ITT: things that you learned with GNU/Linux

ITT: things that you learned with GNU/Linux

>separate data and system partitions
>patch the software myself/compile it from source myself if I need to
>command-line skills that extend to all UNIX-based systems
>no planned obsolescence, the OS won't start to become slow just to make me upgrade
>I can have a desktop environment that suits better my workflow

Other urls found in this thread:

stefansundin.github.io/altdrag/
youtube.com/watch?v=idJ1SmJ8yOY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Installing Gentoo

the real value in using windows is AD/SCCM/Office/the shift ton of training and first to market inertial M$ has in the above.

Even if google really defeats M$ it will be 20 years before corporate america notices.

also bash made me appreciate powershell

the most powerful aspect of open source is shaming people

Jews can fuck up anything (((systemd))).

I don't have enough time to troubleshoot my OS on a regular basis

That Windows is objectively superior in every way

When you develop a tool be clear about what it's purpose is and never go beyond it's purpose.

If you want to make a tool that combines multiple functionalities simple make a wrapper which calls other tools which do one thing but well.

Unix way is the way if you want maintainable code and ease of teaching/learning.

I learned to read properly.
Linux just werks if you achieve that.

For a tech site, there's sure a lot of retards around here.

I've been using live distros for a while and finally got around to installing recently but I don't understand the point of this

That I absolutely cannot live without the Super/Alt+Mouse combinations for window management.
This reason alone makes using Windows for extended periods of time a true suffering

There's always stefansundin.github.io/altdrag/

But I agree, it's indispensible, targeting a tiny titlebar to move a window or a 1-pixel wide border to resize a window is retarded.

The main thing I learned while working with GNU/Linux is that it's a meme and you should just use Windows instead of you want to get anything done.

This

If you ever fuck up your installation you can just wipe the partition and reinstall without losing all your files.
Seconding altdrag, it does an alright job.

I don't have to be spoon fed by the big corporations when installing my OS, and I can exactly use my OS to it's fullest capacity without anyone limiting what I can and can't do.

It fucking makes so much sense.

I completely do not understand why Microsoft is so resistant to porting the neat, cool and useful features from the Linux world.
It's not like any of this shit is patended (and they're perfectly aware of that) so there's no risk someone will ever sue them.

Shit like having the "unmount and eject" button next to the drive in the tree menu in FM
Tabs in file managers (literally every OS but windows has this)
"stay on top" and "stay on bottom" function for windows.

So you can install a different distro without wiping your data.

All of these so much! I will always buy Microsoft Windows™ because the future starts now™. Microsoft also pioneers innovative new technologies like DirectX™, Office™, and the highest quality operating system to ever grace computers.
When I boot up with a brand new computer running Microsoft Windows™ with the latest Z chipset powered by Intel™ and latest Nvidia™ graphics, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be played™. Microsoft™ also pioneers in the gaming field with its latest Xbox™ console to allow gamers to play on their big screens with family and friends.
Microsoft Windows™ is also very secure. It's the most secure operating system on the planet. It's harden against NSA probes, tested by highly trained and experienced programming engineers to have ever graced this planet. With such innovative security technologies like UAC, Defender, Security Essentials, BitLocker, and Windows™ Firewall you can ensure all your sensitive data is secured and you're safe on the internet. Microsoft™ most advanced, and dare say, the most advance web browser on the market, Edge™, has decoupled addon support, like flash, to ensure maximum user safety when browsing the web. You can ensure Microsoft™ keeps you safe from the NSA.
At this point in time there's really no reasons to consider Linux. I tried once. It caused my Nvidia™ graphics to overheat so much due to its poor quality, novice programmed, open source drivers that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house.

It's quite clear that OPs a Linux shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Windows™. Windows™ is the only real way to play games or do anything productive. We've seen that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Visual Studio and Microsoft C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Microsoft Windows™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad security and no drivers. The Future Starts Now™ with Microsoft Windows™

The point is, they are fine with changing the look of windows, but not the feel.

Their market supremacy is based around users using their stuff by default, if they start making too many changes to how the OS behaves users will start getting annoyed.

Usability changes are one of the most infuriating ones. I kinda get why they don't change stuff like that.

>ITT: things that you learned with GNU/Linux
that I hate linux

Just ignore them. They don't create these threads to bully GNU/Linux users or for posting anything of value; they create them to justify themselves.
They espect other tech illiterate sheeple to confirm that GNU/Linux is a waste of time, so they can feel secure in the crowd.
The daily anti-linux thread is the daily drug that makes that bad feel go away.

I have never bothered with that. I have heard others say that using separate partitions makes it easier to distro jump. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were better reasons for doing that. I always do a default install.

>patch the software myself/compile it from source myself if I need to
Never. Thank god for repos. Respect to those that read every line of code that is used on their computer (or have the ability to do so if they wanted to). The only code I would be tempted to compile/patch would be FFMPEG. But any thought of going down that path always ends with "Fuck that". And I find another way around my problem.

>command-line skills that extend to all UNIX-based systems
For me, it was the other way around. I learned CLI on a Unix box (school, work). Then I was introduced to RedHat Linux. Actually, I started with DOS. Then came Unix, then Linux.

>no planned obsolescence, the OS won't start to become slow just to make me upgrade
That depends on the maintainer. I have had a distro change system requirements on me. BUT, who cares. Because with Linux, there are always 5 other distros that will do what you need.

>I can have a desktop environment that suits better my workflow
"Ridiculous customization" sounds flashier.

>things that you learned with GNU/Linux
How to RTFM. Because no matter what distro you use (Ubuntu/Gentoo) there will come a time that you want to do something "simple" that isn't so simple.

I also learned way more than I wanted to about custom UEFI when I was attempting get a linux/win10 dual boot setup working.

>Fuck HP

Peoples opinion on Linux distributions have become an easy social filter for me.
Basically, if someone states he hates 'Linux', I can just disregard that person outright.

What if he hates GNU/Linux?

how important are command line skills? Does windows use UNIX based? I'm just wondering because if there is a problem you can just google it and find a post about what to put in a command line to fix your shit.

Then you know he's lying.

youtube.com/watch?v=idJ1SmJ8yOY

Recommended.

Depends on his reasoning.
I'm fine with 'tried it, wasn't for me'.

All installers default to at least two partitions: / and /home.

Checked.

Who told you that?

No gaems

Not to use it, as it's absolute shit in terms of its kernel and its kernel API

What?

In linux? You can survive just fine without them. Some things are easier with the command line but especially with a distro like Ubuntu, you dont *need* the cli.

Not sure what you're asking. Most of the time with linux I can just copy paste commands to install or fix things. It's not terrible.

They're as important as you want them to be.
There are distros that provide GUI's for pretty much anything you could need, if that's the route you want to take. You could also go literally full CLI if you develop your skills enough.

Don't take seriously the people who claim GUI is trash. Generally CLI will be faster if you happen to know the exact things you need to type in. It really just depends on what you're doing, though. I'm constantly downloading and listening to music to add to my personal collection, and I can tell you with certainty that the way I manage it is easier with a file manager than it is a text box.

No, they don't.

Most default to /boot, swap, and /. Some distros offer a separate /home partition, while stating (for advanced users).

>things that you learned with GNU/Linux
I learned that the less GNU the better. Not saying that GNU or the FSF shouldn't had ever existed. But now they hurt more than help

This is how it is now with microservices

In the end, GNU/Linux has only taught me how to hate. Hate certain paradigms, hate certain operating systems, hate certain people, hate certain organizations, I have become an autistic software radical that will not tolerate anything less than fully FLOSS.

>FLOSS

That you get what you pay for.

>That I don't like my DE crashing due to shitty driver support and X being an older than dirt, obsolete piece of shit.
>That I don't like it when various things stop working or the system even failing to boot after applying an update.
>That unless some rich company invests the time and money to make a polished Linux-based desktop OS, Linux will always suck as a desktop OS. There is a reason Apple didn't just take FreeBSD and add off the shelf open-source desktop software to it, they took Unix and built their own DE and programs for it.

>Super/Alt+Mouse combinations for window management.
This along with several other things like middle click paste and scrolling chromium tabs to switch.

dozens of things are easier accomplished by smashing tilda (~) to drop down a terminal and typing a command e. g. ~ cd /home/user/Videos/youtube-dl youtube-dl youtube.com/paste-link

>needing more games than Doom and C&C

>GNU/Linux
Linux

yeah fuck that, you can't sarcasm your way to productivity.

The single biggest thing holding Linux back is OpenOffice now LibreOffice. It's not good enough until it is a drop in replacement for excel and word. I think google figured this out pretty quick when they moved to release docs/sheets/slides.

I hate botnet. I hate driver bs. I hate arbitrary restrictions on what I can do with my PC.

But if the USA won't adopt the metric system because it costs too much to retrain a workforce why does libreoffice think, without compelling reason, they can lure people away from word/excel that lured people away from lotus 123/worstar which lured people away from fucking typewriters and paper ledgers. At least office365 and docs/sheets have a compelling work anywhere selling point as the CIA rapes your data.

>and yes I installed gentoo, I got less done and reverted

Linux has games now.

We got the best downloaders, fuck using shitty REACTIVE web interfaces just get a piece of software to download the file and be done with it.mpv ''

The word replacement is fine but excel is like the emacs of windows. Entire businesses workflows are built around spaghetti excel scripts.

and VBA
and 20 years of accumulated processing of CSVs, access databases, MS SQL databases, sharepoint.
fixing other people's pivot tables is an employable skill if you know how to market it

C&C? Play Starcraft you casual nigger

that it's a steaming pile of shit as a desktop os

>i don't need cracked softwarefrom shady sites
>updating doesn't necessary mean reboot
>compiling is fun
>freedom of choice is awesome
>NTFS sucks
>Gaming isn't limited to Win
>ALSA is a bitch to setup, but once you did it, horey shet
>the majority of Linux users are kind, but then there's Arch users. Even worse unironic GNUfags.
>follow simple instructions with user interaction involved (aka not c/p)

>time for all that shit
>having any kind of employment to even have a "workflow"

Pick'thyst one.

I learned that with Windows 95.

Linux is obsolete out of the box.

>compiling is fun
Nice joke
Everybody laughs