Red pill me on Void Linux

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

its ok i guess

unfinished
all 5 people using it will welcome you

Why is that?

Another pointless distro that further splits up the already scant Linux community and helps prevent Linux from ever being taken seriously as a consumer OS.

Not sure, I was just shitposting.

Refer to He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

its the arch meme + systemd fear in one distro
aka a unhoky abomination
install gentoo

You don't wanna know, you wanna know why?

it's awesome.
Fastest package manager i've ever used.

I don't know install and configure then its a shit.

a guy told me its like arch but without systemd, never used it but i guess it for folks who want something without systemd

I don't know why they made yet-another-linux-distro but i'm pretty sure its shit.

I'll redpill you on EVERY linux distro.

Anything not based on Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, or Nixos (which has the best package manager) is a meme.

Distros are there for convenience. No one wants to cross compile a Linux kernel, wget the gnu utilities, and roll their own distro. People that do that are NOT USING an operating system. They are essentially taking a tool made to get work done and run programs and transforming it into a shitty secret club/circle jerk.

Arch is the biggest meme out there.
Gentoo with its ports system is a meme and a pointless timesink.

Some distros exist with specific purposes like Puppy Linux which is made to run on the shittiest of computers. There's also BackTrack which is made for security guys that want something that has the most common tools already on it (just werks).

When you install Windows are expected to install explorer? Are expected to download the NT kernel? Of course not. Its a waste of fucking time. Anyone that tells you otherwise is either using some really exotic hardware, running commodity hardware in as a cluster or grid, or they're simply complete faggots.

Here is an exhaustive list of distros that are for general purpose computing.

Ubuntu , Debian
Redhat , CentOS , Fedora
NixOS

Multiple distros on the same line means they're related but still have their differences. NixOS is literally the most barebones one of the two. What makes it different is that it uses a different package manager and configuration system that is, quite frankly, far superior to the others. But its not your "just werks" distro. That's Ubuntu and Fedora.

basically, plus stability because no shitty dev decisions. Also no toxic community, actually helpful.

(You) mad? ;^)

As of yet, its the only GNU/Linux that hasnt been cracked by the Mossad

>NixOS
Agreed. I don't use NixOS though, because I don't get why I want a declarative package manager when I just store all my config in dotfiles and Saltstack states

It is in the same vein as Arch, it is basically what Arch should have been. Systemd was a mistake.
It's the best "minimal" binary distro.

Some differences from Arch:
It doesn't use systemd.
It is newer, so it is less stable.
It is even more bleeding edge than Arch is.
It is faster than Arch.

Don't listen to these CIA niggers.
They just want you to use systemd so the (((CIA))) can steal your data.

>The Jews are using open source init systems written in a nefarious language called C to persecute me

god i hate you luddites

I don't know or care if this is copypasta but every word single word in that essay was true

>unauditable attack surface
Good goy

Are you retarded?

github.com/systemd/systemd

There's the Github page. Go audit it. It's just some binaries written in C, the same as everything else you use day to day in Linux.

>no goyim there is nothing wrong with a massive completely unauditable codebase written in C, nothing at all goyim.

Exdeath's official distro.

the only good response to this thread so far

>Only JEWISH ASHKENAZIM ELITES could possibly read a codebase written in C

>needlessly being forced to read a massive codebase in C
I like C but you have to be insane to make anything larger than it needs to be.
Init is not one of those things that needs to be very large.

>Uses a massive monolithic kernel written entirely in C

I think you missed the
>larger than it needs to be
part.
A kernel needs to be pretty large CIA nigger
A FULLY FUNCTIONING init can be done in 16 lines.

As a Void user, I have to say it's one of the nicer distros I've used. It's got a very BSD-like user environment, but it's Linux so you get the full driver stack you expect with Linux.

Let's you use mksh as your default shell (it's faster than bash/zsh/dash and uses less memory than bash/zsh). My system is only using 230MB of RAM after boot into DWM. Very fast boot times, twice as fast as Arch w/ systemd on the same system.

>DONT USE UR RAM THATS BAD
lol baka

16 lines to launch scripts is totally fine, but then that calls hundreds of thousands of lines from init scripts that end up being distribution specific and far more complicated than systemd while providing far less functionality and security

kind of an argument in bad faith -- systemd has far more eyes on the code than a script that came with some random package that's specific to your distribution / release

Have not tried it but it looks interesting. What I've read makes me think of Crux or Slackware.

>i don't like individualism

t.Nazi

Not just declarative and purely functional package management but configuration too. You can literally store the system's state in a config file. So when you need to reinstall and something goes wrong you only need one config file not 10000 of them. And its done RIGHT not like gconf which is a pain in the pass or Windows registry which works but is a very inelegant solution.

Its beautiful software just like Euler's identity is beautiful.

When a shell script breaks, it rarely leads to arbitrary code execution though.
Crucial difference.

samefag. Not copypasta although I wouldn't mind if it became copypasta for the purpose of education.

Systemd isn't used and there are good arguments but not being able to read C is the best open source troll argument I've ever heard in my life.

10/10 would reincarnate, die of laughter, and reincarnate again

Join the exokernel movement and free the system from the abstractions of kernel space

>thread topic neat distro, not a fork of a failure
>shills slide thread by bringing up systemd

thx

Nix or Guix on Ubuntu is MAXIMUM COMFY.

THIS. This is a valid argument. The rest of you niggers could learn from this.

That is a pathetic error. I know software has errors but a smaller code base is a good thing. Less is more is an axiom that ANY software developer can live by.

>he wastes his RAM on booting his system slower and sluggish desktop environment
>doesn't save his RAM for his AI waifu's use

*she
if your just going to be dumb then dont reply to me

>backtrack
what era are you in?
>hates gentoo and arch because they don't have backdoor packages and harmfull packages that harness systemd
CIA nigger detected

arch switched to systemd because youtubegaymers and redditors fell for the meme and flooded the community and kept on complaining why their dual monitors dont work and too dumb to set it up on openrc.

>written in C
>yet slow as fuck
>dev writes insecure code that allowed tty rescue to login as root on a dmcrypted drive
>10 days (a stop job is running [- - - *])

Sounds great -- that's pretty much how I use Saltstack for functional config management already (I think I love it the same way you enjoy NixOS)

Hope this trend continues into other distros, neat stuff

Nice distro, runit is lightweight, the distro feels fast and well organised.

There's nothing wrong with not being adopted and taken seriously. In fact there's nothing really more soul killing to a system than mainstream adoption. Once the big money takes an interest, novalty goes out the window. It's a nice time to be computing. Kind of a golden age really. These are the good old days that people will get all misty eyed over and long for.

It's really good.
Clean and efficient.
Not for begginers.

I'd say that the package manager (xbps) is it's main strenght because it allows transparency on version, alternatives and much more.

Just give it a try, and make your decision user.

(Also no systemd, muh unix philosophy)

/thread

> what are hashes

dumb goy

I get 100 with zsh running on gentoo
????

Cool story senpai, here's your upboat :^)

It's OK if you install SystemD on it

(1/2)
The package manager (xbps) is fast, blazing fast, the fastest i have ever used.

People say it is either binary or a source distribution. It's actually more binary than source. I just makes it very easy to build your own packages or the entire system, but i would say that managing a fully custimzed source distro with Void... Well, you are better with Gentoo for that.

Has native arm support (unlike... Arch, which has its own project), native musl support (small, low ram usage, and fast). And tools for mips.

Vanilla Linux experience, they try not to patch anything unless it is needed. It actually feels closer to a BSD than Linux (Void's creator was a NetBSD maintainer, that speaks volume). Overall quality is amazing.

Simple. You can learn Runit and Xbps (with Xbps-src) in just a couple of days. Compare that to Arch, Gentoo or Debian. I would say that knowing some basic shell scripting is highly recommendable, however, if you are using something like Void, you know where you are getting into.

Extremely helpful community. Small, yes, and elitist, yes, but nonetheless helpful. Packages are all requested by the community, and builds can be patched by the community. As an example I am pretty active in the forums and in the Wiki.

(2/2)
I myself use it in my own laptop and I installed it in a USB (to have a secure portable OS, LVM and LUKS). The USB installation is less than 500mb with nothing else, and it uses 35mb of RAM, now, with everything installed (lightweigh apps, but with everything, heck I even installed CUPS, octave, firefox, etc) it is 5Gb and consumes 110mb in Spectrwm. I was the co-author of the Wiki entry on this topic (its not a good quality entry, but useful).

As an extra. Not systemd bullshit by default, yet you are given the choice to install what you please-need. No ConsoleKit by default, same with Polkit, udev (eudev is used), logind (elogind as an alternative for Gnome installations), dbus. Libressl instead of Openssl. Sane defaults.

And freedom of choice. Use your own shell, easily mask packages, simple init but modifiable scripts. S6 init system may be supported in the future? Rolling distro, but stable choices (transition from Gcc 4 to Gcc 6 took its time to make shure no breakages happen). Great maintainers. Nitche distro, which means the retardation levels are kept to a minimum

Easy to install with a curses interface. Yet it allows you to go the traditional way with the cli.

It's kind of built around xbps ans it's one of its strengths. Faster and lighter than arch, no ststemd. Needs some knowledge, but for the rest it's a really nice distro that doesn't receive much attention. Major DE like kde and gnome are not up to date because of systemd cleaning.

Void Linux looks like a great Linux distribution

Even if it succeeds one day, the dev team seems like the same type of assholes like Arch one.

Why, did they bully you?

Could you use it in live usb?

It's pretty fast and it works on low end hardware. It's not a distro for Windows users though, you do need basic Linux knowledge to use/configure it.

Check the wiki.

Why not Alpine Linux? It looks like it has a much stronger focus on security and it's minimal too.

At least they know their shit and are willing to work for what the believe, not for convenience. At least it is what i believe. And yeah, they are quite elitist indeed, but the userbase is not

You can just burn de iso onto a USB and there you have your live usb ready to be installed. However, i think this is not what you are asking about.

Yes I use it as a completely normal OS. Programs are kept, files wont be deleted etc etc. Just like anything else, but in a portable form of a USB

What you said is all there is about Alpine. Jet void is a more user centric distro, see

Problem with alpine is that it has no glibc support thus things like steam and the nvidia drivers will not work
I've asked many stupid questions and I've never been bullied, such as basic bitch problems with building emulators and whatnot due to my unfamiliarity with compiling they always replied if they could help
God forbid someone make a system that is built in a way most distros are not that appeals to a niche audience. I bet you are completely fine with custom windows installation media with tweaked defaults which do even less.
>nixos is a standard linux
That's how I knew you were memeing all along. nixos isn't bad but it isn't contributing in the way you want people to think

I took the bait for sure but whatever

Is there a linux-libre option?

I dont think so. The devs are not willing to add it. However, i am pretty sure that if you give them the necesary code they wont deny you the choice.

It should be pretty easy, make it just for x86, --no-blobs when compiling and make it depend in nothing.

Currently the linux kernel package depends in the firmware blobs, yet again. It should be pretty easy to make it free. It is one of the nicests features of Void. Modifying a template is easy as hell

its not windows why would someone care about steam or nvidia drivers

People who want to have working graphical output on gtx900+ cards

Welcome on Sup Forums