How do I not suck at ipv4 address? I'm studying for some certifications, I get a little bit...

How do I not suck at ipv4 address? I'm studying for some certifications, I get a little bit, but then I become a full cuck and just have no idea what the fuck is going on. Anyone have a website for practice and tutorials?

Other urls found in this thread:

netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/networking-concepts-HOWTO.a4.ps
youtu.be/asdbtm7ynno
youtube.com/watch?v=df73KjmiObI
youtube.com/watch?v=rs39FWDhzDs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

niggs

just be yourself

You think IPv4 is hard? Hah you're like a little baby. Try IPv8. That is where the real network engineers earn their living.

Explain one of the issues you're having

>IPv8
You meant IPv6.

I meant IPv8, faggot

Over 80 Gorillion IP addresses

Then why don't you provide us with an example of an IPv8 address?

fucking quads wasted on an easily searched question neck urself m8

Why should I even bother?
As if the addressing scheme was the relevant part of the IP.

Thanks for confirming that you meant IPv6

>what is logic

>Feeding trolls on Sup Forums
kys

Well here is my IPv8 address:

270c8843:5b118108:b4e8c166:a48b1c84:20dc25b1:74c493a7:1e688670:b14a9fa3:8936ec15:64f47ef9:0b840757:2411ea35:4e8a2d93:36749563:c84ddd9d:1fc9b9c6:eb33ef39:2c73ee27:a69fad89:a543f8aa:b6114cc2:69e84605:9594c9ba:5663ade8:e46dcc83:66f541d9:2d88453c:f41f9dfd:2f02383f:181f8bec:ed821710:ee116017

I just want to find a website that will give me a tutorial and practice after. ill even take youtube videos

>persisting
kys

just kys

>been taking networking classes for almost a year now and still dont understand a single thing about ipv6
>too lazy to look it up and self teach and been just winging it on tests

netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/networking-concepts-HOWTO.a4.ps

this is just okay. i can memorize the tables. but idk how to subnet shit if i get something like 192.168.42.30/24 network. or like finding the wildcard or vslm

>How do I not suck at ipv4 address?
By not being a faggot and learning how to subnet.

Don't bother, ipv6 is the future

kek

Fyi, the major telecos are already using IPv6 and ARIN is starting to tax ipv4 to death. I'd give it another 12mons before ipv4 spirals towards darkness in the rest of the market.

I used two sources to learn for my CCNA, Odom and Lazario. Eventually I could do it in my head no tables just memorized the multiples of 16 and a few principles.

A wildcard mask is the inverse of a subnet mask.

0.0.0.255 is the wildcard for 255.255.255.0 (/24)
0.0.0.3 is the wildcard for 255.255.255.252 (/30)

Literally look up everything else.

first you gotta get some numbers, up to 3 of them ok. Then you press the key in between comma and slash (non qwerty go jack off on keycaps plz)
now put up to 3 more numbers. Good progress so far.
Ok, here it is again smash that mf period button.
now up to 3 numbers again.
oh boy oh boy fuckin slam that period key
grand finale, grand splooge, 3 more numbers and you got yourself an IP

Instructions too vague, got dick stuck under period key.

Each group of numbers is made of 8 bits. the "/24" means the high order 24 bits determines the network address.

The number of addresses possible is 2^n, where n is the number of bits NOT included in the subnet mask.

For example "/24" mask is 255.255.255.0 so the last octet (8 bits) is not included in the mask. So 2^8=256, so there are 256 addresses possible (0 to 255, always count from 0).

You can add bits to the mask to make split bigger networks into smaller ones. For example: 192.168.1.0\24 is one network with 256 addresses, but by extending the subnet mask to \25 you get two smaller networks. 192.168.1.0\25 and 192.168.1.128\25. These new networks have 2^7 (128) addresses, since 7 bits are not included in the subnet mask.

I don't know how to make it any simpler nor do I know anything about REAL life networking, but that's the basics of ipv4 subnetting.

ok, what do i do when i get some bullshit like /19 and my boss wants 6 new subnets with 12 hosts each? it's shit like this that i cant do.

rolling out ipv6 at a carrier level is very expensive. it'll be interesting to see the last countries that drop ipv4 support. would like to tunnel into an ipv4 gateway to see how things are doing when we reach that point. I assume a near dead ipv4 internet will be quite similar to tor in terms of content and speed.

>ipv6
I remember a rumour from years ago that your personal details could be embedded in the ipv6 address by your ISP or something to that effect. Anyone know if there was any truth to that?

Are you actually retarded, OP? IPv4 is way easier than IPv6 by far.

What the fuck does that even mean? They have your personal details regardless.

this isn't a thing

As in the actual data packets for ipv6 contained your personal details. That's why the NSA designed ipv6 all by themselves.

You're probably thinking of an auto-config scheme where your MAC address is embedded into the lower 48 bits of your address.
It does not have to be configured that way, and a MAC address isn't particularly sensitive information, but it can share who the manufacturer of your NIC is.

It's sensitive information when it's a mobile phone. But that's all botnet anyway so it doesn't matter.

Here's how it works.. Even today.
NSA sees your IP involved with something obviously illegal, maybe they get a report from an administrator. NSA contacts the ISP with a warrant and ISP figures out what modem's mac address has that IP (sometimes the modem mac is even written into your FQDN). The modem's mac is associated with your account, and they could literally just mirror all of your traffic at the CMTS router directly to the NSA dc for storage and inspection. These requests are probably automatically queried by NSA when dealing with major US ISPs. That interface is probably what requires a warrant, or so they may claim..

Jesus christ.. my FQDN has my modem mac address in it. You can usually authenticate with tech support on the phone as an account holder if you have this and the home address. Really all you need is a phone number (reverse lookup address and name) and an IP address. Fuckin security hole right there.

Eli the Computer Guy on youtube. Helped me understand octets.

>IPv8
Nigga wtf
FE80::

We needed IPv8 after the solar system was taken over by the 'internet of nanomachines'.

I guess we didn't have enough addresses for the solar system

IPv8 seems to be easier to manages than IPv6 because the addresses are smaller. Only 42 bits as opposed to 128 bits.

IPv8 is 43 bits. Not 42.

shut the fuck up you gay niggers and stay on topic. whats a good resource for ipv4 learning and practice

Here on IP headers and packet inspection:

youtu.be/asdbtm7ynno

Here on Subnetting:
youtube.com/watch?v=df73KjmiObI
youtube.com/watch?v=rs39FWDhzDs

install gentoo

IP is deprecated. Protocol Seven is the future.

your router front end

12 hosts = 14 adresses = 2^5 needed = /32 - 5 = /27

why do you subtract 5?

You really need to spend some time learning subnetting from ground up. You'll never understand otherwise.
In that case it takes 5 bits to express the required number of host address, so 5 bits are subtracted from the total address of 32 bits, leaving you with 27 bits (32 -
5) for the network address and 5 bits for the host addresses.

IPv6 is comfy as fuck. All my devices have real addresses, you don't have to deal with ARP and NAT(!), multicast is very easy to use and doesn't clutter the network, auto configuration is a blessing.

how is ARP not going to bother you anymore?
IPv6 is not a link layer protocol so ARP isn't going anywhere senpai

>what is a link local address

well its not an ip friendo but a mac adress

I had a hard time at first for my certification, but it's really easy. What got me was getting a range of IPv4 addresses for a classless subnet.
So, you're probably familiar with the Class C subnet: 255.255.255.0
The occupied bits are the network layer and the empty bits are the node layer or clients.
Network layer: 255.255.255
Node layer: 0
IPv4 has 4 octets, so in binary a Class C subnet looks like
Okay, so the first IPv4 address in a Class C subnet is 192.168.1.1 This is reserved for the default gateway and the last IPv4 address will be reserved for the next subnet mask. Therefor, a Class C Subnet can have 253 clients on each network segment (Which isn't that many.) but it can have A LOT of networks, something like 1.6 million. I have to check the math on that. If you need more than 253 clients on each network you may consider switching to perhaps a Class A Subnet: 255.0.0.0 (A lot of clients on each network, but not that many networks.)
a Class B Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (A good amount of both networks and clients on each network.)
For classless subnetting, just look at the subnet in binary and remember that the network layer is the occupied bits and the node layer is the unoccupied bits.

>Therefor, a Class C Subnet can have 253
That's an error. A "Class C" or /24 subnet can have 254 addresses.

254 addresses, but the first one is reserved for the default gateway address.

no he means that you actually have 256 (0 - 255) but the first is reserved as network address and the last is reserved as broadcast address so its 256 - 2 = 254

254. That's (2^n)-2.

Oh, I gotcha'.

umm, it is ip

$ tail -2 /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[connection]
ipv6.ip6-privacy=2

Faggot on ipv8 when the world's already moved on to ipv16. Good luck with your meme qualifications.

Ipv8, literally why? 16 quintillion addresses with Ipv6 is already enough.

There's privacy issues with ipv6. Your packets will be tagged with an ID tied to your computer. This will describe the manufacturer, model, etc. Also, if you buy a system from someone, you could be buying their reputation on the net.

So will the world switch from IPv4 to IPv6
or IPv4 to IPv8?

Is that the guy from Breaking Bad?

No one cares about ipv6. Why would anyone cares about ipv8?

Ipv6 will probably become the 720p of the networking world.

I love Sup Forums.
Total ignorance paired with monumental confidence.

Listen you nigglets. Both Ipv4 and Ipv6 are important to learn. One isn't more important thant the other. Give me more ipv4 subnetting,vslm, wildcard, host bits and stealing host bits practice you nig nogs.

Am I missing something?

Are physical addresses always associated with IPv6?
I'm taking CNT 120 right now, I just don't remember

You can use privacy addressing to generate temporary ipv6 addresses that don't contain your mac address.

You're missing a shitty trol

You've been thunder trolled. cuck

What are the advantages or disadvantages to using an IPv6 address online? Is it worth it?