Corrupting an SD Card

Didn't know where to ask so I'm asking here. I would like to corrupt my SD Card and i don't know how. I have tried ejecting multiple times while it is writing data to it with no avail. I do not want to actually break it or crush it or melt it, just have it so the data can't be read or viewed. How do I do this? Google results only provides results on how to fix or view corrupted data. Any help would be appreciated.

Give it back Tyrone.

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sd*

replace the * with the letter for your SD card.

this'll basically write random data to the whole thing.

Couldn't you just shred the device file?

Toss it in the microwave for a few seconds. That should do the trick.

You don't just want to delete all data on it by writing random numbers to it? If so, just use bleachbit or whatever. That will actually delete all data on it.

If you really want to corrupt, try looking at the hardware spec sheet for your SD card and providing it 5V higher than the max? Then do that to each pin?

/thread

Couldn't a format fix that?

dcfldd

...why?

What kind of effect you want to give? you want to still show the files but make them fail to open or do you want to make it look like all the information was lost?
If you want the first one try with a program that encrypts files to give an effect similar to ransomware, this way when the person opens the file there'll be just gibberish.
If it's the second one is a good answer, you can use /dev/zero but it'll be obvious you did it on purpose.

basically I haven't been keeping up with some medical stuff I was supposed to keep up with and they are requesting i turn in the sd card that collects data on a medical machine so they can pull it. I dont want to hear a big stink about it so i just want it to look like the data was corrupted or card broken so i can start fresh.

Just what kind of data do you have on that sd?

heat it up to 150C for an hour

Download torrents to the sd card. Broke quite a few doing that.

open the card and cut all the traces on the PCB with an x-acto knife. they'll plug it in and nothing will show up.

Write data to it continuously. Memory-card flash is good for under a thousand write cycles.

sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdcard bs=512

Yeah, someone else posted something like this earlier, I have no clue what that means. You guys wanna talk guns, or air traffic control then I'm all for it, but this is foreign to me.

TERRAIN PULL UP

either use a hex editor to corrupt one file at a time, or write random garbage over all sectors at least 3 times

LOL, that's more of a Resolution Advisory(RA) from a TCAS, that would go to the pilot from an on-board computer but yes, its ATC related.

for most normies this will do the trick
just fire up linux and make more than one partition on the card

If you want to destroy it smash it with a hammer.

If you want to erase it then erase everyone on it then fill it up with who gives a fuck to overwrite the data.