The Linux kernel dudes refused to add AMD's HAL to the kernel because muh beautiful code

>the Linux kernel dudes refused to add AMD's HAL to the kernel because muh beautiful code

Why are Linux maintainers so autistic?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What benefit does this HAL bring?

From I understand it wasn't just that it was ugly code, it's that it fucked up all future updates to the kernel with AMDGPU.

So now it's both sides trying to point the finger when both sides are equally at fault.

The entire linux philosophy is flawed so you'd have to be autistic to keep sticking to it after so many failed attempts.

Works on my machine.

Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Basically an easy way for your computer to pick up on what hardware is being used.

It's actually a perfectly rational thing to do. Kernel devs have this policy so that there's one solution that everyone can understand. If they allowed everyone to make their own implementation of every little thing the kernel would be a fucking disgusting abomination.

github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries

the only autistic thing is to not just simply build it yourself with what you want in it

AMD is fucking garbage

That code is expected to be maintained for a long time and by a lot of people, you simply can't have badly written code.
the fact that you don't know about this means you should go back to daycare board

I know what it is, I was asking about AMDs thing specifically. Why not udev?

Isn't it already an abomination, or close to?

the whole hal story at the moment is that amd got its DC/HAL which provides hdmi audio in a bad management situation

they wanted to push to kernel with it after doing a RFC round in which they ignored comments and just kept going without complying with kernel no hal rule so now they have a working system that isnt compatible with the development decisions of the kernel community and need to redo it.

I want to lick Iori's asshole and when it gets sloppy I want to pound it like there's no tomorrow

They can still publish their kernel modules, just linux users will have to download it from the amd site and install it, it can't be bundled into the kernel itself

So aren't the AMD developers the autistic ones in this case? They knew the stance before they wrote it.

>NO IM RIGHT, YOURE WRONG
>REEEEEEE

They were warned almost a year in advance that if they tried to submit it with the HAL still in there, it would be rejected. AMD managers decided to try anyways because it was cheaper than rewriting the whole driver

>the Chevy engine dudes refused to use Ford's turbo inline 4 because muh beautiful Camaro

You have no idea how anything actually works.

At least AMDGPU is slowly improving, I'd like to finally ditch this 970 with a 480, the 480 refresh, or maybe even full retard with Vega.

The devs probably knew this would happen but the executives probably told them to do it anyway.

Nah, no one knows how Windows works. The spaghetti is so bad that it's a miracle it's still floating around.
>yfw Windows will eventually merge the Linux kernel into their shitty OS

its pretty much autistic because this has been going on for much longer and said they even made a RFC at which point they where already doing work just to get into the kernel and they kept up with ther own plan instead of going into dialog with the community.

create DC/HAL
ask how to integrate it
work on own HAL implementation to integrate it
get responses telling "your going the wrong way! stop and turn around"
ignore and walk the whole way
ask to be integrated
create shitstorm

and the main reason this is a real story anyways is that people ofcourse want audio support in the kernel(nobody says they dont want HDMI audio support) but now the outlook is somewhere in the 4.13 kernel window.

its weird and everybody knows its because bad communication+bad management and that mostly from amd's site

+++ the main problem for amd is that they want to use the same code for linux and windows as base for the drivers

if anybody wonders why it not "just werks"

>easy
No. Maybe for lazy devs - but no. HAL is something you make when you don't want to do a separate, working driver. So you make a HAL as a compatybility layer between architectures.

they did, you just have to check a box

WSL doesn't use linux

Oh look, it's another low quality anime thread.

goddamnit

from the catalog, the baby looks like huge tits

Having read up on this situation in the not-too-recent past, I have to say I agree with the Linux DRM maintainers for this one.

The only reason you say Linux is flawed is because you don't know what the development of Windows looks like.