What does Sup Forums think of the Fractal Design Node 202?

Is it a good case to build a mini itx PC? I am looking for portability.Thinking of putting a 7700K (After delidding) and a GTX 1080 in there with modular SFX PSU. Also what would be the best low profile CPU cooler for the case? The maximum cooler height allowed is 56mm although coolers such as the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 which is 59mm have been installed in this case before. Am I being memed on by the popularity of the case?

Other urls found in this thread:

smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/intel-lga1150-heatsink-keep-out-zone.456/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Horizontal cases make me nervous

More pics for reference.

It can be placed vertically too. Also no dust filer on the top vent when vertical.

From those pics it doesn't look like it would have the best airflow.

But I'm also looking at putting together a mini itx build so I will monitor this thread. Looking at the node 304 myself

Yeah. There are no options for any case air flow. Looking to build on the ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming. What about you?

not much for hot air to escape

almost bought one but then I saw this beauty.

I need a case that will slip into a back pack but this one looks awesome as well. I'll check it out.

Cleaner builds can be done but there is still not very good air flow. I am gonna use the Corsair SF600 SFX modular power supply.

DAN A4-SFX

>$250

Yeah. Watching the Linus video right now.

you can fit a 240mm rad in pic related

Wow. I am not that well off!

what is this

how about the ncase m1?

autism

so that case is like what a node 202 would be if you folded it.

All ITX cases are really cute. If it wasn't for Microsoft actively trying to keep people from using Windows 7/8.1 on computers with Ryzen processors I'd really be considering building a mini ITX machine in a slimline HTPC case with one of the Zen based APUs that's coming out later this year, painting it beige, and putting my monitor on top of it (keeping in mind placing my monitor so as not to block the top vent).

Go for it.

I would if having to fight Microsoft just to have the OS I want wasn't a problem, and older APUs aren't quite good enough for me to be comfortable limiting myself at for the few games I still play.

I own one, my apartment is a comfy 72 degrees right now and these are the temps. The CPU has a noctua fan, my gpu has two corsair fains. I went with the 450w PSU...I'd go with 550 or greater.

It's bigger than it looks and I almost always have it standing vertically for airflow reasons.

I like how you can place two 1200mm fans right over the GPU for muh airflow. It's my case of choice for off-the-shelf mini-ITX case, not counting those crowd-funded ones.

Case in point.

This was before I bought the additional fans.

Wow. Thanks buddy. What CPU cooler is on your processor? The L9i from Noctua?

I prefer the core 500.

I've got a 7700k in one with noctua nh-u9s, and a gtx 980 soon to be 1080ti. It's about as small as I would go with these components, I would be a bit concerned about putting all that in a node 202.

Pretty cool. How are GPU temps? Should I go for blower style or Aftermarket coolers on my GTX 1080 if I decide to buy it?

With an APU powered HTPC, the single pcie slot on mini ITX would more often be unnecessary.
Surely Fractal Design have plans for a mini STX Node by the end of the year.

I have the SilverStone AR06 in there. Afaik Scythe Shuriken 2 will block tall ram (specifically G.skill ram which has the best timings).

Yeah I am afraid of the temps on the CPU and the motherboard. Some people report unusually high motherboard temps. Will a delidded and undervolted 7700K on stock speeds for now with a good cooler solve the problem?

Will the G Skill Trident Z be blocked by the Scythe Big Shuriken 2? That's what I am gonna buy. The 3600Mhz one.

How are the temps on the Silver Stone AR06 and what processor are you running?

That's not my picture.
However I can't recommend blower style in any circumstances. Use 2-slot thick GPU with 120mm fans for airflow.

Yes, most heatsinks with 120mm fans will block the ram slot due to the limited space on mini-ITX. Look at 92mm fans are however in the Intel motherboard's "keep-out" zone.

i7-3770 delidded. I never stressed the CPU though. It's momma's skype machine.

The power supply should be a tiny modular TFX power supply. But I don't think anybody makes them.

What's the 'Keep Out' zone? Sounds interesting.

Check the speccy. I have the r9 nano which has a blower style, it's not a very ..uuuhhh...thick card so I was barely able to squeeze two 120mm corsair fans, anything thicker and I would go with a nice aftermarket open-air cooler or slim fans.

It's the 92mm square zone around the CPU intended for the stock Intel heatsink.

Thanks. Found this interesting link with a gif highlighting the keep out zone.
smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/intel-lga1150-heatsink-keep-out-zone.456/

Like NUCs, mini STX boards are powered powered by an external 19volt laptop adapter. mini STX cases can be very small.

Oh. I had absolutely no idea. Very interesting concept. People should be making 500W TFX modulars PSUs though. If that is even possible.

That case is cute but
>$250
>15" long pcie extension cable

As far as slim mITX cases go, I really like the ftz01 in silver. I just wish it didn't have the disc slot as literally no one uses optical media anymore.

I'd snag a node if it came in naked aluminum. I plan to either make wooden inserts/panels on the ftz01 or use fake wood vinyl if it's beyond my ability level. I have a hard on for vintage audio gear with aluminum faces and wooden accents.

You can probably strip the matte finish paint on the Nose 202.

I'm going to stick with my CM Elite 110, but I certainly have nothing against the 202.

i have a similar setup in an ncase m1 - 6700k, noctua u9s and a 1080

been my gayming pc since september last year

node 202 with a ryzen 1700 might be a sick little linux box though

The RVZ02 is a slightly better design in terms of cooling, the GPU and CPU chambers are better separated, and the mesh is more easily removable. Plus the case is easier to disassemble.