I got a server mostly for seedbox purposes but I was thinking about using it for plex + a tablet to watch stuff on bed...

I got a server mostly for seedbox purposes but I was thinking about using it for plex + a tablet to watch stuff on bed and I'm curious

This shit is supposed to be played from a web browser to avoid the paid version, right?

Since this shit transcode the video to your device and serve it in a motherfucking web, do you lose quality doing it?

No , depends on ur upload internet speed, so if u only jave like 2mb upload n ur family is streaming netflix plus ur lil bro is playing league ur going to get sht quality if the video even plays

I have 1GB internet so that will not be a issue I guess

I use a spare optiplex I had laying around as a Plex server and it works wonders, I highly recommend it. Okay now that my unpaid shill is over to answer your question I haven't had any problems with quality.

Using web?

You only have to pay for the device apps, the server is free

Yee, all of the transcoding and what not is handled through the server. If you want to install the app on your phone, tablet or whatever it is free.

Looks like a fucking e6700 can't handle 720p chink cartuns

I just got a roku and I set up a Plex server for it. I'm a subsonic user, so the most jarring switch for me is that it's taken hours to get through my media folder

Why not use your desktop with samba shares? That is, unless you don't have any of your media on your home network.

can't you just use samba? If you want menus and metadata you can use kodi.

Samba for what?

weird. i have plex running on a sandy bridge era mobile pentium and a r7670m and i run 1080p streaming fine.

You really should have a quadcore at a minimum for plex transcoding. On top of that, Intel didn't have iGPUs until 2010 when they started using the i-series branding, so your E6700 doesn't even have an iGPU (although I don't know if Plex leverages the iGPU). I'm using a 2400S underclocked to 2.2ghz without any problems. It's low power and cheap on ebay. Probably one of the best options available for a media server until Ryzen 3 launches.

You can tell it to transcode or not. This can be a per client setting.

I use Plex in local mode so it's more or less the same. Chugs up with the buffering sometimes, wish I knew how to fix it.

the problem is that some devices/applications can't run specific file formats (this includes most browsers), so they will transcode whether you like or not

Just pick this option if you want max quality

>Just fuck my cycles up, senpai

So how is this a bad thing? If the client can't handle the format, then transcoding is preferable to not playing the file at all.

If you don't plan on streaming outside your LAN you should consider something like Kodi which is completely free software instead.

I don't understand. I've had plex for years and never paid for it, either the server or any of the device apps.

Who pays for plex?

>people suggesting software to access a LAN

just network the drive guys, geez

Certain aspects of Plex are unlocked with money. However, if you're clever and have the know-how, you can get around them.

Android app is limited to 1m playback if you don't pay

hollywood and intelligence agencies probably

I have a 12Tb Plex server running on a dual socket 1366 board. Shits great yo, have about 15-20 people that stream from it regularly. The Win 10 Desktop app is free, the ios and android ones cost but are worth it.

I got a lifetime sub when it was only £45