asss.. post pics?

SO ive done the minimum required but how do i take the control panel in pic related and "pipe" it through a web page broadcasted by either a rails or apache server

If that is not possible or realistic I will just run a server anway and just include it in the video as hopefully an added bonus with some kind of arbitrary feature like a copy and pasted javascript calculator.

I'm not at home right now but here's what the interface looks like from my phone. This is with the touchUI enabled.

Nice user! Have you printed anything cool with it?

Well to me you're fucked since you don't have any sensors nor camera nor modules. The pi is pretty useless without them othereise you want a streambox or some shit

Printed this apple watch stand in wood filament for my brother.

I've mainly been printing a bunch of D&D miniatures and painting them so me and my friends can use them when we play.

Other than that I've just been printing upgrades for the printer itself to try and get better quality out of it.

Also have an old pepsi machine I'm turning into an enclosure to keep the heat in so I can start printing in ABS plastic

I'd fail you for not using the GPIO.

>GPIO
ehh that wasnt a specific requirement.. the whole point was babby's first school project i guess, but I agree that if it was a real serious project then yes that should have been a requirement.

not sure what that is satan

balling

NOW that is cool! And makes me a want a 3D printer!

>a project due in 6.5 hours
you don't deserve to pass

actually I am setting up a websever where I'll put
a domain
related emails
owncloud

and maybe also tor

>why would a school start you at such a high level of abstraction?
Well, otoh, go too low level and the results are going to be even worse. Like how they tried to teach math to kids from the axioms and it was a total failure. You have to hit the sweet spot. Key phrase used in education for it is "local deduction".

water cool it

I deserve to pass as Ive fulfilled all the requirments.. but i certainly dont deserve an A. Thats life and Im not perfect but ill try harder next time.

But the reality is that i might get full points anyway because the whole point of this project was that its supposed to be ridiculously easy.. im sure our next project will be more challenging

And pulling through at the last minute is a great skill user.. so is not procrastinating and wise usage of time but im concentrating on the former at the moment.

ehh do you mean like a LAMP server or..?

What kind of software are you using to broadcast?

I got the anet a8 since it's pretty popular and has a big community behind it. It's under $200 bucks and prints pretty well considering the price. Just don't order from gearbest. They suck.

nginx, php, mysql and postfix

>Torrentbox on a device with 100mbps ethernet that shits itself if a USB device (that you're torrenting onto) is also plugged in at the same time.

Get together with a mate or two, and work out a clustered computing solution.

Impress the class when your two or three pis together are more powerful than their laptop.

Then detail bottlenecks and problems related towards clustered computing.

Just turn it into a roll jam and be done with it. Find somewhere in school to show it working on a keyless door. 6.5 hours is ridiculous. You could have added a radio and antenna and gathered information from weather satellites, naval jets transponders, passenger flights trajectories. It could have been a weather box with direct feeds from Russian and American satellites. You could add a battery and have it roll jam a car and send a text with a gps on the Pi with the acceptable key that you can load onto another Pi and walk up to the target car and open. Or just walk back and pick up first Pi and switch to transmit. Idk loads.

Interesting, thanks for the information

thats a bit above my pay grade unfortunately but something im pretty interested in

although this guide makes it seem easy:
makezine.com/projects/build-a-compact-4-node-raspberry-pi-cluster/

anyway the requirement was to provide some kind of service that had to do with IT.. i guess if we had built a cluster and then do the same simple shit im doing now it would have been much better but its too late now

thats definatley something cool to try anyway and we all still have our pis to play with

not a bad idea.. but im done with the project and i cant change it too much after tonight.. i can only update it a little

thats still a cool idea for the future! Just for fun anway

Thease threads piss me off.
I have loads of project ideas in which a SBC must be used that go beyond VPN's media centres ,servers , seedboxes and all of that crap.

But guess fucking what, RPI zero is always out of fucking stock and fucking RPI 3 B costs like 70 fucking bucks w/o shipping.

Sometimes i envy you fags.

U fags

Fast tech has a sale today 10% site wide with code

SHAMROCK cheapest pi 3b is like 46 bucks

this

I still never got why people study abroad and go to a university outside of the US.

maybe because they don't like the idea of student loan?

Would the Orange Pi Zero suffice?

I got one because the raspis are overpriced everywhere but i'm using it only for mundane tasks as you said.

You need to explain because let's say for example going to Japan university it will be much harder due to the language barrier.

In many places in the EU universities are free or cheap af for foreigners, and in many of those unis classes are in English anyway. Even if they aren't, they're usually quite open (in mine, the lectures were in my native language, but they organized classes for foreigners in English), they have something like Year 0, where you learn the language etc.
Also, economic refugees from the US is a thing.

build something in assembly and make a documentation.
Atleast you gain abit of knowledge and installing a torrentbox would get you here a big F.

There are tons of tuts or guides or vids to even get any idea of something more impressive than a torrentbox.
also i would recommend to start a little bit earlier.

Use dnsmasq to block Windows 10 spyware. I actually use a Pi for that

Wow that's nice. I guess I'll look into it then.

Actually i guess it would, dont know how i never came across it.

All i need to do is some basic image processing and some pins for my custom sensors and a camera.

However it does have wifi and ethernet which i dont really need and i could save some money if they were not there , but i guess you cant have it all.

But god damn im staring to like shenzen.

yeah basically me in a nutshell.. except im actually a dual citizen

youre right that its not very impressive and i should have started earlier and taken more pride in the task even though it wasnt meant to be hard and i will still pass or even get full marks

i actually probably have the rest of the weekend to work on it, but the problem is that we already turned in documentation for our projects weeks ago and i dont think it would be wise to stray so far off from the original ideas we submitted, and our teacher told us they were appropriate and one person that did it early got 100 percent that is not a whole lot better than what i did

but i still have a chance to add to it.. so im at least going to have a webpage that links to the control panel.. im thinking about using Rails as the server just for novelty's sake and because i think ruby is cool.. i will also try to add some features to the server if i can think of any

the other idea is to incorporate tor or a vpn into the project.. and im pretty sure now that i have all week.. or at the very least another 12 hours or so

There are plenty of Orange Pis, the Zero is just the smaller one and all these things also have expansion boards for more shit.

Installing armbian is very easy so you can get Debian Jessie running on them.

>However it does have wifi and ethernet which i dont really need and i could save some money if they were not there
The antenna is removable so you can take it off, the Zero is dirt cheap anyway.

Whats the best browser to use with a pi? The default one keeps crashing..

Yeah well, looks like i will be getting one since this is by far the cheapest board that can boot linux and can actually do some useful computing for the actually advertised price of rpi zero.

Thanks for telling about it.

Use it a dildo and shove it up your ass sideways.

╭╮╭╮{•̃̾_•̃̾}╭╮╭╮

Adblock proxy?

lel I literally just bought these to use my original Pi as an emulation station on my CRT

hmm i havent thought of that!

what kind of crt?

32" Sony Trinitron

what is /sbc/'s favorite / default OS for raspis?
I've been using hypriot because I like sticking things in docker contianers, but I'm curious what else is out there.