/pcbg/ - PC Build General - Cooler than an Iceland Ice Cave edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed) (embed) (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/44GwKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/gGTDTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/QKmBWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkcKM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/q37dzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/9dB9vV
pcpartpicker.com/list/RcZrnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/6LtsxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/zKCKd6
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/XGvYqk
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/2577vs3603
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-D3H-rev-10#kf
pcpartpicker.com/list/L6Jkm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/qXFqQV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was asking about 1440/144 yesterday but decided to save some money and go for 1080/144. Not planning on overclocking, main idea is to play witcher 3 on ultra/very high settings and some fps (overwatch, titanfall 2)
I might go back to roguelikes but want certain futureproofing.
Still need to add a GPU (RX 480? 1070? 1080 ti?) and maybe change the PSU, but I don't want to go cheap on those.
Usa, was thinking about $2000 as budget.
Any recommendation on what to replace?

pcpartpicker.com/list/44GwKZ

I've been looking for a 144 monitor. I hope you come back and give a full report on whatever monitor you choose. I'm very interested in hearing what owners of these monitors have to say about them (and I am particularly interested in ASUS monitors because I've been buying them for over ten years now and I'm a big fan).

i have some costco dell i use for my meme job that has an i7 4790. assuming i upgrade the psu accordingly, whats the best gfx card i can get without experiencing bottlenecking from either the gpu or cpu?

check johnnyguru to see what psu he has reviewed lately
750watts gold is not 110 bucks

This pc is gonna be for gaming and i live in Germany. Can i save money somewhere? Also, which OS should I get?

pcpartpicker.com/list/gGTDTH

That build lists Asus VG248QE which I read it's the best 1080/144 although it's TN. 1440/144 are ips but over $500

Still have to decide on the GPU to see which PSU but I will do that, thanks

Is the extra $20 for a Ryzen 5 1500 worth it for the better clock speeds and cooler?

forgot to mention, want to play games at max/ultra or close to max/ultra settings at 1080p/60fps, possibly VR in the near future

Compared to what?

$20 isn't that much to debate, so you should get it

First time building a computer for gaming so I'm not sure what a good and bad value and whatnot. this is what i put together, price is a little more than i want to spend though it isn't a big deal.

pcpartpicker.com/list/QKmBWX

Used to create a cheap NAS
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkcKM8

I made a few changes to your build. Well under your $2000 budget with exceptional performance.

pcpartpicker.com/list/q37dzM

compared to the Ryzen 1400.

The stock intel cooler comes with pre applied thermal paste, so you don't need a tube unless you're planning on taking it apart regularly, the G4560 is better value then an i3 *if* you can find one. Also hyperx is usually expensive ram, you could go with a cheaper set if you want to save some coin. Everything else looks fine.

That seems great, thanks.
Two questions

Never tried liquid cooling, should I research a little bit and go for it or try a regular fan? Something like the NH-U14S

Second, should I spend some extra and get the 1080 ti?

anyone has an opinion on the Asus PA329Q 32.0"? Im thinking to get 2 of those badboys to increase my html coding speed by 3% .

how is the 4k experience in a working environment?

Going with a 1080ti is up to you. I'm not sure it's worth spending $250 more for perhaps an additional 15 frames per second.

As for the cooling, I'd go with liquid. I'd put its radiator venting out the top of that case (which is the best case on the market, IMHO). The case comes with two fans — one pulling in front and one pushing out back. I'd consider adding another fan or two in pull mode, either to the front or on the bottom or both. I've added them to your list -

pcpartpicker.com/list/9dB9vV

go for it

its only $20

okay thank you!

why is there ram with the same capacity, latency and basically the same but with such price differences?

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 4x8
DDR4-3200
cas 14
311 €

G.Skill TridentZ Series
DDR4-3200
cas 14
450€

G.Skill TridentZ RGB
DDR4-3200
cas 14
534€

Most likely overstocking.

They must be trying to get rid of the sale suffering ones.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RcZrnn
R8 M8S

pcpartpicker.com/list/6LtsxY

what card should i get, want to play last years AAA games at 1080p/60fps

>Cooler than an Iceland Ice Cave edition

G4560 - £63

Asrock H110M-HDS DDR4 Motherboard - £55

EVGA 430W PC Power Supply - £41

Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - £62

WD 1tb hard drive - £44

TOTAL: £305

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC 4GB - £151

£416 total

Just want a cheap rig, play some games at any settings just as long as its above 30 I'm fine.

Will ~500GB SSDs come back down to around $100 anytime soon?

Here's my suggestion -
pcpartpicker.com/list/zKCKd6

Two fans for the front of the case pulling in fresh air. I bumped up your psu to 650w. You'll need it with that gpu+cpu.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/XGvYqk

r8

>Two fans for the front of the case pulling in fresh air.

This. I had the same case before, but it can get really stuffy in there once your GPU goes under heavy load.

is 970 still good for 1080P gaming?

i am getting an i7 6700 but many people dont seem to recommend it

>pcpartpicker.com/list/zKCKd6
what are the two notches below the 1080. from both amd and nvidia? a card like that seems like overkill desu. thanks for the 2 front fans tip

The cost is a considerable issue for almost everyone. If you can afford it, seriously consider the GTX 1080. The performance gains over the 970 are substantial. Note that the 970 is already dangerously close and even below the magical 60 fps on several AAA gaming titles. You might be spending money on a gpu that will struggle in just a couple of years. It seems worth the effort to save for a 1080 or even a 1080 ti.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/2577vs3603

>inb4 german student poorfag
saving money for pic related till end of the year
need a pc for gamin and render
any advise if there are other parts i should be looking forward to, till december
bugdet should be

Did I do good, Sup Forums?

I believe you can get a rx470 or maybe a 480 for the same price if you're lucky

How important is dual channel? I have the choice between a mobo that does it and another that does not, price difference is 20€. Should I pick the expensive one with dual channel? I plan on buying 2X8GB by the way.

ーーーーー

If you have time read more than the question above, then I'd also appreciate help regarding the two said mobos for my own personal Sup Forums knowledge :

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-D3H-rev-10#kf

As you can see on the cheap one, the DS3H, it says it only has "2 fan headers" - what does that mean exactly? Let's say I end up buying a case which has two fans in it, does that means I'll only be able to mount of one of them? (the other one is the CPU one, as you can see on the picture they put, purple dots)

That smile... someone should check if this kid is having a stroke.

Dual-channel doubles the memory bandwidth, so it's pretty important. Also, both of the MOBOs you linked state that they support dual-channel.

so i built my new PC, but when i try to apply fan speed it shits itself and i have to reset through safe mode to load default settings wtf.

can't even set RAM timing without the PC not turning back on after reset.

goddamit i fucking hate computers REEEEEEEE!!!

Oh yeah indeed. On PCpartpicker I think they said the DS3H doesn't so I thought...

Now all that's left is the question about fans. Thanks.

I'm about buy my parts, figure I'd ask for any problems with it. This is my first build, budgeted, use for graphic design / gaming / casual use.
pcpartpicker.com/list/L6Jkm8

>32GB 1071Mhz

Consider replacing the i3 with either pentium g4560 or stepping up to i5 7400. Unless you're planning to upgrade your RAM soon, it would be better to get 2x4GB so you can benefit from dual-channel. The 1050ti is kind of bad when it comes to price/performance; I would recommend getting a 1060 or 470 instead. I admittedly don't know much about Wi-Fi adapters, but the one you've chosen seems a bit expensive considering that it doesn't even support 802.11AC.

you stupid anime poster hurry up and fix my PC, b

Even if my mobo can't support a RAM frequency above 2400, should I still go ahead and buy 3200 RAM if they are at the same prince? Just in case in the future I need them for potential future build?

Because yeah 2400 or 3200 is exactly the same price here.

>what is dual channel
dumb animeposter

>twin gtx 1080 to play minecraft

>dual SSD
Enjoy having your high failure rates :^)

>twin 1080 Ti
Fuck off richfag.

If you really want, you can. But the issue will be that your RAM will be underutilized if you go a higher speed than what your motherboard supports. So putting a 3200 on a 2400 board will make that 3200 underperform at 2400. Sure the performance between an underclocked 3200 versus a similar 2400 will be almost nothing, but still.

>So putting a 3200 on a 2400 board will make that 3200 underperform at 2400.
> Sure the performance between an underclocked 3200 versus a similar 2400 will be almost nothing, but still.
So you mean they'll stay at CL16 instead of downscaling to CL14?

Yeah? CAS won't change. It's the RAM speed that gets affected.

Can somoene tell me if I installed my ram correctly and it's working correctly based off these two programs? No problems so far but I did notice some oddities.

I had some trouble putting the stick in because I attempted to mirror the stick I already had, of which it's an exact copy. However this new stick only has chips on one side, which is why I was confused about putting it in the wrong way.

>getting a i7
dumb scat eater, ryzen is better

>userbenchmark
leave and never come back

good if you have no budget and just want to spend money

also why 2 4k monitors, why not 3 or 1

>He bought babby lake
WE MEMED ANOTHER ONE GUYS LOL

Are you here to tell us again how we can't OC on air coolers?

Looks fine to me

not on the ones intel gives you, unless you fancy housefires

>also why 2 4k monitors, why not 3 or 1
I already use 2. it's very useful. and I want to buy monitors which will hold at least 5-10 years.

great post ramesh

so why not 3? or wait for the 144hz 4k monitors

why? I dont play games and those are very good for artists and shit.

I own a Phenom II x6 1100T with 16GB of RAM. I think it would be a waste to throw it away. PSU is a 620W model from Seasonic.

Which video card would you suggest?

great post pajeet

I suggest you buy intel

Can someone answer me please

just buy kaby lake

Iceland is actually not very cold due to it being a constant oceanic climate. Sure it's Arctic area but the warm sea air flows over the island constantly and there's rarely any year-long snow apart from the glaciers which are uninhabitable and generally forgotten by the average íslander

Just so you're aware, there's no system in the world that can run witcher 3 at 144fps

Did I miss anything or is there no point in buying a mobo more expensive than one of the basic ones ($130 vs $200+) if you don't want to SLI or do a bunch of other exotic shit like heavy overclocking? Basic ones have the features I need but I don't know if I missed something that could be a useful feature those cheap mobos lack.

First PC here. $1000 is my budget. It's a little over but I'm okay with that.

I'm trying to build something powerful enough for gaming and 3D modeling. I went i7 because I heard that's the best choice for this from a friend, especially for 3D modeling. I would go i5 otherwise.

Any recommendations?
pcpartpicker.com/list/qXFqQV

why go with ryzen? it doesnt support quad channel.

>needing quad channel

I thought quad channel was one of the main competitive points of ryzen 3 weeks ago?

nah, I just read it will never be available because too expensive or something

Excuse the cable management first time builder lol i have a gtx1060 i7 6700k 250 gb ssd 16 gb of ddr4 ram

whats quad channel?

Twice as important as dual channel

is there a good website for cable management and flow control?

Using this old turntable shell as a case. Super budget build, super budget case.

Still need to do some cable maintenance and wire a proper power button. Right now I have an old arcade button on the inside.

Looks nice. I would get at least a 1 TB HDD for some storage outside of the SSD though

I got a 2 tb on the way i was just impatient lol couldnt wait anymore

don't forget to order your beard oil you goddamn hipster

Posting from Australia. Here's my build that I want to use to run AAA games, including online multiplayer, and to run the Unity game engine and shit like the 3D modelling program Blender;
CPU; Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (mostly for running a few important programs simultaneously)
Cooler; Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (not sure about liquid though, red pill me?)
Motherboard; Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory; Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage; Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Yes, I'm opting for HD and SSD rather than having to pick one)
PSU; EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (I see people ranting about overkill PSUs. Is 750 too much for what I'll be doing?)

All-in-one watercoolers are trash. Equivalent of worse to an aircooler, more expensive than a better-performing aircooler, and aircoolers have less parts to break. To get good AiO performance you'll need to shell out nearly $200 for your cooler and get a giant Kraken or something. Or get some EKWB waterloop parts and create a high-power custom cooling system (best performance)
I would just get an aircooler, that 7700k is not that hard to cool with a good aircooler like a noctua NH-D14 or something
That motherboard allows you to use speedy ram, get speedy ram if it's not a bad price (speedy ram may be a bad price right now desu)
Nothing wrong with overkill PSUs as long as you're not spending an insane amount on it

Z270

The corsair units beat air coolers, champ. Have a for long while.

Oh yeah, get Z270 motherboard unless you already have a working skylake CPU, or if you know how to slipstream a BIOS update without a CPU

did anyone try active cooling with a peltier cooler?

H100i
Show me
"Maximum performance" doesn't even beat the 140mm noctuas and are over TWICE as loud. I had an H100i actually, just like the 99% of gaymers who see "watercooling for $100!" and fall for stupid memes
Look up all the reviews you want, I welcome them actually
The H105i is loud, the H60 is shit, the H100i is loud and shit

Google is hard kid

Did I not just say the H105 is loud?
Sure you spin two fans at 3000rpm and you can cool anything

Who's doing these reviews?

Look at the kids cry and attempt to move goal posts. It's funny to me.

I won't say anything, just read the reviews and you'll be cryin and denyin all night
>B-But muh CORSAIR cooler quality!
>L-Like all the pro gamers use them!

Maybe keep posting Corsair coolers that are over 5 years old, champ. Doing great for your argument,

You haven't posted a single H100i benchmark, which was the cooler in question, you made the argument that "corsair coolers beat aircoolers, champ"
also that "THEY HAVE FOR A LONG WHILE" yet the NH-D14 has been beating the H100i in every benchmark old and new
Keep posting, you're loading me up with ammo

But corsair aios have been better than air for a long time you said?

I posted a better cooler.

I'm out. My argument was made and all your points are invalid or irrelevant.

>I ran out of benchmarks from this one 2012 website shilling a corsair cooler