/cyb/ - Cyberpunk General

Perpetually on page 10 edition

These threads are for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, and even current events.
Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources Old Pasta

Other urls found in this thread:

youarelistening.to/
randomvariations.com/category/osi-300-trainer/
piratebox.cc/
youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Found this question on another /cyb/:
>List something cyberpunk-ish you do/are doing irl

For example: I've been studying for certs and running VMs inside of VMs with ESXi, Looking to set up some web facing servers for irc, teamspeak, and some other stuff. Got a guy cyber-squatting on some pretty schway domain names that he'd probably be willing to trade for some 3d design/printing work.

Anyone else?

I was gonna ask what domains, but I suppose revealing them wouldn't be in your best interest.

I'm currently running a rack full of secondhand servers. Shit's comfy as fuck. Needs more neon glowing aesthetic though. Also the monitor failed.

Another pic with more light.
Grey Server is running ESXi with a bunch of vms handling web/firewall/mumble/freenas/owncloud/plex

The black machine that you can't see because of the keyboard tray is my personal machine running unraid with a virtual domain inside. It has an instance of windows server and several virtual machines that are passed through to graphics cards and run to my tv and desk where there are keyboards/monitors hooked up.

There's also about an hour of standby batteries stashed behind the rack.

I should really get around to learning how docker works.

Forgot pic.

Daily reminder that things are only going to get worse. Technology is going to advance and people will get dumber, privacy will be breached and freedom compromised. The collision between chaos and order will be more drastic in people. Our thoughts will be monitored. Lives will be harder to sustain once AI and robotics get steam-rolled into conventional labor. Robots and AI will only make the elites richer since they now have free labor, while unemployment and poverty will increase, making economic inequality increase. People won't care since their reality is skewed through the lenses of intentionally placed propaganda on social media. They'll even agree with the policies because it's aesthetic is seemingly progressive and that appeals to the engineered ideology. Junk tech will get bigger. Useful technology will be stuck in the past. Enjoy the free internet while you can, because it's will be the last medium to share information freely that isn't compromised. They'll be rolling out internet licenses soon enough. That'll be how they subversively control the flow of information. The dark times are only beginning and we've seen the last of the good emperors. Stay healthy and trust no one.

I like that /cyb/ was added to the image

>List something cyberpunk-ish you do/are doing irl
War games on overthewire.org

I've learnt so much about Linux from these, as well as working through a book on penetration testing.

I want to make a raspberry Pi a forward facing server, and set it up as a honeypot with a bunch of logicbombs in there so if some clever cunt tries something he'll get nuked

thx chummer i did it in ms paint

I've always wanted a minicomputer, I'd kill for a nova 800, even an early micro like an 8800, but I just found this little thing. A "trainer computer", for people before they went in front of a main machine. The repro has a fair bit more memory than the original OSI 300, but if you don't use it it doesn't matter, the original guide it came with still stands.
If I'm really lucky the guy who originally made the repro will have some left, but chances are I'll just go and order some custom PCB's myself, then track down the bits.

best cyberpunk movie ever made?

nice setup

Spy Kids 3D: Game Over

Sounds pretty close to what I want to eventually get set up. Not too worried about home theater stuff, but I do need to either get a VM working right to run my CAD software and my 3D printer, or build another PC for that and repurpose the existing PC into a virtualization server.

Decisions, decisions. And money. Money helps...

youarelistening.to/
good /cyb/ radio plays ambient music from soundcloud over various police scanners

Now I'm trying to contact the guy who made this, Christopher, I think.
Nothing on the site seems to have his contact info, all the comments on his stuff is closed, and the only other trace of him is a single post on a forum by a new account with no other details.
Anyone help me out here?
randomvariations.com/category/osi-300-trainer/

well, vm setup is fast and easy, really. I do it all the time.

Thx for this site

Production manager at a brand new club and am figuring out how to control the entire lighting rig from my smartwatch

I do too, but it would be less of a headache to just get the few parts I need for a dedicated machine, instead of trying to get the features and connectivity I need out of a vm.

Then I could throw 2012 or 2016 DC on the current box, server it out, and stick it in a closet.

You might want to reconsider the air flow. As it is it will suck dustbunnies off the floor.

Blade Runner.

Why not go for the Cosmac ELF? The design is more than 40 years old and still lives on. The "Membership Card" design fits into an Altoid tin.

I use a raspi for my 3d printer. I don't trust a VM to be real-time enough to keep the gcode flowing fast enough.

making my home network a security sanctuary. i have everything mapped out but i need to buy a NIC and possibly buy a wireless card. also i have an old ps3 running linux dedicated to trip mining

The 1802 doesn't exactly have the community of the the 6502, plus the 300 has a bloody good "Getting started" guide.

See that's one of my problems. That and I'm a poorfag with a shitty XYZ printer that needs a proprietary slicer to run properly. Raspi would be awesome if I had a decent printer.

All I need is a board, case, and ssd anyhow. Got a ton of leftover parts from upgrades and trashcan rescues.

Indubitably the legendary 6502 has a cult status others can only dream of. It was the first processor I came across and I learned assembly code before BASIC.

The 1802 has one major advantage though: low power consumption, and the compactness of the Membership Card is pretty hard to beat.

>and the compactness of the Membership Card is pretty hard to beat.
I can't argue with that, plus it's the only kit you can actually get your hands on.
I'll order one when I have a few bucks spare, but for now I will keep searching for the OSI 300.

bump

>movies
I've been wondering if the new gits movie is going to stimulate any interest in cyberpunk in the mainstream, as paradoxical as it sounds. It might at least become more relevant, considering the state of the world off and online nowadays.

we've been able to delay that shit for at least 8 years ever since Nov 8
not everyone with money and power is a demonic psychopath, some prefer to live in a free world full of positive energy
the factions that want to bring about the dystopia you spoke of, are far from being completely in control

you know I use botnet 10 along side my gentoo and bsd installs, and botnet aside its a pretty solid os, and can even be fun if you know what you're doing
but mspaint instead of paint.net, cmon now

Just watched Animatrix for the first time and holly shit was it incredible. The should make a full movie out of the Second Renaissance.

I always thought the Second Renaissance was far better than any of the sequels, even the original.
I just fear hollywood would fuck it up utterly, painting the humans as the good guys, rather than the manipulated, manipulating selfish dumb assholes they are.

Now that I think about it, a film that paints humans as the bad guys would be such a shock to the mainstream audiences the reaction would be gold.

Fuck Hollywood, they already ruined GitS anyway. This was done in Japan anyway, just make a 2 trilogy that starts as Time of Eve and ends like Terminator.

Anyone got the number of the guys who did Ex Machina?
At least they might have the delicacy to work around it.
Netflix is into avant guard stuff too, right?

>Netflix
Since they are going to adapt Castlevania, I doubt they would not be interested in adapting Matrix, though the problem is getting permission from the Wachowskis sisters or whoever holds the franchise.

>Wachowskis sisters
Heh
OH FUCK YOU ARE SHITTING ME THEY BOTH WENT TRANS?
FUCKING BOTH OF THEM?

Reality is stranger than fiction, cybro

such things that balding may do to a man

At least she lost some fat [spoiler]and some balls[/spoiler].

People are individuals now. They don't care how their culmination of wealth effects the economy because have the Randian philosophy of thinking nothing matters but themselves. Even if they're not actively pessimistic towards the common people, it's in their nature to optimize whatever is in their best interest, which is the cultivation of wealth.

EVERY single person with money and power is a sociopath. All they do is maintain some plausible deniability so things can't backfire.

Ever big company does some barely legal shit, like buying from a factory that is known to explore slave labor; paying government officials to look the other way; creating monopolies, cartels, etc.

How they do it? Simple, if you are upper management you can dictate profit quotas to lower management, the lower management get this almost impossible order so the only way to comply is doing barely legal shit. When regulatory agencies find this stuff and if it doesn't implicate them lower management gets the blame while upper management get that sweet profit margins.

why isnt /cyb/ getting implants yet

You mean like paying a tattoo artist to insert magnets under your skin?
Thanks, but I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a little.

>Simple, if you are upper management you can dictate profit quotas to lower management
That can still go wrong, like with Lehman Brothers. And boy does it go wrong, like taking the entire world economy with it down the tubes.

>why isnt /cyb/ getting implants yet
because that's stupid.

They are really useless for now.

same thing for tattoos and piercings but people get them anyway

At least implants have a greater potential than only being something people regret when they get older. Wouldn't get either anyway.

It's not that they specifically want an apocalypse, or that they hate everyone beneath them, it's that power and money are addictive substances, and that what's good for them (satisfying those addictions) tends to be bad for us. Unfortunately when the technology matures it's usually in the hands of megacorps who want to use it to control you. (Think vr headsets and cars)

you're not entirely wrong, but there's at least a minority of the shot callers who do now want to see the world burn

The Wachowski Tragedy

Nah, that was before Jupiter ASScending.

I never really believed in that sort of conspiracy.
I don't believe in it because anecdotal evidence tells me the contrary, go to a room of people, any people, and make them decide on something, it is almost guaranteed that no decision or some really crap decision will be made, now there is a lot of safeguards in our society implicit or explicit, it would take an enormous effort to a small group to precisely change something in global scale.

The same thing can be said in a highly hierarchical group, the "mastermind" will dictate something and the lower members will execute it differently or not execute it at all every corporation has these problems.

What I do believe is decentralized chaos, is not like the google founders said "Hey let's sell user information for profit" I think is more like Mark from marketing came up with a really crazy idea in a meting and Larry&Sergey greenlight the project and IIRC they bought the company that created it, it's really hard to see ethical repercussions when you are looking in a spreadsheet.
There is a lot of theories that can be debunked with the same reasoning, like big pharma and the cannabis prohibition, they know that cannabis make better painkillers but it would cost them enormous sums of money and time to change their production, so they invest in the government to don't legalize it.

there definitely is a conspiracy
the government does nothing by accident
everything that happened and is happening, and the fallout people have to put up with, was all planned
not by everyone in power, only certain few individuals
Trump wasn't planned, that was a huge surprise, and a win for the people for the first time in history
that made the deep state make loud moves on a frequency where they were seen and have revealed themselves
there definitely is a conspiracy to turn humanity into mindless slaves and its been in effect for thousands of years
but the reality is that this world needs balance
and (((they))) have been winning for far too long
Trump is the first of many victories for the people
we have entered an era of peace, love, and positive energy
but, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep fighting
the enemy is the most wretched and treacherous force

you can't enter a cyberpunk thread and call trump a "victory for the people"

Nothing to justify the cost yet. I'll do it once I can either increase cognitive, sensory, or physical function in a way that's noticeable in daily life. I may get a magnet implant one day but I think that's pretty low-tech and not very cyberpunk.

Having worked for a governmental agency (no, nothing exciting) and a state owned enterprise, I can say
>there definitely is a conspiracy
... that there definitely is no grand conspiracy. many are so dim you wonder how they manage to get their shows on, most likely they are grateful for velcro. Mostly they stumble along and

>the government does nothing by accident
... accident are legio and every day the country does not implode is a miracle I am grateful for.

Just get a .gov job and see what it looks like from the inside.

Not that guy, but he is though. He is seriously the most non entrenched, non globalist politician we have had since JFK.

Trump isn't perfect and is far from the be all end leader
but the establishment planned for him to lose
he was not supposed to win
which means they are not 100% in control
Trump is very much is a victory for the people, even if only symbolically

I'll agree with this chummer
Symbolically I'd call him a victory, however in practice and specifically with the potential and realized attacks on tech, with a cyberpunk mindset, calling him anything other than a symbolic victory seems to be a stretch

>the establishment isn't in control

lol

trump is a GOP puppet now, anyone who believes otherwise is a fool...the man is literally a talking head that is at the mercy of paul ryan and the republican party elite at all times

sounds about right
the fact is that a man who the establishment wanted to lose won the presidency
so there's definitely hope

yes they're trying to control him, and the odds are stacked high against him
but the fact remains he got into office against their wishes

they want you to believe you have less power then actually do, so end up doing nothing
you must stand up and challenge them
they bleed like any man
there are more of us, and we're better
plus we're fighting for a righteous cause so momentum is on our side

That OP image is way better than what I shat out.
Good job, whoever did that. Looks pretty.

I like the original /cyb/ image that we've had forever. I like the OP image as well. After I make my arcade sign I may make a /cyb/ one as well.

Aww thanks boss. Yours is good though! I did it in MS Paint, because I'm laaazy. (And though there's no proof it was actually me, we're all anonymous so it doesn't matter yey)
I like the idea of alternating, gives it a little more flair than the rest of the generals. I was gonna make a few more with some of those images that always get posted here. It'd also be cool to make some with people's projects that they post here.

As someone who hates everything trump has done and everyone he's put in power, I think it's possible to be schway and still like him. It all depends on your perspective, and the perspective that he's gonna break up the political oligarchies and megacorporations is one that I wish I could believe.

Variety, I like it.

The only thing would be that the "/cyb/" would have to be noticeable enough to spot in the catalog, yet not overbearing in the image.

I like the idea of switching the image up a bit

yeah the one thing about the other image is that it is noticeable. Hence us having two /cyb/ threads atm

Well that's easily fixed if we ctrl+f or read.

This one is getting cucked due to edgy bait in the other one

Just think of what Reagan did for punks, Trump is that times a thousand.

>GOP
>Not trying to literally kill Trump this very second
Trump is a mad dog that nobody wants in office, except the chaos worshippers maybe. At least we're going to have some interesting times.

?

>GOP wanting trump out of office
no shit

doesn't change the fact that in the interim he is still their lap dog

i agree with what you and said in sentiment though, he definitely fucks up the mainstream flow

terrible candidate though still

A terrible candidate for a good government, maybe. A terrible candidate in a bad goverment might double negative that shit.

>

oh my god
I love this

MS Paint is a versatile tool for the new millennium.

>people will get dumber
I don't think its people getting dumber thats the issue, and we could argue all day about what that means, i think its that people are becoming more apathetic. Almost every tech savvy person I know is completely fine with letting companies track their every move both online and irl. I understand that on some level ita inevitable, but its concerning that people are just becoming ok with it.

Willful ignorance is worse than the shitty education.

Strange Days

Aside from making nonsense in ms paint, and more in the vein of this anons question, I've just finished making these shitty looking breakout boards for testing a keyboard that I've been trying to map for a deck I'm making. I'd like it to be able to function as a remote terminal and locally as a regular keyboard.

My thought process lately is that I want to have made most of the equipment I use so I at least have a decent sense of what's in all the shit around me. The keyboard mentioned above is from an old word processor type thing from the late 1990s I found at a thrift store. Everything inside of it was salvageable, the screen's connector was standard 2.5mm pins and most of the ICs were in sockets. I've always had such a love-hate relationship with the modern age of embedded electronics, everything's getting better technologically, but more closed off and unreusable.

also pls no bully about my etching job, i was using a sharpie on some copper board i found in the trash a while ago//

fair enough.
I do feel the same way as that user, I just try not to fall into the whole 'everyone around me is so dumb and I alone see the truth' kinda thing. I feel like it's really more of people being placated rather than made stupid//

thinking of setting up some pirateboxes around my school.
Link for reference: piratebox.cc/
Also I work as a junior sys admin for SETI, also just got a job managing the school servers.
Sys admin life here I come!

What does being a junior sys for SETI entail?

so far it's been making scripts to check if sites are up and making MySQL backups. Also setting up things like logwatch. It's through workstudy at my school so it's not full time

Whats the name of the movie where the one pencil necked, moot looking guy has the police or FBI knocking on his door and he uses a magnet on all his equipment?
And if anyone has it, can you link the anime edit?

ah shit, i can picture that webm

Trip mining?

DJ something, the guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8

>moot looking guy
kek