After waiting almost a year after the release of the Spectre 13...

After waiting almost a year after the release of the Spectre 13, it finally got to a price point where I felt comfortable buying it. What can I expect with this thing? Anyone here have one?

If you're wondering why I would buy it, the design initially got me. This thing looks like an art piece. It's also got an i7-7500U in it, and 8gb RAM in a laptop that's literally thinner than a Pilot G2 pen. I know this thing is Apple-tier to you guys, but I think HP's got something nice here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What can I expect with this thing?

regular windows experience or linux if you install that

yeah...

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with this

no but it didn't warrant a blog post, congrats you got a computer

That's why I ordered one

I was planning on dual-booting Ubuntu on it, yeah. How much space should I allot for Linux in a 256gb SSD?

Perhaps I didn't clarify. I'm looking for issues that I may run into. This thing has piston hinges, which is pretty much a gray area on laptops. HP doesn't have a good reputation with normal hinges on their regular laptops either, so this is something that's got me a little worried.

HP has had a very good reputation for the Spectre *x360* 2-in-1 hinge, which has generally stood the test of time and has been copied (it's pretty fucking basic but still)
I don't see why you wouldn't get the 2-in-1 version, same specs and what seems like a more durable chassis

>literal fashion statement laptops

It doesn't look as aesthetic. Plus, the 360 is basically unusable as a tablet anyways, it doesn't fold perfectly and is super awkward. I just use mine as a laptop.

Looks terrible

Enjoy your firnware aids that will wipe the your bootloader and install some wangblows shitware for you.

So what would "fold perfectly"?
It's pretty damn comfy shitposting in portrait mode

Well, it's super bulky for a tablet. I used to use it to read manga in bed but after getting an 8 inch tablet I realized how heavy it was. The gap between the upper and lower parts make it awkward to hold on one side and the need to keep both sides together makes it awkward to hold on the other.

I think it looks better than the 90's Saudi Arabian wet dream you posted

No gaps on my machine, and you're supposed to just hold the entire thing
Less than 3lbs is a lot for you to hold on to I know

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.
When you fold it, the side opposite to the hinge has a half inch gap between the two parts.

It folds all the way, literally until the rubber feet press against the back of the screen

You've bought a laptop because you thought it looks nice? Did you even need one?

I've been exclusively running Ubuntu 16.04 on a Samsung Series 7 Chronos for the past five years or so after the piece of shit HDD fucked itself a month after I bought it. I didn't want to buy Windows, so I had endure years of Ubuntu. I like Linux now, though. I think this is a somewhat justified purchase.

Aesthetics are subjective. I just like how thin it is. The carbon fiber body is nice as well. I don't care what others think.

I mean at that point you would need a perfectly rectangular frame with absolutely no edges other than 90°, which would make bottom-intake cooling a complete nightmare and would likely be thicc
I mean I see what you're saying, but is there even a 2-in-1 on the market like that? It seems like every laptop has some kind of taper somewhere these days

It's really sad how they did away with how they presented the Hewlett-Packard logo on the bottom bezel in that picture. That shit is modern as hell. Their new logo on the Spectres are nice, though.

No, there isn't. As far as 2-in-1s go, the x360 is one of the best, but I still don't find it comfortable enough to justify it over a standard laptop version. However, it's also a one of the best laptops (ultrabooks) on the market so either way it's fine.

It's not carbon fiber though
Where the hell did you get that idea?

Spelling out the name seemed like they wanted to change their logo but ran out of ideas
The new bp logo has been EXTREMELY well reviewed, people are literally shitting themselves over the 4 straight lines, so it seemed like it did its job

Also don't forget that the taper and the rubber feet make it possible to have unrestricted cooling in tablet mode
>laptop on lap, gets hot
>flip intake around to other side

If you guys think that's bad, take a look at the Surface Book.

The bottom panel is carbon fiber. Look it up.

i dont understand this picture

there has to be a video of some fatass sitting on his surface book and just crushing it

I got the x360 a month ago. only use it when I visit the folks in another state, but it's a great laptop. I was able to use my phone charger to charge the laptop (off) so having one chager to rule them all is nice. Battery life is crazy good too.

>hp

It's pretty sturdy.

I like that design, doesn't let the screen get covered in keyboard smudges, is a hell of a lot better than a direct swivel for managing that top heaviness, and makes a very easy and unrestricted feel when opening it
It's less portable for sure but my base is just a giant battery, not a GPU so I just leave it at home as a dock (like I assume the way it's meant to be used)

Yeah, I was hung up on the Spectre 13 vs. x360 debate. It ultimately came down to design, screen resolution, and battery life. The x360 I put up against the 13 had a 4k screen as opposed to the 13's FHD. 4k is nice, but not nice enough to sacrifice battery life.

Does yours have a 4k screen?

what do you mean?
HP makes the best business laptops. The big three IMO were always Dell, HP , IBM(Lenovo later on) but then IBM threw the thinkpads in the trash and Dell is borderline dying with the 2in1 meme XPS. HP is the only sane option.

>spectre
>business grade
Also I have an elitebook and while it's built well, it's still a piece of shit
Brb
>Macbook tier cooling
>dogshit tier lcd

Mine has 3200x1800 touchscreen
The text clarity is fucking gorgeous, with this kind of resolution I can dual-window just as effectively as on my 1440p monitor
Of course games run at 900p 2x scaled, which is the main power-hungry graphically-based program that "kills batteries in 4K"

>implying IBM and Chinkshit company have anything to do with eachother

I initially wanted to get one, but I decided on the XPS

If you got the 13, you've made a poor choice
If you've got the 13 2-in-1 I have no sympathy for what you got yourself into

>it's still a piece of shit
its the same as any thinkpad i've seen.
>MacBook tier cooling
replace your fucking fan, it's a bit hot but not by much.
>dogshit tier lcd
milky blacks and shitty greens. But I can't really complain and it doesn't bother me that much desu
I know they don't but chinkshit company absorbed the best line of laptops and turned it macbooks with soldered parts

>so I just leave it at home as a dock (like I assume the way it's meant to be used)
lolwat the tablet only has pretty bad battery life

This is dumb. It's an extra feature that doesn't take away from what the device actually does as a laptop.

You game on integrated graphics? Casual gaming? Also, the screens on both the x360 and the 13 are too small for me to care about 4k resolution. I don't care much at all for resolution, in all honesty. The laptop before this one had 720p max.

Those are really nice laptops; powerful internals, and has understated design. They're much too expensive for me, though. If I'm not mistaken, the lowest-end costs $1500 US.

>buying hardware based on design
Stupid

The XPS 2-in-1 has a 5w mobile chip and the non 2-in-1 has the old-gen equivalent of a 7500U
The 13" XPS's are not powerful machines
I also come from pleb resolutions, I personally think it's even more important for a small screen, the text clarity makes it so you can have windows at a very small size and still be perfectly usable. I run 200% scaling but text and images still have the extra sharpness
And I play fairly low power games or stream AAA games from my desktop. There a YouTube channel where some guy successfully gets new, high power games "playable" on ultrabook CPUs (apparently a 7500U can play GTAV and Fallout 4 at 30fps 720p min settings)

Its the entire reason apple makes billions of dollars yearly, so it can't be that stupid.

>Money means it's a legitimate respectable thing

>2-in-1 tablets with 16:9 screens

>not comfy 3:2 that is close to the aspect ratio of paper

I don't want it close to paper though, I want it extra productive in portrait mode
With the high resolution I don't need the extra horizontal space at all, a taller screen is more useful in tablet mode

>a taller screen is more useful in tablet mode

No. What are you doing that benefits from a taller screen?

Shitposting on Sup Forums, what the fuck else would I be doing?
Sup Forums is not a horizontal website

And you are typing with the touchscreen? That's not very comfortable.

It's comfortable enough
And captcha is effortless

It has nothing to do with the fan, m8. It's just a shit system and lol if a shit lcd doesn't bother you, its one of the parts you interact with most

I just got the Lenovo Yoga 710.

Pretty good laptop,
well built and the battery lasts forever as it's kabylake etc

I did a 4 min review on it if anyone is interested in buying one, it's a 2 in 1 but I just use it as a laptop.

youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw

I tested quite a few convertibles when I needed a new laptop and the Surface aspect ratio is what all laptops and tablets should be in
that's why I bought one

Out of curiosity, why no consideration for Dell's XPS?

Too expensive. I'm on a college budget, but with room for aesthetics.

Because the spectre outright beats the XPS in EVERY metric.

>inb4 muh bezel

Prostitution =/= modern premium design

I might not like their business practices, but like prostitutes, apple always has a paying customer

you forgot, 'in a sexy package'

The Spectre x360 does
The original Spectre loses in battery life, screen resolution/touch/digitizer, keyboard, and sound level (which is pretty low for the original Spectre, I bet it's the reason the x360 is obnoxiously loud)

>only prostitutes have sex

>Reading Comprehension

what is it with the HP spectre shills

this 360 shit needs to die NOW

Not everyone wants cum encrusted t40 running debian user

>doesn't like HP
>definitely a chinkshit lenovo lover

nope, Lenovo is being pushed here as well by shills. theyve achieved what they wanted though with and its a meme now but still its shit,

>Technology being advertised on a technology board

Thank goodness I have a FOSS laptop

Looking at UK prices at least, the XPS 13 is cheaper than the spectre 13 though

In what way? The specs on the HP and Dell sites are basically identical

It looks tacky tbqh

Which one? The non-2-in-1 uses the same 7500U yet has worse battery life and a lower res screen
And the 2-in-1 had a fucking 5w Y-mobile chip

Non-2-in-1 uses a 6500U actually sorry
It makes a difference when it comes to battery life though

Okay, when I see a """ultrabook""" in 2017 with 2 threads cpu named i7 and 8gh heavier than Macbook Air from 2009 and they ask for 2k $ I wonder what the fuck went wrong.

10 years ago producers would not create such notebook and ask for 2k because it looks ridiculous.

When I see modern spec/price ratio its weird, of course modern cpu it faster than core duo cpu from 2005, but it feel like somebody is fucking me in the are without vaseline with this shitty pricing.

Its not about being poor or rich but about self respect.

Is it me or HP Spectre resembles the same art style as in Deus Ex HR game?

Those U series CPUs are fucking expensive
So are OEM NVME drives
So is aluminum unibody milling
Still got mine for under $1000
>Stop buying release day laptops

The spectre has a better keyboard, proper camera placement, functions as a tablet if you wish, and offers dual ir cameras for windows hello.

>with 2 threads CPU named "i7"
You're in for a treat
Remember those 4.5w mobile tablet chips?
Now they're CORE I5 AND I7 POWURRR

I didn't ask for this.

*raucous laughter*

Is'nt it cheaper and sturdier to produce aluminium details by stamping? Why do we keep feeding the CNC jew?

>two threads
the dual core i7s have 4 threads

The i7 on mobile devices are trash if they are U-series since they aren't real i7 which by a standard should have 4 cores and 8 threads.
Why did Intel break their own standards?

Guarantee any computer that wasn't a complete brick at 13" had a worse processor than an i7 U series.

i7 U-series shouldn't exist to begin with.
If they want low wattage CPUs they should at least call them what they are, i3.
If it have 2 cores and 4 threads it's an i3.

No an i3 has never had hyperthreading. on mobile they've always been 2 core 2 thread

>on mobile they've always been 2 core 2 thread
That's the thing.
It shouldn't differ just because it's a mobile.
If it's a 2 core 4 threads it's an i3 end of story.
If it's a 4 core 4 threads it's an i5.
If it's a 4+ core 8+ threads it's a an i7

The product sub name is all there is to have to differ them from the desktop versions which either use no letters, S, T or K or whatever they throw out now.
Laptop CPUs like the HQ and MQ are prime examples of what a true i7 is like on mobile.

You wouldn't call a Mustang with a V6 a V8 just because it's a cab instead of a sedan would you?
No, exactly.
Hate analogies? Deal with it.

You seem to be forgetting there's more than one mobile series. The U-series is exclusively for smaller ultraportable devices like 13" laptops, whilst the larger 15" laptops have the HQ series which follow the traditional i3,i5,i7 pattern with 4 cores/4 threads, 4 cores/ 8 threads, etc./

>The U-series is exclusively for smaller ultraportable
Duh.... That's what the U stands for...
Intel should stop giving it a faulty name since it doesn't matter if it's low watt or not, if it doesn't have enough cores it doesn't fall into the i5 or i7 category.

U stands for Ultra-low Voltage.

All it means is that i3, i5, i7 don't mean the same thing across different series. Don't like it? Deal with it.

Try again.
It stands for ultra portable because of it's low wattage use, the voltage is almost identical to the other ones.

Next up Intel release a V4 2.4 liter and calls it a V8 with 4.8 liter just because the car is ecogreen.

Intel does this because people go "Oh an i7, that's the best version" and ends up buying an i3 with an i7 sticker.

yeah maybe if you can't fucking read

also
>voltage is almost identical
I didn't know 5w was close to 45w retard

fan curves, you can adjust it if you don't like it.

I don't mind shit lcds because i've always used shit screens. iPad Air, Droid RAZR M and my trusty 8460p all look the same to me while movie watching

About 90% of all mobile based i7s have been dual core, starting even before sandy bridge, and definitely "Ultra low voltage" precedes "it's not like muh desktop!"

I would just call any mustang a piece of heavy iron shit, or heavy plastic shit

It does stand for Ultra low voltage
10 seconds of Google would've saved you from looking retarded

The voltage isn't the wattage
BUT
>.8v is the same as 1.3v

>lower fan curve
Fucking hot
>higher fan curve
Loud and slightly less hot. You can't make up for a shit cooling system
There's no problem if you can put up with shit screens. I have no real issue with my 8470p's shitty 1600x900 to panel but it's simply unacceptable on a laptop that cost over $1000

that gold tone makes it look gaudy as fuck
like some russian millionare laptop

i thought it was xps 15 > hp, x1, everything
and then hp spectre x360 > xps 13

I like it more than the thinkpads I came from
What a difference

I'm literally just trying to decide on the hp spectre x360 or xps 13. poorfag college student reporting in.

my x220 is falling apart lmao