Other urls found in this thread:

status.discordapp.com/
prosody.im/doc
youtube.com/watch?v=iNIC7dtJZhE
youtube.com/watch?v=cn4CENr5NV0
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>botnet web app for gaymers

My friends are smart enough to use Teamspeak.

i dont have friends

>Teamspeak
pffthahahaha

This: status.discordapp.com/

I've seen enough consequences of tech startups just throwing even more cloud at issues.

self hosted xmpp and ts3 server is my excuse

You sound like you have many friends.

8 continous users seems alright to me

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Why is discord free? How does it make money?

I'm not an autistic basement dwelling gamer manchild

They have a premium service called Nitro where you pay for things like larger image uploads and animated user avatars etc.

I use Slack.

>Stop having friends you autistic basement dwelling gamer manchild! Don't you know you're supposed to be alone and miserable like me?! I bet you don't even rice your desktop!

"free" users pay for using discord, too

and it also sells your data

What do you use for xmpp server?

How does that work?

Prosody on Debian

You have any info on how to do it? Im curious but have little experience myself

If you're already using Windows, that honestly doesn't even matter.

Get yourself a cheap VPS with Debian on it and just
sudo apt-get install prosody
The configuration is handled via a single file called "prosody.cfg.lua" found usually at "/etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua"
As for the modules, you most likely want to have "MUC" enabled for Multi User Chatrooms and "carbons" for synchronizing messages between a single users devices.

You should also check
prosody.im/doc
The documentation is alright for a simple setup.

Because Mumble is better for our needs.

>Mumble
i'm sorry speak up pls xD

I see no problems and the servers were down for a single day since launch. I see that as a company who knows how to solve problems desu

Ty

why is this kind of advertising allowed on Sup Forums?

>Microsoft might be selling some of my data
>Better let 50 other companies sell it too !

They can feel free to sell my weeb ass info as mich as they want. Doesn't affect me

Microsoft IS selling your data, so why would you care if Discord does so too? I mean fuck, Sup Forums is selling your data, Hiroshima was in a previous scandal where he sold people's data, so that much is guaranteed.

I'm not a shill, I just want Sup Forums's opinion on the application, you paranoid android.

here we use viber

>I got robbed by someone
>I'll just let everyone else rob me too, it's okay since the first guy did it

>you got fucked once, so why would you care if you keep getting fucked?

>(((web app)))
>their "desktop client" is chrome in disguise
no thanks

My point is, you've already taken 50 dicks up your ass, so what's one more dick really?

IRC

>their "desktop client" is chrome in disguise
Is it really?

Discord is the logical end conclusion to IRC.

Your "point" is fucking retarded.

Yep. Press control+shift+I in Discord to bring up Chrome's dev console, type in navigator.appVersion, and get
"5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) discord/0.0.297 Chrome/53.0.2785.143 Discord/1.4.12 Safari/537.36"

Like fuck it is.

HEY THERE FELLOW NON-SHILL! IT SURE IS GREAT BEING PART OF THE COMMUNITY AND TOTALLY NOT SOMEONE BEING PAID TO ADVERTISE, AM I RIGHT???

>How does it make money?
It doesn't. They have a lot of investment money.
They'll eventually sell it for a lot of money to some chinese corporation, the investors and CEO cash out big and the users are fucked.

youtube.com/watch?v=iNIC7dtJZhE

lol all those butthurt discord fanboys downvoting the video
and not a single one provided an argument on how they will make it profitable to pay back all the VCs

I think he shouldn't have put that first argument there. Or at least not at first. Because so many get hung up on the whole "lol I can type out discordapp.com, it's not an issue".

What a shitty video.

You're delusional.

I still you IRC. I have no use for IRC with embedded jpgs.

I was referring to how they seem to expect that most people think that running servers and providing the service is free.
Otherwise I agree, it's a retarded argument.

>I have no use for IRC with embedded jpgs
That's because you don't have friends with whom you share funny images and videos with.

"use" you POS phone!

I use it with friends I play tf2 with. Despise seeing all the LE EPIN MEMES when it starts. It's good software though but one of those things that will go to shit when they try to monetize.

>tf2
People still play that? Overwatch is what all the cool kids play now.

>He uses Discord unironically
What's YOUR excuse, OP?

they play that too but I wont buy it

>being a phoneposter in the current year

>current year
>not exclusively phoneposting
shiggy diggy

>no video

I guess all your friends are ugly

Hope you're not using it to discuss anything contentious, racist, sexist or otherwise illegal.

>implying any of those things are illegal to discuss

>friends

You obviously don't live in Europe.

But I do.

Except that one guy (Microsoft) has the ability to share that data to other companies and the government. Discord most likely already have your info just from microsoft, its duplicated data.

strong argument

>america shares data with chinese

I think Mickey Mouse lost his pants....

You don't deserve an argument. I reserve my arguments for the worthy.

I have 2 people I'd consider friends that I speak to once or twice a week at most for less than 10 minutes, and I see them once or twice a month IRL for drinks to keep myself relatively normal. I honestly just prefer being alone.

You live a sad life.

>he has friends

What friends? I thought Sup Forums didn't have friends.

My friends and I use Wire. We don't use a gayming Skype ripoff to talk to each other.

It's a great life. I can make friends quite easily, and I do exercise/go outside, but it's usually on my own because it feels better that way. I don't know, maybe some of us are just meant to be alone, and it doesn't make me sad one bit.

>maybe some of us are just meant to be alone
No one is meant to be alone. Ever. We're social animals. You feeling this way just shows you're broken. You need help.

Maybe broken people are meant to be alone

I talk to myself a lot, I guess that keeps me "company". I just find myself far more interesting than anyone else, and love being around myself.

You suffer from trust issues and severe narcissism. You need help.

Needing help implies I'm not happy, but I am happy. Very happy. So why should I get help?

Ever heard the saying "if it's not broken don't fix it"?

>You suffer from trust issues
You work in web/social tech long enough and you will too.

You're not happy. You just think you are. Because you lack love.

I have no friends.

Why do so many people here not have any friends?

>friends
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I've experienced love. It caused me to destroy myself because of how obsessive I became of her, which in the end drove her away. Life is way better without her. I look back and cringe at what I was. People in love are pathetic, and I feel sorry for them.

We're all too old now. I wish me and my friends still played 1.6 and Desert Combat

Too intelligent to have friends.

>someone else owns Discord
>look up discord on any search engine
>no results for discord.com
this guy's already fucked up

>network is centralized
Definitely has been a downside lately with the issues Google Cloud has been giving them.

>Privacy rights are not understandable
So the person who made this video cannot read.
>Their privacy policy says that they're not selling my data, so they MUST be selling my data!

>Permission system seems confusing
Alternatively, "I have never opened the permissions window".

>they have probably made less than $1,000,000 since their first investors
Which is surprising to me considering they hadn't actually set up any premium *anything* until December of last year as a test, and late January of this year for everyone. Maybe they ARE selling our memes and hentai posts. Spooky.

>whatever whatever founder whatever
First project that's actually been worth looking at. There is a lot to be said about the founder's past projects, but it's questionable whether that was him or his team. Something to look at for sure, though.

>whatever whatever phase whatever
My favorite part of this section is "No, just no." He hasn't looked into what they're actually going to do. Smart assessment all around.

>Teamspeak
Horrible interface, unusable unscalable chat system, forced to host a public server for any sane amount of people. Talks about I know he'd talk about Teamspeak's permission controls, they're absolutely insane compared to Discord's. Especially when you have to TELNET into your server if your master key client corrupts or you change systems. This guy is clueless.

>Skype is still a great application
>opened up with privacy concerns and selling out
Why did you even bother to link this, user?

>Mumble
>Mumble

For once, a Youtube comment sums the video up perfectly.
>Bad presentation, bad arguments (no substatiation), no sources for the information. With this approach i can't take your statements serious.

I look forward to seeing you all on the national news. Please try not to hurt women or children.

tl;dr

>Implying not being close to anyone isn't for their protection in the first place

Bottom of the post, you degenerate

I can't even harm a spider. I feel guilty and sad if I do.

Maybe I'm just a child. But what's so wrong with that?

Wrong end of the post you retard

You won't. People won't even know if I die because there will be nobody who could start to miss me. So, I just disappear from eyes of noone.

>Their privacy policy says that they're not selling my data
But that is exactly what it entails
youtube.com/watch?v=cn4CENr5NV0

>friends have discord
>still uses skype

End me. I'm so fucking tired of the constant static noise in skype even when nobody is talking.

Why not just use it?
Desktop version is available for windows mac and linux

>tfw to intelligent to fall in love