OS for old ass netbooks

When it comes to modern OS' what would you guys consider suitable for use in these kinds of things? Ive got an atom machine with 1gb of ddr2 im hooking up to a tv, and id like it to be reasonable for web browsing and non-demanding games on a 1080p display over vga

Xubuntu, (dare I say) arch, debian with a lightweight de (xfce, lxde, openbox, i3, etc), gentoo (if you're really crazy)

Gentoo on an atom would be retarded
Are you sure xfce and a web browser on 1gb of ram is sensible?

I've got a 2 GB shitbook that is my only computer. I flip flop between xubuntu and arch with dwm.

Xubuntu is less stressful to use but a minimal arch install saves those precious few MBs for more tabs while browsing. It's a rough life. Make sure you configure the fuck out of your browser to use as little memory as possible.

xfce: yes
browser: light browsing only, and go for an older browser (opera 12 or firefox 10ESR). Block ads with hosts.

Tiny7 senpai

is that really smart if i intend to run games with it? im talking emulation mostly, ps1 and the like

i do like XFCE desu, i might give it a go.
id probably go with ubuntu on it because debian gives me installation hassle from time to time.

ouch, you have my sympathies.

how do you configure your browser for maximum speed and minimal RAM use?

I tried a bunch of Linux distros with my old laptop, nothing worked as it should. Then I tried Win7 and lo and behold everything fucking works. It even works fast and multitasking is no problem. I can emulate stuff without screen tearing. I was even able to upgrade the battery firmware for my old Thinkpad. Linux is a fucking meme.

I've been running Mint on an atom n270 with 2gb and 945gse for years now and its been tolerable for browsing and light emulation such as nes and dosbox. It will struggle with psx/n64 however.

>have thinkpad T60
>Linux always pushes the CPU fan full tilt even without X11
>install windows 7
>quiet as a mouse

It's actually quite disgusting how shit Linux can be.

niggas fucked up something recently. I have a K8 (Turion64) laptop and cannot upgrade over 4.1 kernel because newer kernels cannot set CPU frequency, always keep the fan on and cannot reboot the machine. At least 4.1 is LTS.

have you even got the fucking thinkfan patch installed?

its always hit and miss with linux unfortunately, some times youll be good for years at a time with no issues, others youll get a fucked system hours in.

is that while multi-tasking, or just with one program at a time?

Just one at a time, there are tweaks to keep the fps above 15 but in my case n64 eventually shits itself, psx can be more reasonable.

>acer aoa150-1635
>xubuntu/lubuntu are too demanding
>instantly gets hot, even when idle
>removed the keyboard, there are burn marks over the CPU
>somehow burns out every battery I've stuck in it (granted, they were mostly chink)
>it's not even worth the cost of maintenance
Was good when I first got it though.

where can i get a download link for this?

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong

Torrent it and then never put any credit card numbers or critical passwords into it, load it with warez

gentoo would be horrible

debian with lxde / openbox

or ubuntu w/ the same if you want to have a non-retarded installation experience

How the fuck has no one mentioned Lubuntu?

It's Ubuntu with LXDE

FreeBSD w/o GUI

sorry to burst your bubble mate but last i checked Lubuntu was using 800MB of ram on a 2gb laptop. thats not lightweight.

disk footprint? sure.

>How the fuck has no one mentioned Lubuntu?
>It's Ubuntu with LXDE
No synpatics like in xfce

>60fps
wat fuk

Either its this fucking open source video driver or linux mupen64 is ported like shit.

>50c
Poetry

I'm using Xubuntu on my old Atom netbook.
It runs ok but I have 2GB of ram and a SSD.

If you're stuck with 1GB, I would recommend Debian with either LXDE or Xfce. Be sure to use the 32 bit version as it consumes significantly less ram.

A derivative of Slackware, like porteus. Stripped off Debian with light weight de like lxde or at most xfce

Mupen64 was never a great emulator in the first place, it's only popular because it's been ported to everything.

Project64 is Windows only but it has to have low requirements because it's so old that when it was first released people were paying $3,000 for monster Pentium 3 rigs to run it on.

Linux Lite

>7GB ATA Device
>7GB SD Memory Card
>7GB SD Memory Card

gotta love 2 SD card slots on a netbook, one of which doesn't even accept the full card

i usa an n270 based netbook, with 2gb of ram, as a livestramer machine. It runs either lubuntu or mint+lxde. (can't recall).

I'm on 4.9 and everything works, with phc-Intel I even undervolted the CPU
Though mine is an X60

Latest Opera is perfectly usable on an Atom.

The Linux driver for Intel GMA stuff is much better than it's windows counterpart

That's because it had 2gb available, and versions between 14.04 and 15.10 were somewhat bloated for some reason
It can run fine with 512mb, the absolute minimum is 128mb to have an unusable system, with 256mb yielding a typewriter

Lubuntu is the way to go

LXLE.

alpine

The biggest problem with toasters (1GB RAM or less) is web browser. Old opera 12 still works, more or less, but it will only get worse from here.

apricity OS
highly recommend it

>What others are saying
>What a hit! My old dell laptop core i3/4 gig ram is flying in an unprecedented manner.

the garbage

>recommend arch with a lipstick
why not just arch?

coz its easy to use
even for noobs
(ok maybe you'll have to learn a tiny little bit)
AUR works 100% with apricity so why bother?

Windows 7 an upgrade to 2 gb ram

>21GB
wow, just wow

>blockadblock

>what did she mean by this

Xubuntu works just fine

The Linux Lite site uses freedom-disrespecting hacker codes to disable your adblocker, and stop you from viewing the site if you re-enable it.

If you're down for it, install Ubuntu server and build your own very essential stack. You get stability, ease of use and good community, without having to figure out how to install gentoo-like shit

Maximum hardcore and meme tier: the TempleOS fork with networking

your place looks comfy :3

I block ads and can visit the site normally. Besides, the devs should get some money.

I have an Eee 900, and I use a minimal Debian stable setup with IceWM which works alright.

fuck the devs

It's never going to game great, the intel Atom series used the intel GMA integrated graphic cards and they completely suck ass (Minecraft lowest settings at like 10fps)

XD

Windows xp live a little

>Good luck with VIA drivers

For all of those that replied xubuntu, how would you compare its performance with ubuntu mate?

>
>Gentoo on an atom would be retarded
Have you ever herd of distcc?

You could use Netsurf, Dillo, or Links-2.

Win7. Seriously, tried out several *buntu flavours, several DEs on Debian and a few other Linux alternatives along with xp, all on an old Acer netbook(full disclosure, do also ran like shit). Took a chance and loaded win7 and I've yet to have a problem in the 14ish months I've been running it. Admittedly haven't gamed on it, but streaming and browsing are no problem. Will post netbook model and specs, not 100% sure of them off hand

looks comfy

>i do like XFCE desu
Xfce

are those... front facing stereo speakers?

Yes

bump

>PuppyLinux

See if you have any other laptops lying around and take ram out of them and put it in the netbook. That'll speed it up a little bit for browsing.

search for "fuck fuck adblock"

I have an old laptop with T2390 CPU, 2gb of RAM and a X3100 graphics.
Runs surprisingly well on Debian with mate + compiz (with proper lightweight ccsm config)

>non-demanding games on a 1080p display
Nigger you'll be lucky to run GTA San Andreas kr Neverwinter nights in 800x600 with 30fps

Minecraft is a hideously coded game, it's requirements are an order of magnitude higher than they should be.

Really this shit SHOULD run on a Pentium 133 with a Voodoo 2, I can't objectively say it looks better than Quake 2 or Unreal Tournament

Sounds like a job for an anti-anti-adblock script.

Those engines are an order of magnitude less heavy than minecraft because they do an order of magnitude less work. Even Q3 engine doesn't support destructible environments.

Red Faction required a Pentium 2, a 32MB GeForce 2 or Radeon 7000 and 64MB of RAM and had fully destructible 3D environments

Also because of Minecraft's cube system, the actual environments are much less significant than they look. After all, each of those three meter cubes is really only like 16 bytes of data.

Oh, and the best proof that x86 Minecraft is garbage is that the ARM edition runs much more smoothly on much weaker hardware, and the Windows 10 Edition, which is a port of the mobile version, gets 10x the FPS of the regular version on the same machine.

Yeah, Red Faction was still a large leap over Q2 though for the record. Minecraft COULD be much more efficient. Not sure where minetest ranks.

Agreed Minecraft engine IS garbage, I apologize if it looked like I was defending it. That was not the point of my post.

Have you ever thought about getting a job?

I mean, not even a job.

The guy could spend like half a day grinding on Amazon Mechanical Turk and at the end of it afford a ThinkPad T60 or T400

I have a Vaio from the previous decade with 2gb ram. Win 7 is unusable but Xubuntu works great for me, it's lightning fast.

Many websites are slow but that's Firefox, I haven't found an alternative.

Don't be stupid. Some of us work hard to pay for quality and see no reason in buying the same machines evert years because of marketing and planned (software) obsolescence.

Just put Debian with default DE on my AOA150 after resurrecting it. It's comfy-looking, but goddam, going back to HDD and DDR2 is a killer. This thing was never meant to scream anyway, but that Tiny7 looks interesting. I've got a spare SSD lying around, and now I'm wondering if that would be worth dicking around with.

Didn't knew anything about this... Gonna try it this weekend

Xubuntu on an Athlon P340 worked really well with 4GB of RAM (only had 3GB originally).

Laptop model is a Satellite C655D, I think.

im literally talking about psx emulation