/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/436
ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/437
ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/438
innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements
innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf
v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HD 558s.

What now /hpg/, how should I equalize this?

Im thinking of buying HD600/650
please talk me out of them

Headphonefags are insufferable

Get HD600.

Become Master Race.

Never come back here.

>Snapheisers
Chink shit quality plastic that will span when you bend the headband too far back.

Otherwise, they're both good buys if you like ""neutral"" headphones.

speaking of.
I have an integrated marants amp (pm 5005). Would that power those headphones efficently?
Would it affect the quality a lot ?

But HD600 has a tinny treble.

Barely any bass, and that clamp's damn uncomfortable.

RIP

Reminder to ignore the mental nutjob and his "TrustyFucks" and "silly goose" posts. Do not reply to this trolls. Do not bait him. Do not engage him in any way. Also, please note that he talks to himslef and samefags and tries to make fake conversations to troll. Just ignore and report and let mods deal with him. You cannot talk sense with mentally ill so don't even try.

Good job, user. I recommended them to user, if he wanted "neutral" headphones; but I guess you couldn't stand any argument against your "master race" headphones, eh?

OP headphone girl has excellent taste in headphones.

Are you consistently getting a good seal?

HD600 owner here. Absolutely do!

Just don't forget to get a decent amp to go with them. I suggest Schiit Fulla 2.

Personally, I use the Schiit Modi2Uber + Magni2Uber stack.

No. Despite my head is fucking big. This kind of annoys me.

would the headphone preamp from marantz pm5005 work well ?

Best iems for under 150eur?
Warm and without cable noise.
Thanks

Reminder to stop spamming this shit into every thread. It's only adding up to the problem. Learn how this place works. If you want to stop something, you entirely ignore it and report if it's against the rules. Unless of course you are trying to get some false flag shitposting scheme going on here. Bet it wouldn't be the first one we'd have had.

That would complicate the EQ process a lot. Don't move while you listen? No use in fixing the bass but you can try to tame the treble peaks. Normally I'd recommend a parametric equalizer but since you will be subtracting and have a decent amount of bands to use, it might do some good to go with what you have there. The plot you are looking at is useless. Listen through some sine sweeps and equalize the peaks away. Audiocheck.net has some sine tones available.

Thanks user.
I also have this but no idea how it works.

>marantz pm5005
No fucking idea. They fail to provide relevant specs, such as output impedance & max output with 300ohm impedance load.

You can't go wrong with the fulla2 in any event, as it's small, cheap, versatile and usb powered.

How "neutral" are the he-400i's?

Not very.

Oops, that was the HD400, not the HE400i.

Bass:
ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/436
Mids:
ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/437
Treble:
ca.rtings.com/headphones/graph#353/438

Pretty sure that plot is HE-400i, user.

You're right; nevermind.
innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements
innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf

Budget
$150,
Source
pc and xbox one,
Type of headphone
closed full size,
Comfort level
dont really care aslong as they dont pull hair,
Sound signature
mid centric,
Past headphones
Corsair void, turtle beach, other gayman shit.

I also want them to be able to take out the cord so I can put a mic like this in it
v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

Is there a flowchart for headphone advice?

I got the Bose QC35 but the noise cancelling isn't ideal when I'm working from home.

Too many headphones for a flow chart, user. Why don't you just fill out the form?

alright then.

Budget
up to ~350

Source
PC

Type
Full size, don't care about open/closed that much. Never tried open before.

Comfort level
Comfortable enough to use them 8 hours a day.

I basically want headphones to use when working from home where I can still hear the fucking doorbell or a telephone ringing. The Bose QC 35 are comfortable enough but the noise cancelling is overkill. I wish they had made it optional.

The 600 is the best headphone I've ever tried, slightly bass shy but an eq tweak fixes that. The 650 is a slightly worse version of the 600, though it's the second best headphone headphone I've ever tried.

600 is the end game. Period.

The HD 600 is just a more neutral version of HD 650s, which can be OK, for some, and not as much for others.

Bass roll off won't go really good with some bassy electronic music is you really want dat bass but they are to damn consistent and god with their mid range and vocals that even electronic music feels nice. Get HD600 and bumb bass, they respond really good to EQ, HD650 respond slightly worse.

They sound very close, but the 650 isn't some 'bassy version' of the 600's like some claim. It doesn't sound bassy at all in comparison, it just doesn't sound as clean, or nice.

How do I make my Momentum M2 AEBT not lag and stutter when connected to my Linux laptop over bluetooth?

HiFiman after 4 months.

Ayy, HiFisnaps!

Model, user?

Stop using bluetooth and switch to wired only.

Wired works, but it's very impractical when I'm cooking or doing other stuff.

G933. Not an audiophile by any means. Just wanted a wireless headphones and it was a good deal on BF last year.

HE-400I

My Fulla 2 arrived today, got it because my on board would crackle.

Even with my meme headphones (Takstar 2050 and SHP 9500), the sound is noticeably better.
The SHP's are more affected by the Fulla 2, way more responsive to eq now. Makes the 2050's sound pretty muddy and unclear in comparison.

Gonna send the Takstar's back and save up for hd600's or 880's.

HiFiman plastic is as bad as AKG and Sennheiser plastic, but how did they snap?

Also looking to upgrade; do you know what onboard DAC you had?

For

repost the pic

Just whatever came with my 5 year old HP all in one, nothing good.

i love complaining about headphones being made with shitty plastic while still buying headphones made with shitty plastic

Coming from an ALC1150, do you think there would be a noticeable difference?

Thanks either way, though.

Not a clue user, I am merely a plebian.
My path to mid-fi hell has only just begun.

No. Can't post from phone without PII embedded.

HiFiMAN are garbage. This is from regular use. I was extremely careful with them and never tugged on it.

Called them up and they want $80 for a replacement. Have to send it in.

Then you will have interruptions and skipping. That's the nature of the beast with Bluetooth

>marantz pm5005 work well
They don't say anything about the headphone output. It's an unknown.
Knowing how most receivers are designed, output impedance is probably somewhat high.

A parametric EQ has three settings: magnitude, center frequency, and spread. The spread of the filter can be expressed either by the Q factor or the octave width.

The goal is to use your parametric EQ to effectively sculpt the response to your liking. If you become skillful with using a parametric, you can craft whatever response you like. Coloration, detail, soundstage, channel matching, and more are all yours to manipulate.
The use of log sine sweeps, also called chirps, will prove helpful in targeting irksome frequency ranges.

>more responsive to eq
>they respond really good to EQ
That's not how that works. You define a target response, and use filters to approximate an inverse function to achieve that response.
The first concern is whether the response is reproducible. If the transfer function is not well reproducible, the observed variation when it is used interferes with the intended correction.
The next concerns are digital level and nonlinear properties of the driver. Playback level will be on the electronics, whether they generate enough voltage at the driver. Nonlinearity is not always a serious concern, but these issues emerge with increased output level.

I've got Fidelio X2's and HD598's
are the HiFiMAN HE-350s worth looking at for me, or would they be too redundant? Kind of looking for another set of cans, but unsure of where to go.

But the specs tell me it's supported, and it just werks on Windows.

hey faggots, doen anyone know a good ali shop with cheap make up stuff?
I don't want to pay for milion packages.

You already have two headphones with different sound signatures. I don't know what the HE-350s have what you already don't have. Maybe you like bright headphones?

>Kind of looking for another set of cans
How come? I know nothing about you just from those headphones. Why do you want new headphones?

I don't know how to read these charts.

I can read those quints!

Ayyy, check em'

My PortaPros came in today and really like them. They're comfy, light and compact. They don't leak as bad as a lot of people said they do and isolation is to be expected to open backed phones.

Buy the HE-400I instead. It costs more but it's definitely worth it. What's the point of hifiman if not for planar?

This, HD600 and HD650 are very close in sound and are more alike than different. If you like the HD600, you'll like the HD650 and vice-versa. Whichever you prefer would be down to tastes.

DT770. Lots of sub-bass and top end treble makes for a unique experience compared to what you've got.

They're supposed to tell you the sensitivity. If you put in a voltage at some frequency, you get so and so sound pressure out of it. Unfortunately people tend to take away the voltage reference point, so you have to figure that out from the spec.

hmm

Nice bump

Best waifu coming in.

Quality decisions, user.
What do you use to power them?

Using a O2.

Is the red part of the HD600 supposed to be on the left or right ear?

yes

Look under the HD600 logo and it will say.

/hpg/, I need help.

I'm trying my hardest to not buy the THX00 since I want to be financially responsible and stuff. It's perfect for the sound signature I'm looking for.

My alternatives seem to be:

DT770 - highs are supposed to be painful

Fidelio X2 - I hear that the sub is good for open cans but in general it's a little lacking

I'm really looking for sub bass without fatiguing highs. Please, tell me I don't need to spend $400 to get the sound I want.

K712

Get 770's and EQ them.

K7XX is on Massdrop right now, basically the same thing.

Good evening.
>Best waifu coming in.
Thanks for the intro :p

You can also look into the audioquest nighthawk. They have a dark sound, and I've seen them go new for as low as around $300 (essentially a mid-point in price between the X2 and the TH-X00), and you can probably find them used for a tad less.

Anyone ever use the Philips SHP9500? Are they as good for the price as everyone on amazon says?

They're Trusty Fucks [TM] you silly goose (R)

I have a pair and I really like them, be careful if you're sensitive to treble though. I'm thankfully not, so I love them.

Why is literal shilling for a specific headphone allowed in the OP/

It's some generic anime slut wearing a popular headphone. Hardly counts as shilling. As much as I dislike the sennshilling, this isn't an example of it.

because at least this 'headphone general' has a picture of some headphones in it for once, stopping all those uninitiated to the catalogue from creating multiple threads on the subject, and then getting told off cos some 'headphone general' OP decided to start with a pic of a cat or soem poop

no questions here, jus popping in to say i'm expecting a set of DT770's in the post, after wearing out my AIAIAI tma-2's

thanks Sup Forums

I can't. They're really good value compared to my hd800, but the hd600 requires a good/well matched amp to shine.

HD598se, HD600, HD650 + fulla2.

They're all open, as you're ok with either, and closed compromises everything for isolation.

>HD598, Fidelio X2
Which do you like more? What are you looking for on new phones?

Hello /hpg/.

>Budget
~100-150$, less is better because everything costs more here
>Location
Israel
>Source
My phone
>Type of headphone
Full sized , meant for travel to be carried around in a bag so should be sturdy and possibly fold-able (not a must)
I'm fine with both over-ear and on-ear, prefer on-ear though
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Not that important, if I can tolerate my Grados I can tolerate just about anything
>Sound signature
As neutral as possible preferably - like the Grados, I like the sounds to be as clear and distinct as possible. No shrill highs and no thunderous muddy bass.
>Past headphones
HD-681 EVO's (rip in pieces chinkshit), Grado SR-225e

At home I'm perfectly set with the Grados, but I'm looking for something good to be used on bus rides and trains and all that sort of jazz. I listen mostly to prog rock, some new wave (Talking Heads-type stuff), some folk.

At some point, they're going to rerelease the HD6XX for $200.

Knowing that is the only reason I haven't broken down and bought a HD650 and a amp/dac.

I loved mine until I got an X2. Still find them good and comfy as fuck.

>At some point, they're going to rerelease the HD6XX for $200.
Highly unlikely. Pretty sure monoprice paid sennheiser for the marketing stunt. It did get a lot of people registered into monoprice, but also cheapened sennheiser's brand.

It's unlikely they'll ever do that again.

Should we like start to mosaic censor headphones in drawn art here?

Usually the anime pictures that are used have some king of akg. I don't give a shit when that's the case and neither should you.

My fulla 2 just arrived but there's a problem. For some reason my EQ won't work with it. I've done all the obvious things, but nothing is making it work. Anyone else had this problem with a new amp? anyway what should I be doing with pic related? my e10k and o2 don't have these options.

Use EQ APO