/pcbg/ - PC Build General - Can't Decide on a Monitor edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/GnZmJV
corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-m65-fps-laser-gaming-mouse-gunmetal-black-ww-refurbished
amazon.com/Redragon-K552-N-KUMARA-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01LXD7TP9/
msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-6G-OC.html#hero-specification
displayport.org/faq/
pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag352ucg/
komplett.se/product/11144#!tab:extra
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does it ever get better than a 25% off coupon at Monoprice? How rare are 25% off coupons? (SPRUNG25)

So for watercooling, are PWM fans even remotely necessary? Can I get away with just getting a shit ton of the quietest, lowest power fans and just throwing them on a quad radiator?

Looking for good cheap keyboard & mouse. Any suggestions?

there are $10 Logitech mice and keyboards, they are "good enough" if you just need a mouse and keyboard

Anyone have a Dell U2515H monitor? Mine just arrived and it's great, but the colour calibration seems a bit off (too warm and yellow for my taste).

What is the best colour calibration for this monitor?

what is "cheap" to you? Give us a budget.

Well I don't necessarily have a budget per se for those, it's just that my whole life I've always had the cheapest keyboards & mice you could find and it never bothered me.

But perhaps Sup Forums knows better, and perhaps there are great things I don't know about.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GnZmJV

at what point does it become too much?

They don't. I fell for the mech keyboard meme and although it's got a nice feel it doesn't make a single difference in performance.

As for mice it depends what you're doing. If you like shooting games and you're shit at them, don't bother, if you're good at them and you care about maybe a percent or two extra accuracy, then google the competitive mouse by sensor list and buy what you think you need.

Otherwise get a nice combo for under 30 dollars because it just werks.

>Dual Furys instead of a 1080Ti

It's a placeholder for Vega.

25 bucks for a refurbished M65
corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-m65-fps-laser-gaming-mouse-gunmetal-black-ww-refurbished

and a chink switch keyboard for 30 bucks
amazon.com/Redragon-K552-N-KUMARA-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01LXD7TP9/

if you want to go cheaper, feel free to.

Twenty one fans? Yeah, that might be too much. That thing is going to sound like leaf blower.

I've used the cheap Logitech keyboards (like Logitech K120) for the longest time and they "just work". Default layout, no bells and whisltes except for a few media keys. Cheap to replace when you spill something on them. I know a few people who use their $10 keyboards after years still.

Only recently I got a more ergonomic Microsoft one.

Whats the difference between those fans and the Noctua NF A14 FLX - apart from the colour?

I picked up three A14's earlier in the week for my Ryzen build. Just waiting on the motherboard now. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Well the case fits 2x 560mm radiators, so the idea is to have push/pull going on both of those with the quietest fans I can get. But I'm not sure how additive the noise is.

I mean I could just get deltas and watch it fly off into the sunset too.

Quieter and they only have one speed.

I'd like to think I'm rather good at FPS but even then I don't think I care enough about buying an expensive mouse for gaming.

I think I'll just get some basic ones, and I think that's what I meant to ask. Are there basic ones people tend to prefer?

>a dedicated sniper button that lets you switch resolution for extremely accurate shots, and an adjustable weight system for a custom fit to the way you play.
>and a chink switch keyboard
I think I'll pass thanks.

Been using my 5€ mouse and my Advance keyboard which probably was like 15€ for a very long time now, but the mouse is dying, and although I like the keyboard it sometimes auto disconnect because the wire is damaged (same way earphones get messed up and you need to move the wires around to make them right).

I can't bring much to the table in terms of a new build or anything exciting.

What I have is a $1200 build from 2012 with upgrades to my case (an NZXT Phantom to the Be Quiet Silent Base 800), my GPU (a Radeon HD 7970 upgraded to a GTX 970), (8GB DDR3 upgraded to 16GB DDR3), and an i5 3570k upgraded to an i7 3770k.

I also added more SSDs and external hard drives but I'm pretty sure most anons upgrade that stuff often.

My cable management is shit-- I already know.

Looks pretty good to me.

I'd recommend having a portrait monitor though for reading Sup Forums and comics and shit.

>2560x1440 monitor
or
>1920x1080 triple monitor
I'm having a hard time choosing. My main problem, with the triple monitors, is that displayport makes the monitor price skyrocket. Should I just get HDMI and use displayport adapters?

Forgot to mention, I currently have a 1920x1080 monitor.

Ultrawide is starting to gain favor over triple monitor, but it's tough to find ultrawide IPS monitors

The far monitor on the right actually does this, it's the Asus PA238. I've tried it and it just doesn't fit my setup if I turn it since it blocks the TV (wasn't thinking about it when I mounted it). It's all good though I'm used to poorfag landscape mode from browsing for so long.

How do you attach three monitors to a pc? Can that be done with just one video card? And how do you have a different thing going on each of those monitors? It looks like three separate computers but I know it isn't. How is that accomplished?

Does anyone have this card?
msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-6G-OC.html#hero-specification

I'm sure 3GB is enough for 1080p but I want to play overwatch at 144fps; don't care if max settings or not, would this get it done paired with an i5-6600K?

Does anyone have benchmarks for this card or a similar model?

>he's only ever known one monitor

Wait until you hear about indoor plumbing, that'll really knock your socks off.

But seriously you just plug it in and it works on most systems.

most cards come with 3 outputs, some come with more.

Is that alan wake?
10/10 taste, my man.

I can get this monitor for $94 USD

It's 1080p and has displayport. 21.5 inches.

Good enough to go with my 1050 Ti, right?

>is that displayport makes the monitor price skyrocket
How ? HDMI is a more expensive port than DisplayPort.

>HP
Eh, that's a good price for 1080p regardless.

Go talk about babby's first casual fps over there

>How ? HDMI is a more expensive port than DisplayPort.
my mistake, I was looking at the wrong stuff

Yeah connecting 3+ monitors is easy. The 970 that I own has 3 display ports and a dvi. You can convert display port to anything so it's good for dp>dvi or dp>hdmi if you need those, but the audio doesn't come with dp>hdmi.

just want to know if it can get it done I'm currently running on an RX460 + Pentium G4600, but now have the option to upgrade and want to make sure i'm set for when I get a nice monitor

After looking at used monitors on craigslist for awhile I decided to just get a new one.

Got a BenQ xl2411. Pretty entry level I know. How'd I do? 144hz seems nice so far.

I have never used more than one monitor per pc at one time. I never realized until now that I could use more than one port on the card at one time.

OK, so I might get myself another VG248QE. I've seen what looks like two totally separate desktops. How is that done? Also, I've seen video games that display across both screens for en extra wide effect. How is that done? And can both of these things be done at the same time on the same rig?

Sorry to hit you with so many questions. Could I play Far Cry on one monitor while browsing the web on another monitor? With one keyboard and mouse? How does that work exactly?

>I have never used more than one monitor per pc at one time

The absolute barbarism

You can spread your multiple monitor resolution between monitors with your display driver.

It doesn't matter if it's AMD or Nvidia, you can have multiple screens register at a higher resolution. For example, two 1080p screens become one for a game. However, the border between both screens will be a distracting factor or even be in the way.

3 monitors is better but you need the horsepower of your PC to push those displays. If not it may not work well. And let's be honest here-- for a second.

Multiple monitor gaming is a meme for the most part. It's a lot like 3D gaming.

I have seen people use three portrait displays and game and it looks great. Unfortunately until they design monitors with virtually no bezel it is pointless really, at least in my opinion.

I've been thinking about setting up a tv screen above my monitors but I'm worried that having to look up all the time will end up uncomfy.

how did it work out for you?

Thank you so much for that.

Well for me I had this setup when I had a super comfy recliner chair as my PC chair. If you have a normalfag pc chair that's pretty uncomfortable and hard, or it doesn't recline/swivel it will probably suck.

I also had this similar setup in a studio apartment but my bed was across from it, this made it really comfy for the ladies. Got laid a lot with that setup but it's really particular to your situation. Pic related, my kitchen was right next to the PC setup and the bathroom was down the hall. The PC was right in front of the bed.

ACHCHUALY DisplayPort does carry audio.
displayport.org/faq/

>I've seen what looks like two totally separate desktops. How is that done?
This is the default setup. It's called "extended desktop," and it does just that: Extends your desktop to another monitor. With this you choose one monitor to be your primary monitor, which is where your fullscreen applications (games, etc.) will start up.

>Also, I've seen video games that display across both screens for en extra wide effect. How is that done? And can both of these things be done at the same time on the same rig?
Can be done in a few different ways. The answer to the second question is both yes and no.
One way to achieve this, and probably the most common, is via a feature in your graphics driver. On Nvidia it's called Surround, whereas on AMD it's called Eyefinity. Both will configure your computer to register the monitors you choose as one, e.g. 3 1080p monitors will be seen as one 5760x1080 monitor by your OS and applications.

Another way to achieve this is with a piece of software called SoftTH. You install it as a directx hook for each game you want to use it on, which allows your games to run on all available monitors even if you have them set up as extended desktop in Windows, essentially doing the same as Eyefinity/Surround but on an application specific basis. This doesn't work with newer versions of DirectX, however. If I recall correctly, experimental support for DX11 is still in the works.

A third, and nowadays unnecessary, way to do it is with a Matrox Triplehead box. They were used back when graphics cards only supported 1 or 2 monitors, but they're no longer needed.

>Could I play Far Cry on one monitor while browsing the web on another monitor? With one keyboard and mouse? How does that work exactly?
Yes. It works exactly as you would expect it to.

>ACHCHUALY DisplayPort does carry audio.
Good go know actually, thanks user.
I typically use earphones so I don't notice.

RGB.

Also be sure that your gpu is set for RGB. Nvidia has a nasty habit of reverting to poor colors after an update.

read: The multi display idea is a meme. Don't fall for it.

hey, tech-incompetent user here & 1st time posting on /g

>purpose of PC
video games

>budget
800$/800€

>outside the USA
Scandinavia

>compenent list:
1TB Driver - "WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0"
120GB SSD - "Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB"
Graphics card - "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"
Keyboard - "Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard"
Mouse - "SteelSeries Sensei"
Monitor - "Fujitsu SL23T-1 LED"
Monitor 2 (never used for games, only videos, music, and browsing internet) - "LG W2252TE-PF"
Processor - "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz" (shows up as 4 of them in decide manager)
Case - "NZXT H440"

What should I replace? Monitor 2, mouse, and keyboard are quite old but they haven't died so I'm still using them.

I'm mostly playing Blizzard games, RTS games, and Conan Exiles(which looks insane) so I don't think I'll need a new graphics card, but sometimes I get freezes in Conan Exiles and I experience screen tearing quite often in Overwatch. I've been thinking about getting a screen with 144Hz instead of 60, but I don't know if that'll eliminate the issue about the screen tearing or not. Anyone computer smart who could give some advice?

That is literally my rig. It's a mini-ITX.

Runs anything I throw at it smooth usually around 100fps+

I have the 3G Gigabyte windforce.

If you aren't fussed about comparing epeens with hopeless virgins like this fella then it's a solid build.

Worth mentioning that monitor 1 has a vague purple tint instead of just grey, which is annoying mostly whenever I start the computer but after a few minutes it turns into grey. I don't know if the screen does this because of cold room temperature (it's around 0 celsius/~33farenheit when I wake up) or because my eyes aren't adjusted to it.

>(shows up as 4 of them in decide manager)

Well, obviously, because the i5 are quad-core processors.
i7 shows 8 processors because it also has 4 cores + 4 memecores.

waiting for 2017 oleds so the 2016 series become cheaper

anyone here on a large (40"") tv? how is it?

Hey y'all.

Thinking about doing an upgrade.

Current PC:
> FX 8350 @ 4.5 GHz (DDR3-1866+)
Upgrade:
> 7700K (DDR4-3000)

I do mostly workstation stuff but a little bit of gaming as well. Is it worth it for me to upgrade to the 7700k?

no

How cucked am I going to be pairing an RX480 with a stock i5 2500? I already get cpu bottlenecked super hard in BF1 but most games seem to run at 60-70%.

Get an 3570 (best i5) or 3770 (best i7) to cap your socket.

Shitty response times, colours are non-accurate.
You're better off getting yourself a monitor.

that pic looks pretty comfy if its 4k

ill get me one of those when theyre cheap enough

Repost from the monitor thread

Just preordered the AOC Agon AG352UCG based on the PCmonitors review pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag352ucg/ which goes through everything.

>3440*1440
>no IPS glow
>no backlight bleed
>100Hz
>G-sync
>300€ less than comparable monitors

The gaymen aesthetic is laughable but won't be a problem since I'll have it against a wall.
I can't wait for it to bring my GTX970 to its knees while I wait from the non-founders 1080 TIs.

don't do this

either get a skylake or stay on 2500k

waiting for a mini itx AM4, then ill have everything.

AMD 1700.
Zotac 1070 mini
32gb ram
FLEX ATX PSU.
24" 1440p 144hz monitor.

and the components are going to be built inside the monitor. so ill have a sexy AIO machine capable of pwning noobs at high fps.

>Skylake
>When Kaby Lake is same price and clocks higher
>When Ryzen 7 1700 exists

>babby lake
>wincuck 10

Does R7 support win7?

is there a single scenario that could play out over the span over the next 5 years which would justify 64gb of ram?

No.
DISCLAIMER: Not "supporting" Windows 7 doesn't mean it cannot be installed.

If you're asking "can Windows 7 run on it, fully utilizing its power" - yes. Maybe some energy saving features won't work.

Maybe. I don't know, 16 GB for "muh games" is the new recommended capacity. It may quadruple over the next few years, but it all depends on the consoles, really.

For gaming? No.
For process intensive tasks? Maybe.

>oled
>colours not accurate
wot?

as for response times, LG updated firmware and the C model (curved) is 34ms at 4K@60Hz 4:4:4. not sure about the B model (flat) but that model has older chipset than C so would avoid it based on that alone

>16 GB for "muh games" is the new recommended capacity
really? sounds like
>hey why bother with writing a paging system or even load/ unload a single thing if we can just load the whole game into ram
sounds like laziness and hack programming by unity fags

There are scenarios right now that justify over 1TB of RAM. It all depends on what you intend to do with it.

Just snagged an Acer 1440p 27in 144hz g sync monitor for 545. Refurbished but so far, minor Blb and no dead pixels. Only thing is that it will randomly black screen after like 10 mins. However when I hooked up my second monitor, it stopped doing this. Should I be worried?

Corsair CX550M, 550W PSU

Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake

Cooler Master Hyper TX3i CPU Cooler

ASUS Prime Z270-P, Socket-1151

Crucial DDR4 2400MHz 8GB

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL

And an SSD.

Is this worth 1300 american dollars? I dont want to risk breaking anything so i am considering buying this prebuilt. komplett.se/product/11144#!tab:extra

devs don't care anymore to optimize their shit.

Back then, hardware severely bottlenecked software. Devs had to really optimize their shit to be able to run on the few MBs of RAM

Today, hardware is so hilariously ahead that software isn't needed to be optimized anymore. Now it's the software bottlenecking the hardware

Have any of you bought a completly new computer? What did you do with your old one? My current is 7 years old so i am gonna replace it but i dont know what i should do with it

I know but that breeds a whole generation of no-skill hacks. we can only lose from that.

Actually microsoft are threatening to push out an update that disables windows update on non-supported CPUs:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

is there a single reason not buy this badboy? I mean it has 3 (!!) fans. how metal is that

Which dual monitor setup would you recommend?
Uses - day trading
Sup Forums
programming
some light gaming
video editing etc.
Nothing too fancy.

That depends, how fond are you of your house being not on fire?

>Dual Vega instead of a 1080ti

Well, we'll see what happens. I would very much like to NOT give Nvidia money because they're anti-competitive assholes. But if Vega flops it flops.

I mean 2 Vega's will out perform a 1080ti but you might be better off going for a single card

I have fans/setup in the picture here currently in my 460x case. Thinking of adding another fan in purple. Or would that hurt the temps since the D15S cooler air from front fan be sucked above before it hits the the cpu cooler?

Same fan setup as me, works fine. Fans as a whole only knock like 2 degrees off after one in, one out.

Thanks, that 1-2 degrees still helps on load to me.

> it has 3 (!!) fans. how metal is that
They are plastic.

R7 1700 or 1700X?
What is even the significant difference here?

That won't hurt the temps but it won't improve them either

What if that's an intake?

1700 all the way, the 1700x and 1800x are just slightly higher binned with higher tdp, but are like 100$ more, and even then they scam you on the cpu cooler.
Lisa su why do you break my heart.

If I have no interest in overclocking or messing around with RAM frequencies is i5 7500 + rx 480 4GB enough for gaming at 1080p 60 fps?

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a decent nitrogen cooling system?

I can google I was just wondering if anything was recommended.

they can still be metal.

g4560 + gtx 1050ti is enough for gaming at 1080p 60fps

Bought i7 7700k with an Asus z270e

How'd I do?

Anyone here has Dell UP2516d? How bad is build quality?
I need a new monitor and I really want Adobe RGB but can't afford new 27" while used U2711 seems not reliable enough in the long term.

underated

This probably isn't the right spot for this. I just did a big upgrade. New cooling, motherboard, ram, case. I love it, it's incredible, so happy I went for it.

My question is about overclocking though. It's going to take me forever to find the optimal overclock if I do it the way I used to back in the c2d days. Change voltage or clock, boot, stress, and it might not crash for 7 hours. I did a quick and dirty overclock with my 6600k.
[email protected] peaking realistic load at 68c. Is there realistically anything else to gain here? I really need every bit of perf per core that I can get my primary game shows great scaling from it.

Next I have samsung b-die 3600 cl16 diims. Someone on the review said he got them to 3750@14-14-14-30 1.55v. Is a 150mhz and a 2cl reduction a signifficant increase?