Base64 -d <<< 'L2ZnbHQvIC0gRnJpZW5kbHkgR05VL0xpbnV4IFRocmVhZAo='

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net

Gaming:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your penis such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_control_(Unix)#Implementation
appdb.winehq.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I got a spare Asus eeePC and I'm thinking of installing Debian or something there. Should I go full meme and put Openbox on it?

any more cool scripts like git.io/hotcoffee?

curl -L git.io/{burger,coffee,pancakes,pizzza,pizzzza,poptart,rice,taco,unix,vburger,waffles}

nice

curl wttr.in

I don't think we need that `News` section.

The pasta is primarily intended for newfriends and I don't think they'll be interested in news about something they know nothing about.
Actually, I don't think anyone's ever clicked on any of those news links, including me.

It's redundant and makes the pasta more confusing that it ought to be.

Good thread.

If this is the weather one, it's actually useful.

I have clicked on most of them, if not directly from here.
Let me rephrase that... I have visited almost every site in the OP, not necessarily by following the links in a /fglt/ thread.

How do I make a swap file (as opposed to a swap partition) on GNU/Linux and use it?

This picture of rms is licensed under a Creative Commons Noderivs Nocommercial license version 3.0 or later.

How do i safely remove systemd off my arch without breaking anything?

If anyone here have successfully removed systemd on a running arch please help me do so.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file

Thank you.

kek;d

you can't. install gentoo instead. yes, really.

Is there something wrong with systemd?

First for using Arch users as beta testers. How does it feel to be beta testers Arch plebs?

Good job making basically all of your packages not work properly.
Install gentoo, literally.

>"""install gentoo"""
literally rebbit trying to fit in

i want Sup Forums to leave

reverse psychology I see. time for you to go back.

Which distro is the least buggy, so that I can use it as my daily driver with KDE as desktop?

Feels good man.

How does it feel to use a rolling distro with a bunch of old outdated software?

Thread went from this to this

Debian Jessie is as stable as it gets.

Arch

It's a little too old for me. I've used it in the past and had issues getting newer software on it.

OpenSuse Leap

How bad is Yast? I have heard a lot of bad thing about it, but never used it. How does it compare to apt?

You don't have to use YaST
For package management you can use zypper from console, here's commands comparison:
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management

And for settings changes you obv. can use config editing
And whether it's bad or not - idk, never used it much myself

>~30 days old
Still newer than every other distro and just about long enough for you guys on Arch to weed out the fuckups so we don't have to deal with them

Fuck this. I'm installing gentoo after exporting all my profiles/bookmarks.

Any tips how to make my core 2 duo toaster laptop with 80GB space install faster? (not planning on main-ing on newer botnets)

Scenario: If I install firefox from src will it fill the whole drive? Do I need more drive space or it's already enough?

I curently use Arch Linux, could someone give me the run down on how gentoo is different and what the advantages/disadvantages of it are?

>firefox
>Estimated disk space required: 4.7 GB
That's from BLFS book. But it should be about right for gentoo as well.

>install faster
I think all you can do for that is set MAKEOPTS and not use -O3 since I think it takes longer to compile with O3 optimization. But maybe some gentoo pros will offer some advice here

USE flags
and no systemd

probably also more stability too, but who knows

When you install packages with pacman, you're actually downloading precompiled binary packages, and sometimes some scripts to run before/after copying those binaries to their install directories.
With Gentoo, this is different. You download the source, and compile it on your machine and then install it.

It'll run a lot slower without -O3 though. I've tested this on some of my own C programs.

openSUSE pays the more attention to making KDE work great than anyone else.

Kubuntu.

Manjaro or KDE neon are as stable as it gets

tfw linux these days has finally become a viable alternative. 2 years ago I had a buggy as shit user experience. Hope it's gonna last this time. I don't wanna go back to the botnet and make them find out about my pizzeria la frommage and loli hentais D:

Using Ubanto Cinnamon atm~

How do I install flash to my Pale Moon browser?

go to www.lemonparty.org

I suggest SUSE because of firefox with kde file picker but you should try KaOS

although KaOS's repo is limited to 64-bit the distro offers KDE and Kwin_wayland that just werks (no xorg)

goatse.info

GNU/Linux*

No

What if I use a distro without GNU?

GNo

It's not a GNU/Linux system.

And much more viable than the Ubuntu I used 8-9 years ago.

IMHO, the biggest step-up from the Linux experience of the past and current Linux is that you can create a really seamless setup now.

Even as an Arch user who pacman Syu's fairly often, it's a frequent event for me to forget that I'm using Linux -- specifically, that I'm "stuck" with Linux's "limited capabilities". Things are so nice that I honestly haven't booted my Windows partition in like a year.

Compared to the much buggier Linux of the past, desktop Linux has really stepped up its game. Sadly, we're past the point where "the year of desktop Linux" will ever come to pass, but it's nice that we're still reaping the benefits of all that hype.

cool, just Linux then

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm happy as long as my (now old, but back then new and fresh) hardware doesnt make X crash until Wayland's coming around. Fuck was that terrible. Every 10 Minutes shit'd restart, because LOLAMD. I've got a Nvidia card now and it's running alright.

Is it a bad sign when a raspberry pi 3 has both more powerful and more ganooslashleenux compatible hardware than my current laptop? Because of this, I began toying with the idea of building a laptop from a pi or similar hardware.

If I were to build a crappy laptop (craptop) using an SBC, which one should I choose that would fit the goal of open-source from top to bottom, software and hardware? Does such a thing exist?

>If I were to build a crappy laptop (craptop) using an SBC, which one should I choose that would fit the goal of open-source from top to bottom, software and hardware? Does such a thing exist?

Buy a T60 and libreboot it yourself

careful now, cinnamon is dangerous now that they impemented cinnamon experience(tm) analytics
>Ubanto
I hope that's not Unity Ubuntu with cinnamon.

I recommend Arch Revenge.

this. listen to the trips

u wot m9?

install smgl

>not using void linux

baka

What's the easiest distro for a minimal/netinstall in eufi mode? I'll be dual booting W10 because reasons.

pick any and then follow arch wiki for instructions

Ubuntu server mini. That way you can maintain participation in the botnet no matter which one you choose from your UEFI botnetboot

install konqueror

Hey, that's just what I needed! Thanks!

How do I get wifi from Gentoo minimal install cd? It's just a ThinkPad with Intel wireless.

maybe if they add fde to the install options and stop trying to achieve the 1337 status arch has i'll switch

When are musl and clang finally going to become usable compared to glibc and gcc? I long for the day when you fags literally can't justify calling it gahnoo any more.

childish

The day when faggots like you quit bitching and start contributing to those projects.

revenge

gentoo or funtoo and why?

funtoo is just a fork of gentoo mostly known because it uses git for repos, which gentoo bizarrely didn't use. That is, until a few years ago, when gentoo switched to git. Barely any difference now, and gentoo has more users. I'd go with gentoo because the developers are probably more competent.

stay mad stallcucks

what's the difference between control c and control z to kill a program from a terminal? it seems like quite often control c doesn't do much if the program is truly frozen, but control z instantly kills it 100% of the time.

ctrl-c = sigint
ctrl-z = sigstop

the latter cannot be intercepted by the running process

What Distro has
>an installer
>lightweight
>doesn't take long to install

I have a laptop that overheats if used too long (especially with CPU intensive programs) so compiling Gentoo is out of the question, otherwise I'd go with that. Too poor to afford a new laptop.

also note that ctrl-z doesn't 'kill' the process but suspend it.

i have arch linux on my laptop.
I'm very pleased with it (rolling release, yaourt, pacman is pretty neat, learning linux by using it!)
Really, nothing to complain about.
But I'm thinking about a change...
Mainly because: enough learning how to setup a samba, ssh (or something) server. Should focus on being productive.

Should I install ubuntu or something else?
I just want to work and forget config files for a while.

Guide me to productivity Sup Forumsentelmens.

KDE Neon or Void

Read man kill, there's a list of all signals. ^C is sigint, which interrups a program, ^Z is sigtstp, which just stops a program. You can send these signals directly using the kill command or any other program which understand these signals. You can also send the signal number, for example kill sigint is the same as kill 2 . To terminate a program, you use sigterm (15) and to actually KILL a program, you use sigkill (9). Don't overuse the sigkill signal, since this signal can't be blocked (means that the program which recieves this signal, can't free memory, save states, etc). Also read: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_control_(Unix)#Implementation

Since you're familiar with pacman now, you could switch to Manjaro.

Install tumbleweed.

Debian

>I have a laptop that overheats if used too long
Clean it. Fix your fan. Solve the problem.

Thats a gold hat, cool cat!

anyone here experienced with wine?
trying to run a game and getting these errors
any ideas how i can fix them?
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d384,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d474,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dxgi:DXGID3D10CreateDevice Ignoring flags 0x1.
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type.
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_device_init Ignoring adapter type.
fixme:d3d11:device_parent_create_swapchain_texture device_parent 0x5662f004, container_parent 0x5662eca8, wined3d_desc 0x33d4c4, texture flags 0, wined3d_texture 0x566511a0 partial stub!
fixme:d3d11:device_parent_create_swapchain_texture Implement DXGIwined3d usage conversion.
fixme:iphlpapi:CancelIPChangeNotify (overlapped 0x4fdc4070): stub

appdb.winehq.org/

Going to do this to extend its life a bit. It's around 9 years old now and was a cheap laptop to start with.

Was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure if it would be too CPU intensive or not, thanks.

it runs according to playonlinux
version on appdb of winehq is outdated

ehhhhh?

>Still using shitty GPL licensed software
>Not using BSD licensed software

I'm sorry, but I don't have a cuckold fetish.

somehow sad watching bsd and gnu people fighting each other, I mean, what's the point
both projects worked very closely in the beginning, bsd wouldn't be free without rms and gnu got some help from bsd people
how comes that today people hate each others?

First time using ganoo, am I doing this right?

I really like the idea of Gentoo but it just takes too long to do anything on it. What's a similar distro that is mostly binary? I've been considering slack, how is it? Is it fsf approved?

How can I become more of a UNIX Wizard Sup Forums?
I'm using my mouse less and less, and logging into X less and less as well.

Considering buying a Sup Forums pass so I can post with lynx.

>I have no idea what I'm doing
Anyone have recommendations for a torrent client? Is there any reason not to use Transmission?

And why does my mouse change focus and highlight things, but clicking doesn't always do anything, especially in child windows?