Monitor General

>have Acer H234H
>Works fine but has no ability to auto-sleep when computer goes to sleep/turns off
>have to manually press the flimsy power button on monitor itself
>Finally save up enough to get an aesthetically pleasing monitor
>Dell S2716DGR 27"
>order it online
>arrives, switch out monitors, put new one in
>glorious as fuck, thin bezels, WORKING SLEEP FUNCTION WHEN COMPUTER SLEEPS
>Day 3
>Turn on computer awhile, everything boots up
>go into other room to make some breakfast
>come back in, monitor went to sleep
>oh you ^_^ (stopped reading here)
>move mouse
>still asleep
>type keyboard
>still asleep
>Have to turn off computer and restart
>monitor comes back on
>wait it out
>monitor goes back to sleep (normal)
>can't wake it up

Look at reviews online. Some glowing, some with bullshit like washed out colors, terrible ghosting, pixel inversion... discover several with problems with power-sleep mode issues.

I do not want to play the monitor lottery. I just want to have a business-sexy-looking monitor with normal sleep/wake options again.

Time to die.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag352ucg/
cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-959nf-crt-monitor-19/specs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hate the concept of money in that everything is literally "you get what you pay for". There's no such thing as a legitimately good deal anymore.

I shouldn't have to pay $600 - $1,000 for a monitor that's acceptable, while paying $400 is a risk which usually yields terrible results.

Does anyone else have a Dell monitor like the S2716DG with a problem like this?
Is it just a known problem or did I fail at the monitor lottery?

Shouldn't have to based on who's standards? Yours? The market will charge what it can to make as much money as it can. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Enough people doing that might lower the costs.

Currently on a dell 22" monitor from 2009, would like to go bigger, higher res. I'm not sure if i should go for a 24/27" 1080 monitor or splurge on a 27" 1440 monitor. I'm mostly using it for gaming. USB hub is pretty essential, i have my peripherals plugged into my monitor and i share it with my laptop once in a while when i don't feel like turning the desktop on.

>TN
>falling for jew-sync

It's TN, but my Acer was TN as well, and it's honestly not bad.
When you're researching where to put that $400+ into a new monitor, you look at everything with a critical pro and con, especially the cons.
When you see "TN" and read about so many spouting shit like:
>he bought a TN
>2017
you think critically against it.
But knowing my Acer was TN which had surprisingly minimal color distortion at angles (only most noticably if I was standing above it looking down), how faster it is compared to a similarly priced IPS display, and having to cite "IPS glow" as a con if I were to go for an IPS display, I went for it.

Granted, when I first got this monitor, it was super bright, and colors were washed out. But fortunately someone made a review in Amazon giving their color setup within the monitor menu and Nvidia settings. The screen ended up really dark and colors looked very vibrant.

I'm really torn with this no-wake-after-sleep problem though. I don't want to have to spend the next 4+ years having to manually press the monitor's power button, which is already flimsy enough.
And I really wanted to do a dual monitor setup. I wanted to pair this monitor with a Dell UltraSharp U2717D which is IPS, but I'd use that one more for photoshop and video editing, and have it be my primary monitor for Linux when Windows 7 shits the bed and I make the switch to a Linux/Windows 7 VM with GPU Passthru in a couple of years. This setup was the first step in that direction. Most importantly, it'd match this monitor. So I'm sitting here trying to replicate the wake/sleep issue, debating if I should just return it before the 30 days is up and play the whole monitor lottery which sounds like a lot of people play for a couple of months.

My monitor came with a USB 3.0 cable. Do I have to plug that in to the computer or do the USB ports on the side work independently on their own with power from the monitor itself?

> Nvidia settings
> color setup
You do realize that all it does is lossily compress the color range? If FFFFFF is too bright for you and you lower brightness in software it means FFFFFF is displayed as for example F0F0F0, but to do that FEFEFE is also displayed as F0F0F0 and so on

Try turning off deep sleep in the monitor settings.

I have one, and I've never had the problems you're describing. I'd definitely contact Dell to see if you can get a replacement.

Not the monitor but either os or video card behavior. I have seen these with issues on display port that was similar, switch to HDMI and no issue.

Yes, you have to plug the USB cable into the monitor and the computer to get the USB hub to work. The only monitors that aren't like this are Thunderbolt monitors, which have data and video go over the same cable.

Dell U2515H x2

Currently considering the Asus VG248QE
>24.0"
>1920x1080
>144Hz Monitor

I wanted a 1440p monitor with more than 60Hz, and maybe 24"~27", but my budget can only dedicate so much to a monitor. Friend has the same, likes his.

The sooner you figure out how dumb you sound in this post the sooner you'll be able to move out of Mom's basement.

LG 27UD58-B

Reasonably priced and I'm pretty happy with it. No complaints and macOS renders well at this dpi.

I can solve your problem. You have two possible issues. One you are using display port and Dell has trouble with that and sleeping. Furthermore lots of dp cables don't follow the standard. Order a good one from monoprice. Second issue may be hdmi related.

i currently have an xstar DP2414LED

its one of those cheap korean monitors people used to rave about here, the colours are a bit trash, and it has one dead pixel, but it happily sits at stupidly high refresh rates and only cost $200

US monitors came down in price with warranties, hence the Korean monitor fad died.

Is HDMI better than DP?
My Acer was using HDMI and it could not send the sleep/wake signal at all. When I turned my computer off or it went to sleep, my monitor would just go blackscreen with a "NO SIGNAL" box bouncing around.
I knew something was up because the monitor I had before the Acer (forgot what, but it used a VGA cable) was able to wake/sleep just fine.
Can HDMI output a 2560x1440 144hz signal WITH the ability to wake/sleep?
Because I'm ecstatic that this Dell was able to do the thing that bothered me most about my last monitor.

Alright, that's what I figured. Thanks

Interesting, I did not know this. I do notice that as soon as I boot into Windows, the colors will reflect the settings made in the monitor itself, and then a split-second later the colors change to the even darker colors made from the Nvidia settings. So I can believe that.

Yeah I'm sick of this monitor lottery bullshit as well. Paying more is still a lottery, all those high end gayming gsync monitors have tons of issues unless you get a good unit.

Wanted to upgrade from my Benq BL2411 but not happening anytime soon when the odds are you'll get a fucked up monitor with light bleed, poor uniformity and the occational dead pixel.

It isn't a good time to buy a monitor anyway why hdr and other new standards coming.

I've had mine for over a year now. Very nice monitor, i have no complaints so far.

When will it be a good time?
Because you have to wait for whatever it is to come out, and THEN you have to wait until it goes on sale. Endless waiting.

>thin bezels
That's what you get for making everyone complain about bezels. Rather have screens with bezels than overpriced, under protected easy to break bullshit.

Thin bezels don't even look good. They are only useful in multi-monitor setups.

What's the cheapest 24" 144hz meme monitor? i don't care about the foot because i have a nice spare VESA stand

Legit question, does the surface studio have a good display for doing webdesign stuff?

The Dell thin bezels look awesome.

looking for a cheap 1080p monitor for my mother, what should I prioritize?

Is the Asus PG279Q a good monitor? Does anyone here have one?

Anyone here has Dell UP2516d? How bad is build quality?
I need a new monitor and I really want it Adobe RGB but can't afford new 27" while used U2711 seems not reliable enough in the long term.

>TN

First one I got had some weird ass screen door effect. It was retarded. Flickered and shit.

Returned it, got another. Has been perfect for a year.

>I do not want to play the monitor lottery
never buy TN panels. Don't be a faggot.

No one can answer you because it still doesn't exist outside of a Microsoft store.

A lot of low end IPS panels are kind of shit too, meanwhile it feels like VA has vanished into thin air at least around here.

Man I really want a new 27" display but 4k ist just to big to play my autism simulators with at reasonable fps
how shit would 1440p look on this thing?

How are 1080p 27" monitors? I like really big monitors and I need to pixel split for the games I play.

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

Just preordered the AOC Agon AG352UCG based on the PCmonitors review pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag352ucg/ which goes through everything.

>3440*1440
>no IPS glow
>no backlight bleed
>G-sync
>300€ less than comparable monitors

The gaymen aesthetic is laughable but won't be a problem since I'll have it against a wall

>manufacturers and sellers are not liable for dead pixels
Yeah, fuck buying monitors. I will just use my cheap 1280x1024 TN shitter from 2004 until I die.

>buying anything less then 4k
>Buying a ton panel
>Buying less then a 60hz refresh rate
>Not buying a free sync or gsync monitor
>Anything less then 99.99% RGB
>In the year of our Lord two thousand and seven fucking teen A.D.
I shiggy

Anybody on the first question with input??

>TN

why even bother making this thread with that garbage 90s technology

you can dress shit up but it's still a steaming pile of shit

>2005 17'' eMachines eView CRT
>1280x1024 @ 60Hz
>D-SUB only

>Have no plans on upgrading until it breaks

i want an ips panel because the colors on my tn panel are dogshit

however i dont really want to spend a lot of money on a 1440p/2160p monitor in the result that it would make shit that is forcibly rendered at 900p/1080p (console games) look worse than they already do

couldnt I just get a 1080p panel and downsample it to 1440p and achieve the same sort of effect?

Cheap and 1080p.

I have 2 of the QNIX 2710 1440p IPS overclocked to 100hz that were 200$ each, and a Pixio PX277 1440p144 IPS freesync that was 350$.

Huge bezels on them all though, like 1.5 inches.

>buying anything tech related without looking up reviews first

ISHIGGYDIGGY

>get new prescription glasses
>wow my monitor is shit

>2560x1440
>$300-$500
>2560x1600
>$1000+

Is 21:9 still a meme?

About to drop $900 on the Asus PA328Q. Finally want to get to 4k.

If you were close to id donate you this despite loving it

Lovely Mitsubishi Diamondtron tubes

cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-959nf-crt-monitor-19/specs/

It's really dumb how the only affordable options for 16:10 right now are all 1200p or lower.

>is X a meme

What the fuck are you trying to say?

27" 1080 no glasses
feelsgood

Just used Amazon employee discount to buy an ASUS monitor, hopefully it was worth the $400 (even after discount).

Bought two 1280x1024@75Hz LG Flatron for 20 eurodollars.

Couldn't find any 1920x1080@75Hz for cheap so decided to buy some used shit.
Why is that there are almost no +60Hz full HD monitors? Bandwidth problems?

>its one of those cheap korean monitors people used to rave about here
oh yea i remember this meme. nice to finally meet someone who fell for it.

Are you telling me that people buy thin bezel screens just for the aesthetics? I thought these were only for multi-monitor setups.

Got an Acer 1440p 27in 144hz g sync monitor for 545. Refurbished but so far, minor Blb and no dead pixels. Only thing is that it will randomly black screen after like 10 mins. It doesn't do this when I have my second monitor hooked up. Should I be worried?

Asus PG278QR
2560 x 1440
165hz

Coming from a 60hz HP monitor its like i have stepped into the real world, been using this monitor daily for a month having no issues so far

went from 1080p Dell to PG279Q it was like opening my eyes for first time again

Whats some reccomended monitors that are good?

I'm looking for an ips 1440 27 inch or 25 inch

Is it worth buying 1440 and 4k 24 inch monitors, or is it pointless?

Get a TV instead monitor if you arent going to game
>Cheaper
>No dead pixels or bleed
>Better colors, contrast and brightness
>Bigger
>Caring about going more than Full HD when it means having to spend 10x as much and getting shitty screens
The market isn't ready for anything better atm and will be for another 10years

Are OLED monitors a thing?

OLED TVs look fucking amazing but after a lazy google search it doesn't seem like they're available.

I do game but rarely, and Im not a gaymer retard.

Mostly civ, and paradox games so I dont mind the low framerate, but if I wanted to play some triple A game like far cry, would that be a horrible experience?

Also what tv would you recommend just to get a starting point?

No it wouldn't, you wouldn't even notice more than 60fps, 60fps is truly the best and most comfortable framerate you want your monitor to run at.

I have no clue what to suggest desu, I got a 32inch philips TV atm that I got 5yrs ago for 400$ and isnt being sold anymore. It still has great color, brightness and nice darktones. Never had problems of dead pixels either. Will most likely still use this tv for atleast another 5yrs as I seriously doubt its gonna die on my anytime soon

If I were you get a TV that isn't marketing the whole "smarttv" garbage, from my knowledge those monitors can be very annoying to use(frequent lag, cant change your tv input/brightness etc. as easiliy without freezing and having to turn off/on)

If you can't find anything else that isn't a SmartTV, I'd recommend steering away from android and going for something with webOS then