Give me ONE (1) reason not to buy a chromebook, wipe chromeOS, install linux and use it as my main laptop

give me ONE (1) reason not to buy a chromebook, wipe chromeOS, install linux and use it as my main laptop

Your mom will stop going down to the hood every night to make money.

Affordable Chromebooks are either ARM or a very low spec x86 laptop. A decent Chromebook is pretty expensive considering the value of the hardware you get, and they lose their value fast anyways. They're already beat out by enterprise laptops.

But hey, at least it comes with Coreboot.

What do you do with your laptop?

99% spent on Browser? Yes.

Minor GIMP, video editing, basic programming/development, word processing? Sure

Anything beyond that? No

Just keep your install lean, everything will be alright.

For the price you're spending on a new low end laptop you could get a used high end one.

Yes let me just buy a used 5 lb chinkpad with 2 hours of battery life and a 1366x768 TN screen

do it

xD

crap cpu
crap storage
the only ones with good keyboards are by lenovo, who don't put out ones with decent screens

Poor specs. But if you're alright with that, go for it.

If you ever need processing power beyond that of a smartphone, don't do it. If you have something else you can use for that, go right on ahead.

They're actual shit.

You can make your own, you dumb nigger.

my chromebook here has a 500GB mSATA SSD, 8GB low latency DDR3, 2 usb, DP, ethernet, 3.5mm headphone/mic, and a 128GB microSD.

Works great for work and home usage, I develop electronics in kicad, use code anywhere, have designed basic graphics, and I have a windows VM with win7 and 6GB of RAM that runs without any noticeable lag.

I haven't played video games on it, mostly due to linux but its capped at dual 1.4GHz too. Plays video fine, typically 5+ hours of battery. I use it on a 2 hour train ride to work daily.

I would argue if you need processor beyond that of a chromebook you should use AWS.

I cant crack passwords fast on my chromebook, but 8 1080s on a aws server can.

My Chromebook is plenty fast for the kinds of things I would be doing when I'm not at my desktop

It was also $200 and the battery lasts 11 hours, 10/10 would recommend

How much did it cost?

Do they even have video acceleration on the non-intel models?

The chromebook was $80, my first was $35 but I bought another as the battery on the first was cycled alot by my usage.

SSD and RAM cost more, about $150 for ssd $50 for RAM $40 for microSD

xe550c22; must trip write protect jumper to build SeaBIOS.

op here, you'll all raised some good points. allow me to present my reservations about going full chromebook.

>storage
jesus fucking christ it's tiny. i like to torrent shit, so this would be a problem
>non-upgradeable
the above wouldn't be a problem if the hard drive wasn't soldered to the mobo
>locked down
this is a case-by-case thing, but you have to flash new firmware, or unlock some physical write protection to install linux, and you STILL have to look at the OS verification screen at boot

the good
>light
god damn these shits are small
>build quality
my brother's acer chromebook has one of the best trackpads i've ever used
>battery life
also one of the things dissuading me from getting a used laptop, i NEED a fresh battery that can last a day

buy a seedbox, you can put a 1TB ssd if youre not a retard that buys one with embedded memory.

>locked down
did you really just..

please use a different device you cant chroot with us.

no new models supports upgradeable ssd besides the business only Dell Chromebook 13

>get a used one

the main draw of these is the battery life, why would i get a used battery

I paid 159€ for my Chromebook and it's the perfect device for shitposting from the bed

If you are alright with the limitations, I don't see any reason not to desu
The Toshiba 2 is really nice as shitposting and SSH machine, though it cannot run Linux on bare metal.

Most Chromebooks have flush SD cart slots so you can just leave one in for more storage

ive bought lightly cycled chromebooks that people lolnowindows'd and threw in a closet for around ~85

the entry cost is its beauty. I have chromebook parts all over the place from working in a repair shop. the other techs laughed while mumbling "muh games"

do your research
you cant fully install linux of your choice on all of them, you can only sideload

>good keyboard
>lenovo
no u

you can actually install gentoo and arch(?) on ARM

A refurbished desktop is cheaper, more powerful, and laptops are deprecated in the age of android smartphones.
>next question

What about battery life?

Shitposting from one now, fairly comfy, and good as an EDC machine

It's what I use for most things, other than some gaming which I do on another PC. Its honestly far better than any other laptop on the market. You dont need good specs for anything really, or at least most people, unless you are gaming.

My only complaint would be the storage size, however on many models you can upgrade them so its not really a big issue. While your at it upgrade the ram and you've got a laptop as good as any other really.

I'm on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 right now and it's quite bad even for browsing but if you want a COMFY laptop that is completely silent (ARM) and watch movies in bed then go for it

also installing Linux and finding the right kernel with support for all the parts was quite hard, only one I've gotten to work is 4.4.0-66-generic

any older kernel keyboard doesn't work and any newer kernel soundcard won't work, it was a fucking pain until I found out what it was causing it

Except that phones still can't do EVERYTHING a PC can, and laptops are portable PCs. Yeah, they're not great for something that needs a lot of power, like, say, PC gaming, but, still.

>laptops are deprecated in the age of android smartphones
Full retard/10

>chromeOS
>install Linux
Redundant.

>celery cpu
>soldered 2GB ram
>16GB emmc storage

You know what he means.

Depends on the Chromebook, some have mSATA SSDs and standard socketed memory.

Buy a used Thinkpad for a fraction of the price, and twice the build quality.

for all the wailing & gnashing of teeth over apple having closed systems with everything soldered to the board, an oddly large number of Sup Forums posters seem perfectly happy to jump into the arms of google, whose chromebooks are just as bad in that regard

>Depends on the Chromebook, some have mSATA SSDs and standard socketed memory.

yeah and those ones sell for as much as a real-ass laptop

Hey, that's the specs of the Chromebook I'm shitposting to you now from! It's actually quite nice tbqh tho.

12 hour battery life, shockingly fluid web browsing and video streaming for a celeron, all in all pretty happy with my purchase.

I own both a Chromebook and a thinkpad, if you use more than just a web browser the thinkpad wins hands down, but if you mostly just use the web the battery life is great, and the price is pretty great too.

Of course, you could also just not be cheap skate and buy a new Thinkpad T560 and get a like 18 hour battery life.

Nah, mine was free and can be had for

Buying a Chromebook that isn't cheap is pretty much missing the point of even buying a Chromebook.

No shit

So you say, and yet the 'premium' ones do in fact sell and sell well.

I never said people were smart.

Their spyware is embedded in the hardware.

source oŕ gtfo

Unlike...basically all modern x86 and ARM hardware?

>some have mSATA SSDs and standard socketed memory.

yes, for $699

Being able to acquire a laptop for less than the MSRP doesn't somehow negate the arguments for price being an issue.

"Man, the Surface Studio costs way too much for its parts!"

"Nuh uh, my dad works for Microsoft so I can get a discount which negates the price premium!"

$0 was the MSRP, everyone who has this laptop either got it for free or bought it from someone who did

That doesn't mean that the MSRP was 0. It means that you acquired it for 0. There is a difference between the standard price of object, and the price or lack thereof you get it for because of association or similar.

>implying you need a beefy CPU

Literally everyone acquired it for $0. I understand that it's not really an MSRP since it was never really sold, my point is that getting it for free wasn't unique, everyone who got it also got it for free.

But it was unique. I wasn't given the chance to acquire this laptop. Just being gifted something is not at all relevant when trying to make an argument for how useful something is unless you state that from the get go.

If the question was "What's to stop me from installing another Linux distro on my freely acquired Chromebook and enjoying it?" then you'd get nothing but autistic answers. But if the question is give me one reason not to buy a chromebook, the relevant price is the MSRP, and the average used sell price.

Acquiring it for free isn't buying a Chromebook, and so when someone argues against the idea that Chromebooks can be both cheap and have quality screens, storage, RAM etc by stating that you got yours for free, it doesn't change the fact that for 99.9% of the population, that's irrelevant.

Still doesn't change the goddamned fact that it can be had for less than $100 online, you fucking pedant.

Go to ebay. Show me a Chromebook with an mSATA SSD and socket memory for under 100$.

Model?

So there aren't any functional ones up at the moment but when they are, they're under $100.

No, they're not user. The cost of the components would turn that into a real shit loss. Your argument was that it didn't matter because it was free which was wrong, and now it's you can get them for under 100$ which is also wrong.

It's not pedantry to call you out for being wrong by all accounts, and there's nothing wrong with being wrong. You just make better arguments.

>No, they're not user
Yes, they fucking are.
>Your argument was that it didn't matter because it was free which was wrong
That was never my argument. My argument was that it was never a $600 laptop, which is 100% accurate. It was never sold at all; free.
>and now it's you can get them for under 100$
That's not some new argument, I've been saying that since I brought them up. Stop twisting my words, you piece of shit.

Come on, you're better than this. You're going to turn this into some childish "Nuh uh, uh huh!" argument? You made a claim, you can't back it up. You have no proof. Useless.

Your argument only applies for you, not for everyone else. Therefore, also useless. If the idea that you could get basically top tier chromebooks for 100$ wasn't a new idea, you wouldn't have opened up with the weaker argument of "I got mine for free"

Your words have not been twisted. They've been remembered and reapplied. Just stay consistent. Don't let an error you've made on an imageboard harm your ego this much.

user, we seem to have a misunderstanding. I never said you could go and get the laptop for free today. I said when it came out it wasn't sold, everyone got it for free. I then continued to say that they can be had for under $100 used, which is what they fucking sell for online. This doesn't apply to me, it applies to literally everyone.

You are one of the most infuriatingly retarded people I've ever encountered.

I bought one for my parents. I haven't had to help them with anything for months. Great purchase

Well, let's go down this rabbit hole.

user criticizes Chromebooks for being low spec. Focus on the fact they have soldered ram, and eMMC storage.

user replies that some Chromebooks have mSATA SSDs and that the memory is socketed.

user explains that sure, those are things, but they're also very expensive. He sure as shit didn't mean for people who get them for free, he would mean the MSRP and used prices on sites like Ebay or similar.

Your retort is that you got it for free. This does not negate the user's argument. You getting something for free does not change the MSRP, nor is it useful in this argument as it only applies to you.

I reply to you with basically saying just that. Your retort with saying that the MSRP was 0$. You didn't understand what MSRP meant or the significance of it. I say that with You try to recover with saying that 'everyone' got it for free. Again, not important since that's clearly a limited number of people who are getting it through some sort of association that isn't just "anyone in the public". You say it isn't unique despite it clearly being so.

is where I explain how what your doing isn't relevant to the conversation because it only applies to yourself.

You claim that they can be had for under 100$ with the specs that mentioned being costly. You call me a pedant.

I tell you to show me the proof.

You say you have no proof.

At this point, you basically give up. Your only argument now is that you're right because you're right. You call me retarded because you can't argue.

Has anyone ever called you autistic before?

And that is now your newest argument. Again, I don't see why you either can't admit you're wrong or just stop replying because you know you're wrong.

As for being called autistic, all the time. It's almost exclusively people who are frustrated that they got themselves into a losing argument.

And here's where you fucked up. In I said I got it for free AND that it can be had for

You mentioning in the same breath only negates the part of my argument where I said you did one then the other. It does not negate the rest of my argument.

You are still wrong, and your only retort is to pick at an error in an inconsequential part of the argument. That is what I'd call pedantic.

So should OP get a chromebook?

In the same post I established I got my laptop for free I stated its second hand price. You're wrong and autistic, get over it.

I don't care what OP does as long is this retard stops trying to tell me I'm wrong.

>I'm wrong, but you're more wrong! So I win!
Fucking hell, are you 12?

Assuming what the user in says is true, yes.

Yes, and unlike you I can admit my flaw. I was wrong in saying that you first made the free argument, then the 100$ argument. You did in fact, make them at the same time. The first is meaningless, the first is wrong. You were unable to prove this miracle 100$ Chromebook with a non-eMMC SSD and socketed memory.

Being wrong isn't black and white. You can be more wrong than someone else. The part in where I was wrong wasn't essential to any of my argument, and can still be used. For an example of 12 year old logic, see in which user replies to the fact he couldn't prove himself right with the fact that he's right anyway.

To argue something despite being shown you can't prove it is childish.

Hold on, allow me to pedantic your way out of arguing. After saying the first is wrong, I follow again by saying the first is wrong when I clearly meant second.

You can pick on that to avoid the real argument.

>You did in fact, make them at the same time
Thank you for admitting you're a fucking retard.
>You were unable to prove this miracle 100$ Chromebook with a non-eMMC SSD and socketed memory.
I cannot control the frequency at which they show up on auction sites. There just happened to only be as is models for sale at the moment. When there are working models though, they're under $100. Eat a dick.

Holy fuck, this is the abyss Nietzche warned about staring into

Found one on Amazon. It's not

After having a back and forth conversation for the better part of the hour, remembering something incorrectly that didn't matter (aka, the order you stated these things) doesn't make one mentally retarded nor autistic. It makes us human.

And if your argument is that Chromebooks with the mentioned specs can be had for under 100$ is defeated because of the time of the year, then it's not really the correct argument, is it? It should be something like "Sometimes, Chromebooks like that can be had for under 100$" which I still don't think you can prove. That's just a feeling though, it's not evidence and I don't pretend to think otherwise.

Congratulations, for roughly 33% increase in price you've managed to still not find a Chromebook for under 100$ with both socketed ram and non eMMC memory.

Well, I have to go for an hour now guys. Believe it or not, arguing with people on Sup Forums is a part time job for me. Don't worry though, I'll be back around 12:30ish pm EST to go on with this. Love you all.

Full fucking fledged autism. I can't stand to deal with you anymore, consider this a win if you want (even though it fucking isn't)

Seek professional help, you need more of it than anyone can provide.

not the user you're arguing with.

I don't think I've ever seen an answer written in such a correct and explaining matter. here, have a GNU/dollar.

Your parents must be so proud

I can do this one in the elevator. You don't have evidence. It's only a win in the sense of I was right, you were wrong, but it's not like this was a competition.

Me arguing properly isn't autism. Getting angry, sperrging out with personal insults related to intelligence because I've been proven wrong on the *internet*, well...

That's not autism either. It's just sad.

Mostly.

I use Photoshop with wine on Chromebook.

Fuck off intel fags.. you need fucking 99 cores to shitpost here or play your pedo vidia.

My initial point was that it's far from a $600 laptop, which was still entirely accurate. You're the one that went full autismo on the price being very close but not good enough. 23% of $600 still isn't too shabby, even when the initial claim was

One reason: You would not be able to use your chromebook, since Linux is just a kernel, which is useless by itself. You need a complete operating system.

We both know that "Linux" is a colloquialism for operating systems based on the Linux kernel.

because linux is trash

I did exactly this with a Thinkpad 13 CB, but I dual boot Chrome and GalliumOS

No reason, some cheaper toshiba models with i think 4gb ram (under 250 CAD last time I checked) even have respectable 1080p Panels, lit shit.

That sounds good, but then you recall that it still in fact around a third more than you claimed, and you were only able to provide one example on Amazon of one Chromebook from one third party seller.

Your claim was inaccurate, and that's all there really is to say on the matter. You could have simply adjusted your number and we'd call this a done argument. You decided to stick by it for the sake of not wanting to admit fault though. You try to make yourself fill better about it by spewing a deluge of insults towards me, but I don't even get why you'd let something like this get you mad.

This is the internet. You're anonymous. You aren't losing face. There is no cost associated with being wrong.

I have no issue with being wrong, my problem is being called wrong when I'm not. Go eat a dick.

You are wrong though. What part don't you understand? Was it the part where you claimed they can be acquired for under 100$ and they can't? Or was it the part where I had you go to prove it yourself, and you were unable to?

Again, here you go fixating on the price that wasn't even my goddamned point. My point was that it was far from $600. I was right. What makes you think $75-130 wouldn't be a normal price for a 5 year old Chromebook? Fuck off.

I got a ridiculous deal on a Samsung Chromebook Plus and I like it. It has the play store integrated so its basically a fancy tablet. Wouldn't recommend for everyone, but its a nice device to tote around.

Your point wasn't that though. Your point was "I got mine for free, and they can be had for under 100$". First is irrelevant, second is untrue.

You again found only one example of a laptop meeting the spec requirements without meeting the price one. You were wrong. It's simple.

>ridiculous deal on a Samsung Chromebook

What was the deal