Civil War

Can anyone tell me about United States of America Civil war? Like most famous battles, war songs and etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nRJB036ev2Q
youtu.be/8ccQ6cT-9kk
youtu.be/X3W_c1ATTF0
youtube.com/watch?v=DDa28Y_PJTo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana,_São_Paulo
youtu.be/PJcHNCZNj24
youtu.be/s6jSqt39vFM
youtube.com/watch?v=3YWAXZAOLBY
youtube.com/watch?v=kNJY9pJ8aog&list=PLfcy5kaKEwG3nkbMo3wwWRWu2JHGKb_6H
warofrights.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=5i1s8FKoku8
youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8
youtube.com/watch?v=88x_rmeLPO4
youtube.com/watch?v=touKOK_FtfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yavz9rzaOSY
youtube.com/watch?v=dKMTu1GDi_w
youtube.com/watch?v=CCs1boq4O7s
youtube.com/watch?v=YAfHigPsC_s
youtube.com/watch?v=pukKZIlTEDo
youtube.com/watch?v=yiQzhPDhiWU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, first off, there was nothing civil about it. Second of all, Battle of Gettysburg was one fine-ass battle. Third of all, youtube.com/watch?v=nRJB036ev2Q this song from then is breddy gud

What do you mean "nothing civil about it"

Just look at how they behaved. Rather rude, to be honest.

Do you know Any more info like famous generals? Im generally more interesting in small batltes that actually combined was the true "game-changer"

youtu.be/8ccQ6cT-9kk

youtu.be/X3W_c1ATTF0

Here, this songs from BEST side.

1st bull-run, antietam and gettysburg are the big battles

the conferate had one goal, the fast capture of dc while the union was scurrying to unite their forces the confederates hit them where they could but in the end they couldn't counter the multifront assault the union massed and had their countryside raised while their army was elsewhere

Most important general coming through.
William Tecumseh Sherman, ready to march from Atlanta to Savannah.

When Johnny Comes Marching Home is the most famous song of the Civil War, similar to another song called Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye. The Bonnie Blue Flag is another famous one, sung by the Confederates (I took the one from the Bioshock Infinite OST because it's actually a pretty good version).

youtube.com/watch?v=DDa28Y_PJTo

Well thanks mates, ill do my own research from here on.

Tho if u have anything to add, please do so.

the Confederates had superb leaders

the union officers were drafted from various civil posts so they had to gain xp to hard way

so for the majority of the war the union was taking a hard beating until they got their proper officers in the right places

This.
The veteran officers from their war with Mexico sided with the South.
They were making gains and several European countries favored them. Lincoln was losing popularity in the Union, he then abolished slavery and everyone liked the Union over the South.
Sherman did his thing and won the war, through several victories and scorched earth tactics that made it so the South could no longer continue fighting.

What do you think how America would've changed if South won?

There would be many americas

as lincoln rightly said a divided house cannot stand

Slavery would have still eventually been abolished and we'd be much less powerful as a nation today

Do you still feel the diffrence between south and North America?

I feel they are both different than what they were.
The south isn't slaves and southern gentlemen anymore, it's dindus and rednecks.
The north aren't proper yankis and frontiersmen, they are jews and boring people.

after the war there was the reconstruction the purpose was to change the economy of the south so that they did not have to rely on cash crop human labor and ww2 change some of the largest cities so even if there is a cultural difference it was the civil war that impacted the culture the most and not the other way around

Yes. Generally more in the South than the North. Some schools in Georgia and S. Carolina still refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression."

We had a big media to-do over the Confederate flag last year. Some of the southern states still have it flying over the state house, alongside the state and national flags.

In the North, people have largely moved on. Peole usually have stronger opinions on bringing up the subject than they do on the subject itself.

Famous yes, not that important. Hes kinda meme general.... He had mental breakdowns and contemplated suicide.

He burned things but credit for the major battles and decisions in the war can be laid at the feet of people like Lee and Grant.

War Songs: Dixie, Battle hymn of the Republic, When johnny comes marching home, etc.

This. USA would have been a much weaker country in the long run. Maybe even would have not been able to help in WW1 or 2.

The two might have helped, no ?
Which part of the country was the most pro kraut back then ?
Would the South be as bad as it is now, had they won ?

More Americans died than both world wars combined.

We fought hard to do what was right and end slavery. And for what? Niggers still hate us. It makes my blood fuckin' boil I'll tell ya what.

the germans was the largest ethnicity in the civil war almost all of them was in the north

for economic monopoly over southern cotton obviously

Well well Gentleman, Atleast you didnt end you like your founder, british "empire".
Any more Insights would be nice, so share if you have some ideas or thoughts. Everythink is welcomed.

They might have but its hard to imagine they would have been able to provide the amount of support that a Continent spanning nation circa 1914 would have.

Also Other places might have followed the Souths example. One of the major reasons for building a Trans-continental rail road was to be able to ship troops quickly to the west if the Western territories and states decided to revolt.

First war were two Ironclads fought one another in combat.

Otherwise a rather bloody war. It along with the Crimean war can be considered the first true "modern" wars.

WE WUZ DIXIES N SHIET.

I am confused.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana,_São_Paulo

The Southern economy would have collapsed when cotton constructed in value in the 1880's. They would have been unable to compete with cotton production in British India.

Had they remained independent, Confederate society would probably have resembled Brazil more than anything. Take that as you will.

civil war for slavery is a convenient mask

the real reason was the cotton gin, southern economy depended on the exportation of cotton to england and the union factories had to pay the same for raw cotton and so the argument was that the union could force the southern states to industrialize so they could just make the finished product there without the raw cotton being sold overseas and the industrialists did not have to compete with england for raw resources

blacks was again used as a propaganda tool

Was listening to Johny march home, what did definition of "gay" mean back then? Like men Loved him or were happy to see him or something?

I'm sure its been said before, but an important distinction is that it wasn't wasn't really a war within the country, it was a war between the 23 states at that time. A war against the unified, federal government if you will. To answer the question, "Does the federal government have a right to throw blanket laws over every state? Or do we each, get to have our own laws?"

gay meant happy

Gay used to mean happy or merry.
One of the songs in Fallout 3 has it, meaning lasted to like the 50s.

Why the suicide ? When he closed his eyes he saw Atlanta burning ?

Some lesser known but still interesting battles"
Siege of Vicksburg in 1863, Battle of Lookout Mountain, Siege of Petersburg, "The Wilderness" and also the ruthless guerilla warfare in the border states and out west. All worth reading about.

It meant glad, happy, cheerful, etc.

Gay came to mean homosexual based on the stereotype of camp gays, who were flamboyant and energetically cheerful.

Americans killing each other over blacks

The south is stil recovering from it. And the body count is being revised upwards. Some historians are now putting the deaths closer to 800,000.

That's just a by product of the Southern plantation economy. It was explicitly fought over the issue of slavery and a desire to preserve the Union. The CSA's constitution talked of the issue of slavery in great detail.

In one of the earliest battles he was in he performed rather poorly. He was really affected by it.

I like this one.
youtu.be/PJcHNCZNj24

Was Maryland with the South ?
Doesn't look like a good geographical location to side with the South.

youtu.be/s6jSqt39vFM

What are your thoughts about if South were to win, were there be Communist United states ?

Interesting fact, The city of Vicksburg fell on July 4th 1863. The city had been through such a terrible siege and were so embittered that they didn't celebrate independence day until world war 2.

No way. Yankees are closer to commies than Rebs

The south could not win and Lee knew this they hoped to get a favorable settlement by the fast capture of DC. They could not force any terms

Politically the south was far far conservative, the literal definition

The South winning is a fantasy under any circumstances. They would still be poorly developed and weak compared to the North.

Do you think the Civil war Still affects people mindsets to this day? I dont live in United States so i cant observe this sadly.

If you want a solid overview of the war with an emphasis on narratives and battles Ken Burns' famous civil war documentary is a must.

youtube.com/watch?v=3YWAXZAOLBY

Maybe in the north, communist ideology was popular in industrialized areas at the time since working conditions were so bad. The south being less industrialized probably not. Though the again you did have politicians like Huey Long pop up even in the south.

if only

not specifically the civil war but the us vs the feds is the same

the fed is the big bad controller banker industrialist guy like the civil war union and the small everybody state rights guy is the rebel

>Ken Burns

Disregarded. He works for PBS

Hmmm that one has no video.

I found the whole series (for some reason with arabic in the titles) but it still seems to be the whole thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=kNJY9pJ8aog&list=PLfcy5kaKEwG3nkbMo3wwWRWu2JHGKb_6H

Agreed. We'd should have a big wall built along the Mason Dixon line to prevent Southern diaspora from coming North during the Great migration. Detroit wouldn't be nearly as shit if we designated the CSA a containment zone.

Interesting battles that have not been listed yet: Battle(s) of Bull Run, Battle of Shiloh, and St. Albans Raid.

Very good material, Thank you so much, but just out of self curiousity, what to you think yourselves about Fed's and privitized Reserve? Does it somehow affect your life?

>North: strong centralized government. Federal law trumps state law.

>South: strong localized government. State law trumps federal law.

North sounds more communist to me, fampai.

EVERYONE PLAY WAR OF RIGHTS WHEN IT COMES OUT

Anyone who likes the vidya back this shit on Kickstarter. warofrights.com/

let me fix this for you

>North: Federal system in which states have a degree of autonomy but the national government is still there to make sure the states are obeying the constitution.

>South: Confederacy, federal government exists only nominally or has incredibly limited role.

sid meier's gettysburg was the best

i wrecked it on any difficulty both sides

Yes. Living in Mississippi and the deep south you can still see its effects. Not many places in the north can you still see cannonballs embedded in houses. Mississippi itself still hasnt recovered.

Some rednecks still go for thing like "the south will rise again" but every rational person knows its just horseshit. They're still a lot of Confederate monuments though down here. A lot of people misinterpret them though so some have become controversial. Most people know the south was on the wrong side and are glad that the south lost, but still fell bad (and sometimes proud) for the southern soldiers that fought in the war. Best way I can describe it would be the way there is some sympathy for Wehrmacht soldiers in WW2. Your average confederate solider really did believe they were starting a new nation according to accounts and journals, but in reality they were pawns of the elite at the time.

Sounds stupid, but stupid things happen all over the world so not a surprise.

The way you describe the South makes it sound far superior to the North.

Undoubtedly. I'm a liberal living in Texas and I see a lot of sentiment for the fallen Confederacy. There's some more harmless stuff like southern pride, there's some bad ideas but not backed by action like the Ku Klux Klan (a white supremacist group which is largely neutered today but saw huge amounts of power throughout its long history) rallying behind the Confederate battle flag, and actually harmful stuff like the long lasting legacy of racism which still exists throughout the south (and indeed all of America). Whispers of secession still exist around here in Texas specifically, but only in very small numbers. Just recently Texas nationalist groups are trying to pass a resolution to have a referendum for independence, but even if the motion passes, people wanting independence for Texas are very rare and the referendum would fail probably in single digits, something like 4-96.

Hey man if you're interested in the American Civil War there is an ABUNDANCE of great sources. It's the archetypal history interest for folks here in the states. Ken Burns' The Civil War documentary series is very popular, you should check that out.

>Ken Burns
>PBS

Here, have this misinformation

I've never seen it myself, I just know it's popular. I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with it, care to expound?

Im interested in History overall, Mostly ofcourse Lithuanian, but i believe that every historical event is somehow connected to each other, and even one detail could lead a better understanding for other things.

Which part?

Top songs

Both sides :
>youtube.com/watch?v=5i1s8FKoku8 (top sad)

Union :
>youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8
>youtube.com/watch?v=nRJB036ev2Q
>youtube.com/watch?v=88x_rmeLPO4

Irish regiment :
>youtube.com/watch?v=touKOK_FtfQ
>youtube.com/watch?v=yavz9rzaOSY
>youtube.com/watch?v=touKOK_FtfQ

CSA :
>youtube.com/watch?v=dKMTu1GDi_w
>youtube.com/watch?v=CCs1boq4O7s
>youtube.com/watch?v=YAfHigPsC_s (based as fuck)
>youtube.com/watch?v=pukKZIlTEDo

Cannon balls ofcourse. They should be placed inside a museum.

Ken Burns' documentary was the gold standard of documentaries in its heyday, though its information is outdated by now. That man who spat on it just for it being a PBS production is a pleb of the highest order.

PBS receives more than 50% of their funding from the same government that won the Civil War.

>"History is written by the victors."–Walter Benjamin

I don't feel comfortable trusting them to give an accurate account

Not the poster you are replying to, but my main qualm with the series is the that it propagates the myth the Abraham Lincoln was an egalitarian that was on a crusade to end slavery (though it is more objective than most material in this regard). Abraham Lincoln was a nationalist through-and-through; his overriding concern was keeping this nation together, slavery was a secondary matter. He had no illusions about equality among the races, he even flirted with the idea of deporting negroes to Africa after the war.

see

This

That's definitely true. The most important thing, I suppose, is just to make sure you diversify your sources on the matter, like anything else.

Lincoln : the country

Ken Burns interviewed people with pro-Southern sympathies in the documentary. It was a full glimpse into the Civil War and its legacy fampai, and accurately reflects how history regarding the Civil War has become much more objective in both the north and the south. The late 80s and 90s especially saw a huge change in how everyone approached the Civil War.

ugh no

Dixie was a bunch of traitors. It was all about slavery.
>inb4 muh states rights
Yeah, rights to own slaves.

Wasn't anything particularly romantic about the war. Most died from disease, gangrene was rampant. American red cross I believe was created during the time to help soldiers.

Also the war with the most American casualties.

Industry and railroads were the North's advantage, as well as more cities to supply troops. I think the Brits backed the Confederates by trading with them, little shits.

For another decade or so after the war during Reconstruction it was a mess trying to rebuild.

Go onto any youtube video on the civil war and you'll get butthurt southerners whining.

youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8

Yes can anyone go more indepth about the railroad connections, what railroads were mainly used for battle?

They are everywhere, its not hard to find them and they are not particularly rare or valuable.

So why not move them then?

Liberia was litreally the place where he would send the former slaves.

also
>ctrl F no Shelby

Good night sweet prince

>I dont know history the post.

Not even a Southerner but you cant simplify it that much. Also you are the one sounding butthurt.

They weren't really used in battles per se, mainly transporting troops over long distances

great way of thinking, I agree but have never been able to put it in words

good post

Some people like the conversation piece I guess. If it was in my home I'd leave it too.

Well i would still consider it as using for army purposes.

Okay. Do tell.

The Colonization movement had a LONG history before Lincoln. The capital of Liberia is called "Monrovia" for a reason.
Lincoln mainly had ties to the American Colonization Society before his presidency. He had mostly cut ties by the beginning of the Civil War and obviously abandoned the idea by the time he issued the Emancipation Proclamation.

Well, i realised that when even one person from a diffrent history appeared in the other it could change the whole line of things.

For Exmpl, if lithuanian who was warring and hearing stories from his gramps about great duchy and its tactics became somehow a general in America, he would lead the people diffrently. I think something amongs those lines. Cant really express that much cuz of the lack of dictionary.

God Bless Dixie

Thread Theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=yiQzhPDhiWU

I should mention the Confederates also had railroads but not nearly as extensive as the North. During Sherman's March the Union soldiers tore up a lot of their railroads.

There were a few instances of mounted guns being used on trains as well.

The gatling gun (usually called the coffee grinder) is an early ancestor of what we know as the machine gun, was transported on those rails throughout the war as well

He wasn't a great military leader, at least in battles, but the strategic importance of his march to the sea shouldn't be understated.

The southern economy was already dwarfed by that of the North, but the March to the Sea devastated it further and impeded the Confederacy's ability and willpower to fight.