Will single board computers ever be good?

Will single board computers ever be good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fiEkCaA_P7c?t=28s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They already are, user.

Smartphones are (mostly) locked down shit tho

Its a computer in your fucking pocket that does nearly everything a consumer could want to do with a computer.

Being locked down shit is irrelevant to most of us because we actually have lives and people who care about us enough to call.

Unironically
Kill
You're
Self.

gtfo shill and take your shitty touchscreen cancer with you.

They are good enough for office tasks.

Not for gaymur shit though.
If you're trying to render on a single board you have problems.

Current Intel IGPs are already HEVC 4K ready

Im phone posting.

Enjoy you're autistic screeching

single board computers (by which I'm assuming you're talking about Pi, Arduino, Beaglebone Black and all their rip offs) are better suited as embedded parts of another system or single tasks.

Take Pis for instance. Almost universally most folks end up using them for media (Kodi, Emulator) since their form factor and hard ware make them great for that. But try applying them to anything else, and inevitably you're going to be doing more configuring than it's worth. The pi banks on low cost appeal ($5-$40), but it's rare a pi project runs the cost of a single board. By the time you're done, you'll reach the realization that there's already consumer products that could have accomplished what you wanted.

Which brings us to what another user said. Great SBCs already exist, and do everything you want them to. Being "locked down" is completely irrelevant when you've a mostly trouble-free software experience.

SBCs are really fun for hobby boards. And I stand by the Pi being a great start on emulation. But for everything that they can do, you've already got the answer literally sitting in front of you.

>Enjoy you're autistic screeching
>you're
>you are
nigger learn2english phonecuck

Yes.
In the form of of course.

Future of personal "computing" will be exactly what Currysoft tried to achieve with their "Continuum" and what Canonical tried to achieve with "Ubuntu convergence". You have a smartphone/PDA in your pocket, you get home/to your office, you walk up to a desk, you put your smartphone in a dock connected to a keyboard/mouse/other input devices and a large desktop display and the operating system on your smartphone turns into "desktop mode".

A file manager, functional browser, office suite, support for document processing (scanners and printers), video player, audio player, barebones image/photo editor and a barebones video editor covers the computing needs for 80%+ of the world.

Our biggest problems regarding the execution is lack of software support (we have no idea how to achieve it without having to resort to creating two separate applications for regular mode and desktop mode) and hardware performance. Our mobile chipsets are still fairly slow, laziness of application developers doesn't help and our battery technology still holds this back.

And I have to say that the execution of this idea by Canonical is a lot more polished than what Currysoft offered.

youtu.be/fiEkCaA_P7c?t=28s
Video related is Ubuntu Convergence on Ubuntu Phone running on a nexus 4, which is a 5 year old android device.
at this point it can only get better.

>You're
UKYS M8

Definitely.

laptops are single board computers

Mine has 2 boards.

>dock
If they are planning for the future then we know it is all wireless.

Making it wired dock would solve the problem of display/input compatibility as well as charging the battery up when docked.

plus additional accessories like usb flash memory and such

Lets see, user!

Now, Joe Average wants to spend his hard earned shekels on a multifunction media and productivity device! Does he:

A. Buy a laptop, which he needs a bag to carry, but can provide great entertainment and productivity anywhere he wishes?
B. Buy a Smartphone/Tablet, which can be carried in an existing bag/pocket, and provides great entertainment and mediocre productivity anywhere he wishes?
C. Buy a SBC which can be carried in his pocket, and provides great entertainment and productivity...but only depending upon where he is, and how he has setup his work site?
D. Buy a mITX Desktop, which he needs a bag to carry, but can provide the best entertainment and productivity but only depending upon where he is, and how he has setup his work site?

Most Joe Averages are going to go for the most convenient option, a Smartphone/Tablet, or the next most convenient option, a Laptop, because more power.
Nobody is going to want to carry something "as powerful as a laptop" that they can't use anywhere, like a laptop.

>kill you're self
With that grammar I'd already have shot myself

No, mainly because no one is willing to pay for a ~$300-400 one with a core-m intel processor or snapdragon 821 SoC.

The hardware is there but no one is willing to make a good one since no one will buy them.

That looks legitimately cool, but I can safely say I'll probably never use it. Unless by some act of God I get an Ubuntu phone.

>but I can safely say I'll probably never use it.
In one form or another give it 10 years user.