Why do French people speak English so bad compared to other Western Europeans?

Why do French people speak English so bad compared to other Western Europeans?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_language_influences_in_English
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg/250px-Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because they're the only nation that isn't cucked in anglodick

Parce pourquoi est-ce qu'on se ferait chier à apprendre une langue basée sur la nôtre, mais plus pauvre ?

Thank you britbro, it's an actual compliment for us

C'est maintenant un /fr/ancofil

Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais.

>be britard

>FRENCH'D

We already have to learn arabic, akhi.

>not being in some way related the the Great British Empire
I still sometimes cry about it desu

>Be british
>shitpost on french people

each fuckin time

Because they aren't used to English. Us neither.

Because they are still butthurt lingua franca no longer means French.

Nobody is even aware of that outside of Sup Forums, which is ironically the only place where French people do speak decent English

Then why don't you air English movies in English?

Because no one would understand ? duh

French are too slow to read subtitles?

>implying it doesn't automatically turn capeshit into capekino

>uses the term capekino
>leaf flag

The memes were right

Objectively the closest answer to the truth

Explains the pride they take in not speaking English well, it's an emotional thing

Why do you think anyone wants to bother with that ? They could just watch it in French

ceci pêh

>he posted it again

Because it's the original authentic sound

I guarantee you the vast, vast, majority of French people have no idea what lingua franca means, let alone knowing it used to be French or care about any of this

The closest thing we have is the old "yeah French people are supposed to be bad at English haha" which you could maybe says contributes to people not trying, maybe

Sorry but why would I waste my time learning english when I can learn american?

Which is precisely the reason why every hipster in Paris watches his movies with subtitles
But the average French person hardly cares about the originality or authenticity of of his tv shows that much to learn a whole new language

It's not about the phrase lingua franca, it's about the general idea of being butthurt about English dominance. It's a pride thing. That is why you are worse at English, because as a nation, you only reluctanly learn it, and take pride in speaking it badly, as seen in this thread.

Misleading pie chart.

>to learn a whole new language

Learning to read would be enough

Your butthurt english like to invent things to make you feel better about yourselves. We never cared about you.

>grills with french accents

>Misleading pie chart.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_language_influences_in_English

How do you explain Japan?

If they wanted to read they'd pick up a book

They just want to watch some shitty american show about policemen or doctors, it's not exactly like they'd gain a lot of meaningful insights from watching the subbed version

Most of the French words are scientific and legal terms, in actual conversation or general reading, French is not close to 29%.

No, I really don't think that's true, as he said most people don't give a fuck about "neglish dominance" or whatever, otherwise they would just refuse American culture which is everywhere.

People are shit at English because we have a shitty English education system and as said before all the movies and series are dubbed (for the worst) unlike countries like the Netherlands.

And French people in this thread are just memeing.

Sup Forums really isn't a reliable example
people here care about this shit because it's a board designated entirely for this kind of thing

i don't even know if most people are aware we had a rivalry with the english in history
probably not
those who do, i don't think they care that much either

>We never cared about you.
ok

>
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg/250px-Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg.png

because they dont want to talk to british """"""""""people""""""""""

Obviously people don't talk like books in real life, irrelevant graph

Isolated and inward looking culture in general. Different reasons, same result.

True, I havent spoke to many French people in real life. But on here at least, not just in this thread, there always seems to be a bit of butthurt from French people about speaking English, which I never notice from Germans, Dutch, or even Spanish. Always posting that pie chart, speaking English badly, etc.

Makes sense from a historical perspective.

Dieu et mon droit
Why English people use French on their passport covers? Is it a fetish or something?

Sorry, at least I'm not hostile to Anglosphere. (Some Japanese people are though)
Even if we're proud of Japan and its language, we'd like you not to think we're arrogant like the French.

Rasheed

>meaningful insight

Maybe they'd pick up on the jokes or atleast learn a bit of the language.

we'd like you not to think we're arrogant like the French
well good job now instead i think you're a disrespectful cunt like the niggers

>this denial when faced with facts
And a pie chart detailing every possible word, legal and scientific etc, is closer to human speech than a Dickens novel? I implore you to breakdown this thread if you are autistic enough, you won't get 29%.

The actual number of French words used is not directly correlated to the amount of French words that entered English usage.

Still has connotations with nobility and the upper classes from the Norman era. It's the same reason an animal has two names, one on the plate and one off it (pork vs pig, beef vs cow, poultry vs chicken), because the peasant Englishmen worked the land and the French nobility ate the meats, and they entered the English language this way.

>But on here at least, not just in this thread, there always seems to be a bit of butthurt from French people about speaking English, which I never notice from Germans, Dutch, or even Spanish. Always posting that pie chart, speaking English badly, etc.
I notice this as well, I also have met many French people and there are some in my extended family. While not all of them are like this, enough of them are to give me a bad impression of them as a whole.

Because you can get away with not speaking English in Europe

You don't need English in the Netherlands or Sweden either.

yea I said in the whole of Europe, knowing french or german would probably be fine. But they speak great english in the netherlands or sweden anyway

You don't *need* it per se, but your quality of life/job opportunities would be improved a lot if you did.

Well this is how i learnt English, but most people don't have as much free time as I do, and they'd rather not waste hours and hours just to learn a language which isn't going to be much use.

Even job offers won't actually be improved that much, everyone just says they're bilingual on their resume and not a single HR manager in the country speaks enough English to check out if that's true

Considering how poor the English of my dad is, who's the sales director of a huge international company, I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any difference.

Probably has someone do it for him, doesn't need to learn it himself.

Same with Chinese I imagine.

The English skills of French people are actually about average.

Yet there is only one country whose English proficiency Brits will dedicate thousands of threads and newspaper articles to. You never hear Brits complain about the poor English skills of Italians, or Spaniards, or Russians. No, because there is only one country that England is obsessed with, and that's France. To this day, nothing angers the Englishman more than the knowledge that France continues to retain its independence, its national identity, and its dignity, all things Britain has abandoned long ago. Nothing angers him more than the fact that his delusional dream of France one day surrendering to English culture and finally validating his thousand year old inferiority complex never has and never will come true.

>projection: the post

>You never hear Brits complain about the poor English skills of
literally no one cares int =/= real life

but of course we'd like to see our dearest enemy speak english

Because French people have a hard time with Germanic languages.

ceci.

Fug I got devils trips