codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/ (embed)
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/ (embed)

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS (embed)
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE (embed)

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/user/pen/peamrv
jsfiddle.net/yjd2rqhy/
pypi.python.org/pypi/django-letsencrypt
codepen.io/yeasayer/pen/QpmpJV
pastebin.com/wU3Dugvf
firebase.google.com/docs/auth/web/manage-users
encrypted.google.com/search?q=php check if post request
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what is your go to project for learning the new flavor of the month framework?

a blog

For my eurofriends out there, just wanna bring to your attention two dev bootcamps that I think are worth considering. One is LeWagon, which runs in a bunch of european capitals (London Paris Lisbon Brussels etc), it's 9 or 12 weeks for 4k euros.
The other one is Coder's Lab in Poland (many different cities), 6 full weeks of coding for 2k euros, pretty cheap imo. You can choose front-end or back-end.

I haven't done any, but I'm considering doing one or the other, I think they're pretty cheap compared to most US-based bootcamps. Anybody have any experiences with either of these? I see great reviews about LeWagon everywhere, which makes me think they're either fucking awesome or shilling hard-mode.

Thoughts, opinions, memes?

I need to make a short test for a front end developer. Our front end utilizes Angular2 - I was thinking of implementing 95% of the front end of a todo application and having the applicant just finish the model + view (list already being done, end point, backend, etc).

Shouldnt take more than an hour at most - does anyone else have any ideas for this? It is pretty difficulty to interview for these positions.

My main concern is that TODO application is done everywhere so copy/paste from those will likely happen.

This will at least give us something to talk about during the interview.

Also, can we talk about online courses and MOOC's and all that stuff? Looking for recomendations...

I'm currently doing CS50x on edx.org, which is the Harvard intro to comp sci. The course is amazing, I have to say. Really gets to the fundamentals of things, not like codecademy and others like it.

We start off with a few weeks of C and then we jump to Python, and there's gonna be some javascript in the end. But more than the languages themselves, you really learn about concepts and ideas. There's tons of exercises with guides, walkthroughs, help forums etc, all free.

Any online courses to recommend?

A few years ago I learned stuff like Ruby, Rails Sinatra etc. along with some meme js (angular 1). In my new city I've had trouble finding work and everything here is asp.net

Do I get back into ruby or pick up c# + asp.net (I plan on picking up c# eventually anyways for non-work reasons).

Can someone drop a very quick and dirty comparison of rails 4/5 and asp.net? I need to pick up a more up to date framework.

>In my new city

job markets vary wildly from location to location. Here in the uk more than 70% of jobs are java/c#. All the new memes that silicon valley rages about are non-existent on this side of the Atlantic. So yeah, location is something to consider.

Guess I'll try picking up asp.net and maybe angular 2 or something. Do you know how well react pairs with asp vs angular? I prefer backend but react seems somewhat interesting and angular 1 left a shitty taste in my mouth.

I'm working on a massive product in {{enterprise}} environment and other bigger companies are leaning towards Angular2 + a backend (WebAPI for example for us). Node is gaining tracking. Java could even work for the backend.

Angular2 doesn't care what its talking to as long as its REST.

I still don't understand what coding bootcamps are.

basically you give a group some money and they teach you javascript over the period of a month or two - its less than community college and you walk away with nothing that matters on paper (no diploma as far as I know)

Im a beginner in js (not really I know the basics kinda) i wanna know what books or courses do you guys recomonned?
I only want to learn javascript for web mapping stuff (not a pajeet website buulder)
currently doing the jon duckett book and will move to eloquent js later and finally how to ve nina at js

do i guys think my plan is good?

ninja *

>learn html and css
>want to put it to use before i move on to Javascript
>cant think of anything to make

i guess thats it then

go to freecodecamp and do projects there

Just make a static website.

After that, you can start to make a Wordpress theme. Which will introduce you to basic php. If, else, arrays, include.

I just refactor the same CRUD app that I use once a year to perform inventory at work.

Thanks user, I'll look into asp.net + angular 2 then.

Yeah that's fine. I think the eloquent book (i just had a skim over it) is perfectly fine for a beginner too

Or just buy a udemy courses on sale for like 10-15 euros. If you have enough discipline and do some extra googling its much cheaper than a bootcamp

any good courses to recommend?

crud is like a todo app, right?

I'm learning js sort of I guess, and trying to use an audio player with a waveform and I'm wondering what obvious misstep I've taken here.

codepen.io/user/pen/peamrv

This is exactly the code on the devs documentation, but for some reason it's not loading.

create read update delete, basic database operations. A todo app is an example, yes, but there's thousands more.

Any reason to use anything other than port 80? What if I have 2 projects on a server? Should I be using different ports?

You could serve one on 8080, or have a nginx server on port 80 and proxy pass both of your servers.

I'm still writing my image board. You can either use no captcha or recaptcha.

Would it make sense to add an option for the spergs that uses some garbage tier captcha libary that works without Javascript but gets bypassed by machine learning patterns?

Not using recaptcha is literally using no captcha desu.

Just stick with reCAPCHA. No need to complicate things. Captchas will always be solved regardless.

I have an account on a service called deathbycaptcha so I can run scrapers for various web services and those captcha solving services have people that manually solve the captcha for you.

Does anybody know how can I export a database of a website hosted on Openshift?

How do you guys decide on background color and border for a website? I'm doing that first project at FCC and no matter what I try it looks like shit. I suppose the most I could do was find something and copy from it...

Just got a job to make an admin panel in laravel and import XML to a database then present it in the panel

I think I'm quitting webdev, this is the most boring and abhorrent thing I did ever

I wish there were as much C and Elixir jobs

>C
what about CE jobs, embedded systems stuff

I just started working on my first semi-serious website project. It's extremely basic.

Can anyone review my code and let me know what I can improve on? I'm just getting used to the differences with margins and padding.

Getting the top navigation bar to properly align at the very top was a pain in the ass. I hate how you need to literally do margin:0 for everything until you figure out which one it is.

jsfiddle.net/yjd2rqhy/

I understand CSS should be in a seperate file, but I was feeling lazy. I just wanted to get the website looking somewhat colorful.

lol.

Any recommended resources of wordpress for experienced programmers? Most resources imply a beginner, thus explain how webservers work, CSS, HTML, PHP, etc..

I'm looking for something that implies that you already have programming experience, just never went over to WP.

Having trouble with letsencrypt. I'm using Django with the standard Apache WSGI http server.

When I run letsencrypt certonly there's a failed authorization error. Seems it's unable to write to /.well-known but changing permissions doesn't do anything. If I go to the page that letsencrypt is trying to get a response from, I just get a standard 404 error.

those work but harder to get in my area / freelancing

Tried this package?
pypi.python.org/pypi/django-letsencrypt

what's your guys opinion on a two year aas degree for web development?

Waste of time and money. Just go through some Udemy web development courses if you're willing to pay the money. A lot of them have you doing a lot of projects and websites.

oh this is really important info. It's all online and the tuition is free(for me)

FUCK, webdev is overwhelming
I am gonna stop browsing shit right now and dive deep into.. React/Redux? Is that okay?

If you want to do a front end single page app, sure. Also look in to Vue.js.

I swear I hate it so much to program administrative interfaces. It's just boring and I always need to check the data so the retarded enduser can't fuck shit up.

I'm trying to do something weird in angularjs.

I need to do a get request on a URL that returns a redirect. Instead of following the redirect, I just want to fetch the URL that it's redirecting me to. Is this possible?

Google search Web design color theory, and or steal someone else's colors.

>being a .net M$ faggot

What's wrong with that?

C# is nice
MS is pretty neat when it comes to dev tools

How viable is learning to build websites using a java framework?

modern practices involve using java for the backend API only. build a RESTful web service and connect to that using a front end framework such as angular.

This solves permissions and the SSL certificates are generated but I can't access the site via https. Is there something I'm missing?

Are you running the server on port 443 (HTTPS)?

Just tried and strangely http still works and still https doesn't. Chromium is redirecting to https and won't serve http at all. Firefox can serve http but not https. Neither browsers have preference for https. Port 443 is open.

Apparently waitress which I'm using to serve doesn't natively support https so I need to use nginx as a reverse proxy.

pls respond

There should be a at the very top, to indicate HTML5.
It doesn't have a tag for mobile view.
If you want to add mobile styling look up css media queries.
Putting CSS in a file is not hard, and it is necessary with multiple pages with similar styles. Obviously on jsfiddle it goes in the box though.
Your form does not have an action. Even if you plan to use ajax, it's still good practice for (non-app) sites to work without js.

The reason it's not loading is because you are calling the script before the DOM is loaded, thus, when it looks for the waveform div, it doesn't find it because it doesn't exist at that time. The best way to avert this is to wrap your stuff and functions to a DOMContentLoaded event or something similar, like
$(document).ready(()=>{//yourcodehere
})
//or
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded',()=>
//your code here
)

Here's a lazy example example:
codepen.io/yeasayer/pen/QpmpJV

Anyone have an idea why this is happening? I set content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1" in the html and use media rules. I tested it all in responsive design mode and it looked fine, but it messes up when displayed on my phone.

here's how it looks in responsive design mode:

Any that have lots of reviews and good rating I personally used the Web Developer bootcamp one and Modern React Redux + Advanced Redux all are very good and if you don't have money you can pirate them even.

and here it is on my phone. I have normalize.css set also, otherwise it looks even worse on mobile. what do?

I don't have time to look at it but if you want help post link or code (jsfiddle, pastebin, whatever).

pastebin.com/wU3Dugvf

it's all react, I omitted all the functions and junk otherwise it would be too long. everything should be pretty obvious from the jsx though

anyone know what could be the reason only my POST requests aren't working on a PHP app hosted on Windows Server IIS? GET works fine. Permissions look fine. Connection to db is fine. It's giving me 404 status errors which is really weird because the files are there. I even removed the code real quick and echo'd some text to make sure. I open up my network debugger and as soon as the request is made it goes "pending" then fails.

sounds like it's dying at the db, db not allowing it to write?

do you have tracing enabled in your web.config?

What's the best way to store settings of users? Currently I'm putting everything in the usertable, but what if it becomes 30 or 40 settings or more? Is there some better way?

firebase

firebase.google.com/docs/auth/web/manage-users

there's no best way.
you can save it as json, have a table with a column for each setting or have a table with string/value columns with each setting being its own entry.

ok thanks i got it now

another question - not sure if i did this the most secure way...i have an "add new record" php file that inserts another row into a table...im calling it with AJAX, and it works properly now, thanks, but i noticed if you just go straight to the URL, a blank pages shows up but a new row actually still gets created. Is there any way to prevent that?

the form isnt supposed to be interactive. I just wanted to try the input tags.

Im still having trouble with the positioning like relative, absolute, etc.

Also padding and margins confuse me. As soon as i think it finally clicked, something goes batshit crazy and makes my layout look like shit.

check if it's actually a POST request with valid data.
where did you read up on doing it without that?

The best test and hardest I ever received was to create a slider like bootstrap v4s with html css and js, use es6.

The easiest I ever had was a todo list with angular2.

A good medium was a airport management system, add, edit, delete, push notice to other components, etc etc

how do i do that when theres no data im sending? its just a "add new record" script that calls a INSERT query

go read up on validation, you're a gaping security hole.

Relative = in the flow of the document.
Absolute = pulled out of the flow and plopped somewhere on the document.
Fixed = like absolute but fixed on the screen so it won't move when you scroll.
Padding = extra space on the inside of the element. Like on a link or button will make clickable area larger.
Margin = extra space outside of the element.

i know about form validation but theres no data im sending just tell me man. I tried googling but i dont even really know how to explain it. I'm not checking for any data that im sending. I just want to prevent the direct URL from running the script...i only want the button to add a new record be able to add a new record. What is this called?

check if it's a post request. if it isn't exit the script.

this didnt work...any idea why?

if (isset($_POST))
{
//do stuff
}
else
{
//throw 404
}

encrypted.google.com/search?q=php check if post request

ah fek i have to use $_SERVER, thanks

PHP7 is god tier. Really fast. Much improved. Thank you based zend engine.

To add to that, absolute positioning seems like a great idea at first until you account for multiple screen sizes and what not. Also, you can have an element with absolute positioning inside a relative element, where it's positioned absolutely based on the parent element.

Create a table called just for their settings and link the user via the foreign key.

I don't know what kind of language you use but you could request that monster as an object in PHP and cache that object after sign up. Than all settings can be loaded from the object. If the user updates something you should refresh the cache.

thanking zend devs after the atrocity that was php 6

so the moral of this story is that you have to use inline styles for react-modal.

anyone know how to simulate an accurate iphone web browser on your computer? Setting the correct pixel width x height in the responsive design viewer isn't enough it seems

Well /wdg/ I failed. I studied for a good while and some faggot decided to offer me a tech support position. I left my last tech support position because I hate that shit and it makes me hate myself (more than usual).

But it would've been illogical to turn down the money. Is there anyone else here with a full time job learning on their own? What are your study habits? Any advice for someone that might have to resort to just an hour or two of studying?

anybody do a bootcamp? looking into some now, seems like a great option.

Better check those realistic placement rates of the boot camp you want to go to. Would suck to drop 10k for some shit you could've studied on your own the whole time and end up with nothing to show for it.

It would be really nice if there were someone that made a study guide for everyone that would just liek to have the study structure / curriculum to know where to go next.

From my understanding of them they are for people that have the drive to go for 8 hours a day and if you're that type of person then you don't really need them in the first place, you just needed the structure.

Just my opinion.

I didn't and it took me way longer than the 10 weeks to do all the material and projects myself. Doing the camp would be like paying for motivation, I should have done it

should i learn node or laravel?

both have the same amount of jobs in my area but i think node would be more future proof. i have a cs degree

how many of u have been using react+redux? ive been studying it for the last few days, it's starting to click

bump

These. The biggest benefit of these camps are having structure and real life people who can help you. However, there's a lot of material that will be passed over in 8-16 weeks that employers will look for if you ever try finding a job. You're going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting during and after the fact (Or have a degree, a lot of people who went to a recent-ish bootcamp in town who still have jobs have experience/a degree in another white collar field.) to be employable.

Also, employers are starting to see a lot of bootcamps as cheap psuedo-degree mills, so they're being rather hesitant to hire people unless they have a kick-ass portfolio (Unlikely) or like I said before, have a degree.

Hey guys, need some SQL help.

I have four tables;

Suppliers(S#, SNAME, STATUS, CITY)
Parts(P#, PNAME, COLOR, WEIGHT, CITY)
Jobs(J#, JNAME, CITY)

and SPJ(S#, P#, J#, QTY) which is a table which represents shipments of parts from suppliers to jobs. S, P, and J are all foreign keys to their respective tables. I need a query that gets the name of projects with one or more red parts supplied to it. Any tips in the right direction?

How do I implement authentication without having the server store something in ram for the user's session?

Are cookies off-limits?

node.js for sure

any good css template website?

You mean something like this?

SELECT `SPJ`.`S_id`, `SPJ`.`P_id`, `SPJ`.`J_id` , `Parts`.`COLOR`
FROM SPJ
INNER JOIN `Parts` ON `Parts`.`P_id` = `SPJ`.`P_id`
WHERE `Parts`.`COLOR` = 'Red'

Skeleton and Bulma are pretty decent if you want a framework

Something like:

SELECT
Jobs.JNAME