Best open source apps on Android?

Best open source apps on Android?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ntpsync
github.com/Free-Software-for-Android
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what do you mean? what do you want to replace?

There's not a perfect replacement for everything, unfortunately. I was hellbent on replacing everything with FOSS and some shit is great, some sucks and not all botnet apps have a replacement. Anyway, NewPipe is a pretty good YouTube alternative

But YouTube is anti-FOSS.

Nothing in particular, just wanted to see what Sup Forums thought.

he literally said nothing about replacements

I only use FOSS apps now, and I've had no issue. My favorites are:

Sudowars - sudoku
Webtube - youtube
Omni Notes FOSS - notes
Silence - sms
Vanilla Music - music

Yeah, but "what are good apps" is a hard request to fill. On the play store, where there's dozens of shitty apps to fill every niche, you can have apps without a purpose. But with FOSS, pretty much everything has to serve a purpose to be created.

Does anyone know some good games on F-droid?

Besides the emulators, Sudowars and Lexica are really the only native games I've enjoyed.

WLANscanner -- show live graph of nearby wifi strengths and what channels are free
SatStat -- shows which sattelites your gps is using and what cell towers you are using
Open Camera
QKSMS -- messaging
Gallery, Flashlight, Music Player, File manager... -- all made by the same guy, technically called Simple Gallery, etc. No bullshit.
Catapult -- launcher
AdAway -- adblocker
/system/app mover -- lets you move apps into or out of the system folders so you can delete them or give them root

NewPipe (youtube player)
Open Camera (camera)
Firefox (duh)
Apollo (music player)
Conversations (xmpp client)
Effects pro (simple filter/ color editing app)
Clover (Sup Forums app)
Any Soft Keyboard (keyboard)
Logcat (system log viewer)
ADW Launcher (home launcher)

Starun is the only acceptable game to play on a phone.

I like SimpleTask (not cloudless). Based off todo.txt and is open source. If you don't want the play store version, download the source and build yourself like I did.

I wish open camera had a quick setting tile available for kitkat. Any solution for that?

AnySoftKeyboard collects telemetry, read their EULA.

Any good foss Twitter clients?
Captcha: Calle Butler

You better be joking, because their keyboard is god damn awful and I was only putting up with it because I had no other choice.

freetards everyone

Is there a swype keyboard on fdroid?

>F-Droid
Reminder that the mouth-breathers in charge of the repo STILL haven't fixed their fucking VLC build.
This after a VLC dev essentially held the F-Droid mongoloid's hand in explaining the process to him on shithub.

Still no fucking VLC build in the repo months and months later. Jesus Christ

hacker keyboard is goat

the app doesn't ask internet access so i wonder how they're getting that telemetry data of my phone lol

Thank you for telling me about NewPipe it's perfect for my BlackBerry

Twidere is all right. It has some good stuff like multiple account support, and some bad stuff like no proper notifications because reasons. Much less cancerous than the official one if you don't care about the latter.

LibreTorrent, if you need to torrent some quick shit from your phone now and then.

twidere :DDDDD

xD

Someone tell me how to add calendars to Etar, uninstall reinstall, sync, nothing shows my new calendars, please help me

Do you have Offline Calendar installed?

I don't think so, do I get that from F-Droid also?
I had this issue months ago and finally got a calendar showing up, but I forget what hoop I jumped thrkugh to make it work

The calendar/s are work related though so I need them to sync like normal

Hey, Sup Forumsuys, I want to make a simple racing game where the currency is blockchain based. The money you can make to buy improvements and new cars are generated by the own game. How feasible is this on Android and how can I design in a way that is hard for players to "cheat" the system to make easy money? I mean, even if they cheat, the only thing that bothers me is the currency ruining gameplay by not allowing the purchase of items that are necessary for higher levels.

Just to be clear: I don't any money. The currency should be worthless for anything else outside the game.

Is Sudowars better than OpenSudoku?
In OS I installed 10000 additional puzzles so now I can waste time more.

No idea, but the idea that I can run out of puzzles is absolutely terrifying.

osmand - offline maps

VLC Player is the best of course !
I also use uNote K9mail and Canu from F-Droid.

Uhh I need a voice recorder for college lectures right now, the one I'm using is a piece of shit that crashes on long recordings

Echo

what is a really good app to watch anime? other than browsers ofc

streaming or playing on phone? mx player will play anything.

Are there any good FOSS Apps for my iPhone 7?

thanks, but I was thinking more about an app that specifically to stream or download anime if it exist. You know we have specific app to read or download manga, so maybe we have specific app for anime too. idk.

NewPipe is a boss at streaming and especially downloading. Very simple app, no comment section, no login.

Akhyou on F-Droid

Yalp Store
Good when you need to download botnet apps without botnet services. They also added the feature to download without providing a personal Google account.

thank you, exactly what was looking for, this + mxplayer did nicely.

osmand
syncthing
connectbot
riot
opencamera
document viewer
k-9 mail
ntpsync
vanilla music

I seem to be completely out of the loop on Android stuff.

Is Xposed deprecated?
What is Magisk?
WTF is Google Safety Net?

Tachiyomi - amazing manga app

Amaze - I have never seen app causing kernel panic on Android, but this one manages it somehow. Says a lot about these FOSS alternatives.

Silverfish
i think it's good alternative to nova, but you can't set multiple widgets
newpipe - youtube client
my expenses - money managment app, source code free but there's a paid version
usb mountr - mount iso as usb when connected to pc, useful for booting gnu/linux

I really enjoy 1010

>ntpsync
is ded

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ntpsync

>NTPSync is no longer in active development. If you like to take over the maintaining, go to github.com/Free-Software-for-Android and implement fixes. I will only do basic maintenance.

The author may not keep it up to date with security patches.

>Is Xposed deprecated?
No.

>What is Magisk?
AIO Device rooter/mod manager

>WTF is Google Safety Net?
Safety feature for Android pay. If you're rooted/have any mods it doesn't like, Android pay will not work.

May be wrong, but I believe I summed it up quite nicely.

MTG Familiar, Clover

so magisk isn't the new xposed?

>AIO Device rooter/mod manager
Not a rooter, It is a free root access managing method which doesn't touch /system partition, useful in bypassing Safety Net.

>Safety Net
Not for Android Pay only, It is basically an api, some apps like Android Pay checks it to refuse to run in case of device modification.

2048 (Game)
Amaze (File Manager)
Atomic (IRC client)
Barcode Scanner (name says it all)
Blockinger (Tetris clone)
Clover (Sup Forums app)
Firefox (web browser)
K-9 Mail (Email client)
Muzei (New art wallpaper every day)
Net Monitor (Can show active network connections)
Open camera (just found out through this thread)
OsmAnd~ (navigation via car or for hiking)
Send Reduced (One of my favorite little apps, you basically share your picture with this app which reduces resolution and strips exif data and then further share it with the real target app, I'd wish more people would use this)
Shattered Pixel Dungeon (rouge like game)
Terminal Emulator

Phonograph for open source music player.

How do I compile my own AOSP keyboard APK mister hacker

Thanks
i tried only the first release and i didn't know they add that feature

magisk, from what I understand, is used to achieve root without failing the safety net pass or whatever.
I don't think there's any reason to use it if you don't care about things like android pay.

I take that back, the audio is desynched in every video. The search continues.

It's not telemetry, it's just locally collected data on your device to improved autocorrect and shit. The data never leaves your phone

sounds like a gimmick

Stop fucking posting newpipe until they implement some basic fucking features

it lets me download nsfw vids, it's the only feature I'll ever need

what more features you want? It stream background and download. Light weight and simple app. It's perfect the way it is. If you want more features, why dont you just use the normal YouTube app or even firefox? Newpipe is simple app, stream and dl, that's all. Saying it need basic features are basically killing its simplicity. Do you understand the point I'm saying here? NewPipe: background stream and download. That's the whole idea of it.

that's like saying
>this simple app that many people like are bad because it doesn't provide enough features that can be found in regular app.

Being able to scroll through just audio
Watch live stream
Higher quality than 720p
Comments, playlists
That's all I could think without going back to the app and getting frustrated with its autismo WIP barebones feature list

you clearly didn't get my point you fucking retard. why dont you just use youtube app. newpipe is supposed to be barebone.

gentoo.apk