東亞/東亜/동아/East Asia

Taiwan Edition

Invited:
中華 China (大陆 Mainland, 臺灣 Taiwan, 香港 Hong Kong, 澳門 Macao)
日本 Japan
한국/조선 Korea
Moнгoл yлc Mongolia
Anyone interested in East Asia

FAQ

What are some good resources for learning East Asian languages?

Japanese:
See the Japanese thread: Korean:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4tlyqp2JE
howtostudykorean.com/unit0/
talktomeinkorean.com/curriculum/
mykoreancoach.com/korean-listening-training/
dongsa.net/

Mandarin:
learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/pronunciation/
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

Other Languages:
Ask in the thread. Even if it’s obscure, someone will probably have some suggestions.

Isn't Sup Forums blocked in Mainland China?
No, likely because so few Chinese come to Sup Forums, Sup Forums itself isn't blocked. However, because Google services are throttled and the captcha is owned by Google, in order to post, Chinese posters must use a Sup Forums pass to bypass the captcha, as it never loads. Chinese IPs are also blocked from posting on Sup Forums without a pass.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Taiwan Edition

Tsai Ing-wen was kind of cute when she was young.

I am learning Korean and everything is fine until pronunciation. I swear, it so frustrating, I'm going to murder someone over those consonants

我覺得中文比較英語是更多重要。

台灣的俄羅斯留學生

>동아시아 thread
>not a single 동아시아 flag

top kek

We must destroy Taiwan.

你什么时候回国的?

Hey Ching Cheng Chang Ping Wong ......
I look forward to this
Rush!

Modern warring states
china would be pretty dank. Too bad it will never happen

Are those in the west China really Muslims? Their flag looks Muslim to me

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang

Muslim majority, but lots of pressure against Islam by PRC and non-Muslims.

>even more of North Korea

triggered

gonna save up until 2018 and then go to taipei for one year at a language school and hopefullz find a wife

안녕 친구

Hahahahaha I'm gonna read a lot about this now

The thought of Muslim Chinese people is so funny, I don't know why, I always thought they were non-religious, or into some Asian religion

안녕 brasileiro, como vai? (I hope I didn't butcher it)

no, you didnt :3
vou bem, obrigado

Whew, my Portuguese is a little rusty, I used to play online games a lot and made some friends from Brasil who thought me some words and little grammar, good people. But that was almost 10 years ago, good times...

Anyway, do you speak Korean? I need some advice on pronunciation

i dont speak it yet, but im learning... 중급 레벨 right now. What are your doubts?

>중급 레벨 right now
Ooo, very nice, I am getting there as well.

>What are your doubts?

Everything is going smoothly, grammar, sentence structure, even those speech levels, but pronunciation... I got over the fact that they completely lack V, Z, F and some other sounds, I got over the L/R and K/G and P/B, but I just can't wrap my head around double consonants and aspirated consonants. Pronouncing or listening, I just don't differentiate them AT ALL. Sometimes I will catch aspirated ones when listening, but that's it. I see no difference there

>pic related

Just add aspirated ones to that pic and that is the whole problem I have. It is so frustrating that I thought of dropping the language altogether

Will you learn simplified of traditional characters?

>they completely lack V, Z, F
Yeah, they change V for ㅂ (as in 트리 오브 세이비어 - tree of savior, a korean game), Z for ㅈ (as in 제로 - zero), and F for ㅍ or ㅂ (as in 오브 like previously stated, or 팬 - fan).
>aspirated consonants
You mean like ㅋ, ㅌ? There is no difference, kek. But the thing is, the koreans know that there is barely any difference between, lets say, ㄲ and ㅋ, so they barely have any words that can only be distinguished by this letters (for example: 토끼 and 토키, the only difference is in the aspirated consonant). So most of the times you're gonna know which word they're saying, even if it has an aspirated consonant, because you've heard that word before and you know which letter it takes (if someone says 'ddaddeuthan' for example, you're gonna know he is talking about 따뜻한 (something warm), because there is no such word as "타틋한"). Now in the few occasions you hear a word that exists with both double consonants and aspirated consonants, you're gonna need to take the context into account. Let's say you heard someone say "tokki". Is he talking about cute animals, maybe? Then he probably said 토끼 (rabbit). Is he talking about the action of 'talking' itself, or something related? Then he probably said 토키 (koreanization of 'talk').

So basically, you are saying I should focus on context and not on sounds. That is an interesting strategy and is much easier to learn the words than sounds.

Wait, so in everyday speech, there is little difference between ㅋ, ㄲ and regular giyeok? (don't have Korean keyboard) If so, does it stand for other double/aspirated consonants? Those Koreans are tricky, I'll give them that

>wait, so in everyday speech, there is little difference between ㅋ, ㄲ and regular giyeok?
ㅋ and ㄲ sound the same (K), but ㄱ sounds like G. Dont forget the sounds of the consonants change when they're at the end of a syllable though. When ㄱ is at the end of a syllable (as in 꼭, for example), it sounds like a K.
>If so, does it stand for other double/aspirated consonants?
Yes, for all of them.

Thanks for aswering

>ㅋ and ㄲ sound the same (K), but ㄱ sounds like G.

Following that logic, do ㅌ and double digeut always sound like T, but single digeut sounds more like D? If so, does that go for ㅍ and ㅂ as well?

Yes. ㄷ = d, ㄸ and ㅌ= t; ㅂ=b, ㅃ and ㅍ= p; etc.

This summer, I'll try to learn korean.
Do you have any advices?

Start with their alphabet, Hangul
After that, take baby steps learning both grammar and vocabulary
Every day, after you are done with things above, take some time to listen native speakers. YouTube has many videos with translation.
As you go, slowly start working on pronunciation, at your own pace

I WANT A KORREEEAAAAAAA BOYFIRIEENDDDD

Of
East
Asian
Dystopias

>modern commified Korea

Hahaha

It's not majority muslim.

That's a big building

For you

(I'm samefagging)

I went up this tower in 2003. A long time ago now. You can see NK at night. Why? Because suddenly no lights.

Thanks

Off topic, I'm the dubs king

If you guys ever find yourselves in Zurich, climb this tower.

It provides the most beautiful view in the world IMO.

In 2013 for me.

mandarin and shanghai dialect Chinese are mutually understandable?
how can they understand each other when tones are different?

No. You are the caliph of Portugal.

Most Chinese languages are similar.

They also utilize standard mandarin when interacting between different groups. Everyone knows it.

Also, Chinese and China = a civilization.

Not a nation state like Japan.

There is no "China" language.

上个星期回国了

They're not mutually intelligible, although some words sound a little bit similar in terms of pronunciation. People in China who speak different dialects just use Mandarin to communicate.

How many people in Shanghai still speak Wu?
Wouldn't it be easier to use English instead of Mandarin? Everyone has to learn it anyway. And why doesn't the country just split up, if the regions are so different?

>How many people in Shanghai still speak Wu?
I often heard older people speaking it to each other, younger people I've met were all able to speak it, although I've read articles about some young people in the past not being able to speak it due to discouragement of speaking dialects, but such discouragement apparently has lessened in severity in recent times. Even on public buses, announcements are made in Shanghainese.

>Wouldn't it be easier to use English instead of Mandarin?
Not really due to English's pronunciation and grammar being so different, and English has no link to Chinese culture. Mandarin grammar is also used for standard Chinese writing.

>And why doesn't the country just split up, if the regions are so different?
The Party would never allow that in modern China. Historically, China hasn't always been united (see the Three Kingdoms Period and Warring States Period, for example).

中華!

Going to apply for my visa tomorrow for China
It's the first time I've ever applied for a visa myself

I think I've filled it in all correctly and got everything I need, but I'm still bricking it.

I hope that they say "yea looks good" before they take the forms off me and don't just take the forms off me and say "we'll phone you in 3 days"

I want to learn mandarin but its so hard

I just got back from the chinese consulate in Chicago, I'm on the train shit posting on my phone. If the one in chicago is anything like the one in London, you're fucked. Those bitches won't tell you your visa form is wrong until you get home lol

It's not the London one but fuck

I'm going with friends, but everyone has filled in differently and the people that have already done it haven't had a response yet

Well the Chicago office dicked me over until I straight told them fuck china I'm vacationing in Taiwan. It was funnier in Chinese.

Good luck, why are you going? U a chink too? China sucks bro there are better asian countries to visit. Ur squad is making a mistake

Part of a study tour with my uni.
We're going to be studying Chinese for a few days, do our HSK, go to the Great Wall, do some Chinese cooking classes and stuff like that.