Does encryption kill performance? I have 4 devices I am planning on encrypting...

Does encryption kill performance? I have 4 devices I am planning on encrypting. A Google nexus 10 tabled (already did the encryption). A Samsung galaxy note 5 (about to do the encryption). A windows 7 hp laptop and a 17.5 inch windows 10 hp omen.

Should I expect to see major issues with any of these things? I use the tablet just for comics, the windows 7 laptop is my normal laptop and the omen I've only used for steam games so far because I am not super big on windows 10

Other urls found in this thread:

esecurityplanet.com/open-source-security/truecrypt-travails-continue-1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fukken nerd lol

answer is "no"

What program should I used to encrypt the laptops?

Veracrypt is nice.

>Does encryption kill performance?
the performance impact is measurable but not noticeable.

I have been thinking about encrypting my Note 5 also but the only thing holding me back is that I won't be able to track it if its ever stolen or lost, and loses battery or is turned off for some reason.

it shouldn't be a problem, but why are you encrypting laptops used just for games and comics?

dude, what do you think "encrypting" is, exactly?

eventually I am going to switch over to the omen full time after the windows 7 laptop dies. I kinda bought the windows 10 one cause the windows 7's battery got fried and I thought it was the whole laptop. I got a new battery for it and it works fine now but it is like 3 or 4 years old so I expect some issues soon I guess.

If you're using Windows then VeraCrypt is your best choice, open source, audited at least once I recall with little issue, it is good because it can also encryption your entire system or make an entire hidden OS, as for Linux you can use LUKS for system encryption, whilst VeraCrypt can still make hidden volumes.

Fuck off verashills. Truecrypt 7.1a is the only thing you should be using.

tomatelas, gordo

Yes and no.

If your CPU has built in functionality, and your software is using it, you don't see much of a CPU hit. Almost every modern desktop and mobile CPU has this functionality.

If you're doing full disk encryption, you will see a bit of an IO drop if you're using a spinning disk. SSDs also experience some drop, but you'll have to break out IO benchmarking tools to measure it. You won't notice it in your day to day activity.

If you see a major performance hit, look up the guides for whichever software you're using, and see how to make sure it's using the CPU's extensions for encryption.

FYI, linux distros have a tool called cryptsetup, which will benchmark all the common encryption options, so you know which one will give you the best throughput on your hardware. I'm sure windows has similar tools.

IPhone is the only one that does it right. Everything's hardware based. On Android, it's all done in software and doesn't work well and also slows everything down.

sauce

>On Android, it's all done in software and doesn't work well and also slows everything down.
Shill harder fanboi.

Android uses the on-chip encryption since it first introduced encryption on the stock OS. And since almost ever major vendor uses qualcom CPUs, they all have it.

>I'm sure windows has similar tools.
lol no

Anyone have sources on how secure android encryption is? I've never been able to find any. FBI wasn't able to crack iphone so that's reassuring. Is android encryption safe after you first boot up the phone and unlock it? In other words, is it safe while turned on but locked?

Any vulnerabilities?

>Shill
stating actual facts is not shilling.

CIA had 20+ Android zero days and precisely ZERO iOS 10 zero days.

Where i can find lawful one?

What do you mean?
it's your choice if you want to use software that is no longer maintained, I recall reading an article with an interview with one of the TrueCrypt developers that said that there were a few security issues.
know that VeraCrypt is basically a fork of TrueCrypt, but with more features and more secure

esecurityplanet.com/open-source-security/truecrypt-travails-continue-1.html

Ok, the windows 7 one has a spinning disk I am pretty sure because it's older and I can hear it spin. but I mainly use it for Internet and it is the more important one to encrypt.

The omen is a 17t and has an SSD.

So in theory the omen wont have issues running games for me, or I won't be able to notice any issues when running the games?

Of course I know what it means nigga. But for the tracking software to work the phone has to be on, and if it powers off for whatever reason they wont be able to turn it on because they dont have the encryption password. Make sense?

Wud fug the shiz out of her

I don't notice it at all on my Haswell machine.

>all these pedophiles itt

tomatela negro de mierda