What does Sup Forums think of going by some goodwill etc and picking up stuff like vintage bookshelf speakers...

What does Sup Forums think of going by some goodwill etc and picking up stuff like vintage bookshelf speakers,mechanical keyboards for 2 USD?

Other urls found in this thread:

69.64.35.188/piezo/products.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pls respond

no goodwill or something like that in my country. if there was one I'd live in it. I'm sad

I always buy goodwill speaker since there like $3 a piece and are decent most of the time

A better question is why wouldn't you? If they turn out to be broken/shitty then it doesn't matter when it's do cheap. You'll likely regret not going if you don't go, so go jump on those good deals man.

This isn't 1995. With the internet, people know what their shit is worth. Getting a true deal at a thrift store is almost impossible now.

Tons of vintage audio stuff left and right here in Denmark sold for pennies.

Just because it's vintage doesn't mean it's good. Will you find something that's worth a few hundred dollars for $20?

Really depends on the area

The thriftstore nearest me is stocked almost entirely by widows offloading their dead husband's shit and the people putting stickers on things are oblivious
Like, a gorgeous handmade sake set labelled "flower vase and matching candle holders" for $3 oblivious

>a few hundred dollars for $20?

Way less usually go for around $5. I found a GRUNDIG PS 8000 turn table for $10 all it needed was a new belt.

Also hell even if you buy some vintage speakers which are not some flagship top of the line model, can you find better audio for $1-5?

Altec Lansing model 19

I pop in from time to time and have seen some ok speakers, but these days you just don't really find spectacular deals anymore. I blame the whole "vinyl comeback" bullshit.

Your best bet is to keep an eye on local classifieds, in particular for speakers with damaged foam. The foam is super easy to replace and more often than not is the only actual issue on a quality speaker. Just make sure you don't waste money on rack system shit or white van speakers.

Another thing to look out for is vintage amps/receivers. I've gotten some for really cheap because they had issues. In most cases it's just dirty pots that need a blast of contact cleaner and nothing more. In other cases it's usually just a bad powerpak style transistor.

Also check out swap meets. You never know what you'll find. I bought some fully assembled aluminium heads for my 302 for $500 a few years ago.

Expensive office grade chairs are another thing to look out for at second hand stores if the corporation is still around you can even go by their store and ask them to re-skin them and change the gas tube.

Oh and to add this if you are searching for fancy office chairs for cheap keep a track of the local auction brokers when some company goes bust usually they auction that shit off.

you'd think this is the case, but it actually isn't

i found a music hall turntable at good will for $8 and sold it on ebay for $350

i recently found a BD500 sony blu ray player with the Burr Brown DAC ship for $6 and use it to play SACDs through the optical port

foamrot and other kind of rots
also partially

I have a hobby (well, a passive hobby) of checking CL's free, furniture, and electronics sections. I regularly find items ranging from free to $40 that I'll go pick up, throw a shine on it, and repost it for quite a bit more than I paid. I've resold some sets of vintage speakers for $200 more than paid, just because I rubbed some Old English them. A coffee/end table set that I picked up for free, I sold for $299 recently. I bought 3 Lane Acclaim end tables for $15 total last year that I kept. I realize those aren't Sup Forums related, but thought I'd throw that in with the speakers.

Here's a set I have right now (among others), but I haven't really done anything to them nor reposted them yet.

Is that a fucking piezo in a hifi speaker.

You might be right. I had to google to see what you were referring to and found this:

69.64.35.188/piezo/products.php

I haven't found much info on these speakers yet, nor really have I investigated. I think they are custom and made by a french Canadian company called Solotech, iirc.

Good eye though! I'll have to learn more about these.

Sony needs to start making rack stereos again. People are losing their damn minds with how fucking quiet modern life has become.

I will be going to a Goodwill tomorrow Sup Forums
What are some nice deals I should look for?

Watch out for niggers and mexicans

Be afraid of people because they look different then me. Do you realize how fucking autistic that is? I guess its the norm after parents fed their kids ritilin and aderall like candy.

I'm not here to listen to racism arguments. Just fucking tell me what I can buy there

It's a sign that the goodwill is shit you fucking cuck

Just go to one

Calm down jimmy otherwise youll need to double the dose on your anti pyschotics

I've been to both Goodwills near me and there's never any electronics. Both stores are basically 90% clothes and 10% well-worn children's books.

>Y-you got me senpai.

Such is life in middle america where the middle class is hanging on by a thread

Your plan only works when you have a local thrift store that a). gets good shit donated to it, and b). actually puts that shit onto the store floor at a cheap price. Do you have stores like that near you, OP?

I do the same. I have a problem with keeping my stuff instead of selling it on though. I just like the look of vintage gear. You should learn how to refoam speakers and some basic electronics while you're at it.

Vintage amps and receivers are hot right now. I see the same guy flipping tons of them for hundreds of dollars apiece. I bought a broken sx780 off him and he mentioned he only knew of one small specialty shop that did repairs a good 45 minutes away. He said if i get good enough there's good money in it.