It's been a while since your last backup

It's been a while since your last backup.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bup/bup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Actually it is, thank OP.

Backups?

But what if my backup drive fails?

I've literally never backed up shit. I'm only concerned with files that would cost me money if they got lost.

that pic... what is that?

the Save icon

fuck you are right

zip disquette, before Bluerays where a thing

I've only done a couple series since my last local and they're well seeded.

Every file worth backing up is less than 100MB.

I backed up a week ago, and nothing worthwhile has changed since then.

Which file system should I be using? ZFS? It feels kinda pointless to keep backup if I use ext4 since the data could become corrupted and then rsync would just overwrite my backup with the corrupt version of the files.

Also, thoughts on this?
github.com/bup/bup

>not having a backup of your backups

You restore from your second backup drive. You have a second drive for backup, don't you?

>ZFS

Only if you have 32 GB of RAM. Use XFS instead.

>not having at least 4 physical backups and 2 backups on the internet

And? I don't feel like wasting space on:
1. Stuff that can be redownloaded and reconfigured to my liking within a day of a clean OS reinstall
2. Fucked up systems of organizing my files that I eventually move on from
3. Things I can find stored elsewhere

I back up stuff that I make myself and don't put up anywhere, but most of that is stored in cloud storage exclusively since the files are so small. Everything else is a waste of time and space.

What are the chances that both a primary system and its backup would fail at the same time?

I would be more weary now than ever about relying on other people to keep things available. For example, you used to be able to rely on the Wayback Machine for retrieving files from old websites. Now half of it has been wiped out by domain squatters and their restrictive robots.txt files. Torrents die all the time, because there is friction between seeding the files in their distributed form (often packed in archives) and integrating them with your own storage conventions. And of course, Mega and even iTunes will probably be shut down while you're still using them.

Thanks for the reminder. All I'd lose at this point would be some recent media.

>tfw no backups, save for that few shit on MEGA

I regularly burn my stuff onto BD-Rs.

I'm backing up stuff right now, I'm doing one full back up, one important files and media (games,music, comics) and then several redundant important documents back ups on USB sticks.

Fair point. I do have some stuff(mostly just a music collection too big to effectively store in cloud storage) that was pretty hard to obtain and downloaded partially from nearly-dead torrents, but I do make an exception for that and keep it on a removable HDD. Everything else is the kind of stuff that's pretty easily obtainable using package managers/Ninite and is at nearly zero risk of vanishing with neither significant warning nor any way of obtaining a copy to keep permanently.

i know this feel. is it viable to keep your mission critical shit on a flash drive as a backup?

>tfw you have nothing you don't care about losing on your desktop
>tfw the stuff you cared about is stored to a 12TB NFS volume
>tfw the NFS volume is incrementally backed up to an LTO tape robot
>tfw the worst you can lose is one day worth of animu downloads

>What are the chances that both a primary system and its backup would fail at the same time?

too high user

last backup was earlier today

A microtape.

>What are the chances that both a primary system and its backup would fail at the same time?
Very unlikely, unless they're both taken out at once by the same external cause (fire, flood, power surge, nuclear explosion). Main thing is to check them fairly frequently, so you'll know to start replacing them before the other goes.

Joke's on you; I backed up yesterday.

I actually keep most of my stuff, except for large applications, on a flash drive as that is what's most convenient for me, I back it up to HDD about once a month, and copy to another flash drive (which is normally sealed in a locked container) once every few months. Only thing of any real significance I keep on my hard drive is some large, popular applications and a few ISOs for messing around in VirtualBox - anything that I'm not confident in being able to find online a few years from now goes on the flash drive and gets archived.

WHo got?

>don't back anything up
>pray every day that it all fails

save me from this technological nightmare

Get on my level

Latest backup was 10 minutes ago

Its only been 29minutes. Fuck off
>plebs don't use time machine with automatic hourly backups
>plebs don't use the best OS on the market
>plebs stay pleb and complain about being pleb

>backing up gook moving drawings
>important
>12TB

dude, you can download most of that shit any day if you have internet, not to mention that you store shit you watch once and never again in your whole fucking life. You would be just fine streaming that crap.

My clients (2 desktops & 2 portables) are backed up daily via Windows Home Server 2011. I use Macrium reflect v6 to backup the server plus the drive containing the client backups. That backup is stored on a 8tb nas and 3tb external drive. The nas and external drive stay shutdown till the time I run a server backup. Server backups vary, sometimes, months or weeks go by, all depends on how much or what type of new files get added to the server's data drives.

My stuff is a nightmare. I never learned how you're supposed to actually organize things.

8 track tape

i remember my folks buying this thinking it would revolutionize the future

>nuclear explosion
Also have to worry about the EMP pulse from such a blast.

I don't have any.
>not living on the edge

Are there any success stories where companies actually manage to restore their systems from backups? Every once in awhile, I would read something like a company losing their things but their backups were useless because of some weird reason or another.

You won't read about backups restoring important corporate/institute data, because it's not interesting. However, one recent thing I read was about some school having ransomware installed on their servers. They fixed it will their off-site backups.

Well I've never made one, so yeah.

VHS tape, remember to rewind when you're done with it

not really no.

Nope, 4am this morning

>Yadda yadda last backup
Never.
Live on the Edge or lose all your data trying

should get that tattooed somewhere