Underrated under appreciated language

Underrated under appreciated language

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

forth.

The lisp alien is ugly and the biggest reason why people don't get anywhere near lisp.

lua is pretty neat

Chapel looks pretty good.

Tcl.

>(people (are too dumb)(to learn (this advanced language)))
ftfy

(((())))))))))((((((((()))))(((()()()()())))) lisp is a vagina language

Shen, K

English

You're just jealous you don't get to hang out with girls!

Dunno user in the game industry lua is considered the standard if you need a scripting language.

you know how it works

>Overrated dead language
ftfy

I don't know... The logo is surely the least of its problems and the GNU logos look far worse, but the fact that its hands and foots look like bone endings doesn't help.

Yet that only applies to "indie" gamedevs that don't know what they are doing. No quality AAA game or engine uses Lua. Even CryTech that is dying is attempting to dodge it; that is, if they don't get bankrupt before they can.

>Overrated dead language
explain

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin

M-exps may have led to more widespread use. Still love the language as is.

t. brainlet

t. brainlet

What is good about it compared to Python?

The fact nobody uses it, so you don't stumble upon lots of code in the wild.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games
I can see quite a lot of AAA titles in this list and it's an incomplete one.

Performance
CLOS
Restarts
Macros
Better FP support
Better packaging/module support
Types

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games
I see mostly mid-sized games where scripting was an afterthought or not that important.
In fact, the only AAA game I know using Lua - in particular for mods - is WoW and they run in a lot of problems because it was an afterthought.

Most of that applies to CL practically, while in reality most fanbois seem to stick to Scheme, the inferior Lisp in worship of false minimalism.

Ah, I thought we were talking about CL given the Lisp alien (stupid metric to go by lol, but I haven't seen the alien used in other contexts). Guile is apparently good for embedding, but I agree, Scheme is the inferior Lisp.

>I see mostly mid-sized games where scripting was an afterthought or not that important.
So, where a scripting language mater? You don't need such thing but it save time and money when you can quickly edit stuff. And as i said the list is incomplete and contain just about everything ranging from lone indie dev powered by vodka and autism to AAA with a budget high enough to fuel your coke addiction for several lifetime.

>So, where a scripting language mater?
There are basically two scenarios:
a. the "we do it for instant feedback and ease" fraction that is basically either too stupid to realize that dynloading is the better solution or made poor decisions when choosing the host language
b. modding, where you may want sandboxing and maybe don't want to require modders having to install the same compiler
>And as i said the list is incomplete and contain just about everything ranging from lone indie dev powered by vodka and autism to AAA with a budget high enough to fuel your coke addiction for several lifetime.
Nah, it doesn't. And in the meantime most game studios have learnt that dynloading and custom interpreters are the way to go.

You can easily structure the code in a readable manner you fuckwit.
(
(
(
()
)
)
)
error)error)error)error)error)error)
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
()
)
)
)
) error error error error

(
(
(
()()()()()
)
)
)
error)

Which lisp is best for quick prototyping? Which lisp is best as an embedded scripting language? There are so many dialects that I dont know where to start

Just start with Common Lisp or Clojure. Everything else is irrelevant.

Racket

but clojure is not lisp.

It's lisp enough. :^)

The resemblance is superficial.
Clojure devs don't actually understand Lisp.

In infix this would be like:
>too are dumb people learn to advanced this language

Correct?

WTF, I love LISP now..

forth is shit there are not even types

Most normies don't even know about the Lisp alien. The main thing they know about is that it uses lots of parentheses, is from the 1950s, and doesn't have much high-profile applications.

Hey, I remember this classic meme!

>the GNU logos look far worse
Oh, yes, a big masculine gnu with a confident expression on his face makes women feel threatened, this is why men outnumber women in open source and free software projects.

everyone uses lua retarded

its gr8 for embedding

Guile is quickly being adopted everywhere as the standard - GNU made the right choice in going with Scheme. It's beautiful and easy and lovely.
CL by comparison is a disgusting bloated monster.

original lisp is the sensei
maclisp is the meek megane class rep
common lisp is the popular gyaru cow
scheme is the beautiful blonde loli
guile is her weird goth twin
elisp is this unimaginable hikikomori ojyousan hybrid
racket is the sporty bokugirl in spats
clojure is the dumb genki girl

Lisp is pretty highly rated and widely appreciated though.
To answer OP"s question, is surely the most true answer.
FORTH is so fucking cool and hardly anyone even knows or cares.

IBNIZ

Just because something's not talked about on Sup Forums often dosen't mean it's underrated. Almost everyone who uses Lisp enough that they come to understand it loves it. Alan Kay called it the 'single greatest single programming language ever designed'

I don't think stacks are fast enough on register machines.