Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows...

Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows, especially as your primary operating system of choice.

Explain yourselves, right now, Windows Cucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
youtube.com/watch?v=9pUWnVA5_CY
youtube.com/watch?v=pOQ5yli8u54
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
youtube.com/watch?v=cZV6ELP1Z1o
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4 muh gaymes

it just works. it has good software (photoshop, vegas, visual studio, etc.). it also has all the good pc games. most hardware has drivers for windows.

I don't. I use FreeBSD :)

No good circuit simulators out side of Windows.

Office suite is objectively better

Photoshop

Nvidia drivers

Gaming

I can list so many

I forgot to mention, development environments for microcontrollers and fpga boards are often time windows only suites

Excel.

Your move.

Solidworks

OP btfo pretty hard.

you're*

I just enjoy the comfy feeling I get when I am able to move a .jpg file from my downloads folder to my documents folder without breaking my NIC drivers

This is so true, I really wish something like this existed for linux but it doesnt.

I work with FPGA boards for a living and have a dedicated windows PC just for xilinx stuff, but do c/++ stuff on my linux box

My job /thread.

Because of games like GtaV that won't run on ubuntu without a VM. If wine could run most windows games I would move to ubuntu in a heart beat.

are you fucking retarded?

I don't have to explain shit to you

but I'll do it anyways, solidworks doesn't run on linux in any shape or form.

>it just works
I think this is just pretty debatable. I find linux in comparison to be a lot nicer to setup and requires a lot less maintainance, specially package managers makes everything easy for the average joe, too bad most people doesn't even know about linux or ubuntu except as a "technological" word.

>it has good software (photoshop, vegas, visual studio, etc.)
True and i respec completely this POV, however i don't like the idea of being married with one OS that's why i give priority to multi-platform software when possible. Also linux has a lot of nice software too (including proprietary) like krita, lightworks, kdenlive, davinci resolve or qt creator, while retaining the advantage of being able to change platforms at any time so no software provider can push any kind of bullshit on you (one reason why competition is important for users).

>it also has all the good pc games
True but consider linux has a +2000 games at the moment (and growing) and a lot of them are pretty good, you should check sites like steamdb.
steamdb.info/linux/
But yeah, if gaming is a priority windows is better thanks to third party support and game developers only optimizing (to be fair windows receives a lot of bad console ports too tho) for it, something that only can be fixed with a higher marketshare.

>most hardware has drivers for windows.
True, still i find that when hardware is properly supported on linux, the advantages of linux outweighs the ones of windows for me. The hardware support used to be meh back in 2010 but now is very decent to the point most hardware "just works". Still some gaming oriented hardware like razer's that needs an user-space application may not work fine.

This may not be so farfetched in the near future, this is specially important considering windows 7 will not be supported anymore past 2020 and that most game engines support vulkan.

youtube.com/watch?v=9pUWnVA5_CY
youtube.com/watch?v=pOQ5yli8u54

Games, ease of use, availability of binaries.
I use linux only for programming and only on a VM.

when I only had a desktop I used to dualboot win7 to do college assignments in MSOffice. Now that I have a laptop, my desktop is just gnu/linux and I now dualboot in laptop for college and work, MSOffice is pretty much the only thing installed in the win7.

Holy shit how much does the FSF pay you?

are you?

After vault 7 made me pretty woke I was thinking console gaming is actually more secure but with todays systems all being so internet reliant it wouldnt be worth it. It's not like the old days of buying a game cart and plug and playing a fully complete game. As for computer gaming I tend to use GOG more then steam as its more friendly with a lot less DRM and nicely packaged installers with options of manual updating games so unlike most Sup Forums fags I actually buy games from GOG to support their better practices. However I have like 47 games on GOG and all of 4-5 of them run on linux. So as much as my love for windows has shrunk over the years I still keep it for that. I could pick up other hobbies but theres always that itch for a computer game here and there.

because im not an autistic retard weeb manchild who think using a shitty hobbyos makes me special, lincuck

So we can tolerate dozens of anti-linux threads and other kind of spammed threads where 7/10 of the time either microsoft,intel and nvidia are benefited but suddenly a pair of posts that provides an opposite opinion and actual information about the topic are considered shilling?
shamefur dispray dude.

lol, this literally just happened to me 30 minutes ago.

>Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows

1. I don't have to patch my system via termainal window

2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.

3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.

4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything

5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.

6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.

7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.

8. gaming on linux sucks never again.

Integration with OneDrive and Outlook. Muh games. I wish people could turn telemetry off, but personally I don't care about Microsoft watching me because I'm not doing anything illegal and all Microsoft does with telemetry is study the users so they know what to focus on in updates.

The xilinx tools install and work just fine under linux. Both the older ISE and the newer Vivado ?sp?.

Microchip's tools install just fine too.

I use no windows tools for pcb,. fpga and microcontroller projects.

>1. I don't have to patch my system via termainal window
yeah, you just rather have your system forcefully patch when you are in the middle of something, huh?

>2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
???

>3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.
games are objectively irrelevant unless you are a professional living off of it

>4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
most user-friendly distros have that happen as well

>5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.
???

>6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
>Sup Forums board
>can't fix issues by himself, even with things such as arch wiki

>7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
good for you

>8. gaming on linux sucks never again.
k

I cant even..

Do you mean update? There's a GUI for that in most user-oriented distros.

>2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
Just use a binary-oriented distro. Honestly compiling anything on windows is a PITA compared to linux so i get why the idea scares you the much.

>3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.
see >4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
Not true in my own experience, in contrast you can even run a full session from the installation media on linux and installing the few common proprietary drivers like may be nvidia's or broadcom's can be done from a gui on distros like ubuntu without even touching the browser.

>5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.
Mind to explain?

>6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
Well, honestly it's not like the windows "enthusiast" community can not be not considered neckbeards tho. Be honest, do you see any of this as some kind of tribal war where you use a criteria of "us vs them"?

>7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
Windows has better driver support thanks to it's marketshare, that's obvious but that dosen't mean drivers are never shipped without bugs or that all hardware works perfectly immediately, otherwise things like GPU drivers wouldn't have constant updates. I give you it's much less common to need to wait for proper support from certain companies tho (most of them includes support early).

You already mentioned gaming.

This is pasta but relevant.
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

Consistent quality support from the vast majority both 1st party and 3rd party software providers.

>t. I installed linux mint babby who thinks he is superior to thou cause I discovered muh Gahnoo linux for the first time

Either your a linux babby or a hardcore linux gentoofag who rices their desktop with their freetime as "fun"

i must get a job, until then i can't use meme OSs

Music production does not even exist on linux

i am neither, but your """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""legitimately good reasons"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" not to use gnu are plain retarded

>Integration with OneDrive and Outlook.
There's a lot of cloud and mail services and clients available for linux but if you don't have option to not use a windows-only service for work i don't blame you.

>Muh games.
see >I wish people could turn telemetry off, but personally I don't care about Microsoft watching me because I'm not doing anything illegal and all Microsoft does with telemetry is study the users so they know what to focus on in updates.
At what point you guys stopped caring about being treated well by your software provider. Seriously, normally telemetry is recollecting information about performance and cases where a piece of software may misbehave. I don't mind telemetry as long they promise to not upload private information or info that can be to identify you and that only they'll collect relevant information for the purposes specify. This is not what the microsoft's privacy statement says tho, what microsoft does is far from being normal telemetry, they're abusing their users is various ways and milking them IMHO. That's why is always good to read the TOS people.

I have an android phone but the same way i ditched windows for a more respectful alternative i would ditch android for the same reasons.

Well, for starters, I don't have to worry about my browser deciding it doesn't want to use my audio system.

Drivers in active development, instead of getting the table scraps.

Actually, sums it up pretty well.

The architecture is designed to work on any hardware by means of a registry which is thousands of times better than config files. Only idiots screw it up. Linux takes too much time dealing with bullshit that doesn't work and is only good if you're connected to the internet 24/7

I have over 400 hours in a Windows exclusive game.

I don't own a Mac and I need Xamarin.

>uses chrome on windows 7 in 2017 and calls windows users cucks

fuck off

>Cucks
>>>/global/rules/2

>Consistent quality support from the vast majority both 1st party and 3rd party software providers.
It there exists a way to actually prove or disprove this statement? i have seen a lot of crappy software on windows, in fact that's one of the things that introduced me into open source software, i started to relate open source software with cost-free software i can usually trust and that will not bundle bullshit or show ads. Also at some point i was using more open source programs on windows than closed source ones like firefox instead of IE or 7-zip instead of winrar. Good times.

My company's ERP solution requires it

I use it for work, and make dat $$$.

Post a legitimately good reason why you aren't drinking at your local pub you fucking autist.

where did I call anyone a cuck? are you projecting yourself?

There's a GUI for that in 99% of distros.

2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
There's literally less than 5 distros that require you to do this, ever.

3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.
Only point in your entire post

4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.
This makes no sense

6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
That's because the windows way of solving problems is reinstalling or restoring.

7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
See 4

8. gaming on linux sucks never again.
This again?

>Windows 7 32-bit
>8GB Ram
HAHA, OH WOW

For me there is little use for Windows outside a VM, I run Ubuntu both on my desktop and laptop with a Windows 8.1 VM if I need Windows only software.
Windows lacks a lot of basic features to be used as a primary OS, like setting a window on top for example.

And Linux lacks a lot of basic features to be used as a primary OS, like proper HWA support, being able to use hotkeys when dialog windows or menus are open, support for smartphones or similar devices, or not shitting the bed when a driver crashes.

Problems with linux that do not exist on windows:
1. Disk scheduling is bad. If I'm watching a movie and another task requires heavy disk usage it will cause the movie to glitch as the video player and the other program fight over disk usage.

2. Most programs are either made with GTK or QT and unfortunately it's noticeable which framework was used.

3. Windows boots much faster.

4. Screen tearing because of X limitations.

5. Dynamic linking being a problem when two different programs need the same but different version lib. This has always ended up forcing me to find the correct version, which almost always requires compiling, and then compiling the base program without installing it system wide and linking to it. It gets worse when this has to be done recursively.

6. Using a GUI to change settings is a lot faster and easier than command line. Available options can be shown each with a description of what it does. In comparison you need to look up in the manual for a conf file, assuming you know which manual, either wright it down or remember the config options, close the manual, open the conf file, make the changes, save it, and hope you didn't make any mistakes.

7. Windows community is generally friendly and willing to help with any problem that you may have. Linux is full of elitists that need to be autistic about everything and take every opportunity to dick measure. It's also full of weebs.

8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts. Those software tend to be windows exclusive and wine support can be a hit or a miss.

I don't enjoy spending more than half the time fighting with my OS to get sound to work, or text to display correctly, or a driver to install, or fucking pick-a-thing

>like proper HWA support
HWA means hardware? This has already been addressed in this thread.

>being able to use hotkeys when dialog windows or menus are open
Would you mind to explain a bit more and provide some examples?

>support for smartphones or similar devices
Would you mind to give more info? MTP has never worked correctly for me on linux but kdeconnect is a blessing, unless you provide more details i think the simple existance if kdeconnect negates your claim.
youtube.com/watch?v=cZV6ELP1Z1o

>or not shitting the bed when a driver crashes.
Honestly how often does this happens on linux? if you use supported hardware on stable distros this should not be a problem, at least not a common one unless there's a serious bug with that driver. Honestly i have found a lot more of problems with drivers on windows than linux under the same circumstances, hardware that is supposedly supported on versions of windows that are supposedly stable.

It works great for all the shit I do (programming, gaming, web browsing, office work) and have been doing for years.

I have a AMD Radeon graphics card which may be not supported by Ubuntu 16.04.
What should I do? Will upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue? If yes, will it work as good as the graphics card works on Windows? Also will have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?

Am I damaging my computer by not using a OS supporting the graphics card?
Also my laptop takes like ~50 seconds to boot? Is that because of the incompatible graphics card?

Though I still think Win10 is badly coded and bloated.

muh games

You don't need to be upset Rajesh.

erotic roleplay solution
that is one lewd company

>1. Disk scheduling is bad.
Can you prove this? my experience has been pretty different.

>Most programs are either made with GTK or QT and unfortunately it's noticeable which framework was used.
For me programs on windows often look alien because third parties often doesn't follow any kind of guideline. This may be true on linux but on it at least most programs tries to follow the gtk theme and the icon theme. Hell, just look at windows 10, it has different menus and application styles among the programs bundled with it. Also, there's themes that can provide a mostly consistent looking among gtk and qt applications like breeze or arc. If you care about consistency you shouldn't be using windows in the forst place.

>3. Windows boots much faster.
Are you referring to the fast boot thing? It's a good feature but it may cause problems over the time that can only be fixed by a proper restart, for example the wifi was not being able to connect for computer in my house, a restart fixed it. The average joe is the most affected one by this.

>4. Screen tearing because of X limitations.
True, it's fixable in almost all cases but it would be good to never have tearing ootb.

>5. Dynamic linking being a problem when two different programs need the same but different version lib.
Usually the package managers usually takes care of this and there's self contained packages similarly to windows when this is not the case. Also there's things like LD_PRELOAD in the worst case (see how the steam runtime works for example). Do i need to remind you guys about winsxs?

I don't have root access to my work computer.

>6. Using a GUI to change settings is a lot faster and easier than command line.
There's usually a gui for most things on linux.

>In comparison you need to look up in the manual for a conf file, assuming you know which manual, either wright it down or remember the config options, close the manual, open the conf file, make the changes, save it, and hope you didn't make any mistakes.
This is usually only necessary for server-like programs that are not directed to the average joe anyway (having a hard dependency on a GUI when on a server is shitty), even for those there exists GUI applications to manage them. Honestly the situation for this used to be a lot worse on windows, at least on linux you can access the manuals easily. For this kind of thing is why microsoft introduced the bash for windows 10.

>7. Windows community is generally friendly and willing to help with any problem that you may have. Linux is full of elitists that need to be autistic about everything and take every opportunity to dick measure. It's also full of weebs.
Does the pc master race doesn't count as windows users because they're one of the most hostile communities. Also you just need to look at this board to be proved wrong. There's no need to be intellectually dishonest.

>8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts. Those software tend to be windows exclusive and wine support can be a hit or a miss.
Depends on the area but yeah, one of the strengths of windows is the availability of certain professional software, which is something that often makes linus less viable for the people with a hard dependency on one of those programs but hardly says anything about the quality of the OS IMO.

>8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts.
One last thing. There's open source software that is widely used on industry, also remember there's a lot of professional proprietary software on linux, the following is pasta but provides examples of people working on linux or programs available for it:
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms

Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/

Shitty drivers, desu. Dual monitor extended display doesn't work ever since I got a new AMD GPU, and I have to manually restart network services every boot to get WiFi card to work. Would've stuck around if the displays were actually detected and not cloned.

Post legitimately good reasons why you still waste time shitposting, especially on Sup Forums.

Explain yourselves, right now, you shit-brained mouth-breathing mongoloids.

Holy shit word filters are back?

Pretty sure they were never deactivated.

Honestly, I haven't put the time to finding all the alternative programs for Linux. I have Arch dual booted on my x220, but I still need to set it up exactly the way I like it.

For now, Windows still feels more like 'home'.

I use Windows 7 and haven't enabled updates since they starting adding that spyware shit

Installing it would delete all my data

-Adobe products
-Games
-Drivers that actually work
-Gotten acquainted with the OS and have no real reason to switch (only reason would be to support FOSS, at the cost of my convenience...)

Im a music producer, use FL Studio, also am in a large skype community and Skype for linux is a joke

I can turn off the bad parts of windows, but I can't turn off the bad parts of linux or mac os.

For the games.

Its a windows thing. You wouldn't understand. Freetard.

it lacks some features I had when I used Linux Mint for a few months, but it has AAA games I wanted to play and as long as you aren't a retard (40 tabs open without some sort of extension to put ones you dont use into a sleep mode)performance is fine.

>Muh freetard feelings.

Literally wut? Are you ?

games, better software, drivers, don't have to waste hours of my life tinkering with stupid shit

>software

/thread

Sound quality.

I fucking hate how music sounds on Ubuntu. It feels like empty or hollow. Also, when I'm watching movies I can barely hear the dialogs while in Windows sound pretty good.

Do you know about Wine?

Laziness

muh g-sync

Wine isn't a cure all. Altera's ModelSim does not work in Wine. And what's even worse is they make ModelSim for Linux, but works like shit. People just don't really care about supporting Linux unfortunately.

Logisim

Also, LTSpice works flawlessly in Wine. I use it for all my labs. I know some people on Sup Forums hate LTSpice, though.

Certain software.
Familiarity.
I haven't bothered to understand bootloaders or GRUB2. In no position to end up with a non-operational system.

Familiarity, software such as SolidWorks or other CAD suites, some games (although a large part of the games I own on Steam have Linux ports), hardware compatibility, et cetera.

I would really kill for someone to make a Linux distro that can also interpretate Windows assembly and architecture.

I keep my gaming stuff over on it. I rarely use it, so it may as well not be in the main space.

I like having something to fall back on in case something goes wrong in Linux. (this was back when I first got into Linux and was stupid enough to fuck it up pretty badly.) Nowadays it isn't needed for that, but it's a nice 2nd option.

>can also interpretate Windows assembly and architecture.
So wine / mono.

best UI
best games
best IDEs
... best everything except shell

This thread is boring.

ugh, lightworks is paid

G A M E S
A
M
E
S

This. But which is better? LMMS, Ableton Live or FL Studio? LMMS is like FL Studio, but it's not that powerful.

Still using Win7 for graphics stuff. However, Krita and hopefully Wayland would most likely fix this.

Yes, "muh gaymz". They work better and have better modding support.

Printing documents requires Windows, no matter what.

My last point is my Uni requiring me to use Windows for various stuff. I, however, hope that I can make this go away in about 3 years.