How do powerline adapters work, and how can I troubleshoot a set of them?

how do powerline adapters work, and how can I troubleshoot a set of them?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTNKNPZ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they use the electrical wiring in your house to transmit information

if your house has wiring issues because it's some old shit third world house you can start troubleshooting that

You know how different radio stations can fly through the air at the same time as your wifi signal? Power line adapters work the same way: they send an internet signal through your power lines that the electric signal won't interfere with.

As for troubleshooting them, it helps to know which circuits in your house are connected to which. If you just have one breaker box you're unlikely to have issues, desu. If you have multiple problems, figure out what the circuits in your house are by flipping breakers on and off. Try moving the adapters around and seeing which circuits can talk to each other. Two adapters on the same circuit should always be able to see each other, so the only problems would be in cross-circuit communication.

It's magic.

power uses big copper wires. ethernet uses little copper wires. the adapter adapts the little wires to big ones.

>troubleshoot

use wireshark before and after the powerline adapters to see if the traffic is changing in transit

This, /thread.

If your house is wired for cable use moca adapters instead.

sorta related

since the wire is larger can we expect more bandwidth?

latency increase?

No, if anything a thinner wire is going to be better for latency, but it would be unnoticable, and i'm 99% sure bandwidth would change an single bit

You are right I just thought about it and it makes no sense. You can't get more bandwidth than your router allows anyways.

Holy shit.

How come I've never heard of these? The router I have is two floors above my room, and I was just about to buy a 300ft ethernet cable until I saw this thread.

Which brand/model is reliable? How much bandwidth can I expect to lose using this, if any?

depends on how shit the wiring is in your house, really hard to say

zyxel

also the longer the wiring (so distance between these adapters) the shittier the result

Is wiring quality synonymous with how old the house is? The townhouse I live in was built in 2006.

Depends if you live in the third world or not

yeah

I'm not an electrician though, you house is pretty new

I have some higher end ones from ZyXEL, fairly new model. I'm getting around 60Mbit/s. It's going through a circuit breaker. I used an entry model from ZyXEL before and got like 30 Mbit/s, so the more expensive models does some voodo shit that actually works, probably advanced multiplexing of some sort.

I can see workers working on Apple's new campus from my living room. It's safe to say that I'm first world, but my speeds are still

I have a TP-Link AV2000, costed about $100. I get 150 from Comcast, and from a good distance is the router to my upstairs room. I get about 40-50 via the powerline. Its quite stable as well. I added a third one, a AV1200 I had used before I got the AV2000 to a smart tv in my basement and the middle lights on the powerlines all turned red indicating a poor network, so theres that.

I almost went with a ZyXEL, got hesitant though.

Is this the one you have?

amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTNKNPZ

1. A lot of them are complete shit. Look at product reviews carefully to find one that actually works for most people.

2. There is a lot of variables in your home power wiring. The length of the wire between the outlets (not necessarily the distance between the outlets) will factor heavily into connection speed and quality.

how rich are you

His house is at least $3M.

I have a slightly dufferent version but they are AV2000 MIMO.

How does it know how to route, though? What if you have 6 power line adapters hooked up, how does it know where to send the data to if it is just sending it across AC, which has no data routing knowledge? Does it just send it to all of them and the correct adapter says "Yes, that's for me?"

So a single room studio with no bathroom.

kek. I get 1000 up/down my on Fiber (not Google), about 45 min away from a big city. Fucking Silicon Valley, what the shit.

They don't work

>get 400kbps down and 100 up if i'm lucky
>live in major australian city
government busy spending all its money on niggers and welfare cheats

My house was built in 1962 so I tried it and it was extremely slow so I wired a 100ft ethernet cable.

Powerline adapters are hit or miss because it entirely depends on the wiring in the house. If the house is ideally wired, powerline adapters are the next best thing behind ethernet cables. Or they could perform like crap no matter which adapter you buy.

Best case scenario: buy a good one from a reputable seller, then try it out. If it performs well, done. If not, return it and stick with cables and WIFI.