Dennis Ritchie

Other urls found in this thread:

warp.povusers.org/OpenLetters/ResponseToTorvalds.html
warp.povusers.org/cpluspluswishlist.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_of_C_and_C++
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*leaks memory*

*dipshit programmer*

Modern programmers don't use C++. It's all about Java, C# and meme language (Rust, Go etc.).

this

What does that make people who program is C++? Old-fashioned programmers?

No. Programmers use asm, C, C++ and similar.

Coders use Java, C#, Rust, Go, Ruby, javascript and other meme languages.

>mfw my college removed all the C languages and left left java,C# and moblie app bullshit
it's over guys

>And real programmers use Hexadecimal. Asm and other is for kiddles.
Yeah, better reinventing the wheel, take years to program something you could do in a few days, for litteraly 1% perf gain (which is useless in "most" cases), and worse generally because there's much more room to errors.

No. Just go to a better college. In my "college" it was a little bit C and a lot of OCaml.

mfw I went to school for physics and learned networking, OS, algorithms, discrete math and various other things after tens of thousands of hours of independent study approached like a masterful disciplined and focused study after reading Book of the Five Rings by the greatest Japanese swordsmen ever to live

>but meh university

fucking plebs

>tfw recruiters and hiring managers interviewing me absolutely fucking love this shit

Performance isn't the main issue. It's maintainability. Here Linus bashes C++, but the idea is applicable to all the high level stuff.

everyone is going to use JS HTML and CSS for everything

The more I read him the more I like him. Linus is a very cool guy. No sarcasm. Fuck C++ "coderz".

everybody's a hardcore C kid until they start writing code other people use

You're right about maintainability being an issue as well. However, this idea is applicable even to low level stuff.

C++ is getting nowhere, gathering functionalities from all over the place and hoping that stays in place.

C is simple, its designs are decent, yet it's very easy to make unmaintainable code with it as well. High level languages tend to simplify, abstract more concepts to have a more concise and readable code.

>It's all about Java, C#
fuck off pajeet

>moblie app bullshit

fuck that shit. I'd rather put a bullet in my head than write software for a non-free platform. What the FUCK is that shit doing in a university?

wtf I love C now

Hey, you wouldn't choose C for everything though. A programming language remains a tool, and there are hundreds of different tools which suits some expectations in terms of development cost/speed/maintainability/etc.

The choice of C for a kernel is right IMO.

How is C like programming in compared to C++? Is obj C still considered C?

t. "I need the whole jquery included to print of Hello World" code artisan

are you talking about objective c? i thought that was dropped for switch

Oh okay, thanks

t. C++ kiddie who just finished his FizzBuzz homework assignment

warp.povusers.org/OpenLetters/ResponseToTorvalds.html

So much butt hurt.

This is why Trump got elected.

>butt hurr

Wow, Pajeets can now express their emotions online.

warp.povusers.org/cpluspluswishlist.html
That's the typical user that Linus want to offend.

C++ used as C with classes is perfectly acceptable and utterly superior to C.

Comedy gold

Am I the only one who doesn't really care what language a program is written in? As long as it has some basic abstraction and isn't brainfuck it doesn't really matter unless you're autistic. Wait, now I know why everyone's so upset.

best thing is that he continuously bashes C but his only argument is that string::length() is more efficient than strlen()

Oh and taking code that does complex h264 stuff as an example of "bad code" while providing no C++ equivalent code

Classes. Aren't they just structs that have functions bound by the struct itself? Polymorphism in C, also possible.

It is important to care in what language a program "should" be written in, or more specifically, in what kind of language. You wouldn't use the same language to implement some driver/operating system and a website.

I agree with Linus on C++, but I can't agree.

Classes can provide closures, what you can hardly done in C.

Well, you don't have encapsulation or operator overloading. The latter isn't absolutely necessary, and for the former... well... if you like the python philosophy (which works mostly with convension and assume that a developer is responsible for not doing dangerous thing), then it should be ok as well.

What matters is the libraries needed in what you want to do I'd say.

> never wrote a single line of C++
> saw Linus bash C++ so it must be shit
> maybe opened a book on C++, but found it too overwhelming
> bashes C++ on Sup Forums because of own insecurities

I'll just have you know that it takes far less lines of code to write fizzbuzz in C than it does in C++.

Err how is that?

Okay I lied. I can't into C++.

I like how he puts that mplayer code up there like some kind of argument against C, as if it would be any better in C++?

>confounding anti-C++ sentiment with pro-C sentiment
you don't get it "kid", if need something more high level than C, there are way better choices for just about anything than c++

If C++ is so much better, then why was C invented quicker?

you are a fucking retard because C is a subset of C++

inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all your code depends on all the nice objects models around it, and you cannot fix it without rewritting your app
I actually had a job once where they hired me for some C++ shit. It was about porting a program from windows to linux. Some stuff were made already.

I never understood all those "memes" about C++ till this job. The code was uncommented, objects everywhere, abstractions everywhere, inheritance everywhere... it was a fucking mess, with bugs everywhere because of the poor object oriented design.

>C is a subset of C++
That is some pretty weak bait. Also, why are you posting stallman? He said publicly that he does not like C++.

C is a common subset of C++.

int *ptr = malloc(sizeof *ptr);
Valid C; invalid C++.
C is not a subset of C++.
And this is just trivial shit. There are actual features added to C which are absent from C++.

Not true and doesn't make any sense. If you're going to talk sets, then it's far more realistic to call C++ a super-set of C rather than the converse.

if C is so much better, then why was COBOL invented quicker?

That something doesn't compile doesn't mean it's not a subset. They got rid of this one retardation from C, you can still use a cast.

>I don't know what "subset" means anyway
gtfo

>That something doesn't compile doesn't mean it's not a subset
Yes it does, you fucking idiot. Do you know what a subset is?
How about this?
int arr[] = {
[10] = 20,
};int a = atoi(argv[1]);
int arr[a];
void my_fn(void *restrict a, void *restrict b);

I think I accidentally dragged some text around right before I posted.
I meant to post
int arr[] = {
[10] = 20,
};
int a = atoi(argv[1]);
int arr[a];
void my_fn(void *restrict a, void *restrict b);

It's sad how universities will try and teach Java

> now were gonna introduce you to algorithms even though you don't even know what a pointer is and probably think memory is a magic black box

> OCaml

literally what in the fuck

Who is Lisp for then?

But you have to start somewhere. If you're just sitting down in a classroom for the first time to learn about programming, you can't immediately learn all aspects at once... memory hierarchy, stack, heap, context switching, etc... when knowledge of those things is not explicitly required to understand the behavior of an algorithm.

Algorithms and pure "computer science" predate our modern CPU architectures. See for example Ancient Babylonian Algorithms.

Java is a good middle ground because it allows you to get started with basic syntax without totally screwing yourself over like C allows you too. It's fairly straightforward to find the cause of an exception, for example. So it allows you to experiment with algorithms and data structures before you get to the more advanced aspects.

C is the best general purpose programming language. Bumpity.

>C faggots in charge of making arguments
>C faggots in charge of not just replying with reaction images and "LOL XD" when confronted with cold hard truth
>C faggots really think that programming advancements stopped in the 70s.

>Being this ass-blasted

*autistic screeching

>Programming advancements stropped in the 70's/
Hardware has hardly changed since the 70's either. It's fundamentally all the same.

Hermits

>C faggots really think that programming advancements stopped in the 70s.
If you're trying to make a case for C++, you're doing it horribly wrong.
C++ is built upon C, even if it is no longer "C with objects", it's firmly rooted in that principle which originated it. Everything about C++ is a "modernization" of old technology, it's all the flaws of C, all of it's staleness, with a bunch of crap piled up on top. If you want a truly advanced language, go see Lisp, really. And as it turns out, Lisp is older than C.
Either way, nice cherry picking, it really helps your argument if you just reply to the low hanging fruit.

Dipshit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_of_C_and_C++

How are we assblasted? C++ is the industry standard for any software developer. C is basically just for old hardware or small integrated solutions.

Hardware has hardly changed since the invention of the semiconductor by your logic. Use Fortran you double nigger.

>If you're trying to make a case for C++, you're doing it horribly wrong.
Better argument than an anime reaction image.

>C++ is built upon C, even if it is no longer "C with objects"
Hardly the case. Their paths have diverted long ago. C++ and C share many similar features but it isn't just C + shit, it's a variation of C that is objectively better.

>muh lisp
(((okay)))((((buddy))))

>Sepplesfag
>Expects anyone to take his opinion seriously

>Hardly the case
Again, C++ may not be "C with stuff" but it still retains a lot of the design decisions of C that are stale as fuck (which was my point). The most obvious one is the fact that C++ uses an object model that is directly based on the C way of doing things. Go take a look at Smalltalk and see how OOP was conceived, and you'll realize that the thing that C++ (and Java and other such languages) implements is a poor man's version of the real OOP. The "innovations" in C++ are not only not new, but they are also held back by it's C heritage, plus layers of the old "features but with backwards compatibility".

>(((okay)))((((buddy))))
Nice non-argument, here's what it looks like:
>The language is unfamiliar to me, so I'll just "insult" it using very superficial criteria.

>trying to rationalize a flamebait
what a fucking retard lmfao

funnily enough, he sounds just like the faggots linus complained about

>it's a lot like C because the syntax looks a lot alike
>therefore it's just like C in the sense that it uses outdated programming concepts
No.

>nice argument
>just claims lisp is better for no reason
How about you take your own advice, you triple nigger?

>sepplesfag
What?

Or you can just use smart pointers...?

How exactly is C++ any better about that?

the idea is if you group things into objects it's easier to manage using deconstruction

These threads are so fucking stupid.

>dipshits

> Life sucks cuz cant learn anything outside of school qq

C# is ok but fuck meme tier functional languages such as javascript, ruby, F#, etc

>*dipshit programmer*
don't you mean,

char *pajeet;

>Skript kiddies use Java, C#, Rust, Go, Ruby, javascript and other meme languages
fixed.

>No multiple inheritance
Why live