Samsung 850 SSD

>Samsung 850 SSD
1.5A 5V = 7.5W energy consumption

>Western Digital Scorpio black HDD
0.55A 5v = 2.75w

I've heard a lot of people on Sup Forums claiming that SSDs are better laptops since they consume less power. Where did this come from? It's bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Do-SSDs-use-more-or-less-power-than-HDDs-and-by-how-much
anandtech.com/show/2445/16
wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771435.pdf
techreport.com/review/22358/ssd-performance-scaling-across-the-spectrum/11
anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/10
pcadvisor.co.uk/review/solid-state-drives/western-digital-scorpio-black-500gb-review-3230773/
samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_Data_Sheet_rev_2_0.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Look we both know you're pretending to be stupid.

Comparing apples to oranges.

>comparing power consumption of one sata storage device to another sata storage device
More like oranges to limes you illiterate shit

That's active power. The rotating magnet in an HDD also draws a lot more reactive power.

>buhuu I can't afford extra ~5 Watts of energy
>my mom is going to kill me for this power bill!
kill yourself shitstain

>Laptops

Anyway,OP is a fag and the biggest boon of an SSD in a laptop is the lack of mechanical parts, aside from the decreased access times and throughput allowing it to be in lower powerstates for longer anyway.

(checked)
quora.com/Do-SSDs-use-more-or-less-power-than-HDDs-and-by-how-much
>not asking quora 1st techliter8

>2,5" ssds
>laptops
sure is 2010 here
even msata is deprecated. Just use m2 desu senpais

>instead of the 15–30 seconds that it takes for a mechanical drive to re-initialize.
but this is a lie
is this faggot retarded?

Why wouldn't you use 2.5" SSD when it's still the most common form factor?

Not for every drive. I snatched a server drive for my work PC and even when I have an SSD, sometimes it starts spinning up and the active app freezes for 15 seconds.

because 2,5" form factor is a pure waste of space.

SSD's aren't less power hungry. That was known by the general public as soon as the first SSDs were released.

SSDs were never marketed as an improvement in power consumption over HDDs.

we are talking about standard 2,5" drives
Server drives are NOT designed to enter sleep mode. This kills these drives.

>SSD's aren't less power hungry.
Why don't they still use HDDs in music players then?

Well, I don't know why it behaves like that.

anandtech.com/show/2445/16

I just told you why. Server drives are supposed to be always spinning.

It's a waste of space not to use it when space has been allocated for it already in the device.

Not using a 2.5" drive in a laptop that supports it is incredibly wasteful.

what happens when an older laptop with only a 2.5inch sata hole needs a new storage device because the old mechanical piece of shit in it died?

Cost.

Idle and standby power of SSDs is far lower, if you're running the SSD 100%, then yes, then it uses more power, but it also gets the job done dozens of time faster so it goes back to standby sooner.

>Western Digital Scorpio black HDD
wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771435.pdf

Are you trying to feed us false data as facts?
Trump administration is interested in your skills
Apply now

>older laptop
you trash it/sell it on ebay and get something new
You're not poor, are you?

you better stop attacking the emperor or else

>computer takes 20 seconds to boot with an SSD
>computer takes 80 seconds to boot with an HDD
That's 60 seconds worth of power you just saved.

OP btfo.

spinning disk in a portable device, lmao

>t. proud cuck

>Samsung 850 SSD
link the samsung power consumption, you moron

850 pro

AVERAGE POWER CONSUMPTION
(SYSTEM LEVEL)3)
Active Read: Max. 3.5W (2 TB)
Active Write: Max. 3.0W (1 TB)

POWER CONSUMPTION (IDLE)3)
Max. 0.07W

>quora

Literally drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the face. Retard.

What the fuck shitty os are you booting? Laptop WD blue, boots up in 20 seconds running Solus.

Implying I'm pretending

>20 seconds
lmao

>portable CD players were never a thing
lol found the retard

what is

>aspm
>partial mode
>slumber mode
>the fact that a ssd takes 10ms to go in and out of ultra low power mode similar to CPU C-states, and a hard drive takes seconds.

hang yourself, OP.

They were shit, what's your point?

That you're a retard. Wasn't it obvious when I called you a retard or are you too retarded to realize it?

While youre right, they were shit, they still were around

Portable kasette players were much, much better imo.

99% of the people in this thread nee to kill them're selves:

techreport.com/review/22358/ssd-performance-scaling-across-the-spectrum/11

Yes. Off a laptop hdd.

I would, if i wasent afraid of death, pain, and what it would do to those nearest to me.

SSDs are better on laptops since they don't have moving parts your fucking stupidity makes me wanna smoke a big fucking blunt and watch anime jesus fucking christ your smugness and shiposting are fucking bad mate go jump off a cliff and get rabies from making out with a dog you fucking faggot kill yourself

Bit misleading.

For HDD the voltage changes between idle and load. 5v for idle and 12v for load. Amperage is roughly similar at around 0.5A. So idle HDD would be at around 2.5-2.75w depending on fluctuation. On load it would be around 6w. That's limited to about 100-150MBps. 25 MBps/watt

Meanwhile on SSD, idle is so low at sub 500 mW. While load could use max of 7.5 watts. These goes around 550 MBps. 73 MBps/watt

SSD is roughly 3x more battery/energy efficient.

>giving a fuck about a 5W difference

>defending information that isn't even true
Kill yourself

You're thinking of a desktop HDD you idiot

this
>tfw my cpu draws over 100watts at idle

I google searched the specific drives mentioned by OP. The WD Scorpio Black 500 GB model does ~80MBps. Idles at about 850 mW and consumes about 2.5 w during read/writes. The Samsung 850 does about ~500 MBps. Idles at ~25 (not 250, 25) mW. Uses anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/10
>pcadvisor.co.uk/review/solid-state-drives/western-digital-scorpio-black-500gb-review-3230773/

At those levels of power consumption

It's basically negligable. Laptops tend to have batteries ~50w, 800mW is nothing.

We need to look at "normal use" power consumption. The extreme use case is stupid.

if you listened to shit jogging, cassettes were better, If you just needed a music player that could be taken on the go and set up somewhere stable, portable cd was better.

that little bit adds up, also ssds for boot anything just for quality of life, mass storage is for hdds, and if your laptop doesn't have 2 drives bays you fucekd up in your choices.

that kinda defeats the purpose of a portable player though, having to be completely still

Just get a damn boombox in that case, even sounds good, and you can have it on your shoulder looking stylish or something

Not him, but you'll be surprised. Assuming both doesn't use any proper external multimeter, samsung still draw more.
samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_Data_Sheet_rev_2_0.pdf