Is there any hope for using Windows 7 for more than 3 years? How fucked am I If I keep using it past its eol?

Is there any hope for using Windows 7 for more than 3 years? How fucked am I If I keep using it past its eol?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is there any hope for using Windows 7 for more than 3 years?
yes.

>How fucked am I If I keep using it past its eol?
not at all.

I'll just switch to botnet 10 honestly

What exactly would it be vulnerable to when it is no longer supported?

its not a botnet if you go offline

Any serious vulnerability can most likely be avoided with an up to date browser and common sense, if its a remote execution vuln that you might have to get your hands dirty to block that shit trough a firewall or something.
That is if one is ever found after EOL, even then you might still be able to get patches from the embedded versions of Win7

some minor malware maybe
if you're not stupid it's easy to avoid
and even if you get badly infected you can just reinstall the whole thing

If you're offline you might as well just be using XP.

why?

What about people who are stupid with tech? My family has 7 on their laptop, and I'm afraid something will happen once support ends. We don't really have the money to get a new one with 10.

Install Ubuntu. If it's easy enough for British grannies, you'd literally have to be retarded not to be able to figure it out.

IME Ubuntu was more difficult than Win10. IMO I think this board should stop unironically shilling GNU/Linux. FOSS is by definition insecure and a cumugin. JMHO, FWIW YMMV.

I actually like this idea. I might get a Mac Pro and install 7 on Parallels. Then, I can just strip its ability to go online.

switch to linux
have a vm or second boot botnet 10

You should be fine. Use 7 for as long as it is supported by other developers and then either Linux or Windows 10 LTSB

I wonder could be behind this post...?

Because the only advantage 7 has over XP is that it has better security updates.

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell.

Or carry on using 7.

As long as third party software is compatible with it - and that will be the case for at least five years afterwards, if not more, given the fact that the underlying technoogy has changed very, very little between 2009 and 2017 - it'll live.

Try MINT on vmware player and feel it out,it's more user friendly

No. you should make yourself familiar with linux, even game developers will switch to it soon.

Yes, I'm serious

IMHO here's no reason to waste time with GNU/Linux in 2017. W10 can do everything GNU/Linux Mint can do and FYI W10 does it better. Name three non-trivial things GNU/Linux Mint can do that Win10 can't.

i plan on using windows 7 for the rest of my life

Which methods have been proven to successfully get rid of the spyware in Windows 10?

Just run everything into Sandboxie, and you'll be safe enough, with common sense(tm) as well.

>Disable all the shitty telemetry and Cortana.
One is enough.

I'm still using XP on a computer just fine, so I'm pretty sure you can go at least 6 more years on W7

It depends on what you do with it, and which softwares you're going to use.

Just boop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection FYI

On GNU/Linux Mint I'd be more afraid of all the shitty exploits in the ancient GNU, the hacked together Linux Kernel, and all that software written and maintained by drunk amature hobbyists.

We still have like a dozen XP machines at work and nobody is complaining

lol

oh, yeah, that's true. I don't play games, for example, so there you go...

Ohh, that cute one registry line. I'm wondering why there are so much softwares to remove telemetry if they're just booping that unique thing.

Oh wait, they're not.

And you're probably right about that Linux Kernel Voodoo. Better use a magic black box called Windows.

AFAIK those programs are like most antivirii, just a medium for ad revenue. IDK why youre so fanatical about your GNU/Linux. Have you ever looked under its hood? IRL 99% havent, so it might as well be closed source. Smh at you GNU/Linux fucbois.

So you botched one reason, care to try again? You have two more chances. GL!

Wrong. It has better interface and program compatibility.

>those programs are like most antivirii, just a medium for ad revenue.
github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking Indeed. Lots of shiny ad. Still removing one registry entry.

>IDK why youre so fanatical about your GNU/Linux
IDK why you think I'm fanatical in the first place. I personally haven't looked it under the hood, however I know there are more developers working on it than on Windows NT. I don't need to be a contributor to know that they are alot of people working on it. So no, it's not as well as being closed source. But we'll enter in that infinite open vs closed source debate...

>You have two more chances.
I don't play kiddle games, sorry kiddo.

>implying you can ever be offline

>What exactly would it be vulnerable to when it is no longer supported?
Why would you even care? It's not like there's a source code for you to examine and confirm if anything at all gets patched. Just continue using Windows 7.

keep backups and use common sense and it should be fine.

>Name three non-trivial things GNU/Linux Mint can do that Win10 can't.
1. update without resetting user settings or requiring a restart
2. updates can be controlled granularly: choose exactly what you want and what you don't
2. not automatically uninstall "incompatible" programs with no user input whatsoever
3. not have any marketing or ad integration in the OS
4. use a single UI paradigm
5. not install bloatware
6. not contain any product integration in the OS
7. telemetry options are clear and easy to turn off and never reset without user input

I can probably come up with more if you want, Windows 10 is easy to shit on compared to Windows 7/8.1.

>Just boop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection FYI
This is not even close to comprehensive. If that's all you did you're still sending a TON of data back to M$ compared to windows 7/8.1.

Get blue screen because of bad memory management?

AFAICT those are some reasons why Win10 just works. Its easy and IIRC has less "bloat" than your average GNU/Linux desktop install. As for the ad model, ICYDK Win10 was free and Im happy to help support an actually good OS.
I for one havent disabled telemetry because it helps aid MS in creating the perfect user experience, and if anybody is unironically afraid of it they should go back to or Software for GNU/Linux is a headache. Win10 has one DE, WM, ETC and is better for it.

>Win10 ... has less "bloat" than your average GNU/Linux desktop install.
you can't be serious. I'm actually fairly certain you're trolling now, but I'll continue just in case you aren't.

>As for the ad model, ICYDK Win10 was free
Yes it was """free"", but even the paid versions have ads.

>I for one havent disabled telemetry because it helps aid MS in creating the perfect user experience
Windows 7 was a better user experience than 10 and it didn't require """enhanced""" telemetry. This was back when Microsoft actually tested their software though instead of relying on Insider & Home users to alpha & beta test for them respectively.

>if anybody is unironically afraid of it they should go back to or Microsoft has a history of working with intelligence agencies (NSA Key) and was one of the first to jump on PRISM. Being afraid of Microshit's telemetry is perfectly healthy and rational IMO.

>Software for GNU/Linux is a headache
It can be, I won't argue with that. Which is why I still boot into Windows 7 for gaming and certain software.

Good computer security is in the user, not in what ever half assed MS update you install. MS can't and won't help you, help yourself.

Got you good you fucker.

You're a nice guy. I use Arch and have been WinFree since 2008.

you should use macOS for commercial software alongside linux, user.

trash. worse than winblows 10 even.

can this be done without buying apple hardware? I didn't like macOS last time I used it, but it was like 5 years ago now so maybe it's changed

>can this be done without buying apple hardware?
Yes, but you still need to buy very specific hardware. AMD CPUs and GPUs tend to not work at all, for example.

unfortunately you can't use AMD CPUs no, but Polaris AMD GPUs will work, as well as virtually any intel CPU.

yes, if you use the right stuff, see above. there are more detailed guides but generally an intel CPU and AMD GPU is what you want. rest isn't that important. i started using macOS in 2014 when it was becoming apparent windows wasn't returning to the world of sense and it's only gotten better imo.

Some AMD CPUs work, but with specific motherboards. Intel also has motherboard issues I think but almost all motherboards work instead of just some.

ah okay, maybe i'm remember something outdated.

Yeah, back when the FXs were still competitive they full on didn't work on any motherboard. I think the Phenom x2 had some issues too.

But how will Microsoft make money selling adspace if you don't let Windows 10 into your heart?

>vm
not even close to reality. Do it on a real machine and cross your fingers to get all hardware working.

Slide a partition from one side of the disk to the other.

t. Gparted

Absolutely solid filesystem with a perfect track record on bitrot resistance and uptime, native compression, dedup that doesn't shred data, Superb VM responsiveness with QXL.

Your OS isn't ad platform

What a deal!

I like how it shows up even if you do have an Office 365 subscription. Microsoft should really add another telemetry line to keep an eye on that part of your system too.