IT Support Interview Review

Hallo friends. Yesterday i made a thread about how im going to have an interview for an IT Support position.

For the useless NEETs here i'll tell you how it went. I have no past experience in IT Support but i was still able to land an interview.

Look for open positions and apply really early. To make up for the lack of experience get some certificates in any IT related shit you can find for free online. Some of them are really simple and can be obtained in under an hour (Google Certificates for example).

That'll get you through the screening process and to an interview. Additionally add some personal projects - maybe detail some of your projects in 1 Page and add them to the certificates. Like some short overview/add GitHub Lnks etc.

Interview was relatively simple. They asked me about any past experience, tried to find out what type of person i am because the position requires face to face support rather than remote. Of course they explained the company etc.

They did a bad job about what is actually required of me on a daily basis so i asked about that and the specific tasks id have to carry out.

They asked me about what operating systems i use, if im someone who builds his own pcs rather than buying one out of the box. They even asked me what i'd recommend someone who wants to buy a "light gaming PC" . I unironically said he should wait for a mid range Ryzen Processor and should buy a 1060 and fucking 8 Gigs of RAM cause 16 aren't necessary.

>tfw i fell for the 16 GB Ram meme

At the end of the interview they had this old desktop computer hidden and wanted me to tell them where id put the Graphic Cards in and asked me to name some of the parts in the computer and the I/O at the back. They didnt even want to do it because they knew i know the answer anyway based on what i said but we did it anyway and laughed at the HDD and the optical drive inside this old shit computer.

Not sure i i get the job but doing the interview was fun and id do it again.

Other urls found in this thread:

scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sounds fun wish i could get a job im useless

I remember your thread. I'm proud of you user.

user you've done well

good job user that sounds cool

no ur not

thanks. I also said i use Manjaro because Arch breaks all the time.

They gave me this scenario:

"Someone storms at your desk with a laptop that doesnt turn on and is really upset because xer needs the laptop in a meeting in 5-10 mins - How do you react? What would you do?"

I said i'd calm the person down and ask questions about what the actual problem is because he/she might need files that are stored on a server somewhere which i could get for her. Then i said id press the power button - if that doesnt work check the battery, replace it and hook it up to a monitor to see if i get a picture. If that doesnt work obviously open it and mb reset the BIOS or smth.

Not sure what they wanted to here there tbqh.

Here's what they want to hear re laptop:

Take down a few details about the problem

You run through basic troubleshooting to try and start the laptop

If that fails after five minutes, loan them a laptop if possible

haha.
thanks for the rare and:
-why do you use arch based linux?

You could be using ubuntu which is more stable than manjaro

>not trying to start shit trying to be civil

i obviously said my main system is macOS cause its some liberal company. They said most people use windows around 30-40% macOS and some are on Linux. They didnt ask further i guess they just wanted to know if im actually interested in all of this stuff.

Since its not a dev position, sys admin type of shit i dont think it matters. It was more about actual passion for the topic than expertise.

ohk i get it now, anyways good luck user, you'll need it.

Any tips on how to get a job user?

>Any tips on how to get a job user?

yes just apply. Worse thing that can happen is that you don't get the job and nothing changes so theres actually no downside to it.

Best thing that can happen is that you get the job, its fun and you learn something.

Companies routinely lie about how many people actually apply for their openings to make them look good. If you think that not a lot of people apply for this job based on the requirements its mostly true.

Just apply for any entry level shit and find companies you'd like to work for. If you think they are retards who hire based on data points on a CV don't apply. There are companies out there who don't care that much but much rather hire people that actually fit.

As long as you know you can do certain tasks better than most and have the passion for it nothing can stop you from succeeding.

For every person that applies there are probably 10 or more who looked at the opening and didnt do anything so actually applying gets you ahead in the game and seperates you from the rest.

have you thought about getting a more skilled job where the breadth of your required knowledge is more than a 10 minute youtube video?

it's probably one of his first IT jobs (i.e. he needs to get it on his resume so he can get those interviews)

we all have to start somewhere

this

>free certs

What certs are free?

There's a lot of free courses you can complete online that will actually impress employers (I'm a technical interviewer)

like just talking about how you're doing some of the Open MIT coursework will score you a lot of points

lots of companies, websites offer free certs

just google stuff you can get for free. Google, SAP, Universities offer free certs for things. Lots of stuff you can do find online. There are so many you can get to show that you 'educated' yourself you can't even include them all in an application.

Its not the same as the big known certs that are expensive but its better than nothing especially as someone who is young and has no experience.

>Open MIT coursework
Thank you thank you thank you

scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/

is this the rarest pepe of them all?

no user. Its just that there arent many dedicated apu apustaja collectors out there. I collect them all and acquired a good chunk of them already.

wait that's not pepe?

according to the meme lore it isn't

When they offer you something to drink at the start should you say yes or no?!

It's this r9k expanding its reach, or g is dumber than a year ago.?

>"Someone storms at your desk with a laptop that doesnt turn on and is really upset because xer needs the laptop in a meeting in 5-10 mins - How do you react? What would you do?"
Tell them to call the help desk. Oh wait, that's my coworker.

nah the economy is just horrible and working in tech is a meme