/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a7_2017-review-1592.php

Galaxy S8 and S8+ to be even more expensive than previously thought
gsmarena.com/galaxy_s8_and_s8_to_be_even_more_expensive_than_previously_thought-news-24159.php

Lenovo P2 Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Lenovo-P2-Review_id4329

HMD prepares to launch the new Nokias in 120 markets simultaneously
gsmarena.com/hmd_prepares_to_launch_the_new_nokias_in_120_markets_simultaneously-news-24156.php

Snapdragon 835 Hands On and Qualcomm Visit Part 1: Benchmarks, Performance & Power Savings
xda-developers.com/snapdragon-835-hands-on-and-qualcomm-visit-part-1-benchmarks-performance-power-savings/

Meizu M5s review
gsmarena.com/meizu_m5s-review-1586.php

Huawei P10 review
gsmarena.com/huawei_p10-review-1588.php

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

emag.ro/compare/DQYKR7BBM,DJKRL7BBM/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Galaxy S8 and S8+ to be even more expensive than previously thought
*rubs hands*

Post aesthetic phones

>looks like every smartphone ever
>everyone ever copies iphone
ebin

I prefer the pro and the edge to be quite honest.

the z2 is comfy because it's small screen

>No band 12
Rest in peperoni

also no band 20, but doesn't really matter since i only use 3G outside of the city.

Femanon here
Do you think there will be a "mini" version of the Samsung Galaxy S8? As far as I remember they haven't released a cut-down version since the S4 mini

True. But the pro is still 5.2 inch, which isn't completely unreasonable.

I wish they'd do an edge mini, 4.8 or 5 inch 1080p with 85% screen to body ratio would be comfy as fuck.

Thoughts on the Moto 5g?

4/64 good. 2/16 ain't worth it.

No.

same. with the success of the Z2 i'm hoping lenovo seizes the opportunity to capitalize on the (very big) small screen market.

Best bang for the buck, would recommend.

Ive got the cash to burn, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the Moto Z Play from the Redmi Note 3 Pro. The pros are, better battery life, stock Android, AMOLED, and Moto Mod Support. Any ideas?

>5 inch 85% screen to body ratio
>2700 - 2800mAh battery
>AMOLED 1080p display
>Same camera as the Z2 Pro
>SD625
>64GB UFS
>4GB RAM
>type C
>utouch
>$280-350 usd

Would buy in a heartbeat. It would easily put a 4.7 inch iPhone to shame.

the z2 has a 3500 mAh battery.. would feel a bit weak with 2800, especially with an AMOLED.

Carrier: T-Mobile US
Features wanted: Stock (or near stock) Android with reliable updates (latest software and monthlies), LTE band 12, VoLTE and wifi calling a must. Good availability of accessories.
Storage: At least 64GB (external storage not a must)
Budget: no ceiling, but keep it reasonable

What are my options?

To add to this post, I already have an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB on one line, so I would like an an android phone on the other.

Pixlel or OP3T.

the new HTC due in April

> been using a note 3 for 3 years
> It always has low signal strength
> It hardly supports any 4G bands

What the fuck how is a normal person supposed to know network bands change and develop every few months and phones older than only one or two years become redundant.

5 inch 85% screen to body ratio will be very small. I'd prefer 3000mAh plus but the difference isn't massive and it should still be getting ~8 hours or more SoT with a black theme and the efficient snapdragon 625.

My 3100mAh Z2 Pro gets almost 8 hours per charge even with relatively high brightness because everything is black themed on my phone. And SD625 is much easier on the battery than my SD820 is.

What phone? Selling the Honor 8

I asked this before but thread died.
I have a oneplus one about to shit the bed.

Should I go for something in the $150 range like the blu or Redmi or save some money and get the oneplus 3T?
Or wait for oneplus 5 so the 3T drops in price?

get the zuk z2 until Pixel 2 drops.

Get the Zuk z2 while it's $158 from banggood.

>htc
lol no

I didn't even know that thing existed.
Thanks, will look into it

just started shopping around for a i've heard about the Privs shit battery life, but is it really all that bad? i dont mind carrying around a battery

>

>zuk z2 $180 nib
I still have an irrational desire for physical keyboard

Priv looks pretty nice at that price 2bh

BACK TO /CSG/, ZUKSHILL.

Why do you need to specifically say you're female? Makes me cringe kinda.

Most women have tiny hands.

>Femanon here
Kill yourself upon immediation.

If the ebay gods bless me, I can find one that cheap. the Z3c is kind of my second choice ive never read anything bad about it

and im wary of any straight up chink shit like the ZUK, pic related

Deciding between LG V20 & Moto Z Force.

Question.

Why does everyone in these threads always shill the highest end phones? Sure the specs are great but the battery life of a Snapdragon 820 is going to be far worse than, say, a 650, and it will get hotter too. And the higher end chip is not appreciably better at doing anything you would normally use a phone for anyways.

Wouldn't it be smart to save a few bucks and drop down to the midrange?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new phone and I can't quite decide. Maybe some of you can help me:
emag.ro/compare/DQYKR7BBM,DJKRL7BBM/

In case it doesn't work, here are the important bits:

Phone 1 (Oukitel C5 Pro)
>2GB RAM
>Android 6.0
>8MP camera with LED
>4G: FDD-LTE 800/1800/2100/2600
>2000 mAh
>Price: 475 currency moneis

Phone 2 (Cubot Rainbow 2)
>1GB RAM
>Android 7.0
>13 + 2 MP dual camera
>no 4G
>2350 mAh
>Price: 429 currency moneis

Both have:
>5MP secondary camera
>2 Microsim slots
>1.3GHz Quad-core CPU
>16GB space
>1280 x 720 resolution

Second phone looks a little bit better-spec wise, but doesn't have Wi-Fi. Any opinions?

It's just some autist. Ignore him lol.
If you can get the priv that price then definitely go for it, but if not then I'd recommend considering the Zuk. Z3C with non removable battery just isn't recent enough for me to consider as practical.

Because the stronger SoC with more ram handles multitasking more smoothly, and the device will have other benefits like quick charge, better camera, better screen, etc.

Oukitel C5 Pro.

Better build quality, more ram, 4G, plus I've owned an Oukitel phone and can vouch for their insane build quality. Dropped my k6000 pro onto concrete with only a small scratch on the screen and a dent in the bottom right corner. Nothing broke.

He's just shitposting. I have no idea what motivates someone to post trash like that, but whatever. I've owned a couple of Chinese phones and they've all been good.

C5 Pro any day. 2 GB ram makes a HUGE difference.

I'd also check out Lenovo P2. better battery life and cheaper than the Z Play. You lose the Moto Mod support though.

How can anyone defend the iPhone 6s costing 700 bucks when it has a worse CPU than a fucking ZUK Z2?

Why?

>chinkshill
I'd really rather not, but if the zuk is like 3 steps ahead of anything else in the $200 range and i have no luck on ebay, I just might get one

my nokia N9 gets down to 20% after about 8 hours of normal use for me, I usually carry a cheap portable batt/charger just in case.
is it just the Z3c's battery that you would consider its weakpoint? or is there something else

to be fair it's not 700 bucks anymore, but it's still too high. Zuk Z2 is ranked 16th best phone right now for $150 which is insane.

iphone 6 is down to 22nd.

Any lightweight camera app that just werks? Hate Google and Moto default ones. Other I've seen are packed with stores and shit.

Right.

I have a question, i'm planning to flash a custom rom on my gf's phone, with a custom rom and unroot process, will she be able to play Pokemon GO?

Why would anyone buy the iPhone 6s when the galaxy s7 exists?

Zuk Z2 is great, but come on man, exynos 8890 is fucking great.

The battery will be aged. It's still slim but you'll be more likely to have issues with the battery, like it exploding in your face during a call or not lasting as long as it should.

That's why I recommended the zuk or the priv.

I love that Zuk phones are 1080p and reviewers criticise that. 1080p is the best mobile resolution.

Couldn't you just give a preferred phone/screen size?

Is buying from Aliexpress/BangGood really safe? It always appeared fishy to me and some of my friends told me when they never received shit they bought.
When it's a 10€ USB storage device, it's okay, but I'm fucking frightened from buying a 300€ phone.

Banggood and Gearbest are safe. Aliexpress is so-so, I wouldn't trust them.

When I bought my phone on Gearbest I payed $5 for a tracking number and even got pictures of the package when it shipped. These are huge sites with thousands of orders per day.

What's wrong with aliexpress? I've bought a lot from them and they've never failed me.

They're usually cheaper than gearbest too.

I've just heard stories about Aliexpress, and Aliexpress is much larger than those other sites and sell literally every object imaginable whereas gearbest and banggood is mostly consumer electronics.

>z3c battery
so if I opened it up and replaced the one inside it should be fine?

btw thanks for your help, anons

Should be able to yes. I'm on non-rooted CM13 and PoGo works fine.

>Why would anyone buy the iPhone 6s when the galaxy s7 exists?

I have an iPhone SE and an S7 atm and will be getting rid of the S7. Granted, I have the snapdragon version, but it stutters quite a lot (especially after restarting) whereas the SE has been completely smooth

Looking for a phone to replace my LGG3. Preferably less than $200, easy to flash, and good for VR. Suggestions?

>just heard stories
so basically you're talking shit? Never ordered anything off Aliexpress have you?

The Exynos version is really good. A couple of my friends use the S7E.

It's a shame Americans get the snapdragon variant, I don't think Samsung cares enough to properly optimise their rom for that processor.

Yep.
Gotta be careful to buy an original or good quality third party battery though.

They're just stories.
I buy from a variety of outlets and just go for whichever is offering what I want cheaper.

That includes aliexpress.

I personally have not, that's correct.

LeEco Le Max 2. The 5.7" 1440p screen is great for VR and LeEco has released kernel sources for the phone so there's plenty of custom ROMs available including an official LineageOS build.

I'm considering the OP3T because I'm willing to give OnePlus a shot, also because google can't seem to make the Pixel XL 128GB available.

The phone looks decent, but:
>5.5"
>1080p
>pentile

This is killing me. Can anyone with an OP3T chime in on the screen?

Isn't it 1440p?

FYI T-Mobile is axing their $30 prepaid Walmart plan (5GB LTE, 100 Talk, Unlimited text) on 3/26

>inb4 tits or gtfo
Honestly you shouldn't care about Samsung mini phones, they usually have sub-par specs compared to the real deal.

Get an iPhone SE, an iPhone 7 or a Sony X Compact
It's 1080p and it looks fine to me.

On the other hand I don't fap to anime on my phone so maybe that's my bad.

The screen is perfectly fine, great even. You don't need 1440p unless you're planning to do VR stuff.

Tweaked a few things with the OP3T last night. 86% to 48% 3hr 33mins SOT just below 50% brightness.

Also is it bad to charge your phone to 100%?

glass and metal ain't cheap
neither is a 10nm process
not even intel could achieve that on time

>Also is it bad to use your phone as intended?
No, but I usually advise against keeping it plugged in for a long period after it has reached 100%

Canadian looking to upgrade his falling apart Xperia Z3C.

Research so far:
>Lenovo Zuk Z2 $215 CAD
>Huawai Honor 8 $380 CAD
>OnePlus 3T $599 CAD

The Zuk Z2 seems to be the best value, but reviews say the camera is shitty and that's one of the things that really bugged me about my Z3C. Updates and a stock android style experience are also important to me.

So my absolutely fucked S7 Edge finally died, thing's smashed to shit.
Anyway, looking for a new phone as I'm back on my Xperia Z, don't want to spend too much and happy to buy used.
Sort of considering just getting a OP3T
Would ideally like a micro sd slot
Any recs?

Get a OP3T, it lacks a microSD card slot but it's perfect in pretty much every other way.

Keeping the phone on the charger at 100%, by charging it over night for example, doesn't harm the battery.

mi 5s or zuk z2 pro?
looking for a long lasting phone, so lcd might be better. Also how's the camera?

Zuk Z2 has received tons of updates including an official Lenovo Nougat version, but you're right that the camera is bad.

opinions on the new sony xz premium ? need a new phone to replace my s6 and i dont wanna go samshit again

Dropped it? Worried I'll break it. After my s7e getting absolutely recked I'd hate to break another phone

So you rooted, flashed and unrooted? Or is there anything else to do?

ZUK Z2 Pro?

Nah, it's a stable build of Cyanogenmod 13 so it's unrooted out of the box. Depends on the ROM if it's pre-rooted or not. Think LineageOS builds are also unrooted by default.

Axon 7
Lenovo P2
Moto G5 Plus
Honor 8
Moto Z Play

Is there an alternative to the Zuk Z2 that doesn't have a shit camera?

Sup /spg/ I need purchasing advice for a new phone.

Country MX
Carrier Telcel
Budget: about 5k pesos
Features: Best I can get
Size: Don't care.

Chink phones an option? ZUK Z2 or Redmi Note 4 Global for example. If not then Moto G5.

G5 plus

Think I'll go with the Moto, since this is a phone for my parents and will be easy to locate it for them.

4 hours SOT on 48% of battery ayyyy

Oh, ok. Got it!

Hey /spg/, could I get a rec?

Carrier: N/A
Budget: £400, could stretch to £450
Features: I don't give a shit about gaming on my phone but I'd like a good camera. Screen quality is probably my biggest concern.
Size: Nothing bigger than 5.5" screenwise, but nothing smaller than 5". Pretty standard I guess

I've been looking at the Pixel (lil bit out of my budget), OP3T (current favourite) and the Huawei P9 (meme camera afaik)

Not too bothered about chinkshit although the hassle of finding a retailer is kind of offputting

oh i forgot, it'll probably be my primary music listening device so if there's some phone that's good but is shit for music then scrap that also

Two things:
-How's the iphone SE?
-And what is the compact format android alternative?

S7 / S7 Edge. Beautiful AMOLED Screen, one of the best cameras in any smartphone and a good DAC.

Is the Xiaomi Mi Mix a meme? It looks incredible.

It's great, I'd say it's the best iPhone available at the moment in terms of value for money, especially now that the storage is doubled.

Closest there is to an android equivalent is Sony Z5 / X Compact phones.