There are people who pronounce SQL as "sequel"

>there are people who pronounce SQL as "sequel"

Other urls found in this thread:

patorjk.com/blog/2012/01/26/pronouncing-sql-s-q-l-or-sequel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most wincucks do. Every windows admin I know has claimed sequel server is better than my sql

>there are people autist enough to care about how others pronunciate something

I'm a tech writer and in our industry everyone writes "a SQL server" because 99% of people call it sequel.

We never use "an SQL server" because only tards say ES-QUE-ELL.

/thread

I make a living writing sequel. Guess you should call my boss and tell him to stop sending me checks.

>there are people who use SQL

But why call Structured Query Language "sequel"?
>MySQL
>my sequel

>there are people who pronounce SQL as "sequel"
Yes, there are people who pronounce SQL correctly.

CQL

Damn let me take advantage of this thread

how the fuck do i connect the databases i made on phpmyadmin through Xampp to my java program on netbeans?

>SQL was initially developed at IBM by Donald Chamberlin and Raymond Boyce.
>It was initially called “Structured English Query Language” (SEQUEL) and pronounced “sequel”, though it later had to have it’s name shortened to “Structured Query Language” (SQL) due to trademark issues.
>It was created to supplant the then popular QUEL database language, and the name “sequel” was meant as a pun (it was the sequel to QUEL).

>patorjk.com/blog/2012/01/26/pronouncing-sql-s-q-l-or-sequel/

Is this a general things in English though? Like of course you speak "an FTP server" but do you also write it this way?

Also literally everyone I know calls it es que el but I always hated nerds discussing about how to pronounce abbreviations

Hibernate.

This is becuase sql was called seqeul -> structured english query language. Before it was renamed to sql

Abbreviations are never meant to be pronounced as full words

MySQL > YourSQL

at my last job everyone did, it was so grating on my ears

I pronounce .webm as "web master" for some reason...

>YourSQL
> not You'reSQL

gnu?
FLIR? (Forward Looking Infrared Radiometer)
(captcha, gif, humvee, scuba, radar, sim card...)

I hear ya, remember everyone calling LED TV's "lead" (like lead poisoning)

How do you fags, pronounce Nginx?
i use en - ginx

It's pronounced
>A fppthttththhthpthth server

Those people included Donald Chamberlin and Raymond Boyce, creators of both SQL itself and the fucking acronym.

Kek

>mfw tried to pronounce FTP out loud

>There are people who don't know SQL was literally called SEQUEL (Structured English Query Language) before its creators decided to drop the "English" part and shorten the acronym while keeping the pronounciation

Let's settle this
>one letter boards pronounced as the letter
>same for other boards UNLESS they form a pronounceable sound

It's SQuirreL

PostgreSQL >

engine X
the correct and only way

There are also people who pronounced it as squirrel. My squirrel. Squirrel server. Posgresquirrel. No squirrel.

It is "sequel" unless it's a part of the name of something else. MySQL is "My S Q L" for Instance.

SQL injection is "sequel injection"

Here's a list of shit I pronounce wrong but refuse to correct myself:
SQL - "Squeal"
.[x]df - An "uh" with whatever the first letter is and "diff" (with the exclusion of .pdf, which I say correctly say "pee-dee-eff")
.sh - "Shuh"
.ps - "Piss"
.tgz - "Tigz"
.tar.gz - "Targus"
.wz - "Weezy"
.js - "Jas"

I mean, I have similar pronunciations but I never say them except for in my head when reading extensions.

.tar.gz reads to me "Targziz

SQL is known as sequel because it was originally trademarked as SEQUEL, or at least was going to be until that fell through. That is ultimately why SQL is pronounced "sequel".