Tfw you are so obsessed with western culture and speaking english that you have problem speaking in your own mother...

>tfw you are so obsessed with western culture and speaking english that you have problem speaking in your own mother tongue

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Same here. I reserve an American accent for interaction with westerners, and a broken part-British one for Sudanese

Same, except its because I never go outside and only talk to people in english on the internet

A..are you me

Yes, I am you.

Must be the Agent Orange

we still won, lad :^)
Sweden, I....

We have what's called anglicisms, saying a non-existent French due to confusion with a similar sounding English one. I make these errors often enough.

I've also found that I'm not able to translate a lot of technical jargon and semi-obscure vocabulary because I only ever encounter those words in an English context.

It's bad enough that sometimes I have to change software back to English because I'm not used to the French translations of those words (for example "deinterlace", stuff like that).

Memes are also hard to use in French, even the word "meme" sounds stupider than usual.

oops, forgot the word "word" in the first sentence

This

Being bilingual I experience hiccups/exceptions during speaking when I try to find the one's equivalent word for the other

the world should just come to term that english is the universal tongue already
its because of the memes that binds us together, english is the only true way to use memes

Pretty much, but I am concerned how much of English linguistic imperialism has warped our societies

At the most fundamental level, do we interpret the same thoughts differently in separate languages?

Amurika, pls bomb vietcongs until they great again and have freedumz. Thanks.

In Sweden they speak to each other in English to show their commitment to globalism.

We already killed a third of their population, how many more do you want dead?

I thought this only existed in countries that crave Anglo cum like Iceland, Norway and Sweden

How can anyone escape American media though?

body count doesnt make a victory, tovarisch :^)

Tfw I have a standard American accent and American media dominates all

pretty much everybody can understand what I'm saying and I only need to learn another language for funsies

breddy gudd but don't overestimate it
even in countries like Germany, Austria, France, etc. there are a lot of people that speak very limited English

Is it hard for viets to get information from internet without english comprehension?

Well I speak very limited German so we can meet in the middle there.

I am also great at miming

(but yeah I'm sure especially older generations wouldnt understand)

not really, there's already an upcoming generation of kids that speak english pretty well, be a matter of years before the average Nguyen are fluent in english

We should have nuked Hanoi

I spend 99% of my time on English language internet and it even affected the way I speak Finnish a bit, I have a slight accent.

operation rolling thunder:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder

you faggots failed to take out a 3rd-world city :^)

i did a report on vietnam for my geography elective class. it was a bad report but i still got an A. Thanks Vietnam!

What kind of accent is it?

Hard to bomb when the city is made of staw huts

I always talk to myself and since walls in my building are super-thin I talk in english so my neighbours can't understand anything

T. Skull Face

NON NON NON

It was concluded that the UN, IMF, WTO and all other international institutions would have both French and English as working languages.
So as for ourselves, we'll stick to French if it's all right with you.

And for everyday matters, the world is much like 11th century England, the ignorant masses (peasants) speak English and the elite (royalty and nobility) speak French between themselves.
It's perfect that way.

And I hear the true lovers of the English language (apparently those exist, don't ask me) are extremely bitter about what they call "globish": English as it is (mis)spoken by everyone around the globe.
Some even predict that like Latin, true English will become extinct because of that.

>do we interpret the same thoughts differently in separate languages?
Yes we do.
You'll be surprised at how you can reach different conclusions from a conversion depending on which language was used.

You hear "____ is the language of _____" for very good reasons.

It's only because I learned English when I was young. Most French people don't give a single shit about that obscure West Germanic language.

You are delusional. Nobody cares about French outside of the insular French elites

>that's not true because only a few people

That's what "elite" means dumbass, 'select few'. It's probably less than 2%.

who is this "elite" of yours?
politics is in english
diplomacy is in english
science is in english
business is in english
literature is in english

politicians, businessmen, scientists and authors speak english
a few of them happen to speak french too but not the elite among them

>French
>elite
more like language of the Africans

School French teachers are the elite.

I routinely forget the spanish word for common everyday objects, for several minutes.

Learning comprehension, much?

I didn't mean "speaking French makes you part of the elite" but "the elite of the world speak French between themselves".
But you two don't have to worry about that, obviously you're never to be part of this so you won't need French, like most people.

>"the elite of the world speak French between themselves"
you didn't answer the question, who exactly is in this imagined elite of yours?

You will know if you ever get to be part of it.

ebin b8 m8
had me there for a minute but of course not even frogs are this delusional

>meme

From the French word "même"

FRENCH IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE MEMES, BUGGER OFF, ANGLOS !

I've lost my native Scottish accent. Too much time spent in the house.

I know it's nowhere near the same, but it still separates you from your working class peers.

I hate how half of the modern vocabulary are borrowed words. Especially at work where I deal with computer science essentially.
We can have entire sentences made out of foreign words that are transliterated into Russian. What's worse I seem to be the only one to notice or care, I'm actually trying to keep my Russian clean (and my English just as well)

>working class accent

lucky lad

fuck off blyat

Love you Vietnam :3

They're OURS

>we won
>He whispers to himself with his 2nd mouth while he uses his 5th arm to type it out

I'm American

>What's worse I seem to be the only one to notice or care

Countries like Iceland or France do care.
You need something like the Académie Française to regulate your language, if you haven't already.

Not that guy but, you do know the QUEEN OF ENGLAND speaks French fluently, do you?
that should give you a hint.
Or is she not "elite" enough for you?

What difference does it make? I don't get why people get so autistic about English words creeping into their language especially when it's technical stuff.

Not saying a lot of important people don't know English
but the fact is that it's not the "language of the elite" by any sane definition
French lost the language war 70 years ago

It's not a problem for English which always has been a mish-mash of foreign words.
It's much more of a problem for Icelandic or French because it sounds out of place.
I don't care about using either English or French (or other languages I speak), but only one at the same time, not a mix of several.

I suppose I can't understand because I'm a typical one language anglo but I don't don't get what difference it makes as long as you can express, we have loads of Indian and African words like Plunder and Voodoo but their origin doesn't matter as long as the word can be used to express properly.

I work as a maître d'hotel which is a dream job because of high salary, stability and little actual work.
I get to serve people who are so above me, I'm like an insect to them. I have in different countries.

I'm not sure who they are and what they do (except for real famous ones like the Queen of England) because part of the job is being invisible to them, but when they need to pick a language for conversation, usually they go with French.
And I understand this has been going on for centuries (obviously I can't confirm that though, I wasn't born then).

Wrong, you're Greek

Yes, like I said it doesn't matter because English is already that way, so new foreign words don't stick out. It's more convenient.
French on the other hand, has been regulated for centuries by the Académie Française who carefully evaluate new additions (whether neologisms or foreign additions), so it's much more coherent and as a result, foreign words (except for Latin and Greek) do stick out. And a replacement is created when needed.

For example, VCR is "magnétoscope". It does sound a little silly to make up a word from Greek and Latin to replace an English word, but it sounds a lot more French and sentences flow so much better.

Iceland does the same, for "computer" they used a word of them meaning "sage".

yea a lot of words have been successfully introduced
helicopter -> þyrla (blade swinger)
computer -> tölva (number sage)
telephone -> sími (string)
nobody uses the English terms now

but there are also some words that have not been as successful such as
tomato -> rauðaldin (red fruit)
automobil -> bifreið (moving ride)
pizza -> flatbaka (flat cake)
where everyone uses the Ice-English (or German in the case of car) words tómatur, bíll and pítsa

Thank dog it was Britian who took initiative to colonize world first. Would have been a tragedy if we all ended up speaking German or French instead.

Same. I'm actually working class but I spend so much time on the internet listening to English people that I sound like one of those subhuman Edinburgh middle class Anglophiles.

>Thank dog it was Britian who took initiative to colonize world first
Actually it was Portugal and then Spain.
England and France were relative latecomers to the game.

>German
I don't think their single sausage factory in Tanganyka and fishing wharf in the Pacific were supposed to have much influence in the world.

Good Scots, in the advent of Brexit + Scottish Independance + Accession of Scotland as a EU member, which language would you choose for your official EU language?

The UK leaving would mean English no longer being an official language (since Ireland picked Gaelic and Malta picked Maltese), so would you re-introduce English or introduce Scottish Gaelic ?

I experienced España's linguistic cock and now I sometimes slip up in English. Like, I used "y una polla en vinagre" one time in an argument.

try being quadrilingual. I often have to pause for like 4-5 seconds just to remember a given word in my native language.

Don't hesitate to do that, when in America I routinely throw in French words, surmizing that people will think they're English words they don't know.
If you do it several times with the same people, they start using them too.

Great fun.

shame your countrymen here don't feel the same
speaking english would probably be easier than trying to understand their broken czech

I'm an educated idiot who misunderstands eighteen languages, from Latin to Japanese.
When alone, I sometimes think in sentences using the best available words I know.
It's the best language in the world, unfortunately no one else understands it.

Luv you 2

>disregarding all the us soldiers that got orange'd cause their superiors said it was harmless