Intro to program class

>Intro to program class
>It's racket (functional programming class)
>show my code to my teacher
>IT's basically procedural code using global variables and shit
>He tells me I shouldn't use variables in FP
>Ask him how should I code without variables
>he tells me to use function returns
>Ask him if that doesn't have bad performance
>he tells me yeah, but that's the point of FP
>mfw

hasklel

so your professor tries to show you some concepts and you are to retarded to get the point of it ?
since it's only your second semester you can still drop out, because you are only wasting your and the universities resources

I have several years programming in OOP languages, so It was natural for me to think in "java/C# terms"

plus is just the first semester.

But racket ( and lisps in general) is not a functional programming language.

what the fuck is lisp then?

>first semester
i hate it when universities do their intro to programming classes in fp languages. there should be a class dedicated to functional programming because otherwise retards will only get confused

I got told it was to weed out the java kids who entered the college thinking they're hot shit.

>weed out
Uh, what? That is the first time I have heard of a CS program wanting to get rid of people, usually they'll go for easier and easier languages and gimp exams just to not lose people because their department looks so shitty otherwise.

isn't retards and java kids synonymous ?
you got a point there, but FP is too much for people who never programmed in their whole life as well.

Sufficiently clever compiler.
Tail-recursion.
Etc.

they don't want to get rid of people, It was a joke bro.

I dunno, I got told it was because the students already came thinking they knew how to code because they can code with OOP languages.

nah, we try to weed then out in our intro to programming class as well, ours is in java though. we have a drop out / fail rate of ~70%

lol, my first uni had a java oop intro course. It was so shit i didnt bother with and switched universities. It didnt "weed out" me, just made me realise my initial unis cs department was shit house

>It's racket
I dropped out and went to a better uni because of that shit

Are you that tard that keeps shitting up the /dpt/ with stupid racket homework?

Fun fact: they are doing this for real in some Unis in Germany because they get money for every new student

It's a good uni (I'm OP).

We got calculus I (which i canceled because I can't remember shit about math, going to retake it next semester) and some introductions.

My college follows the european and american CS classes.

Actually, they told us is basically CS but they can't legaly put CS because the degree is known as software engineering in my country.

kek
yup.

most universities do their intro classes in java.
but our students really fail or drop out after they failed their first assingments / exams

Well then I hope you learned how to format your Lisp by now.

>intro to programming
>it's python
>high failure rate anyways

well, python is the worst language for a beginner, so you could consider the dropouts lucky.

Python is shit.

shit like this makes me glad my 100 level class was C written with vim and gedit in linux. but that is just one benefit of going to a school that gets money from the nsa

i love racket. so much fun.

My introduction language in the university was Pascal.

>be in german uni
>so many people in CS the stairs and even the space behind the actual lecturer is completly crowded
>first programming class is haskell
>70% dropout rate