Thread for questions that shouldn't have their own thread
prev

Other urls found in this thread:

piriform.com/defraggler
google.com
howtogeek.com/140576/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-android-and-block-web-sites/
openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/80452-should-i-buy-the-mpeg-2-and-vc-license
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thoughts on ryzen 5? will it be the go to processor s for gaming(cost vs performance wise) ?

No

How do I defrag my SSD?

Don't do that

piriform.com/defraggler

why?

okay thanks

It's pointless on a SSD. Read times are not affected by files physical location on the drive.

If I install Linux on a flash drive, to keep some files in that flash drive with Linux, would the files still be accessible from windows or would I have to boot into Linux every time I wanted to use the files?

SSDs aren't affected by fragmentation very much and defragging causes a lot of unnecessary wear on the drive.

yes

oh shit he said ssd not hdd. yeah listen to this guy he is right

If the flash drive is ext you'd need to mount it properly
If the files and shit are on a second partition that's still fat it'll be fine

Why is HDMI so popular? Is it just because HDMI also does audio? You can't even do high FPS shit with it as you can do with Dual link DVI.

Tomorrow is my brother's birthday and he has a linux pc. Is Windows 10 a good gift for him?

Not really, most people who are using Linux are doing so because they prefer it, not to save money or something.

It's easy, it's cheap, its standardized.

It just werks.

Higher fps higher resolution displays aren't common enough for most companies to switch their products over.

Do they make VR headsets for dogs?

I have a Galaxy S6 that's stuck on the Verizon loading screen. Can't force shutdown, and I can't access the battery either. Am I fucked until it powers down? Tried removing the SIM card and that did nothing. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have a non-removable battery and no force shutdown?

yes

keep trying to force it to shut down otherwise u wait till power down

ye
It's better than what came before it. We don't adapt a new cable type every five minutes because some video game enthusiasts might want them.
Just use a FAT format on the flash drive and you will be fine, this is the default setting on all usb installers I think.

guess it does have a force shutdown, you just have to hold the power button for way longer than a computer so I was getting frustrated.

It's not a problem goyim, it's a feature.

The Android hosts file blocks anything afterall?

But DVI did came before it and it was better.

DVI doesn't carry audio

Running Fedora25 x64
Freezes when browsing randomly.
Troubleshooted and boiled it down to either
>PSU failing
>fedora is shit
>obscure setting/configuration that I can't find
So I want to change distrubutions - as I never had this problem on win7.

Is gentoo that bad? I want something that just werks so I can go back to working

There is a problem with a vpn on my iphone. It says it doesn't operate in my country but it works perfectly on my ipad and ipod. Should I just wipe it off and set it up again? Is there another solution? And also, how do I backup ONLY my photos to my computer, not anything else from my iphone? Through itunes preferably because you can't delete photos from your iphone if you are importing them from an independant source.

>39
>young adult
lel

Is there a text editor for Linux similar to Notepad++?

why does pcbg have a hard on for ssd's? i feel like its an extra luxary rather than something that is needed

It's the commercial standard

what

notepadqq

What's the Sup Forums-approved PDF reader? I'm sure it's not Adobe.

firefox

Thanks mein nigga

Any alternatives to this piece of shit?

It's a thread for enthusiasts and SSDs are cool. It's definitely not needed for your average PC, but then again neither is a dedicated GPU or a current generator processor.

I use a laptop for everything and hook it up to a display at work. It runs all the videogames I want too, at sometimes reduced quality. Really, everything these people are spending their money on is optional slightly experience enhancing shit.

Yes. It's called "Mozilla Firefox".

Microsoft Outlook :^)

Are you dense?

While not Sup Forums approved, I use okular.
It has a lot of features, it has settings so you can select if it should be fast by using a small amount of memory or fast by using a lot.
It also works with forms and annotations and all that jazz people usually rely on adobe for.

Outlook :^)

If you consider the amount of time saved just by switching to an SSD, and it's impact on the user experience, it's basically the single biggest advancement in the last 10 years. Yes, outside of certain productivity software that doesn't have much affect on what you can actually DO, but it has a huge impact on how quickly you can actually do it.

An ssd on a operating system drive has noticeable gains

Yes it does. You can easily do all your computing without one though.

You can easily do all your computing on a 500 mhz pentium with a dial up card and a floppy disk as the only data input option.

trying to use kon boot on this laptop and it's not working
it says "dummy bios detected, trying to fix SMAP entries and then it just sits there forever
tried the old version too, same thing
help

lmao were comparing hdd to ssds . Its really not that bad. i think people have been spoiled by ssd. Besides if you have the money for an ssd its a good deal but for others sticking to hdd is still a good option. No need to force people to buy something they may not be able to afford

My mom bought the "Lenovo Miix 310", a touchscreen-notebook hybrid with
Windows 10.

Does anybody know if it comes with hand recognition software and if no, which one is good?
Maybe for word and maybe for entering stuff on the web.
I googled and found Lenovo has a program called WriteIt but I don't want to download anything for my mom that's not needed. If the thing has a million buttons, she'll go crazy and hate it. I want to give her the most gentle introduction to this world as possible, hence the handwriting need.

Also, but this is secondary, is there anything else to draw than Paint that's recommened. For drawing flowcharts etc.

$75-100 is so minimal in the overall budget of a system.

There is no reason to not have a sata ssd right now. Now m.2's those are really not needed on a daily basis and has limited performance gains under certain situation

>giving the botnet thousands of examples of your handwriting allowing it to build a an algorithm for reproducing it

i bet you trust fringerprint sensors too

Is there a good krita tutorial anywhere?

>fringerprint sensors
Please explain how this is botnet, please, let be grab a nice scotch and listen to this.
Please

Okay, can you guys help me anyway?

so i wanna move any screencaps i take into a seperate folder but my .zshrc refuses to cooperate
alias scrot=scrot 'mv $f ~/screen/'
pls no bully

>$75-100 is so minimal in the overall budget of a system.
That can be true for people like you and me but there are many people out there who dont have the luxary to spend a extra on an ssd. One can argue that they shouldnt be spending money on a high end pc if they cant afford the extra $75-$100 but in the end it is their money and they can spend it on however they wish as long as it makes them happy in the end

>them happy in the end
Which an ssd will do :^)

just create a little script and put it in your ~/bin folder

if ! [ -z $1 ]; then
scrot $1 && \
mv $1 ~/screen/$1;
fi;

then put your alias in your .bashrc,

alias scrot=~/bin/myscrot.sh

for (you)

Yes, people can make any decision they want about their rig. We're not passing a law saying it's illegal to have $1000 worth of tech without one. It's just a really good idea that most people would consider a priority if they could do a side by side comparison

How do I open webpage from terminal in the background (= keeping focus on the terminal)
both xdg-open google.com
and xdg-open google.com &
switch focus to browser

actually terrible software

What you type in the terminal isn't directly related to how X responds. Look for a way to disable focus stealing, and perhaps so conditionally if you only want it in this case

Anyone elses firefox suddenly using this weird format for time/dates?
I don't think I changed anything.
System time is still as it used to be, it's just firefox.

What's the best/cheapest thermal paste for a GPU? Haven't bought any in a while, current radeon card needs it though, running at 80c ten minutes into a game.

Can I run a 1050ti on a 250w 80+ Gold PSU?

does ios have anything like the android launchers that let you customize the home and app screen?

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

does ios have anything like the android launchers that let you customize the home and app screen?

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

No. You're stuck with springboard.

Just get arctic silver. If you don't have amazon prime wait until you need to buy an ethernet cord or something to bundle the shipping.

ceramic paste is wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than your typical arctic silver paste and it's only marginally less effective

I need help. I have an older laptop that I would like to put Ubuntu onto it but it does not support booting of a flash drive. And the laptop CD drive is not functional. Ive tried to boot the installer up on two different computers and install it to the hard drive for the laptop using a usb to sata cable. But I cant even get the installer to run on either of them. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can install Ubuntu to this hard drive and then move it to the laptop?

My old hard drive is making clicky noises so I bought a new one. I still haven't turned my PC on yet, but what I want to do is copy everything from my old drive to the new one. It should still be possible? And is there some program that would let me do that since the old drive is gonna be thrown away?

use norton ghost or acronis to make a clone of whatever is salvageable
depending on how big the drive is and how far gone it is it could take days

howtogeek.com/140576/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-android-and-block-web-sites/

please respond

Linus Tovalds uses webmail. Why wouldn't you?

i don't have ios. how come they don't have it, and android does? even with jailbreak there's nothing?

What's the best way of adding very basic graphics to a Java Swing GUI?
By basic I mean I want to display one of three different character sprites, a simple background and either a monster sprite or a chest sprite. No actual animation.

Just a basic dynamic viewport for a board game-type simulation.

what about clonezilla?

never used it, can't tell you if it works well or not
why does it have to be clonezilla anyways why can't you just use these ones that I'm telling you I know work well from like hundreds of uses

I'm majoring in computer science but so is the rest of my class. I'm 2 years in. How fucked am I?

Can one use an old dial-up PCI modem and old analog phone and convert the phone to an audio input+output?

Would be pretty cool being able to use the old phone on pc to answer calls from various programs.

Is ther like a tablet/laptop hybrid that's worth it? I know this is a really stupid question, just get a laptop etc etc. But I really like tablets. I just want one that either has a built in keyboard or keyboard accessory and that maybe also runs a real os so I can put things like unreal engine on it.

There's probably a more technical solution, but I would just open up the laptop, take out the hard drive, connect it to another computer and install Ubuntu from there.

I've been hearing much praise about the Microsoft Surface series from a few friends who own them. They're not cheap though.

>Firefox
Mozilla earns exactly one single statement which i found a while ago on a webpage i visited recently:

>Supporting Mozilla = Supporting discriminating radical leftist racist and fascist flavored beliefs and submitting to Mozilla's "Fuhrer" /role model Google's technological monoculturalism !!! Mozilla refused to support Brendan Eich who is defending traditional believes (heterosexual marriage...) and they are supporting and defending radical leftist fascists interests only. And Mozilla's decision to change their user base from power towards Chrome users is nothing less than raping the Open Source ideology (they are a for profit-only construct and while they tell otherwise to the public, Mozilla hungers only for influence and market share), humiliating all advanced users and showing no respect for their legacy users and add-on or theme developers. Mozilla is a bunch of ruthless assholes with a slight racist tendency against diversity which supports from now on a clearly mono-cultur-concept feature wise instead. For this reasons i am moral wise not able to allow the entrance of "Chrome-2" user agents towards my website as i am not going to support browser developers which are discriminating features and certain users who are using that kind of features and to make it worse are suddenly deciding to abandon that kind of users for a different target user group. I know that will lock out all the people who are fine in using a simple and not complex browser, and i am sorry for being forced to do that. Blame the hobby-racists from Mozilla for this, not me. In times where fascists of no matter which political fraction or believe they belong to are getting traction again, even more it is important to keep your moral standards no matter what! That applies to radical left and right fascists and Mozilla which is a clear anti feature und customization racist team. And i am unwilling to support Nazi believes. Not now, not in the future!

Is it not possible to change the font size on the Twitter app anymore ?

Asked this a few threads ago but got no response.

I have a Raspberry Pi 1B on which I want to run Kodi. Do I still need to buy a license key to use the MPEG-2 and VC-1 hardware decoders, or is there something I can download to generate/extract the key myself?

Damn you're not kidding. What would be more important, ram or the processor?

My laptop is essentially dead, but I need to keep it working a little longer until I can afford a new one. For reference it's a cheap Toshiba Satellite from ~2008 with a dead battery and a barely working fan.

What would be a good OS or Linux distro to use to keep it alive? I had Manjaro XFCE on it for around 2 years, but it overheated during an update and fucked my OS, so I've decided to just start over.

openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/80452-should-i-buy-the-mpeg-2-and-vc-license

You don't even need it br0 but if you do it's like $5.00 don't be a jew

gentoo

It has DRM that can prevent third party recording
This is literally the only reason it's sticking around in TV media, it's just as cheap to manufacture and the new revision does high res/Hz
The DRM is what makes it a movie makers connection