Rooting & Installing Custom ROM on Xperia Play

Just purchased this device to run emulators. Would like to root or install a custom ROM to help boost the performance a bit.
How would I go about doing this? The few guides I found are many years old.
The device is on Android 2.3.2. Would appreciate some help or advice.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2nOjaFoaQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

uh well that shit is ancient and I doubt you are going to get decent performace out of any emulator on it, sorry.

Not OP but from what I've seen you can get fairly good performance up to the PS1 era (barring N64). You may even be able to play some PSP games.

Start with XDA, this place is useless

>You may even be able to play some PSP games.
I wouldn't bet on it

There hasn't been any activity on XDA for this phone in years.

It "works". It's basically unplayable though.
youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2nOjaFoaQ

Op are you retarded?
Why not buy a PSP go ????

It can handle emulation just fine. NES, SNES, GB-GBA, N64, PS1.

This is better.

>How would I go about doing this?
Sell it back and buy a PS Vita.

it's completely useless
for emulating, there are lots of cheap devices with a ton more power, Play can barely deal with PS1 games and GBA, some SNES titles don't even work without slowdowns

it's rubbish as a phone due to horrible battery life, outdated hardware, bulkiness and outdated OS - and if you think this can be solved by custom roms, the hardware is so outdated that newer ones are barely functional, bug ridden piles of mess

don't bother, really.

PS Vita memory cards are extremely expensive, and the hand held its self is not cheap. I got the device brand new for $40.

Sorry but that is bullshit. It can handle GB-GBA with no problems. It can certainly play PS1, it even comes with Crash.

Alternatives for OP

1) realise you made a mistake, sell that shit and buy PSP/Nintendo DS

2) off yourself

Get this if you want a handheld emulator OP. Throw that shit you have away it's useless.

What is so much better about a PSP? I had one and it wasn't even that good, emulation wasn't accurate at all.

>throw away

Mate the PSP has flawless emulation of PS1 and everything before it, and near flawless GBA emulation. They never managed to make Nintendo 64 games decently playable though, which sucks. I still beat a coup`le temples of Ocarina of Time on it

So? The old roms and guides are still up.

The PSP GO?

Or any PSP, the Go has the same specs

PSP can't even play SNES games at full speed
I'll give you ps1, some games have issues but for the most part it runs everything

>$350
>tablet processor

Nah, i'm good

>fan on a device that small
>battery life 2 hours
>Windows 10
>$400

Jesus fucking Christ

Wrong device.

Absolutely

Don't buy that piece of shit

OP here. Am I better off returning it and getting a refund?

Yes you nigger. It's useless if you want emulation get this

Yes!

It's outdated.

Get your money back and get a secondhand psp or Nintendo DS or even better a portable raspberry pi

How much did you pay?

Yeah, don't buy chinese shit, steer clear of those products

iirc there's a hardware fan switch on it, it's a portable x86 so automaticaly 10x better than any phone/tablet and emulators wouldn't have problems with lower clock speeds for passive cooling anyway.

Now the controls seems to be shit but that's a separate problem.

$40 for a brand new one, honestly wasn't a bad deal.

I would never buy that piece of shit.

Nintendo DS is your best bet for emulation i would say.
Or get some more money, buy a raspberry pi, 3d print a case, buy a screen and a battery and make yourself a portable Linux emulation device thingy

2DS is pretty cheap so that is an option. I just hate that it's harder to take with you.
I have an old 3DS but it is kinda worn down.
Raspberry Pi seems like a good idea but it would be somewhat expensive.

>talking shit about the GPD XD

Fine OP you deserve to eat shit , you and that other guy.

>I-Id like to r-run emulators!
>I bought this outdated xperia!
>HURR BUT I WON'T BUY THE BEST HANDHELD FOR EMULATION OUT THERE

Kill yourself

That's the XD not the Win, this thing runs Android and costs like 150$

But it's expensive
And battery is a shit

Because there is no way I am going to spend $150+ on it, I can get a Vita for that price.

Ah, don't know pros and cons of it then. An android with a controller? Eh.

Have a decent phone?

Buy a cool Bluetooth controller for 20-30 bucks and you're set

>bluetooth controller

I do have a pretty decent phone (Note 5) but my issue is the location to place it so I can play. I wouldn't even consider buying one of the regular controllers that attaches to your phone, it's bulky.

Yeah... it's okay, Mediatek ARM chip but the contoller itself is really decent. One of my friends bought one for his son, he loves playing the games his dad played when he was a kid, I think he's raising him to become an contrarian faggot just as himself.

>Mediatek

That phone kept turning itself off. Using it gave me tons of headaches.

I finally sold it and got myself a Nexus 5X.

What is so much better about a PSP? I had one and it wasn't even that good, emulation wasn't accurate at all.
I dunno what the fuck you did, but I was able to emulate all my PS1 games flawlessly, as well as any cracked PSP games (although yeah that's not emulation), and GB/GBA games without a single hassle.

OP here returning the Xperia, fuck it. I'll keep my eyes out on a cheap PSP GO.

How was the battery life?

That phone is like 5years old, dude!
And when it came out its specs were already 2 years old.

>I can get a Vita for that price.
You could get a VitaTV for one third that price and play pretty much everything the PSP could and almost all the vita games.

You don't even need the expensive memory cards now for the vitatv.

Yea I am returning it. It can handle emulation just fine but meh fuck it.

Looking more for a portable. Vita TV is neat but I have no real use for it. Not a big fan of PSP games.

The picture was of a GPD XD, which doesn't have a fan, runs android, and costs (not significantly) less than $400. You're thinking of the GPD Win. The two look different enough that it clearly shows neither of you know what you're talking about.

would be nice if they updated this phone with the latest hardware
minus the aids that is FUCKHUGESCREEN WITH RETARDED BATTERY DRAINING RESOLUTIONs
i'd definitely want one. dolphin being on andriod these days and all, that could be fucking great with the right hardware attacked

Way late bro but I don't want either of them honestly, I only follow GPD for the UMPC stuff not handheld gaming. I definitely looked into the Win before jumping on the pocket. I had literally never heard of an XD.

Yea man I would really appreciate it. I am surprised the chinks haven't done it. Imagine a spiritual successor to that phone with a SD 8**, 4+ GB of RAM, 1080p screen, 4000 mAh battery, and the controls.

>Xperia play can handle up to PSP 2D games just fine
>Gameboy micro size
>2 analog sticks (albeit touch) instead of one like the PSP
>Android
>Asking Sup Forums for vidyagay advice

You are a retard, why would you ever listen to this autists about anything vidya related?