I'm ready to ascend to the highest form of existence. What should I expect?

I'm ready to ascend to the highest form of existence. What should I expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installation_alternatives#Installation_from_non-Gentoo_LiveCDs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>hes actually going to install gentoo
Expect anime and memes.

The best GNU/Linux™ experience around.

To become one with the matrix

Shitposting tomorrow about why you got back to Wangblows because muh comfy OS.

this

I still don't understand. How does a hardened gentoo protect against kernel mischief

Won't happen. I'm on Arch right now.

Enabling specific options in the toolchain (compiler, linker ...) such as forcing position-independent executables (PIE), stack smashing protection and compile-time buffer checks.
Enabling PaX extensions in the Linux kernel, which offer additional protection measures like address space layout randomization and non-executable memory.
Enabling grSecurity extensions in the Linux kernel, including additional chroot restrictions, additional auditing, process restrictions, etc..
Enabling SELinux extensions in the Linux kernel, which offers a Mandatory Access Control system enhancing the standard Linux permission restrictions.
Enabling Integrity related technologies, such as Integrity Measurement Architecture, for making systems resilient against tampering

Unless you want to dualboot, consider installing with an UEFI stub kernel. Not having to deal with a bootloader is pretty comfy, as well as the significant improvement in boot times.

Try ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to be a little more on the bleeding edge; it used to mean that things would break and fail to compile from time to time, but not anymore.

If you don't give a shit about localisation (like every person under 40 in the first world), set the useflag "-nls". It cleans up the dependency graph of the system packages and seriously helps the circular dependency issues from upgrading old installations.

lmao rIP enjoy ur dead meme OS

I installed this weekend. Last time I used gentoo was around '10. Back then it took forever but its much faster to compile on a modern i7.

I'm and I remember back then I was using ~amd64 and I had problems all the time frequently stuff like packages wouldnt build but if I waited till later and resynced they would, or they would build but would crash. This time I used stable and so far I havent had any problems like that. Really how stable is ~amd64 nowadays?

Also Im really impressed by how quicly things build on a modern processor. It used to to several days straight compiling.

>Try ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to be a little more on the bleeding edge; it used to mean that things would break and fail to compile from time to time, but not anymore.

Busybox broke not that long ago, but yeah it's very rare and stuff get's fixed fast.

Still UEFI stub and ~amd64 are confy as fuck.

Don't be discouraged if it takes a long time and several tries to get it working, once you have it set up the way you like it it's actually pretty effortless to maintain.

>Really how stable is ~amd64 nowadays?

Pretty stable. I have 691 packages installed on my desktop and they all built with no issues last time I did an overnight emptytree rebuild.

in that case the only thing you need to do is get used to the pkg manager
portage is a big boy pkg manager, with many files to edit and many many commands, with many helper pkgs like layman, eix, eselect, elogview, equery, etc
its a steep learning curve coming from pacman which is the easiest to use pkg manager
in the end its totally worth it, you'll never go back
you'll be astounded by the power and flexibility and virtually limitless options
you're doing right thing for yourself by finally switching

you dont belong to master race linux, fuck off

Serious question for the Gentoo users: are the noticeable performance gains from using Gentoo?

6 hours to compile chromium

>twm
my nigga

>highest form
>not LFS
ok

Booting a slimmed down kernel that you've compiled yourself is certainly faster.

We use Gentoo at work for certain use cases (e.g. packet processing), as some software benefit greatly from being optimised for the architecture it's running on. Having USE flags also makes is possible to remove bloat and unneeded dependencies from packages, improving startup times and memory usage.

As for ricing beyond "-O2 --march=native" the gains are minor; probably ~5% in the best case.

I'm installing it right now.
Sysrescuecd can't take screenshots, I guess.

Did you go with a stub kernel? Better have booted it in UEFI mode if so.

If you want to be extra comfy and shitpost while you install gentoo, install gentoo from the ubuntu live cd.

Here's a gentoo wiki tutorial on how to do that:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installation_alternatives#Installation_from_non-Gentoo_LiveCDs

You're on the right path.

Windows (gaymer retard) > Ubuntu (experiment with Linux) > Arch Linux > Gentoo > Windows/macOS/Ubuntu (enlightenment).

You should expect to fail in the worst possible way

To spend all your time compiling and trying to diagnose emerge error messages.

I only USEd
>x11-apps/xinit -minimal
to get a simple basic test and until I figure out what WM to use and then I'll reemerge x11-apps/xinit with USE minimal

>5%
>minor gains

It is my 3rd attempt at installing Gentoo. I'm 100% certain that my previous attempts failed because I did not understand the whole (U)EFI deal.
I'm a guy who has pretty much been rocking Debian and GRUB2 for the last couple years.
There is a lot to learn but as long as I read the manual and other documentation several times over, I should get the hang of it.
And yes, I made sure to check I was in UEFI mode when I booted. NOT checking actually led to my first install, haha.

>best case

he's being optimistic

see
It'll be much easier with documentation in a browser window on the same screen.

>you have a shit processor

>gentoo
>hard to install

Unless you are tech illiterate a base gentoo system is pretty easy to set up. The hard part is making it useful.

I've only tried the install with the official LiveDVD and sysrescuecd. LiveDVD didn't work for lack of UEFI boot support, I believe.

But good to know I can install Gentoo from different mediums.
Being able to read docs, and browse Sup Forums and /jp/ while emerging would be pretty comfy.

wasting your time on bullshit

fyi systemrescuecd has a DE too, alt-f3 to different tty and startx to start it, IIRC

You are correct, it does.
But browsing the boards is like having IE9's broken CSS on top of a super vanilla Sup Forums with no scripts, or ReCAPTCHA support.
NetSurf does okay, however, with news and text based websites.

Now I've got xorg configured with a better resolution, also X running as a non-root user, and got fluxbox.

an hour here
chromium does not support parallel building