Challenge: Minimize W10 RAM usage

PART ONE OF THREE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks,

So I came up with a challenge that we can all contribute towards. Recently the act of minimizing Windows 10's RAM usage caught my attention and I've taken some steps to minimize the RAM usage on my system.

I challenge you all to contribute to this RAM-minimization process to see how low we can get it together. Currently, I benchmarked my RAM usage at about 970 MB with 300-400MB in cache.

Specs:
NVidia GTX960, Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz, boosted to 3.5, 8GB DDR3 RAM.

THIS CHALLENGE IS FOR 64-BIT SYSTEMS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>How is RAM usage measured for this challenge?
-Step 1: Reboot W10
-Step 2: Log in, immediatly start task manager, go to prestations tab, then to 'memory' (see the provided image)
-Step 3: Let your computer settle for 5 minutes (to let Windows finish off all it's routine checks, e.g. update checks etc.)
-Step 4: Write down the 'memory in use' and 'memory in cache' values.
-Step 5: post here.

>Rules for this challenge
-You may not comprimize Windows 10's security

-Having a virusscanner activated & running (NOT scanning) IS MANDATORY

-You may not disable as many features as possible from this virusscanner. It needs to actually adequately protect your pc

-You may not use some crappy uncreditable virusscanner

-You may not significantly reduce Windows 10's usability

-You may not significantly reduce Windows 10's performance

Other urls found in this thread:

blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/)
github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking)
linuxatemyram.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Linux, you fucking idiot.

PART TWO OF THREE

>A list of things I did, and I recommend you to do the same for the sakes of this challenge

-Deactivate as many unneeded services as possible (In order to do this, I among others used blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/)

-Deactivate Windows 10 Superfetch (really, it's not needed)

-Deactivate Windows (Compability) Telemetry (I did this with the use of DisableWinTracking: github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking)

-Use CCleaner to do the following:
*Deïnstall Windows 10 apps among which WinStore, Weather, News etc. (those apps that were introduced with Win8) I (obviously) kept Photo's and the Calculator. . In CCleaner this can be done by going to tools - uninstall.
*Run the registry cleaner in CCleaner. Do this a bunch of times in a row: as CCleaner removes registry values, other values might become visible for CCleaner to be removed during future scans.
*Go to Tools - Startup, disable as many startup tasks here.
*Go to the context menu tab, disable unneeded context menu items

-Disable as many startup applications as possible (applications that are unneeded and not vital. If not done through CCleaner yet).

-Install the most lightweight scanner available, provided that it does not break any of the above rules (so no DankLightweightScanner.exe, I'm quite sure that that isn't very creditable)

Fuck off child.

PART THREE OF THREE

>Things mainly done to boost performance
-Activate quick start in Win10

-Activate quick start in bios (if available)

-Open msconfig, go to startup, advanced options tick "amount of processors" and put it to maximum. Tick "maximummemory" and set it to maximum.

-Go to control panel - system and security - system - advanced settings - prestations: settings. Untick all unneeded visual effects here. Only things I kept enabled: Show contents during window drag, translucent selection box, show miniatures instead of pictograms, falling shadows for names of pictograms, soft edges around lettertypes.

>Sharing your results
-Share your RAM usage as described above
-Share your computer's specifications (minimum is GPU, CPU, amount of RAM and type)
-Describe the steps you have done in order to acheive yoru results

Good thread

bad post

what said. Fuck off. This is a challenge thread. If you do not wish to contribute anything usefull then leave.

delete this shit thread retard

You pathetic moron. You already use 600MB of memory. Why the fuck do you need more?

In current year 1GB to the OS is literally nothing.

+ Cache algorithm may depend on TOTAL ram.

Fuck this linux meme. They have destroyed linux with it. They want a 2MB footprint or their 128GB machines and that is why their OS looks like shit.

At least use KDE Plasma and develop it better you autistic linux shills.

I'm on 8.1 and no plans upgrading. Can I join too?

Because it's fun to do, that's why. I don't do things because I need to, I do things because I can and I find them intriguing.

But, as your brain is too incapable of comprehending something like that I'll pardon you for calling me a moron, moron.

The OS probably reserves more ram based on memory alone. I have 32 gigs and I have about 2 times your cache size now (my machine is pretty lean already because you can't get win10 to be that lean anyway).

>Challenge: Minimize W10 RAM usage
Step 1: Install linux

all I can say is: who the fuck is back viper?

Feel free to join in, even though your results will probably deviate from W10 results. The things you do in W8.1 can usually also be done in W10.

>your brain is too incapable of comprehending something like
You are a mentally deficient child. You don't go willy nilly autistically to reduce RAM. You eliminate unneeded processes.

He's a legend if it comes to enabling/disabling W10 components and services. He used to be a lot more known in previous Windows era's but he's been around for a very very long time.

He's been writing service guides since Win 98 or something. You don't know him because you weren't even born back then.

>Sharing your results
After all these optimizations, do you winfags still feel M$ dick in your ass?

Wouldn't be much of a challenge if it comes down to solely doing that, now would it?

Aside from that, the fact that you can't recognize a challenge being around just for fun and interest, then who is the autistic child?

my RAM numbers are totally obliterated by the Lenovo acpi and config services

if I switch them off, I lose battery life, auto brightness and even some touchpad functionality

so I am basically doomed in that matter

nice to know
I have been using Linux since 1998 or so, maybe that is the reason
I am currently on win10 so I will give it a go
thank you

I have 16GB of RAM and the only reason I use so much of it is because I run Windows in a virtual machine.

>Step 1: Install Linux
Linux uses as much RAM as possible.
linuxatemyram.com/

>2 tabs on Edge
>one is this
>the other is viper's website
tee hee

>+ Cache algorithm may depend on TOTAL ram.
This. So, to win your challenge a person should start up a system with 2 GB of RAM which is far, FAR more effective than your little tricks.

Fucking hell lol, why are you even using edge? I use Firefox and I already get a fuckload of hate for that xD

in a way, I think windows 10 takes almost half the RAM because fuck you

my gaming rig has 6GB and I get almost the same numbers

>-Having a virusscanner activated & running (NOT scanning) IS MANDATORY
lol why

Breaks the rule that the performance may not be significantly compromised. The benchmark happens after letting Windows settle for 5 minutes, but the performance should remain relatively uncomprimized also in the period after that.

So no, you are not allowed to do this :)

it is fast
it has adblock and tampermonkey

I guess all that RAM is consumed thanks to my rice scripts

can someone tell me how i can reduce windows 10 size

format to ext4

988 MB in use

662 MB cache

windows 8.1

I've read at quite some pages around the internet that you can download custom installers for Win10. prior to downloading those installers you can select what components you want in, and what components you want out. Should Google it :)

kill that folder

Your English is 'kk' terrible.
>prestations
>it's routing checks
>comprimize
>compability

We start English in groep 4 in Holland, go the fuck back to school.

shits only 13kb my man

ill check the components thing in control panel somewhere, id like to avoid reinstall

id rather avoid reinstalling

>shits only 13kb my man
it is used to download the big updates, and distribute them in your network
so sometimes it can get pretty hueg

Some simple typo's as I did not check the post for spelling errors prior to posting it. Aside from that it's my day off so I'm not going to be grammar-naziing myself.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

linax advertizers itt

i have that disabled, using edu version with all the botnet features turned off in group policy settings

is this how i rm my system? ill give it a go

only got like 1gb of shit here and i need those

HAHAHAHA
>256gb drive

>2017
>having a HDD
>hoarding anime

the joke is that windows is drunk

I use a HDD and it works just fine. From pressing the power button to logging in and having windows being usable takes about 30 seconds for me. Could be faster with a SSD, I know, but I honestly don't see the point in wasting a few hundred euros on something I don't really need that much.

Why do all this stupid shit when literally any other OS is better

for me its one of those things i cant live without after using it once, kinda like ips monitors for example
mind you i went from 5400rpm hard drive to m.2 ssd

>Literally any other OS is better
Yeah right... I find it amusing how people play along in this "one OS vs another" argument. Each OS has it's own strengths and weaknesses. You literally can't say OS a is better than b, just because. It always comes at a trade-off.

I disagree. Some OSes have more faults than others, and less benefits than others. Which generally makes them worse. The trade-off might be bigger for things you don't end up using or caring about.

Example: One of the big benefits about Windows 10 is DX12 support. While my GPU has DX12 support, I don't play games often enough and there's only -one- I bought that supports DX12, yet the difference is minimal at best. The tradeoff is, I have to keep myself from tampering with a few system files to correct problems the system has, because they will break anyways after a big update. That is not a good tradeoff. I didn't ask for that kind of shit, but I accept that I can just using their product instead of being a little bitch about it.

I have 900-1100mb usage on window 10 after restart. fuck restart, here pic current usage will all stuff normal running

>linax advertizers itt
"Advertising" something that's free and libre. Totally makes sense.

Delete it and install Linux

god this thread is cringe

i will do this, however, i need to keep windows for dual boot as the manufacturer may still release firmware updates for thunderbolt and they only provide a windows installer
im trying to get windows to be as small as possible as thats the only reason ill boot it up for

Yes you fucking retard, being free does not absolve something from ever being advertised.

Do you mean the size of a currently running install or the base install size?

NTLite can slim a Windows 10 ISO fucking HARD, but they went full jew and make you pay for the software to be able to remove half the content (they conveniently lock you trimming out most of the big stuff on the free)

okay, I'll play your game

ideally currently running install, but it seems there arent much gains to be made that way, so i might have to go with a base install, no idea where to start with that though but im not paying for shit and id rather not use 3rd party programs, doesnt microsoft offer something similar?

>running an antivirus in 2017
>not controlling what runs on your computer
>relying on shit software that slows everything down and reads all your network traffic

Damn, how did you manage to do that?

That's an easy game to play.

>1 tab in Chrome
>The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution.jpg

and interestingly enough, Edge loads that entire picture with only a few hundred MB RAM used, and it can zoom in/out and scroll smoothly.

Chrome shoots up to 2.3gb ram when opening it, falls back to few hundred mb after opening it, but any time you zoom in or scroll, it hangs for a minute.

Firefox opens it, but zooming in gives you garbage and then it just doesn't do anything more.

I hate windows 10 as much as the next guy, but this is actually an interesting thread. You retards are just ruining it for those of us who actually want to have fun.

I'm impressed
Is Edge actually a good browser?

>intel shills get paid
>microsoft shills get paid
>linux shills do it for FREE

Windows wont use want you refuse to give it. Why do people care about ram usage in 2017 anyway?

Yes but since IE has a bad name it will take a long time till people recognize how good it is.

ThinkPad P50
CPU: Xeon E3-1505M v5
16GB RAM
500GB M.2 SSD

why is this happening

Can we please clean Sup Forums of these retarded, smelly foreigners?