/spg/ - Smartphone General - Still waiting for the S8 edition

/SPG/ -SmartPhone General Discussion Thread Anonymous 03/19/17(Sun)01:29:16 No.59470348▶ If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
HiSilicon Kirin 960: A Closer Look at Performance and Power anandtech.com/show/11088/hisilicon-kirin-960-performance-and-power

Spreadtrum SC9861G-IA: An Intel Atom Octocore Smartphone SoC on 14nm with anandtech.com/show/11196/mwc-2017-spreadtrum-launches-8core-intel-airmontbased-soc-with-cat-7-lte-for-smartphones

MWC 2017: AGM Preparing IP68 Rated Snapdragon 835 Smartphone with 8GB DRAM anandtech.com/show/11192/agm-preps-ip68rated-stylish-smartphone-snapdragon-835-8-gb-dram-256-gb-nand

Xiaomi Launches the Redmi 4A in India for ₹5,999 ($92); Teases Redmi 4 and Redmi 4 Prime xda-developers.com/xiaomi-launches-the-redmi-4a-in-india-for-₹5999-92-teases-redmi-4-and-redmi-4-prime/LG G6 review

LG G6 review
gsmarena.com/lg_g6-review-1590.php
phonearena.com/reviews/LG-G6-Review_id4323

TechNigga destroys the HTC U Ultra
youtube.com/watch?v=Nq2Kum-eG8g

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d usdPrice.110,f_min_d antutuBenchmark.25000,f_min_dr value.2048,f_min_ds value.16384,f_min_d batteryMah.3000,f_doba slug.android,f_min_dobr value.13
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Smartphone with best camera under 255$?

Quick, Moto G5 Plus vs Nokia 6

>Just bought this today at T-Mobile, it's my third one in a week because the previous 2 I've had had defects (One has massive light leakage, the other had a crack out of the box)
>Open it up, hoping finally to get a good one
>Everything looks good, time to strap the fucker in a case
>THERE'S A FUCKING TINY ASS CHIP IN THE ANTENNA PLASTIC IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE
>I'm too beta to go and return the phone a third time

I'm just going to deal with it, it is bothering the hell out of my though. "Quality Control" my ass.

>actually buying an apple device

you are what you eat.

Return it and get a proper smartphone this time

My Galaxy S5 took a digger and the screen glass is cracked but still 100% functional. Looking at upgrading.

Expandable storage is a must, good battery is appreciated, NFC would be nice but I imagine that's pretty much standard by now.

Price isn't a huge issue, I've got a fairly cushy budget. Shill me /spg/.

(You) here, rooting it is also appreciated. Also I want it to actually run apps without chugging like a motherfucker.

dropped my Note 3 today. Phone works, screen won't turn on. Is it worth repairing it(was told that screen replacement would be 30 pounds(+the screen price im assuming) or should I not risk it and get another one instead?

/spg/, I'm in the market for a new phone. I'd like some advice. Here's what I'm looking for :
>300€ tops
>5.5inches screen, maybe more but 5.5 really is my favorite
>1080p screen
>stock or close-to stock android

Design wise, I don't like bezels on the side, the smaller they are the better. I also prefer the more squared off phones, don't like rounded very much. Flat back is a must, no curved back like the ASUS Zenfone. Physical button are a plus.

From what I've read here, it's a toss up between the Honor 5X and the Lenovo P2, but I'm always looking for other options.

Is the rom support on the Honor 8 any good? How difficult is it to root / unlock bootloader?

root / bootloader is easy. rom support is pretty terrible.

which phone has the best rom support?

I can't speak for all phones, but if you're willing to go for small screen the Zuk Z2 has ROMS for:

>ResurrectionRemix
>official Mokee Nougat 7.1.1
>Dirty Unicorns
>MIUI8
>darkness redefined
>Pac ROM
>Stock Nougat

Oneplus 3T

I'd say the P2 is your best option

Some advice, please
I'm stuck with Verizon and can't seem to get any of the good recommended chink stuff. I'm also trying to upgrade.

Stuff I like in order of importance
>Great camera (at least better than pic related)
>Good battery life
>5.2" screen max
>Square aesthetics

From their current line up, I'm considering between the HTC10, Pixel, Moto Z Play, and kinda-sorta the Priv.

The issue is that they're relatively pricey (I got my current Lumia Icon brand new for a cent off Amazon 2 years ago) and I'm not quite ready to drop $400+ on something that's not worthwhile, you know? I'd like the HP Elite X3, Zuk Z2 or Honor 8, maybe Sony X5 but they're not VZ compatible.

>Also, what's the deal with all these fuckhueg phones? Nearly everything VZ offers is phablet

honor 8

>not VZ compatible.

Unless there's some way to get the phone to have full access to Verizon's network, it's not happening

i don't know how the carriers in the US work, sorry, the phone just matched the ticks

Yeah, that's the part that sucks. In the US, Verizon and Spring have CDMA networks, and most intl releases are made with GSM in mind. And then even if the frequency bands work, VZ has some thing where they can block service for an "unapproved" devices, or so I've read

anyone know when the nokia 5 is getting released?

Anybody not think a Xaoimi mi 6/mi 6 plus(pro?) will be a wise buy when it launches?

I have a Priv and would have highly recommended it like, a year ago, but with the KeyOne imminent, I would say you are better off going for the more current phone with Nougat unless you can get the Priv at an amazing price.

I think this phone gets a lot of undeserved flak. Blackberry's main issue is that they fucked up the software on release and the reviews that reflected that never got taken down or changed.

I'm not gunning for latest-release models, to be honest. On paper, the Priv looks fine, and since I'm mostly unfamiliar with Android, I'm not picky about the version.

How long have you had it, and how's life with it?

Apparently Moto G5 Plus is coming to Verizon early April, it's seems to be a good phone for the price.

I'm going to beijing (china) in 2 weeks and i want to buy a smartphone for maximum 200€.
Which one should i take?

Thanks man, all things considered the P2 is a good option. I'll order it

>Moto G5 Plus
seems like a deece phone but WTF is this marketing...

Eh, it's just buzz-wordy to get the normie buzzfeed crowd excited. Unfortunately for them, Apple has cornered that market well.

I've had it for almost a year now, since May 2016. Got it when the Marshmallow update was first released - my phone came with Lollipop but the first thing I did was update it.

Honestly life is pretty good with this phone, I have very few complaints. It does get a little hot under load, but then again so does any phone. I have had literally zero issues with lag, and the updates have been quick and well programmed. Screen is beautiful. Signal from WiFi and the cell network is always strong. Having an SD card slot is nice and the physical keyboard is honestly the best thing that has come to Android in a while.

I assume you want to buy a phone in a physical store? The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro and Redmi 3 Pro are good phones but as far as I know they are only sold online.

Buy any phone with a Snapdragon 625, 650, 652, 820 or 821 from a semi-known brand (Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Zuk, Huawei or Honor) and you'll be fine.
If it launches with a Snapdagon 835, yes.
Oneplus 3T
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Mi5

I miss when smartphones had a distinguishable visual identity instead of le rounded rectangle with on-screen buttons

Thanks.

Is there any way to change the primary Google/Gmail account on an Android phone, specifically the Pixel?

I can't find any answers online that don't require rooting.

>tfw HTC One M7 still has rom support
>4 years old and still going strong
It's a shame the battery and sound volume are so shit, this phone is litteraly perfect.

This is the endgame for all consumer products. You know how cars used to be vastly different from each other in the early twentieth century, but then all gravitated towards the standard 3-pedal layout with a key? This is like that.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration. I'm not a power user by any means, so I doubt it'll get bad with me.

How's the camera? Got a sample?

Yee I'm hoping the Mi 6 will launch with a metal back I despise ceramic/glass because it is sooo glossy

>tfw bought M7 on release day and it was, and still is, the most impressive mobile device I've ever owned
>Battery used to give over 5 hours of SoT with battery saver on and easily last a day and a half with light use
>Still easily gets through a full day of work if I stay on wifi and disable GPS
>Speakers are like heaven compared to even some $200+ bluetooth speakers
>Dropped literally dozens of times and the worst that happened is a dent or two in the chamfer edge
>Still has developer support and even newest versions of Sense can be backported even from the HTC10 and HTC U Ultra

The only reasons I had to replace it was because my camera was finally succumbing to the purple tint issue after lasting three and a half years without even the slightest tinge of purple in the darkest pictures yet now if you take a picture in a room that isn't well lit it just looks like a purple net was cast over the lens and I wanted something that could go days without charging so I got a Moto Z Play.

The HTC 10 was tempting because it looked like they were finally back to making beautiful phones after the M8 and M9 atrocities but I couldn't bring myself to drop over a grand on a phone.

tl;dr need help picking my first phone and other stuff
>be 32 years old
>have a comfortable job as a pharmacist
>last phone I had was a folding phone thing about 9 or so years ago
>got rid of it because never used it much
>so many games coming out from my favorite series and shit to phone only
>Steam wont stop reminding me that I should probably get a smartphone so I dont lose my account
>even MMOs are getting into this security smartphone thing
>so on and so fourth
So, buying a phone in full will not be a problem and holy hot fuck there are so many of them and what to do afterwards.
Do I need some kinda subscription or something to use it after buying?
Can I use my home wifi for movies/games?
Is buying online better than physical stores?
Also might like something with a decent camera

G5+. better camera.

The back camera screams "I'm retarded"

Long story short, phone fell in water, now the screen flickers, and the charger is off and on. Are there any good smaller screen phones in the mid range? I'm talking 5"

>Do I need some kinda subscription or something to use it after buying?
No, but it's nice to have so you can receive texts, make phone calls and if you choose to get data you can browse the internet while on the go too.

>Can I use my home wifi for movies/games?
Yep, mobile data is completely optional and most public places have free wifi at this point so if you haven't needed data yet you probably still don't and would be better served by just paying $5-10 a month for voice/text only

Is buying online better than physical stores?
If it's your first phone I would recommend at least going to a store to see them in person and figuring out which you would be most comfortable using but I personally prefer to order online even if I go to a store to look at the phone first.

If you don't really care about your phone and just want something that won't break easily and that you don't have to remember to charge every day get a Moto X Play or Z Play.

Assuming you're US:
You'll need to get a phone first: A lot of the recommended ones from Sup Forums lean towards Chinese brands, since they're competitive spec-wise but at lower prices. These phones are "unlocked" so they're meant for international release.

Now, you'll have to find a carrier to get service from. The carrier with the highest flexibility in allowing you to choose your phone seems to be AT&T. You'll have to pick a plan for how much data you'll use (that is, how much you can access the internet without WiFi) and nowadays, calls and texts are unlimited. I honestly get by 2GB/mo. shared. If you're on WiFi frequently, and don't stream music/videos while out and about, you won't need too much data.

All smartphones will have the option to connect to wifi, just like your computer, so that doesn't count towards your data usage for your plan. You can watch and browse all you want when you're connected to a wifi network.

I've always gotten my phones online. Shop around a bit, you can often find deals either from the manufacturer directly, or when you sign up with a carrier service, they might give you "discounts." There's no real advantage to going in stores. I'd be wary of used phones though. I've been burned twice on "Certified Refurb."

As listed in the masterpost, phonearena is pretty good for comparing specs and reviews.

Not really, everyone can still tell a BMW from a Mercedes, but few can tell a HTC and a Samsung apart at first glance.

Of course, we're talking about the average person here.

Ok then
The Redmi Note 3 pro hasn't SD card.
I have a 128 giga SD card and i want to use it .
Other suggestions ?

Sounds like you'd like a Pixel. HTC will abandon your phone software-wise and so will Motorola and Blackberry.

I wholeheartedly agree

And because I'm apparently illiterate: Country is US, carrier Verizon.

Anyone else here waiting in anticipation for K6000 Plus / K10000 Pro?

Oh, now it works fine. feels good and yet bad at the same time

Redmi Note 3 Pro does have a SD card slot

Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto Z Play Droid (or whatever the Verizon version is called)

Thoughts on the LG V20? I'm not sure I want to go with Memesung again and the Z Play seems a bit meh without buying the modulars.

>Nougat release promised by January for the M9
>Approaching April

Fucking Taiwanese kikes

guys, my kikePhone 4S died and I've been considering getting a Moto G4. Are there any significant differences between the G4 and the G4 Plus that warrant getting the Plus or it's just a meme?

Samshit is completely out of the question

Get it if you’re fine with it shitting thee bed in a year's time.

G4 is limited to 2/16GB memory. G4 Plus has 2/16 or 4/64, fingerprint scanner and a better camera.

That said, just wait for the G5.

fugg

guess I'll get a G5 then. Thanks m8

Do i cop the LG G6 next month?

>and Blackberry
proofs?

Sorry for the late response, here is a shot for what it's worth.

And another, this time oriented right.

The one downside, I just discovered, is the camera creates fuckhuge file sizes, so I barely have anything under the 4MB limit.

wow those are really nice shots from a phone camera

Huh, okay: those are pretty nice. I'm mainly worried since the one I have now also takes pretty decent pictures (pic related) and I'd loathe to give that up

Is Google fit a good app? What are the details of its botnet features?

What phone?
Canada freedom Mobile (wind). Under $500. Swapable battery. Wireless charging capable. Preferably more Linux/android type. Maybe SD card. Bigger size.

V20.

What do you guys think of the Doogee Shoot 1?

Will putting the camera on high performance mode make it take HDR shots quicker?

Where do I find out when the Pixel is back in stock other than obsessively checking the store page?

Zuk Edge looks good except for the stock android, but there are roms and google launcher out there.

My sister has one. Really nice camera for the price, but other than that it's nothing special.

Someone compared it to the Zuk Z2 a few threads ago iirc.

>wanting to buy samsung

Keep in mind the Priv cannot take photos under low light, it's garbage

can i please have /spg/ winter buying guide flowchart picture.
Is it still relevant?`
Any chink phone recccommendations from Aliexpress with a budget under 100€?

Yo spg! My kekphone 4 is on the verge of dying and I'm shifting to droid, any good recommendations? I heard that HTC "11" is coming out soon but HTC is almost nonexistent here in Duterteland, also, my budget is under $500.

I think apple is doing an event today.

Red iPhone 7. iPhone 7S. New iPad Pro.

I really want an iPad but I need it to be useful, not a glorified iPhone.

Does the Redmi 4 Prime support Quick Charge? I've been seeing contradictory information about this.

Any recomendations for a phone under $200?

OP3T

but the battery is shit user or it's just a meme?

> Europe
> Vodafone
> 200€
> Small screen under 5'
> Android
> Rootable
Advices?

What phone to buy at ali on March 28? I have a 5$ coupon.

>Small screen under 5'
Go back in time about 5 years

One Plus X port just bit the dust.
can anyone recommend an Android phone with:
-large *removable* battery (i want ~10hrs SoT)
-MicroSD card support
-durable, dont want to buy a new phone for the next couple years.
Thanks

>under 5'

There literally is no such phone. iPhone has a 4.7' screen but they're an outlier.

I would go with a Zuk Z2. It fulfills everything except it has a 5.0' display.

Opinions on the V20 as an upgrade? (currently own a Turbo)

Zuk Z2 Pro

Are round screen corners (like on the Mi Mix and LG G6) going to be the next big meme that every company is going to put on their flagship devices?

Pls be no.

Galaxy J7 2016, has removable battery and gets consistently over 12h SoT

Apparently the rounded corners make the screen less likely to crack when dropped, so it's not just for looks

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d usdPrice.110,f_min_d antutuBenchmark.25000,f_min_dr value.2048,f_min_ds value.16384,f_min_d batteryMah.3000,f_doba slug.android,f_min_dobr value.13

Is the Nexus 5 still a good phone? My dad needs a new one and he really dosent care about his speed of his phone

Kys germcuck

only downside i see is that its using the Exynos 7870 processor so custom ROMs dont have much support for it. Thanks :)

This was my galaxy phone power when I left it overnight. Why did it use so much power? I didn't even have Wi-Fi turned on and when I picked it up, the SIM card want detekted and I had to restart.

Buy him a Meizu m5.

I'm sure it's nothing just forget about it

Yes but battery life is shit.

Get him a Moto G5 or something.

Looks good. 367€ BTW