Do I go back and get it or?

> Be me
> Go to the thrift shop
> Finds an Apple iMac g3 with keyboard (pic related)
> Plug it in
> Trying to get it to start by pushing startbutton on front
> Nothing happens
> I put it back and go home

It had a price of $12 USD.
Should I go get it and try to fix it, or just forget about it? I am aware that it probably wont run much. I'm just doing for something to do in my sparetime, this COULD be a project.

What do you say Sup Forums? Should I go back and get it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvXZVJXIyqM
hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050218164736471
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Should I go get it and try to fix it, or just forget about it?
Why? What would your project be?

You have to go back

This. Possibly on Tumblr.

Do get it to work. As simple as that. Then maybe do something else. Something cool.

Please elaborate on why.

It would be a giant lead-weight that would probably be amusing to play on for an hour, tops.

There is nothing useful to do with it as a computer. You can physically convert the chassis to a cat bed or an aquarium if you have no self-esteem.

youtube.com/watch?v=cvXZVJXIyqM

>Do get it to work
and what would you get out of that?

It's pretty easy to get a working Mac OS Classic version. I've done it with a PPC emulator.

Not really worth your time unless you want to goof around with the old school programs or have any old documents or something that you want to look at in the older system.

Okay, thank you for your response. I will follow your underlying tones. I won't go get it. You just saved me 12$ and a lot of time.

Ahh these remind me of art class back in secondary school. First time ever using a Mac. They were constantly frozen with the little spinny icon. Always.

The teacher was based as fuck. Took the piss out of the dumb girls and let us muck about on Photoshop. I'm pretty sure the guy was an irl shitposter and secretly despised the arty-farty people. Topkek.

I don't know OP, it's pretty cool and only $12.

Twelve bucks is piss cheap, I'd buy it and fiddle with it when you want to instead of actually devoting project time to it

Was it plugged into power?
The usual problem for not powering on, especially after years of doing nothing, is a flat CMOS battery. It's a 1/2 AA 3.6V Alkaline, usually by Maxcell. ER series.

& this is why u will always be 12 dollars poorer than I

>Twelve entire dollars
>literally 1 third of what I make hourly

I get being smart with your money but seriously, user?

Just make an aquarium out of it

Sure, its cheap, if you enjoy that kind of tinkering it cod be a fun project

I did a full refurb on a 2006 imac I found for 10$
Cosmetically just needed some cleaning, internally it had minor water damage but the screen was fine. Got a new mobo and some other parts on eBay for around 30$ total
Now I've got a nice looking imac in my collection

Be aware that if some autist tried to install OSX on one of these it overwrites the firmware and causes the CRT to stop working. Hilarious really.

How can you overwrite firmware by installing a operating system? Is it not read only memory?

>Should I go back and get it?
Yes. That's a steal. Take it home and fix it. It isn't hard. It just needs OS.

Watch Drauga1 on YouTube to see how to do it.

It's probably flash.

Ah fuck, yes indeed.

>It's probably Bullshit.
I have that model iMac running OSX. All it needs is more RAM.
In fact, after OSX was released the iMacs shipped with it and OS9 installed.
The early models (tray CD) couldn't hold enough RAM.

Okay, so it is bullshit. I still wasn't quite convinced, and generally firmware like that isn't written on flash memory to be destroyed by installing a fucking OS.

I got mine for free due to the problem described.
hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050218164736471
You learn something new every day :3

I probably misspoke and it alters PRAM vars. Was thinking firmware because a firmware update fixes the issue.

If pic is actually related and it's the graphite model, that's one of the rarer versions. Note however that if it's not reacting at all to the power button, it probably has a bad power supply which is a tricky repair on these imacs (due to dangerous CRT voltages, not to mention that a replacement PSU would be hard to find).

> $12 poorer
> not investing $12 in a device that will give you more than $12 worth of experience/education to
Shit like this is why millenials will always be beggars. They don't understand investments

get and smash

I would say no, because you can get working ones for the same price. I got myself an ibook from the same era for the price of a 6 inch meatball marinara sub at subway.

That being said, go ahead and get it because it's only $12.

Alternatively, case mod a modern computer into it. $12 is fantastic just for the case if it's in decent condition.